CRAZY - seems like Tesla has been ripped off :)- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

CRAZY - seems like Tesla has been ripped off :)

Has anyone seen this crazy Deal Extreme deal? Well, to save the words, here:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

Anyone tried one yet?

Its got what plants crave
    Doesn't look like it comes with a helmet mount, or a cord long enough to use it as a helmet mount. Maybe a good starting point for a good light setup tho. I wonder if it actually puts out 700 lumens?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Very interesting.

I believe the bar mount is built into the light and works with the two o-rings they supply.

More evidence that we are on the cusp of bike LED lighting getting way bright and dropping dramatically in cost. This sort of thing is going to put a lot of downward pressure on companies like Lupine.

At that price, it's almost worth buying just to try it out.

J.

Apr 2009
    Been discussing it here at the DIY stuff

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...17384#poststop

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

I'm in!

Was planning on getting one of the GeoMan lights, but cant pass up the price on this. This light on the bars and the 200 lumen Hope Vision 1 on my helmet should be a decent combo.

Candlestick Maker
    I just ordered one. I'll provide feedback in a few months after I receive it.

;-)
    baker

mtbr member
    If you've never ridden with over 600lm on the bars and need a bar lamp that can run for 3 or more hours than opportunity is knocking at your door. You can't beat the price however the quality is highly questionable. Would I buy one? Hell yeah!

mtbr member
    About time this light appeared. Same as the Airbike in spec and I bet it runs much the same, Lupine style mount.

Less than $80 for a P7 'C' bin. I am getting two for my bars NOW.

About time we didn't have to pay for all the middle-men and even if the quality is low - so what. What is the lifespan of a light system anyway - given how fast tech changes. I have a box of high quality, expensive, REDUNDANT, brand name lights.

Can't wait to see beam shots.

Hurrar for this!!

Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldass
    About time this light appeared. Same as the Airbike in spec and I bet it runs much the same, Lupine style mount.

Less than $80 for a P7 'C' bin. I am getting two for my bars NOW.

About time we didn't have to pay for all the middle-men and even if the quality is low - so what. What is the lifespan of a light system anyway - given how fast tech changes. I have a box of high quality, expensive, REDUNDANT, brand name lights.

Can't wait to see beam shots.

Hurrar for this!!

my plans exactly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeler26
    my plans exactly
    Actually your post in the DIY forum was exactly my thought. I'll use one or two on the bar and a P7 Flashlight on my helmet. That's a lot of light for very little money.

The second is as much for spares and an extra battery. These can backup my Exposure MaXx D when I need for racing as well.

I have had cheap P7 flashlights for long enough to know they work fine and are reliable. And I am not reading posts on-mass of cheap P7 flashlight failures (here and on Candlepower forums). It made sense that Airbike like packages would come out at an even lower price. Makes Geomans $200 deal for what was the budget king deal versus the 'brands' seem very expensive now.

This is a very significant product I think. I bet we see more of these appear and even see them appear at LBS even if for $100.

I bet I never buy another expensive bike light again. No need now. And it will only get better. Big brands will become the domain of the old high margin, many hands, LBS model - so for the sod that doesn't surf.

This one does need some tweaks. The attack bezel is a strange addition for the bike. There to rip skin if you crash. No helmet mount I could see. And it would be great to see a P7 'D' bin version.

mtbr member
    Although the reliability of this light is questionable, I guess at that price you could buy several of them and if one dies you wouldn't really care b/c it is dirt cheap. If it only lasted one season then you would have gotten your moneys worth. After I see you guys (guinea pigs) reviews then I might get one just to give it to my friend who is in need of a light. Does it say anywhere what the warranty is?

Plus if you pay 90 bucks for it, and it lasts a year, you've gotten your money's worth. Technology is progressing so rapidly that in a year there may be another light that's twice as bright for the same amount.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldass
    Makes Geomans $200 deal for what was the budget king deal versus the 'brands' seem very expensive now.
    Yah, but you won't get my smiling face if you buy those there... hehe.

We may carry them if quality is OK. We know the source.

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Tell us your thoughts so we can order some up for sale if you're interested. Will take about a week to receive them.

Price will be comparable to DE.

TY.
    Last edited by GEOMAN; 05-28-2009 at 05:43 AM.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    Tell us your thoughts so we can order some up for sale if you're interested. Will take about a week to receive them.

Price will be comparable to DE.

TY.
    That would be cool. In the mean time I'm still waiting to see some outside beam shots of these things, preferably on a dirt or other natural surface. Can't wait till the early bird buyers starting posting up. Maybe someone send James an e-mail ( http://www.gearreview.com/ )
    and ask him to review the light. I'm off to work so no time right now. If I like what I see, you can put one of those with my name on it. I like dealers who are forthcoming and try to get what people want at a decent price...Thumbsup Geoman...

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    over half the cost of name brand lights is the battery, add in a smart charger and now you're probably at 3/4 of the cost

my guess is this is a cheap piece of crap that will have a lousy beam pattern, cheap under powered battery and a bad charger

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    over half the cost of name brand lights is the battery, add in a smart charger and now you're probably at 3/4 of the cost

my guess is this is a cheap piece of crap that will have a lousy beam pattern, cheap under powered battery and a bad charger
    Pretty much my point of view but you know the saying "you get what you pay for..."

mtbr member

About the lousy beam pattern: I'm not so sure about that. My two D/X P-7 torches use two different size reflectors and both provide an excellent beam pattern for bike riding. If they didn't people wouldn't be buying them. Just because reflectors are cheap doesn't mean they don't work good. I'll wait for the beam shot photos before passing judgment.
    About cheap chargers and batteries: I've bought many cheap Asian made batteries and chargers. Yes, chargers can stop working. A good power surge can take out any electronic digital component. The good part is they are dirt cheap. Buy some spares and you're good to go. I mean...What Jim311 said was right on the money..
    Plus if you pay 90 bucks for it, and it lasts a year, you've gotten your money's worth. Technology is progressing so rapidly that in a year there may be another light that's twice as bright for the same amount.
    as far as batteries go..batteries are batteries...they get old, they lose capacity, you buy new ones, same ol' same ol'....$10 for 2 x 2500mah 18650 Trustfires and I bet they will get
    cheaper now that 3000mah are out.
    One last parting comment: Just how long ago was it that people were dropping major coin when the bulbs on their $500 HID lights blew out after a couple seasons?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    About the lousy beam pattern: I'm not so sure about that. My two D/X P-7 torches use two different size reflectors and both provide an excellent beam pattern for bike riding. If they didn't people wouldn't be buying them. Just because reflectors are cheap doesn't mean they don't work good. I'll wait for the beam shot photos before passing judgment.
    About cheap chargers and batteries: I've bought many cheap Asian made batteries and chargers. Yes, chargers can stop working. A good power surge can take out any electronic digital component. The good part is they are dirt cheap. Buy some spares and you're good to go. I mean...What Jim311 said was right on the money..

as far as batteries go..batteries are batteries...they get old, they lose capacity, you buy new ones, same ol' same ol'....$10 for 2 x 2500mah 18650 Trustfires and I bet they will get
    cheaper now that 3000mah are out.
    One last parting comment: Just how long ago was it that people were dropping major coin when the bulbs on their $500 HID lights blew out after a couple seasons?
    so, according to you, all the manufacturers of more expensive light systems are basically ripping everyone off?
    Lion batteries need specific regulating circuitry and a good charger and I can guarantee you that your $10 batteries are not even in the same categories as the $200-$300 liOn
    (remember a couple of years ago when laptop batteries started to catch on fire?)
    as far as reflectors & lenses , again quality ones will be highly polished and the lenses will be optical quality
    this argument is similar to the sunglasses argument. do you buy cheap lookalike sunglasses or do you buy eyeglass quality sunglasses? yeah the cheap ones work and you can buy 10 pairs for the same money but they are not equal. I prefer quality parts that last and don't leave you stranded . I'm still using my L&M hid lights that Ive had going on 4 years AND I'm still the guy with the best & brightest beam on most rides

mtbr member
    so, according to you, all the manufacturers of more expensive light systems are basically ripping everyone off?
    Lion batteries need specific regulating circuitry and a good charger and I can guarantee you that your $10 batteries are not even in the same categories as the $200-$300 liOn
    (remember a couple of years ago when laptop batteries started to catch on fire?)

as far as reflectors & lenses , again quality ones will be highly polished and the lenses will be optical quality
    this argument is similar to the sunglasses argument. do you buy cheap lookalike sunglasses or do you buy eyeglass quality sunglasses? yeah the cheap ones work and you can buy 10 pairs for the same money but they are not equal. I prefer quality parts that last and don't leave you stranded . I'm still using my L&M hid lights that Ive had going on 4 years AND I'm still the guy with the best & brightest beam on most rides
    I'll try to respond to the three items I highlighted above without being too argumentative...
    #1) Actually..No. Where I come from the phrase "rip-off" is very strong language. Usually it is applied only when the case pertains to someone who is intentionally stealing or cheating someone. No, I don't think the big name light manufactures are ripping anyone off. They charge what they do based on what they think the marketplace will allow. Nothing wrong with that. Obviously, some of these big names spend a lot of time and money engineering their product. In some cases they use better electronics (drivers) that are better designed and heat-sinked. In some cases the optics are custom built. Based on these things they will spend money in advertising to let people know about their product. All these things raise cost. Better drivers, LEDs, Light engine design, more user modes, better mounting options...etc. ...all this stuff gives them lee way to ask for more money. Sometimes the price is justified, sometimes it's not but that is just my opinion. If money is not one of those things that you are short of then more power to you. Personally I have invested at least $1000 in commercial brand bike lights in the last two years. They work great and I like them. I got what I expected. I also have a couple cheap D/X torches. Yes they are cheap. The quality is ..well, fair at best. They don't have a lot of bells and whistles but can offer light output ( lumens ) that compare to the big boys. Personally I like the simplicity of torches. Does this mean I'm giving up on my Dinottes or HIDtech lights....Hell! NO!..
    #2 about the batteries. Li-ions are made better and safer now. I think much of the problem previously came from people who didn't know how to safely handle products that used Li-ion technology. Once again my opinion.(..ie...guy leaves laptop in trunk of car in 120'F heat.) If the problem of flammable batteries had not been properly addressed by the battery makers no one would be using the technology today. Personally I've never seen Li-on cells or batteries in the $300 range for general purpose use.
    #3 Doesn't everybody?:skep: That's why I always travel with at least two lights. If one goes out you have the other. I've done that for years regardless of what light technology I was using....because you just never know when that halogen or HID bulb might pop...or whither that LED driver just might go ka-put...that or you just forget to charge that battery..
    By the way, IMO...L&M always did make the best HID's . I was saving to buy one when the ( then ) new LED technology began to come out. The rest is history.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 06-03-2009 at 02:42 AM.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    [QUOTE=Cat-man-do]I'll try to respond to the three items I highlighted above without being too argumentative...
    #1) Actually..No. Where I come from the phrase "rip-off" is very strong language. Usually it is applied only when the case pertains to someone who is intentionally stealing or cheating someone.

I don't know, if the lights are equal and 1 costs $90 and the other costs $400 then I would call that a rip off. However I don't think they are equal. lets look at all the differences
    Case, cable, circuitry, charger, reflector,batteries and mounts
    take your $400 light, use cheaper plastic parts, a cheap reflector off the shelf cable and connector and don't forget the charger ( looks like a transformer to me). Then add in cheap foreign labor and no name batteries , yeah you could probably get the price down to the $100 price range. does it throw out the same light in lumens? maybe, is it the same quality ? doubtfull.
    I guess if you're riding around in familiar territory and don't mind carrying extra lights (just in case) oh yeah , and don't crash (don't think the cheap light is going to be durable)
    it could be OK. I would rather not buy and carry 2 or 3 sets of lights (not so cheap if you need several) but to each his own
    I'm including a link and some pertinent information on LiOn batteries
    " Despite its overall advantages, lithium-ion has its drawbacks. It is fragile and requires a protection circuit to maintain safe operation. Built into each pack, the protection circuit limits the peak voltage of each cell during charge and prevents the cell voltage from dropping too low on discharge. In addition, the cell temperature is monitored to prevent temperature extremes. The maximum charge and discharge current on most packs are is limited to between 1C and 2C. With these precautions in place, the possibility of metallic lithium plating occurring due to overcharge is virtually eliminated.

Aging is a concern with most lithium-ion batteries and many manufacturers remain silent about this issue. Some capacity deterioration is noticeable after one year, whether the battery is in use or not. The battery frequently fails after two or three years. It should be noted that other chemistries also have age-related degenerative effects. This is especially true for nickel-metal-hydride if exposed to high ambient temperatures. At the same time, lithium-ion packs are known to have served for five years in some applications.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5.htm

Apr 2009
    this is my take on the current state of the matter

1. LED's are now the way to go - basically lots of light in a small package with much longer bulb times and better more efficient use of battery usage.

I can say that i've had bulbs break on me at the most worse times and these are brand name manufacturers lights. Personaly i don't carry around spare bulbs, do you? A spare small LED flashlight is easier to carry.

2. Brand name manufacturers better smarten up and drop their prices else they'll end up like the big auto makers - BANKRUPT - so give the people what they want - cheap $ good lights and we shall buy.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    [QUOTE=wheeler26]this is my take on the current state of the matter

1. LED's are now the way to go - basically lots of light in a small package with much longer bulb times and better more efficient use of battery usage.
    somewhat true, but max life is still 3.5 -4.5 hrs

I can say that i've had bulbs break on me at the most worse times and these are brand name manufacturers lights. Personaly i don't carry around spare bulbs, do you? A spare small LED flashlight is easier to carry.
    Bulbs? not LED's , the issue for me is cheap components can fail at several points, broken switch, bad connector, etc. What happens when the connector or switch comes apart? your extra battery wont help you then

2. Brand name manufacturers better smarten up and drop their prices else they'll end up like the big auto makers - BANKRUPT - so give the people what they want - cheap $ good lights and we shall buy.

you get what you pay for, if you want cheap & crappy its available, if you want quality and longevity its also available, thats why its called a free market system

Apr 2009
    i've also had a niterider soldered wire come loose - try fixing that outside?

no-no this is the free market, your looking at it now cause i'm buying this and not a brand name !

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    i've also had a niterider soldered wire come loose - try fixing that outside?

no-no this is the free market, your looking at it now cause i'm buying this and not a brand name !
    good luck

mtbr member
    What I forgot to mention in my last post and the point I was trying to hit home was that regardless of how much money you spend on ...well, "Anything", $hiz can happen. Just because that BMW cost $45,000 doesn't mean something on the car can't break. This principal holds true with anything you buy. If I buy a light system that cost big bucks it's because they are offering something I can't get anywhere else. More "Bells and Whistles" is a nice thing sometimes. A while back my newest big $$$ high powered LED light developed a problem with the Li-ion battery. A break in the wires somewhere inside the battery. It was only a couple months old...Man, stuff happens just like I said. I e-mail the company and in less than a couple days I had a new "improved" battery. If you pay more money you expect not only a better product but better service. Now if something happens to one of my D/X torches I can do one of two things. I can send it back and wait a couple months for a replacement or I can toss it ( and cannibalize the parts ) and then just buy the newest, latest upgrade ( which is what I have already done with one of my other torches )
    I like this new "Lupine Knock-off" that D/X is offering. Yeah, it's cheap. Who knows how long something like this will last. My hope is that with a few small improvements ( ie...better heat sinking on the emitter and driver, better usable modes..etc ) something like this could be a decent light system that could last for years...Not to mention being affordable to almost anyone.

Yes, I already have the link to Battery U. Lots of good info there although it was last updated around 2007. This is a good link for info on Li-ion cells too..> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Battery...New_technology
    Scroll down the paragraph that talks about "disadvantages". There it lists all the safety features that are added to the cells to control the potential for "flame out". For now I'll continue to buy those $3 and $5 cells. In two years when they lose capacity I'll fork out another couple 5 spots and get more. No problem for me. I usually spend more for lunch in any given day. Hopefully, in the future battery technology will continue to advance and hopefully they will remain cheap.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 05-31-2009 at 10:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Does anyone really think the customer service on the cheap light will be the same as say Dinotte. We don't know but we do know if you buy something like a Dinotte they will do everything to make sure things are right.

Re the L&M HID, I have a 800L and 400L and the 800L is brighter than the L&M HID. With both on, there no comparison. And the price is not that different.

MB

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    any light sold on dealer extreme have poor quality. They tend to fail fast. I talked to other users who bought flashlight from this site. it sells at low price for lower quality.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Re the L&M HID, I have a 800L and 400L and the 800L is brighter than the L&M HID. With both on, there no comparison. And the price is not that different.

MB[/QUOTE]

the point I was making was that on most night rides my HID is the best & brightest compared with the rest of the group.Not that its the best available now.
    Considering its 4 years old I would say I more than got my moneys worth and a quality product. The cheap light may give you your moneys worth, but its alot less money/ worth

Apr 2009
    800L and 400L = $459

i can get 4+ of these lights with enough spare parts and more lumens so i don't ever have to call customer service or wait for turn around repair time

--------------------------------

as for my niterider light, here's the wonderful customer support when spare parts or service are needed

"Sorry, no international orders."

well i guess us buyers here in canada or outside of the US are SOL.

Here's my foot - there's your butt - cause i'll never buy another of your lights !!

mtbr member
    I'd get one of these, and then a huffy to put it on. Cheap is cheap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    800L and 400L = $459

i can get 4+ of these lights with enough spare parts and more lumens so i don't ever have to call customer service or wait for turn around repair time

--------------------------------

as for my niterider light, here's the wonderful customer support when spare parts or service are needed

"Sorry, no international orders."

well i guess us buyers here in canada or outside of the US are SOL.

Here's my foot - there's your butt - cause i'll never buy another of your lights !!

My point here is the more expensive products (Dinotte, Lupine) WILL go above and beyond the call of duty on customer service. They will also upgrade the LED's for very little if possible. And in Dinotte's case, if your battery dies, it's inexpensive to replace so you are not forced to buy a whole new light. (Can you say Niterider)

Niterider, L&M, etc cannot offer this type of service or just choose not to. I would not buy a Niterider product based on my friends experiences. L&M service is much better but the same problems, bulb goes out, ballast needs replacement, etc. (HID's) And when the new improved LED's do come out, there they will be w/ their new $500 products. Not that Dinotte won't do the same, but if you current system can be upgraded, they'll offer the upgrade for much less than a new light from the others. And I've seen Dinotte offer discounts if you send their old lights back. Good luck asking Niterider to upgrade you at a discount.

The initial cost of the product is not always the only thing to consider. In the long run, it could be cheaper to buy the 800L/400L when you consider how fast LED technology is advancing.

It's unknown how good or dependable the cheap lights will be. My experience w/ cheap batteries on E-bay are not good. I also bought a 200L light w/ a estimated run time of 3 hrs. Real run time was 45 min. When I sent a message to the E-bay seller (Asia), the response was only "our tests show run time 3 hrs". What a complete joke. They wern't going to do squat and they continue to advertise the same.

If you buy the cheap light, let us know how it works.

Thx

MB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323

If you buy the cheap light, let us know how it works.

Thx

MB

Will do. I know there is always a backlash to new products that undercut the competition,and the opposition is understood. However for someone that needs a light for night rides back from a friends house,or a gingerly 10 mile cruise around town I believe this light should fit the bill quite nicely.

I mean my last light that I purchased at my LBS was some cannondale light that used 3 triple-A batteries,didn't put out any light,and would turn off with even the slightest bump. Whats worse,is that I paid $26.00 for it because it was 25% off. Impulse buys are bad.

I ordered one of these lights (HA-III SSC P7-C) May 25th and it left Hong Kong yesterday,so hopefully within a week or two I'll come back with a glowing review. I really have no idea what to expect because I have never owned anything better then WalMart bell lights and the cannondale light I talked about.

mtbr member
    I like the category it's in- Flashlights, Guns & Lasers.

RPGs, apparently, are in a different category
    To the troll mobile, away...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    So has everybody recieved their shipment notification in the last 24 hours?

5 days-ish and counting!

What thermal compound would people recommend (AA?), as people already with the light have said that it is poorly built.

TGV
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes. Today. Ordered may 22, packaging began may 26.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Should be well wrapped then LOL.

mtbr member
    A WORD OF WARNING:

The next person to post up with a review of this D/X light who first gets the light and tears it apart before showing some outside BEAM SHOTS is going to get 100 of these > and a couple dozen of these > ..sent to their PM box.

≈ > ♥
    Wow. Am really interested in this thing...

Pretty damn cheap for 900 lumens.

mtbr member
    Just received mine. Very nicely packaged,and seems to be fairly well made,in my very unknowledgeable,humble opinion. Did get fairly hot,and very bright for the 3 minutes that I had it turned on. Its now charging,and tonight I will get some beam shots. Here are a few pictures of it. If you guys/gals want anymore pics,don't hesitate to ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Just noticed that the charger's LED goes from Red>Needs charged Orange>Half Charged Green>Full Charge. Cool.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I am going to buy on as well.

Is there anything else I need to buy beyond this, extra batteries, it my first night ride light ?

Would this be suitable for helmet use to?, could buy two if so...?

Not to sure I completely understand all the enlighten peoples here on things like extra thermal stuff (sinkpaste?) cooling etc. (think it was in the DIY section)

Anyhow, you guys really has my deepest R E S P E C T!
    The DIY stuff you make together here is superb, really shows what can be done through Internet, forums, dedicated guys with open minds for sharing knowledge!
    Open source minds, lights forever;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WindWithMe
    Just received mine. Very nicely packaged,and seems to be fairly well made,in my very unknowledgeable,humble opinion. Did get fairly hot,and very bright for the 3 minutes that I had it turned on. Its now charging,and tonight I will get some beam shots. Here are a few pictures of it. If you guys/gals want anymore pics,don't hesitate to ask.
    You probably don't want to run it at high too long without moving. Most high powered lights need moving air to help cool them, and as this is a low price light you never know how good the thermal protection is. The few times I've done static light tests I've set up a fan to blow over them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jano59
    Not to sure I completely understand all the enlighten peoples here on things like extra thermal stuff (sinkpaste?) cooling etc. (think it was in the DIY section)
    I'm not sure if I understand it, either- I know you have to have thermal paste between the emitter and heat sink, but I'd think that even in a low cost unit they'd do this at the factory- the thermal paste would be the lowest cost part of the light, and takes seconds to apply. If there isn't good heat transfer the LED will burn out. Plus, I'm not sure how they'd go about doing this. I supposed if the heat sinks are easily removed it would be easy to check and add some if it's not there.

mtbr member

Is there anything else I need to buy beyond this, extra batteries, it my first night ride light ?
    Most definitely- a spare light- either a flashlight and a large O-ring or rubber band to mount it, or an 'el cheapo' $20 LED bike light. This is your 'limp home' light should your main light fail, and there are a lot of things that can fail- LED, battery, switch, cable, mount. When I first started night riding I had a dual halogen bulb system (still my MB light) and carried a spare battery. I figured I was safe. The only non-redundant part of the system was the switch and about 2 inches of wire in the light head. Needless to say the switch failed- luckily I was at home.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey WWM

Thx for taking the plunge for us. The picts actually look like a pretty good product, especially for the money!

Let us know what you think about light output and if run time is accurate.

MB

I win.
    I ordered one yesterday.

I can't wait to get it! From past experiences dealing with DX It'll probably be atleast 2 weeks before it arrives though.

As for the thermal paste it's just a specially formulated grease that helps in heat transfer from part to part within the light.

It's the same stuff they use in your computer to mate the heatsink to the processor.
    Here's a link to the stuff.

The best is probably the Arctic Silver 5 although honestly any of them will work.
    You can also purchase thermal epoxy if you want to make the bond more permanent. It works like a glue and holds everything together.
    Personally I'd rather just use the grease in case I ever needed to get at the internals again.

Either way any more pictures or information would be greatly appreciated! I'm so anxious to get mine!

Edit: How long did it take to get yours?
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hey, it seems to be using a standard DC plug -> could be compatible with my Dinotte batteries... ;-)
    Too bad it's not available as a lighthead only.
    What's the beam like? Is it trying to mimic the Tesla's boom reflector, or is it like a multi-LED lens unit?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by California L33
    Most definitely- a spare light- either a flashlight and a large O-ring or rubber band to mount it, or an 'el cheapo' $20 LED bike light. This is your 'limp home' light should your main light fail, and there are a lot of things that can fail- LED, battery, switch, cable, mount. When I first started night riding I had a dual halogen bulb system (still my MB light) and carried a spare battery. I figured I was safe. The only non-redundant part of the system was the switch and about 2 inches of wire in the light head. Needless to say the switch failed- luckily I was at home.
    I live in Denmark, I think the big wildernes and getting lost in the dark isnt a major issue
    I am sure that when I lit up my new LED it would light up the whole country from border to border

Thanks for your reply, I will buy me a backup or an MCE P7 and create some helmet mount with the rubber bands.
    Last edited by Jano59; 06-09-2009 at 06:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Got mine today yippee!

Will put up some comparison shots later against my P7 torch and P7 turboferret powered torch and my 2 MCE's.

Battery power indicator is a nice touch, for the price im well chuffed!

Got some silver stuff for computers from maplins, gonna put a bit of that on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks in advance Moggy82

Quote Originally Posted by moggy82
    Will put up some comparison shots later against my P7 torch and P7 turboferret powered torch and my 2 MCE's..
    The sooner the better

Ohh and btw Congratz!

mtbr member

in for light beam shot! How good is the helmet mount?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Got mine today yippee!
    What was the total price and also cost of shipping to the UK..

mtbr member
    Got some silver stuff for computers from maplins, gonna put a bit of that on.
    I haven't noticed mine getting hot while out at night yet. It has been fairly cool though. 64F. Where are you applying the heatsink compound at?

After two night rides with this light I have to say I'm pleased. The light is very bright for urban night riding on high,and vehicles slow way down when approaching them. I keep mine on low because "high" will blind oncoming traffic.

I only have a couple pictures and I'm not sure how to set up the camera so that I don't getting blurring when not using the flash. The first picture is how dark it was. The seconded one is high. Third is Low.

I'll take a tripod up to the park tonight and get better,crisper,pictures. So far this light has been worth the cash. 2 hours and the battery still needs no charge. Mostly set on Low though for what its worth.

mtbr member
    I haven't noticed mine getting hot while out at night yet. It has been fairly cool though. 64F. Where are you applying the heatsink compound at?

After two night rides with this light I have to say I'm pleased. The light is very bright for urban night riding on high,and vehicles slow way down when approaching them. I keep mine on low because "high" will blind oncoming traffic.

I only have a couple pictures and I'm not sure how to set up the camera so that I don't getting blurring when not using the flash. The first picture is how dark it was. The seconded one is high. Third is Low.

I'll take a tripod up to the park tonight and get better,crisper,pictures. So far this light has been worth the cash. 2 hours and the battery still needs no charge. Mostly set on Low though for what its worth.
    It looks like you're using a camera with an automatic exposure system and extended exposures. For good comparisons you should be using manual, if you have it.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    I just ordered one. I'll provide feedback in a few months after I receive it.

;-)
    I've received mine, mounted it on the bike and ridden around a tiny bit. Very very bright, as to be expected from a P7 (I have used a P7 flashlight in the past). The beam pattern seems nice at first glance. A good combo of throw and flood.

The light is small, light, and externally appears nice. The battery pack straps nicely to the bottom of my stem. The lower setting is still quite a bit of light. I cannot stand having the flash mode. Useless for me and just one more mode to cycle through.

No idea on real runtimes yet.

I need to compare this light w/ my Trail Tech HID. If it is comparable/better, I'll probably order another one and use two of these lights.
    baker

I win.
    Awesome, I love these practical reviews! Keep them coming! Have any of you taken them apart yet? How is the quality on the solders etc...
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hear hear, how does the Battery pack look when out of the bag ?

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Popper252
    Awesome, I love these practical reviews! Keep them coming! Have any of you taken them apart yet? How is the quality on the solders etc...
    I am resisting the temptation to take the light apart. I am trying to just use it as is for a while, rather than start mucking around with it. I've built lots of DIY led lights, so the temptation is huge.
    baker

Candlestick Maker
    Hear hear, how does the Battery pack look when out of the bag ?
    ?

Like 4 18650's professionally put together in a square stack with heat shrink packaging.

Not sure what you're looking for...
    baker

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Photo :-) guts, insides, plastics, rubber metals.... What I cant see or feel..... but you lucky owner can..

Candlestick Maker
    Photo :-) guts, insides, plastics, rubber metals.... What I cant see or feel..... but you lucky owner can..
    Ah...gotcha

I'll try to remember to take a photo this evening and post it.
    baker

mtbr member

Something is wrong

Last night after dinner I went on a ride that I suspected would run into dark hours. The light wouldn't come on,but after fiddling with it (unplugging,moving wires) it came back on. I was able to get around 2 more miles and hit a bump,and it turned off. There was still enough light for me to limp home,but I was not very pleased. After messing with it for awhile I finally isolated the problem to be in the battery pack somewhere. I barely have to touch the pack and it will go off. This entails me to have to unplug the light,and plug it back in to get it to start again. This works 80% of the time. Sometimes I have to plug it back into the wall to get it to reset again.

I'm debating if I should unwrap the batteries to see if there is a lead coming undone,or send it back to DX for replacement. I really need this light to work,and don't want to wait a month for a replacement. Does anyone know what the problem might be. I'll try to get a video up later tonight of the problem.

Candlestick Maker
    So....I'll just say that I've ordered lots from DX and will continue to do so, but there is a reason for prices being so low. The quality of the merchandise is not as high as say Lupine (that's an understatement). I know this, but I'm willing to take my chances and troubleshoot whatever might be the issue.

All that being said...personally, I'd unwrap the battery pack and check for connection issues, resoldering whatever I might find to be suspect. If that didn't work, I'd open up the light and check for similar issues (although given the fact that touching the battery affects the light, it is a pretty good bet that the problem is in the pack).

For tidying the pack back up after unwrapping it, I'd personally use a bunch of electrical tape. I'm sure there are better/prettier solutions, but that's what I've used for homemade packs for years and I've had no issues.

I would probably never be bothered to send stuff back to DX and wait for a replacement, but that's just me.
    baker

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey

E-mail the manufacturer w/ explination of the issue and see how they respond.

I'm just curious as to what the customer service is like.

MB

Candlestick Maker
    Looks like WWM solved his issue...good work.

Here are a few photos.

baker

mtbr member
    I'm really liking the price of this light. It would make a great companion to my 400l or for loaning out to my friends without lights. I'll be following this thread to see how the reliability is. Thanks for the info.
    '19 Surly Krampus '18 Soma Wolverine '16 Giant Anthem SX '12 Soma Analog SS '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    Looks like WWM solved his issue...good work.
    Yep. Thanks for the vote of confidence on unwrapping the battery pack. All went smoothly.

So it had a loose lead?

TGV
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    A WORD OF WARNING:

The next person to post up with a review of this D/X light who first gets the light and tears it apart before showing some outside BEAM SHOTS is going to get 100 of these > and a couple dozen of these > ..sent to their PM box.

Here is some comparison beamshots
    http://picasaweb.google.si/Tgrozni/2009_06_12#

Hope is rated 480 at max, primus race 140 at max.

Ok ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TGV
    Here is some comparison beamshots
    http://picasaweb.google.si/Tgrozni/2009_06_12#

Hope is rated 480 at max, primus race 140 at max.

Ok ?
    Ummm....Thanks, but no thanks. Those are some real "out of focus" beam shots. I can't make anything out in any of them. Others have already posted some beam shots of the D/X bike light so I'm good. However I am still waiting for Moggy82 to post his beam shots compared to his P-7 torches. Moggy?

moggy82 wrote 3 days ago:

Got mine today yippee!...Will put up some comparison shots later against my P7 torch and P7 turboferret powered torch and my 2 MCE's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Not been dark enough to do proper ones, check my PB now, gives you a idea of the shapes and distribution.

Bike light is VERY green tinted, im not sure if mine has been damaged, i have already messaged troutie about it, hopefully he can tell off the beamshots compared to the one he had!

Settings used: Manual - iso100 1/50sec F4 (fuji s1000fd) Will used standard setting when outdoors

P7 Bikelight

MTE P7-D (c-bin emitter)

MTE M3-2 MCE

MG RX1 MCE (simialr to tiablo ACE MCE)
    Last edited by moggy82; 06-13-2009 at 03:16 AM.

GeoMan
    Kewl! Thanks!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Well last night I went out for a night ride only to have the light turn off once again. This time it wouldn't come back on so its back to square 0 with this light. This is a very unreliable light,and I would never trust it on any trails. Its really frustrating to go out for a stress relieving bike ride,and only compound your stress because of faulty equipment. I've looked again at the battery pack,but cannot see what the problem is. I'm going to send this light back to DX if I can't find a solution tonight.

Does anyone know where I might be able to buy a separate battery pack? I'm just sick of fussing with this toy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you don't making up your own packs then I have previously sourced loads of batteries from popping down to my local computer shop, who throw away broken laptops for next to no reason, and the batteries (usually Panasonic Li-Ion) are nearly always very good and ready to go. My shop gives me the batteries for nothing and as a result of this, have made up two very good packs for my two sets of lights.. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EFMax
    If you don't making up your own packs then I have previously sourced loads of batteries from popping down to my local computer shop, who throw away broken laptops for next to no reason, and the batteries (usually Panasonic Li-Ion) are nearly always very good and ready to go. My shop gives me the batteries for nothing and as a result of this, have made up two very good packs for my two sets of lights.. Just a thought.
    Hmmm,that sounds like an idea. Its funny;the reason I got into bikes is for the non-electrical tweaking (I used to be into computer hardware,overclocking and modding) and here I am about to embark on more electrical gadgetry for a bike.

EFMax do you have the schematics for doing this,or is pretty self-explanatory? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi again. I am not an expert in this area, more of a tweaker who knows how not to blow things up.

I have taken the batteries out of laptops, they need to be busted out of their hard cases and are often configured to a voltage I don't want.

I have taken my sets and configured one to give me 7.2v (comes up as 8.4v) and one to give me 11.1v (comes up as 12.7v) and I have used a series-parallel configuration. I think there will be others on here who can fill you in more accurately.

I also have to say that I run non protected mode on my batteries and for the last 18months have had ZERO problems (my choice to do this) - that said both lights have smart chargers and smart switching on the light units that show charge/discharge and will switch off at a preset voltage.

End results is 12hrs at 15w burn time for one and 3.5hrs at 30w burn time for the other.

Once again, no problems but most will shout and scream you must use protection on the batteries - personally I find the protection mode hinders performance and reliability but maybe just me not the norm.

Apr 2009
    I just received the light today.

Turned it on right away - VERY bright - VERY WHITE - VERY small & Light - compared to my niterider 32 Watt halogen - dim yellow. It's a better light than the 32 watt halogen.

Didn't notice any green tint - have to check when it's dark outside.

It gets hot after i shut it off - makes sense since it's stationery - the halogens get hot the very second you turn them on.

I will mount and ride with it on today - but i ride during the day right now, so will be checking to see if i get any problems with it, ie shutting off, heat etc.

Apr 2009
    just finished charging the battery completely - the charger and battery do not get hot

Apr 2009
    just got back from a 2 hour daylight ride with the light on - no problems, going over bumps etc, light on steady - didn't get hot while moving, barely warm to the touch really.

I very much like the simple yet rock steady o-ring mounting system and the battery pack is also a well thought out and easy very secure mounting method too IMHO.

The light and power pack is so small you can literally carry a spare light and battery in your pocket.

Will post some night shots tonight )

mtbr member

I found a solution

Here is the video of the problem I was having.

http://vimeo.com/5189432?pg=transcod...ed&sec=5189432

I soldered a wire from the mosfet leg to the positive terminal on the other side. I then hotglued all of the wires down and ran electrical tape around the batteries to keep them nice and tight. I smacked them around a little and it seems to be fine. I will see for sure in the next couple nights.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    How long is the wire?
    I'm wondering if I can put light on my helmet.
    The best place for battery pack would be rucksack, with a wire going out through camelback hole.
    Is wire long enough for this?

mk

Candlestick Maker
    About 26" of cable length. Not quite enough length for my camelback/helmet. I may try the Lupine helmet mount and put a cable extender in the mix.

I did a night ride last night w/ the new DX P7 bike light combined w/ an MTE M3-2 MCE flashlight (also from DX) strapped to my helmet. A combo of technical singletrack and dirt road.

The combo worked very very well. I did some messing around w/ 1 or 2 lights, high vs low, etc. The 2 lights together is a sick amount of light. Enough for any type of riding/racing that I do.

The DX P7 light by itself is somewhat sufficient on technical singletrack while on high. Low is sufficient for slow climbing (esp fireroad, not so much for technical riding).

Light color is a bit different for the 2 lights. People have pointed out that the DX P7 is very green. The MCE torch is a nice white, almost creamy. Frankly, on the trail, I can't say I prefer one color over the other. For me, an LED color has to be way skewed to really matter, and neither of these lights are that skewed.

Oh yeah, the o-ring mount is convenient, but I did notice that I moved the light around while changing modes. Maybe I need a small amount of rubber around the bar or something. Or, just change my button pushing style to avoid movement.
    baker

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hi,

Have been following this thread with interest. Nice to see that most of these problems with DX stuff are DIYable.

I've ordered a People's Cree Q2 150-Lumen (seeing as it is the best flooder I could find on DX) with a view to get a second Q2 and have them both mounted on the bars. (FWIW Ive a 240Lumen DINOTTE for my helmet).
    I am thinking about getting this 700lumen beast though, even though I did Mayhem night riding using a single 240lumen Dinotte light.

Could anyone take any video of the light in use?

Thanks and keep up the reviews/investigation/blogging of this DX Tesla ripoff light....
    J.

mtbr member
    Well I've been on two 20 mile night rides since doing my mod on this light,and all is good. I haven't had one problem. Last night I took very rough terrain,and even did a few foot and a half jumps to flat without issue.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Did 2 hours off road in the dark this morning. I'm impressed. Easily as bright as my HID that cost about 9 times as much.

The beam pattern is pretty bad. Too wide, not enough throw. Hope someone works out a decent reflector upgrade for this.

Love how the tail cap switch LED changes colour to show remaining battery charge.

Didn't get hot to touch at all, but then it was 2-3 degrees Celsius.

Apr 2009
    How about this same light as the world's brightest rear light too !!! for 1/3 the price of the

Compare the current brightest = DiNotte 200L = $229 ! OUCH !!
    http://store.dinottelighting.com/sha...notte&All=True

then maybe put some automotive red lens repair tape or such $2.79
    http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...entPage=family

I win.
    Got my light in the mail yesterday and here are my thoughts.

Absolutely killer.

The light was flawless out of the box. No shards of aluminum or shoddy battery connections!

The tint on my beam was white. Compared to a Cree triple Q5 I built a while back the tint was actually whiter.

As for the beam, it's extremely useful. It has a large center spot which punches out relatively far and the rest of the spill around that transitions smoothly. No Dark rings or donut shapes.

My charger doesn't get unreasonably hot. Basically what you'd expect from any charger, just warm to the touch.

The light on the other hand does get rather warm. I took it for a ride last night and made sure to turn it off or down to low anytime I stopped. I live in Florida and at night the lows often times only get down to the lower 80's so temps will always be something I'll need to keep in mind.

I have one small complaint about the light. When plugging the battery in the light automatically turns on to High. Lets just say I've blinded myself a few times plugging it in

Charging and operation:

Battery charger has an LED on it. Red for low (i think, haven't seen it yet), orange for partially charged, and green for topped off. Someone before mentioned that it went from red to orange to green. I haven't completely discharged the battery yet so I don't think I've seen the red.

The light itself has a cool green glowy switch. The switch is lit once the battery gets plugged in. Cool for finding the light switch in the dark. Only problem I see is that this will discharge the bat a little although most likely It'll be hardly noticeable. The switch supposedly also goes to red when the battery is low. I haven't been able to test this yet as I haven't run the battery completely down.

Mounting was a breeze. Throw the battery pack on the top tube and toss the light on the bar with one of the two included rubber bands. Wrap the excess wire around your brake or shifter cables and you're ready to roll. The light is super stable even over extremely rough trails. I rode John Brown at Santos (one of Floridas more technical trails) and was able to blast through there at full speed without having to worry about slinging the light off.
    One huge mounting bonus was that I could mount this light to my helmet as well. I have a Giro Havoc and it has a little center area that fits the light perfectly. I threw the battery on the back of the helmet and now I have myself a pretty sweet helmet light!

Overall I'm extremely satisfied with this light. Probably the best 80 bucks I've spent in a long time. Incredible value and a solid product.

I'll try my best to get some beamshots in the next few days. I'll compare it to my triple Q5 just for the heck of it.
    Last edited by Popper252; 06-21-2009 at 10:30 PM.
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

mtbr member
    Good review Popper252 and please let us know if how the light holds up and if you encounter any issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    how waterproof are these light? im doing some 24 hr solo races and was curious.

GeoMan
    Got my light in the mail yesterday and here are my thoughts.

Absolutely killer.

Overall I'm extremely satisfied with this light. Probably the best 80 bucks I've spent in a long time. Incredible value and a solid product.
    A large shipment just arrived last night... We're shipping them now.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

I win.
    Awesome, I'm ordering another one. This time from you

Do you check the lights for any obvious defects before you ship them out?
    I feel a lot better buying them from you because if anything were to go wrong your track record proves you'd be there to help.

That and, while dealextreme is wonderful I just don't want to wait 2 weeks for it to ship from Hong Kong.

Thanks!
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

GeoMan
    Remember, these aren't Lupines...

We look at them as we ship them out and quality control seems fine. The company seems very responsive too. So far, so good.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

I win.
    Haha I know. I already have one and I'm very impressed with it so far. For 80 dollars you just can't beat the value.

I tested it next to one of my friends Niterider HID units and the beam on this light was not only brighter but also better all around.
    Thanks geoman.
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    This light works well on the helmet mount from Light & Motion

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Ordered mine last night from Geoman and already got a tracking number. Very excited wish I had ordered it one day earlier so I would have it sat instead of monday

Apr 2009
    while riding today - i use the strobe during the day, a fellow in a car asked where did i get the light and that he never say one soo bright, even during the day !!.

I told him to come to these forums and he can decide to get it from dealsextreme or Geoman.

also a few days ago a jogger mentioned "Holy Cow it looks like Solar Flare!" - and this was also during the day!

i want to be noticed on the city streets, day or night especially by the cars.

mtbr member
    Hey Geoman since these attach using o-rings similar to Lupines, will these work with the Lupine helmet mount? I figure you would know better than any.

mtbr member
    I ordered one of these lights from Geoman for a friend of mine in hopes of getting him to go riding more at night. Plus I get to test it out too . I hope it holds up for at least the next 6 months. According to Geoman these will work with the Lupine helmet mounts which is a plus for me seeing how I already have 2 of them. I'll let you guys know how the light is after I get it.

mtbr member
    I got my light and rode a trail in pitch black about a week ago. Its my first LED light. Its great. Works like a charm and the price seems appropriate. I do need one for my helmet now though.

One odd thing is the battery holder has loops for a strap, but the product did not come with any strap!?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I bought a second light to use on my helmet and rode with it last night. It's fantastic. No complaints about either light, and so far no mods. My goal is to see a mountain lion and hopefully not broadside a moose on the trail. It is odd the product has no straps but you can buy some at REI for a couple bucks in the webbing dept.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Interesting, I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. Which strap did you get? I see several, and it's such a pain to have to ship something back if it's not good quality.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    There are 3/4" nylon straps I had kicking around for backpacking that I've used for attaching the battery pack to the back of my helmet. You can buy nylon webbing from REI, cut to the length you want, and attach Velcro with adhesive backing to it, or just use the plastic cinch on an already made strap and cut it length.

I went for another ride last night. The helmet light cut through the cool humid air like a laser beam. I saw deer grazing in a meadow. Yesterday I saw two porcupines, a mother and baby, on the trail. It's been nearly 100 degrees here in the mountains during daylight but after sundown temps rapidly go down into the seventies or sixties, so I get my lights recharged and ride at night.
    Last edited by esXso; 06-30-2009 at 12:06 PM.

mtbr member
    I received my light in record time from geoman yesterday and so far so good. I made sure it was fully charged and ran a run time test with the light set to high and placed it in front of a small fan and the light ran for 3 hours and 5 minutes. It does work fine with Lupine mounts and makes for an easy on and off. I am disappointed that the cable is so short that it won't reach to a camelback pocket, but you can always mount it to the back of your helmet.

Since I own a Lupine Betty and Wilma I can say of without pause, there is no comparing this to a Lupine light. Anyway as long as it holds up I will be happy as I purchased it to get my friend out night riding more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ
    Since I own a Lupine Betty and Wilma I can say of without pause, there is no comparing this to a Lupine light. Anyway as long as it holds up I will be happy as I purchased it to get my friend out night riding more.
    Can you compare it to a Tesla? How 'bout some beamshots?... :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    Can you compare it to a Tesla? How 'bout some beamshots?... :-)
    Sorry I don't have a Tesla to compare it to, but I can try to borrow a camera that has manual settings and see about beamshots. I only have the point and shoot kind that adjusts everything on it's own.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Is the beam kind of a green color?

Cause I've seen a few beamshots from others, they looked green.

Do you have any dealextreme P7 flashlights to compare it to?

thanks
    Sorry I don't have a Tesla to compare it to, but I can try to borrow a camera that has manual settings and see about beamshots. I only have the point and shoot kind that adjusts everything on it's own.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Are there any solutions that might be available locally for a helmet mount, or do I have to turn to mail order? I'd rather go to a LBS or sporting goods store if such things are carried at the B&M level.

Apr 2009
    I got my 2nd light today, works fine like my 1st = pure white light, no green.

I put a strip of automotive red rear taillight repair tape on the front glass to give it a reddish tint and didn't lose too much lumens and put it on the back of my bike = brightest rear light in the world !!!

I angled it slightly downwards on my 1st ride as too not blind the things behind me too much, but i will put it directly to blind tomorrow to test it and the the reactions of the things behind me

hey it's a few thousand pounds vs a few hundred pounds you know

then in the fall i will order my 3rd light to get 2 up front + the rear light

ps. does the law, in Canada at least, say that rear lights have to be red? can they be just white too? Thanks

e5c
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Re the green tint

I have both a MTE SSC P7 and a DX P7 (bastid)

The torch is alot whiter than the bike light but I feel that back to back I prefer the green tint because it give more depth of vision 3D where as the torch almost flattens things by comparison in a 2D manner.

All said and done the differance is only noticable back to back either work well alone.

Yep I am happy

mtbr member
    Its been a couple weeks since doing my mod to this light,and its been flawless ever since. My buddies can't believe how inexpensive this light is,and will be ordering a few in the next couple weeks. Used this light in the rain yesterday without any issues. Very happy.

ballbuster

Steady shot trick

Ummm....Thanks, but no thanks. Those are some real "out of focus" beam shots. I can't make anything out in any of them. Others have already posted some beam shots of the D/X bike light so I'm good. However I am still waiting for Moggy82 to post his beam shots compared to his P-7 torches. Moggy?

moggy82 wrote 3 days ago:
    Use a tripod and self-timer. If you don't have a tripod, you can use a fence post, rock, little bean bag or whatever. You can hack your own tripod by finding whatever, and running a 1/4-20 bolt through it, and thread the camera on to that.

Most of the blur from low light shots comes from pushing teh button on teh camera. If you use teh self timer, then you push button, let go (cause its on a tripod) then, snap!

So, are there any good sharp pictures of the beam pattern of this thing? I'm very interested.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I got my light from DX and took it for a spin last week. I had my trusty jet lights halogen on my helmet and the LED on the bar. WOW cant believe how bright it is, I couldnt even tell if my Jet Light was even on.

Ordered another light from geoman for my helmet. Stoked

It would be really nice if there were some kind of extension cable so the battery could be placed in my camelback. But other than that no complaints so far

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Use a tripod and self-timer. If you don't have a tripod, you can use a fence post, rock, little bean bag or whatever. You can hack your own tripod by finding whatever, and running a 1/4-20 bolt through it, and thread the camera on to that.

Most of the blur from low light shots comes from pushing teh button on teh camera. If you use teh self timer, then you push button, let go (cause its on a tripod) then, snap!

So, are there any good sharp pictures of the beam pattern of this thing? I'm very interested.
    Beam shot here http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=532947

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seeker
    Is the beam kind of a green color?

Cause I've seen a few beamshots from others, they looked green.

Do you have any dealextreme P7 flashlights to compare it to?

thanks

The beam does have a slight green color to it, but not so much that it is a deal breaker. I don't have a DX P7 to compare it to. I did go on a 2 hour ride earlier and brought my Betty, Wilma, and the Magicshine light. I mounted the Betty and the Magicshine light on the bars and the Wilma on the helmet.

The Magicshine light has a good amount of spill and a hot spot that reaches fairly far. The spill area is fairly smooth and even, but the hotspot has a bit of a Donut effect. The light head never got overly hot on high. No issue on bumps either. The switch was a bit picky about being pushed just right. The modes are high, low, and flash which is not ideal and would be better if they had it only go to flash when you held the switch down for a couple seconds. Overall though the light did a good job and I can't complain for what I paid for it. Time will tell how well it holds up so I can't comment on that.

This light actually works really well when used along with either the Lupine Wilma or Betty. The Lupines put a a large area of light that that is fairly constant throughout and the Magicshine has a large spill and hotspot so together they work and the green tint isn't noticeable. I stopped on the trail and tested the reach of each light. I aimed the Magicshine way down the trail and it reaches fairly far with it's spot area, but still the Wilma could light up further and of course the Betty had no problem outreaching it too.

In one area I ended up you can get close to 40 mph down hill so I fired up the Betty, Wilma, and the Magicshine all on full power. Well I think maybe together they are bright enough for any bike rider. The spill from the Magicshine added a bit to the Lupines.

Two of these lights would do a decent job for a small cost as long as they prove to be reliable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've noticed during recharges that the LED on the recharger unit goes from red to eventually and briefly yellow and then to green. According to this webpage about battery care http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm lithium-ion batteries will last longer if you charge them just to just less than full capacity so perhaps the yellow LED indicates a near full charge. I'm guessing because the lights didn't come with any instructions.

GeoMan
    I ordered one of these lights from Geoman for a friend of mine in hopes of getting him to go riding more at night. Plus I get to test it out too . I hope it holds up for at least the next 6 months. According to Geoman these will work with the Lupine helmet mounts which is a plus for me seeing how I already have 2 of them. I'll let you guys know how the light is after I get it.

Yep, works perfectly. We've sold many dozens of these lights now. No problems whatsoever.

Thank you!!!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Just hit it with speed

Just received my P7 lights from GeoMan

I feel compelled to write up a short bit about this light since I didn't get all the feedback i wanted when i was looking.

First off there will be complaints even if this light cost $2.50. And frankly it feels goofy saying anything bad about a light as bright as this and is as cheap as this.

Nitpicks First - The switch on the back seems cheap and probably the first thing to fail. Wiring into the headlamp is very close to where you must squeeze the o-ring in, makes me nervous i'm hurting the wire into the lamp. Ummmmmmm thats it.

Likes - Build quality for the price this thing seems very substantial (i own a dinotte 400l, that i really like by the way). Very stable with o-ring installed. Very very light, light battery pack as well. Battery pack easily straps to the stem. Don't understand the complaint about no strap, the battery case it self acts as a strap if you unroll it. I like the illuminated light, easy to press but it does seem delicate.

Disclaimer - I HAVE NOT RIDDEN WITH IT YET. I bought this as a supplemental light to my Dinotte 400L for an upcoming race. I assure you if there are any complaints about it I will be back to talk about it.

For the light junkies I'm not one so bare with me. The light pattern compared to one another (Ibought one for myself, one for the girlfriend) is identical as far as I can tell. It is very birght I'm interested to see if this thing lasts as long as it says. However it's not as bright as I thought it was going to be but still usable by itself in my opinion with a cheap backlight just in case. Compared to my dinotte 400l (LED) these DON'T seem overly green if green at all, even when shown on a white wall.

Geoman - quick seller, buy from him, nice to have a person to contact about the order and if there are any problems.
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GFisher2001
    I feel compelled to write up a short bit about this light since I didn't get all the feedback i wanted when i was looking.

First off there will be complaints even if this light cost $2.50. And frankly it feels goofy saying anything bad about a light as bright as this and is as cheap as this.

Nitpicks First - The switch on the back seems cheap and probably the first thing to fail. Wiring into the headlamp is very close to where you must squeeze the o-ring in, makes me nervous i'm hurting the wire into the lamp. Ummmmmmm thats it.

Likes - Build quality for the price this thing seems very substantial (i own a dinotte 400l, that i really like by the way). Very stable with o-ring installed. Very very light, light battery pack as well. Battery pack easily straps to the stem. Don't understand the complaint about no strap, the battery case it self acts as a strap if you unroll it. I like the illuminated light, easy to press but it does seem delicate.

Disclaimer - I HAVE NOT RIDDEN WITH IT YET. I bought this as a supplemental light to my Dinotte 400L for an upcoming race. I assure you if there are any complaints about it I will be back to talk about it.

For the light junkies I'm not one so bare with me. The light pattern compared to one another (Ibought one for myself, one for the girlfriend) is identical as far as I can tell. It is very birght I'm interested to see if this thing lasts as long as it says. However it's not as bright as I thought it was going to be but still usable by itself in my opinion with a cheap backlight just in case. Compared to my dinotte 400l (LED) these DON'T seem overly green if green at all, even when shown on a white wall.

Geoman - quick seller, buy from him, nice to have a person to contact about the order and if there are any problems.
    Are you racing Marsh Creek? You're in the Delaware/Pa area right? If so, I wouldn't mind checking out your light at the race.

Apr 2009
    Just ordered my 3rd and i think final light

so will have 1 at rear
    2 up front

happy happy so far !!!

mtbr member
    Just ordered my 3rd and i think final light

so will have 1 at rear
    2 up front

happy happy so far !!!

Come on now, you know you need one more up front.

Apr 2009
    heh

If i did get 1 more it would go on the helmet - mmm now i'm thinking )

mtbr member
    Ha ha. Actually I don't know If I would want three lights with the same beam pattern. After going out on a couple more rides, I kind of like how the beam of the magicshine light works well with the beam of either of my Lupines. The Magicshine has a wide spill that is not all all that bright, but not bad and also a brighter spot area and either the Betty or Wilma can fill in the area that is lacking in the Magicshine beam and at the same time also help light up distance a bit further too.

I can see why Flyer and Geoman like the Betty and Tesla combo as the beams should work really well together and fill in each others weaknesses if you could call it that.

Apr 2009
    Sure of course those more expensive LEDs will throw out more light,

It's too bad that they didn't run these at the full 2800ma for a full 900 lumen, but after i get the second one i'm gunna check to see how 2 of these 'crippled' 2400 ma hold up at the front.

Actually i like the wide beam and wish it was even brighter at the widest edges than it is now with 1. If i got 3 up front, 1 aimed straight ahead and 1 on either side slightly angeled outwards giving me more lateral light.
    \I/

mtbr member
    Will these lights work with a Dinotte Li-ion battery? the connectors look the same in the pics...
    NKAWTG

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    After two weeks of heavy use I feel I am ready to comment.

This thread is strange. It is a mix of people amazed at the price, and people who are mad that this on paper performs as well as their product offerings or personally owned lights (seems like most "haters" are those selling competing product).

I am no expert on LEDs. Take my review with a grain of salt. I have owned several halogen lights costing several times as much as this one, all of which are not even close. I also have a taste for technology and have played with high output LEDs for fun on occasion.

This light is amazing. It is super small, and highlights where technology has come. Prior to buying this, I was planning to build a light, so I was doing lots of DIY research.

The light output us outrageous. Maybe it is not as much as a P7 based light at three times the price, but I have never seen one, so to me it is absolutely mind blowing. It lights up trees a quarter mile down my street. The night I got it the police came after I was shining it at trees in the neighborhood (not in peoples windows... down the street and at tall trees).

I have been night riding with this alone for two weeks, and it is worlds better than the lights I have owned previously. It works better on the helmet than on the bar, but not by worlds. One of these mounted on the helmet is just fine alone (I would/do carry a torch in the camelbak as backup). If you had one on the helmet and one on the bar it would be like daytime.

This is a crazy good deal and a great light.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by kroe
    After two weeks of heavy use I feel I am ready to comment.

This thread is strange. It is a mix of people amazed at the price, and people who are mad that this on paper performs as well as their product offerings or personally owned lights (seems like most "haters" are those selling competing product).

I am no expert on LEDs. Take my review with a grain of salt. I have owned several halogen lights costing several times as much as this one, all of which are not even close. I also have a taste for technology and have played with high output LEDs for fun on occasion.

This light is amazing. It is super small, and highlights where technology has come. Prior to buying this, I was planning to build a light, so I was doing lots of DIY research.

The light output us outrageous. Maybe it is not as much as a P7 based light at three times the price, but I have never seen one, so to me it is absolutely mind blowing. It lights up trees a quarter mile down my street. The night I got it the police came after I was shining it at trees in the neighborhood (not in peoples windows... down the street and at tall trees).

I have been night riding with this alone for two weeks, and it is worlds better than the lights I have owned previously. It works better on the helmet than on the bar, but not by worlds. One of these mounted on the helmet is just fine alone (I would/do carry a torch in the camelbak as backup). If you had one on the helmet and one on the bar it would be like daytime.

This is a crazy good deal and a great light.
    Agreed. Time will tell but the price makes it easy for non-DIY'ers to nightride in safety with plenty of light. We're selling three and four at a time...
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Finski
    Will these lights work with a Dinotte Li-ion battery? the connectors look the same in the pics...

I had the same thought and I think they will (and vice versa).
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Man, that'd be a huge selling point for me if true. Are the voltages the same between this light and a Dinotte?
    NKAWTG

GeoMan
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Hmmm, Dinotte's use a 7.2v battery. I guess I could use the Dinotte battery with the Magicshine, but prolly not the other way around.
    NKAWTG

I win.
    If that's true I could buy a Dinotte extension cord possibly (do they even make them) and use it to leave the battery in my pack while the light is on my helmet.

Anyone know where I can find an extension cord of the Dinotte thing doesn't quite work?
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If that's true I could buy a Dinotte extension cord possibly (do they even make them) and use it to leave the battery in my pack while the light is on my helmet.

Anyone know where I can find an extension cord of the Dinotte thing doesn't quite work?
    As far as I can see both lights use a standard DC connector - maybe the male/female directions don't match, I don't know. But nevertheless you could use the extension cord regardless of the male/female setup. Even the batteries are interchangeable (both use 2x2 cell configurations), so if you own a Dinotte light you can get this Magicshine as a spare battery (it's about the same price!...) for your Dinotte. LOL.
    I'm still waiting for the new Dinotte/etc models for the autumn. A 200L with a P7/MCE...nothing less would suffice anymore... ;-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Looks like they do.... Who wants to be the guinea pig ?
    http://store.dinottelighting.com/sha...unt2=262305855
    Edit: click the parts and accessories box on the above site

mtbr member
    Received my lights from GeoMan this past week and I have been experimenting with mounting options for my helmet.
    What works for you?? Pictures would be helpful

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Btw, for those that haven't already seen this, the Magicshine looks really impressive in this light beam comparison: http://fonarevka.lux-rc.com/

That beam shot might be what pushes me to take the plunge and order one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    Btw, for those that haven't already seen this, the Magicshine looks really impressive in this light beam comparison: http://fonarevka.lux-rc.com/

That beam shot might be what pushes me to take the plunge and order one.
    Based on this beamshot it is EXACTLY like the Tesla beam - for ~$300 less... yes that's right, impressive ;-) And the perfect bar light for me (I have a Tesla).

Although to be fair the other lights it was compared to are mostly flashlights or lights with deprecated LED technology. Perhaps you are better off by checking the MTBR "official" review of the Tesla - since the beam is the same, you can easily compare it to more expensive lights. It's just too easy to be impressed by ~700 lumens when you put it next to 50-100-200 lumens ;-)
    (edit: OK, now I see a few MCE lights - compare the beam to those, and forget about the rest!)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GFisher2001

I'd be really interested to hear how you compare this to the 400L in terms of light output. While I know it puts out more light, I also have a 400L and so that sort of works as a benchmark for me. I also have the 600L, and that is brighter but not a lot more so than the 400L.

I was looking for a little more light for the helmet and this might be the ticket for that.

J.

mtbr member
    So I went ahead and bought one of these from geoman. Thanks for the fast shipping, brotato.

As has been already stated, it seems well made. I'm not a huge fan of the cord exiting the light to the front as opposed to the rear, but that's minor.

It's bright, but not as white as my Dinotte 200ls. Def. has a greenish tint imo as has been mentioned before. It's not a bad thing, but it's noticable, especially when you run it along with a Dinotte. You can really see the difference.

It is bright. Much brighter, but I'd honestly be surprised if it really is 900 lumen in all honesty. A friend has a Dinotte 600 that seems about the same, maybe even brighter due to it's whiter appearance. I dunno, maybe I have to cycle the battery a few times to see it reach it's full potential?

Either way, I can't complain, it's a great deal for the money.

Oh, and one last thing, the Dinotte extension cord will not work with this light. Yes, the plugs are the same, but the outer portions of the plug, the plastic parts that snap together to maintain water-tightness are backwards. It's hard to put into words actually, just trust me when I tell you that it will not work unless you were willing to do some modifying.
    NKAWTG

Jul 2009
    Hi Guys
    Iím new the forum and not really up to date on light est.
    If only doing night riding/races four- five times a year, what light should be looked at and where is the best to position the light. On the handle bar or the helmet.
    I would like to get something decent but really don't need to light-up the neighbourhood.

mtbr member
    This is perfect! This light will make one hell of a commuter to replace my POS cheapie Viewpoint that just went t!ts up. I like the fact that it has a flash (SOS) mode also. That's good for getting noticed in traffic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just put another order into geoman... I had a niterider 12w halogen and I have used niterider hid lights in the past so I'm looking forward to comparing this light to those. Like mentioned before you cant really go wrong with a $85 light that has hid power...

GeoMan
    Thank you thank you thank you.

So far, so good! The manufacturer is doing everything we ask in terms of enhancements and quality control. They are very easy to work with and seem intent on building a very good product for the money.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

I miss f88
    Thank you thank you thank you.

So far, so good! The manufacturer is doing everything we ask in terms of enhancements and quality control. They are very easy to work with and seem intent on building a very good product for the money.
    "enhancements?"

I'm not going to buy a light anytime soon, as I'm going back to school. Maybe in December, probably in June.What can I look forward to?
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by laxman2001
    "enhancements?"

I'm not going to buy a light anytime soon, as I'm going back to school. Maybe in December, probably in June.What can I look forward to?
    Hehe, you'll just have to wait and see...
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Ultimate Poseur
    There's a link in the DIY thread about this light where a guy replaced the on board resistor with something more robust as he said the one on the board wasn't up to the task. Any thoughts on whether or not that is true or if that issue will be addressed?

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by moff_quigley
    There's a link in the DIY thread about this light where a guy replaced the on board resistor with something more robust as he said the one on the board wasn't up to the task. Any thoughts on whether or not that is true or if that issue will be addressed?
    Hmmm, there are many experts over on the DIY forum. That's why they are so successful at building their own LED bike lights. I'd never dig in and start switching out resistors on an $80 light but I understand the allure.

Do not do this unless you are willing to take the risk of destroying your light and/or voiding the warranty.

The light works perfectly "as is", right out of the box, as expected.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Just ordered mine yesterday- should be here Friday or so. I was shocked to get a shipping confirmation so fast. Geoman must have been sitting at his computer win the order came in.

Dead Legs
    Got mine in 5 days to Canada and was lucky that customs missed it! No duty!
    Thanks GeoMan, very impressed!

Apr 2009
    received my 3rd light today, this one is slightly different.

1. the battery cable is a few inches longer - i guess some people suggested this for helmet mounts
    2. the front clear lens now had a red o-ring on the inside of it - no big deal, just looks kinda reddish up close when i look down on it.
    3. i assume this had the led screwed down on as well, though my originals are still holding up well.

Now Geoman tell them to get the D Bins or higher or clamp 2 of these leds into one shell and up the amps !!! - then i can cook some eggs on these babies too -)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Anyone know how much we have to pay to get a light shipped from Geoman to the UK above his postage charges (which are what by the way), or does he also use the "DX method" ?

Last time I bought a Dinotte 200LAA from the US I got stung for import dutty.

I'm very tempted by this P7 bike light now, having just read this thread....

mtbr member
    Got my DX from Geoman - great service fast shipping thank you - WOW! this thing is actually pretty friggin bright. For the money this is a pretty solid investment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just tested mine out on a hour and a half night ride tonight and I'm very pleased! The nite rider HID I used in the past was a single battery with a y cable and a bar and helmet light... It was bad ass! This light seems very close in output but with only the bar light the twisty stuff got a little sketchy when there was no light where I was looking ahead... I may end up buying another one for a helmet light.

I rode with a friend who bought one too and he was super happy with his as well.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojoaf
    Got my DX from Geoman - great service fast shipping thank you - WOW! this thing is actually pretty friggin bright. For the money this is a pretty solid investment.
    That's our goal! "Wow"!

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    received my 3rd light today, this one is slightly different.

1. the battery cable is a few inches longer - i guess some people suggested this for helmet mounts
    I ordered one of these lights from Geoman last month and am quite pleased with it as a bar mounted light. Does the (new) longer cable allow you to store the battery in a pack when helmet mounted?
    -Chris

Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BurkeVT
    I ordered one of these lights from Geoman last month and am quite pleased with it as a bar mounted light. Does the (new) longer cable allow you to store the battery in a pack when helmet mounted?
    I've never tried it on the helmet yet, but here's the measurement from the battery where the cables comes out = length of cable to end

old = @ 9 1/4 inch

newest = @ 11 1/4 inch

so might be a stretch for a pack - but this looks like a simple cable, i would venture to cut it and add some length to it and then heat shrink and tape it up and should be good to go.

GeoMan
    We'll have helmet mounts with extension cables very soon. They are in production now.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    We'll have helmet mounts with extension cables very soon. They are in production now.
    Wow. I love this rapid consumer input/design model.
    If we come, they will build it.
    -Chris

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by BurkeVT
    Wow. I love this rapid consumer input/design model.
    If we come, they will build it.

Frankly, so do I. Companies that listen can best thrive.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Now we're talking!! I have no interest in a bar mounted system, but helmet mounted..........that I can order.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sweet, I was about to order another one for a helmet mount, Now I will wait until the new cord/mount are available... What time frame are you thinking?

mtbr member
    Now the system that I rigged up for my helmet mount and the battery in my pack is completely obsolete.

Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Finski
    Hmmm, Dinotte's use a 7.2v battery. I guess I could use the Dinotte battery with the Magicshine, but prolly not the other way around.
    7.2 and 8.4 are probably the same battery. A single LiIon cell is NOMINALLY 3.6 volts, two of them are 7.2, but they put out about 4.2 volts when freshly charged, so some manufacturers will call a 2-cell pack a 7.2 volt pack, some call it an 8.4 volt pack. They're probably the same thing. In any case any good LED system will have a voltage regulator that can deal with a volt one way or the other. If you're nervous about it, put a voltmeter on the Dinotte and the Magicshine when both are fully charged and see.

mtbr member
    Wrote this last week in DIY Thread-
    Did our first 3hour plus ride last Thursday night- some impressions
    1) Wish I had a remote switch to move between modes- not a bad thing just a wish
    2) I use the Mawri offset mount I got from EI34- works great love it.
    3) Battery came with no velcro strap just the case- I use an old tennis elbow strap (2" wide) to hold to my stem- works great no issues
    4) Battery was good to go- half the ride or so on hi other half on low- took an hour and a half for it to charge this morning.

Light is pretty white- at this price I might pick up a second light for the bars. For sure I will get a second battery for the real long epics (price is very good).

Longevity will be the next test and for that ONLY time will tell.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojoaf
    Wrote this last week in DIY Thread-
    Did our first 3hour plus ride last Thursday night- some impressions
    1) Wish I had a remote switch to move between modes- not a bad thing just a wish
    2) I use the Mawri offset mount I got from EI34- works great love it.
    3) Battery came with no velcro strap just the case- I use an old tennis elbow strap (2" wide) to hold to my stem- works great no issues
    4) Battery was good to go- half the ride or so on hi other half on low- took an hour and a half for it to charge this morning.

Light is pretty white- at this price I might pick up a second light for the bars. For sure I will get a second battery for the real long epics (price is very good).

Longevity will be the next test and for that ONLY time will tell.
    I believe they intend you to use the battery case as the strap to hold the battery to the stem... At least thats what I'm doing.

mtbr member
    Yes you can mount it to the stem with the case or probably even the top tube. I will be picking up an extension cord when it's available as I don't want the battery mounted on the helmet itself.

GeoMan
    Yes you can mount it to the stem with the case or probably even the top tube.
    Absolutely correct.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Cord length.

UPS just dropped off mine.
    The cord on the lighthead is about 45 inches(1143mm).
    That should be more than enough to reach from the helmet to the jersery pocket.
    Now to see if it will work on a Dinotte helmet mount.

Dead Legs
    45"!!! doh, I bought too early.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme6669
    I believe they intend you to use the battery case as the strap to hold the battery to the stem... At least thats what I'm doing.
    Ok I see how that could work- Prefer a beefier strap for more security personally.

Geoman will you be carrying the new Airbike SL1 and if so what's the price? It's 200 on feebay.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by liltommy
    Hmm, hope mine isn't that long. I want it on the bar, and that's a lot of wire to ball up and try to hide somewhere. I'd prefer about 15"

mtbr member
    Just got mine yesterday, and took it out this a.m. for the first time. Yep, long cord. Not a big deal, I guess you can't please everyone but I would have preferred it short since I just plan to keep it on the bars. Anyway, easy enough to keep wrapped up and tucked in the brake/shifter cables.

MUCH brighter than my Dinotte 200L, which I'll keep for helmet use. I really like the amount of spill too. I didn't notice a difference in color between the magicshine and the dinotte...could have been there, just not enough to notice. The spot in the middle has a *very* slight donut, but I don't notice it on the trail.

Appears well constructed, body gets warm but not hot, and the O ring mount didn't slip at all and easy to put on. The battery bag mounting is a little funky, but I mounted to the stem and worked fine. It's curious what the buckles are for, since there is no strap that comes with it for those. I'll probably throw an extra velcro strap that I have laying around for a little extra security.

Those looking for a helmet mount, it will work with the dinotte one for the 200l.

Quick ship from Geoman, thanks!
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

Drunken fool
    We'll see how this light works out. I just placed an order from Geoman for one. Geo- is there any time frame for the helmet mounts mentioned earlier?
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

GeoMan
    Ya, another two weeks...
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by liltommy
    UPS just dropped off mine.
    That should be more than enough to reach from the helmet to the jersery pocket.
    Now to see if it will work on a Dinotte helmet mount.

45 inches !

1. is this from Geoman or from deal extreme?

2. Do you know have a choice between ordering a helmet light vrs the earlier shorter bar mount?

mtbr member
    45 inches !

1. is this from Geoman or from deal extreme?

2. Do you know have a choice between ordering a helmet light vrs the earlier shorter bar mount?
    Not liltommy, but

1. Geoman

2. No.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

Drunken fool
    Just got my Geoman light( Damn that was fast!). Light is like was described, very bright but I don't think 900 lumens. Cord is long enough to place it in your pack if you helmet mount it. I was able to use my Niterider Minewt helmet mount with the Magic Shine light. Mounts just as well as the Minewt does. Very good light for the money! I would recommend it in a heart beat.
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelerfreak
    Just got my Geoman light( Damn that was fast!). Light is like was described, very bright but I don't think 900 lumens. Cord is long enough to place it in your pack if you helmet mount it. I was able to use my Niterider Minewt helmet mount with the Magic Shine light. Mounts just as well as the Minewt does. Very good light for the money! I would recommend it in a heart beat.
    Nice!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new helmet mounted light. The old VistaLight NiMh/ Halogen is just too heavy, too short on battery and I'm afraid will prove unreliable, eventually.
    I love the Magicshine I just picked up for handlebar mount. I''m glad to hear some of the new ones have longer cords and that a helmet mount is on the way. This said, for those who've run one on their helmets: I've always loved the strong spotlight quality of my old Vistalight. The MS seems a a great flood on the handlebars, but does serve as a solid helmet light? Is it too flood, or does that seem to matter?
    Thanks.
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Do you have an estimated price yet? And will they be a package or sold seperately?

Also, how does the Magicshine compare to the Airbike P7? Including light ouput, beam pattern, and build quality.

T.Y!
    Chris

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Any more news on the Helmet mount?

Whats postage to the UK Geo? Comes up free, but when i was looking at a Extreme a few months ago it showed about $40 ish!

GeoMan
    Any more news on the Helmet mount?

Whats postage to the UK Geo? Comes up free, but when i was looking at a Extreme a few months ago it showed about $40 ish!
    Hi Moggy,

Yes, we actually have the mounts, we're waiting for the velcro straps that tie it to the helmet. We are expecting them with our inbound Magicshine shipment next week.

UK postage? Depends on method but we can ship via USPS for an additional $12USD. The "Extreme" shipping price you quoted was for EMS (Express International Delivery). You won't get that for $12... Wish we could!

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Greetings everybody.

Every time I see this thread I cringe. What bothers me is the title:
    CRAZY - seems like Tesla has been ripped off
    (yes, I see the smiley)

The Lupine Tesla is a very high quality light that shouldn't be confused with the Magicshine. The Magicshine is a good light and it is serving many people with exactly what they want and need at an outstanding price. But it is not a Lupine.

We sell both and I don't want potential customers to think that these are mirror image products. Every aspect of the Tesla is of the highest quality all the way from the optics to the carrying case. Frankly, I wish everyone could have a Lupine. Once you have one, you know what I mean. But that's not possible and many folks don't care that much.

Like so many companies developing product strategies, we hope to gain your trust through astonishing service so when you decide to upgrade or augment, you'll look to us again, and again. Really!

I don't think the Tesla has been "ripped off" at all.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Thanks!

Geo
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Had my father in law order one last night for his commuting needs. I can't wait to see it in person before I order my own.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Very interesting link on modding the Driver of this light:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=549975

Is someone able to rebuild something similar?

GeoMan:
    perhaps you can pass some info further to macigshine (perhaps they will improve the electronics too??)

like 3-Mode: low-mid-hight (no strobe/sos)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Thanks Geoman

Hey Geoman. I want to say thanks for your great customer service and fast shipping. I ordered the magicshine a week ago and since then I've had 4 night rides. These lights are amazing (too me). I am very happy with them and will be ordering another set shortly for the helmet. I will admit though that this is my first real set of lights and have nothing to compare them too but overall I am more than pleased with the light.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Ordered mine from DX before seeing Geomans site. Received mine and tested it and couldn't be happier. I've not had any premium lights to compare the Magicshine to but compared to other people I ride with it's output is up there with Ayups .etc

For the price these can't be beat. Great light.

G

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Got mine super-quick from Geoman, excellent service! One of the new 45" cables.

Mounts quickly to the handlebar, and you just wrap the extra cable around, no problem. Took me 5 minutes to rig a helmet mount using the same o-ring, so I can switch between helmet and bar quickly if needed, and the cable length is just right for putting the battery in a lower side-pocket of my pack. I'd much rather have a long cable since you can just wrap the extra around the bars or battery pack, and then it works great for helmet mounting.

The only downside is the dumb flash mode. Like others said, a 10% power mode for not-blinding-the-crap-out-of-drivers in the city would be far more useful. If they came out with one with the 10% power option instead of the blinking mode, I'd buy a second one and use that for my main light, and the one I already have for aggro stuff where you want 2 lights (and for riding up easy dirt roads, etc). And that's coming from someone who considers $90 for a light a lot of money (about what the old VistaLites cost, and we thought they were super expensive).

BurkeVT, if that's the same VistaLite that I have (early '90s, 3 D-cell size battery pack), the beam on the Magicshine is similar, but definitely more towards flood than spotlight. I would say that the old VistaLite had great "edges" to the beam, while the Magicshine is more diffuse. But for overall light they are similar. I mounted it on the helmet and it works great, no probs going full speed on narrow singletrack. I used to use the old VistaLite in rocky areas with it mounted really low on the fork, and it gave insanely good contrast. I've only tried the Magicshine in tall grass areas mounted on the helmet, so it's not a good comparison (obviously any helmet-mounted light is going to give very poor contrast compared to fork-mounted, but tall grass and fork mounted don't go well together). And as far as reliability, I replaced the batteries about 5-6 years ago, and by now the "new" ones only work for 15-20 minutes. Not worth bothering trying to keep that old heavy system with something like this out now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ya, another two weeks...

MAKE SURE TO POST HERE WHEN THEY'RE READY TO GO!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by locoyokel
    BurkeVT, if that's the same VistaLite that I have (early '90s, 3 D-cell size battery pack), the beam on the Magicshine is similar, but definitely more towards flood than spotlight. I would say that the old VistaLite had great "edges" to the beam, while the Magicshine is more diffuse. But for overall light they are similar. I mounted it on the helmet and it works great, no probs going full speed on narrow singletrack. I used to use the old VistaLite in rocky areas with it mounted really low on the fork, and it gave insanely good contrast. I've only tried the Magicshine in tall grass areas mounted on the helmet, so it's not a good comparison (obviously any helmet-mounted light is going to give very poor contrast compared to fork-mounted, but tall grass and fork mounted don't go well together). And as far as reliability, I replaced the batteries about 5-6 years ago, and by now the "new" ones only work for 15-20 minutes. Not worth bothering trying to keep that old heavy system with something like this out now.
    locoyoke,
    Thanks for your insights on the MS v Vista. My setup was a later 90's with the 5 C-cell sized battery pack: The Nightstick! The batteries looked like sticks of dynamite. One battery still works, though I bought a replacement through DX last year that has twice the burn time of the old nightsticks. I do like the "edges" of the Vista beam, as you call it. I was riding w/ my MS on handlebars and a 15w Vista on my helmet the other night. I'm still amazed at how far the old Vista shoots a beam. Still, the simplicity, light weight and price of the MS has me hooked. I don't ride night much, one 24 hour race and maybe 4-5 nightrides a year. Still, it's enough to make a second $90 light seem worthwhile.
    Tell me about the fork mount. I always go handlebars/helmet. Exactly where do you mount on a fork?
    -Chris

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by locoyokel
    Got mine super-quick from Geoman, excellent service! One of the new 45" cables.

Mounts quickly to the handlebar, and you just wrap the extra cable around, no problem. Took me 5 minutes to rig a helmet mount using the same o-ring, so I can switch between helmet and bar quickly if needed, and the cable length is just right for putting the battery in a lower side-pocket of my pack. I'd much rather have a long cable since you can just wrap the extra around the bars or battery pack, and then it works great for helmet mounting.

The only downside is the dumb flash mode. Like others said, a 10% power mode for not-blinding-the-crap-out-of-drivers in the city would be far more useful. If they came out with one with the 10% power option instead of the blinking mode, I'd buy a second one and use that for my main light, and the one I already have for aggro stuff where you want 2 lights (and for riding up easy dirt roads, etc).

Thanks for the endorsement, we appreciate it very much.

Funny, I fired off an email to the Magicshine folks last week asking them to program the Magicshine with 100%, 50%, 10%, and flash. So far they've incorporated every improvement I've passed on including lengthening the lighthead cord, thermal paste, and some other minor improvements. They seem intent.

Geo
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Ordered mine from Geoman 2wks ago on a Friday. Arrived by the following Tuesday. 1st ride with them last night. Adequate off-road at mid/low power (from bars). I also supplement with a helmet mounted 200lumen (claimed) torch that is a nice tight beam. Did 45min with this arrangment and then went to high beam and did another 1.5hrs. No noticeable decrease in power. I'll continue to test to see what the overall runtime is. Overall a good light, especially for the price. The beam is very floody, but with a tighter beam on the head, all was good. If I can modify the beam pattern, I'd buy another for the head. Otherwise, I'll look to make my current headlight lighter and with a supplemental battery pack.

Other notes: mine had a long cord (probably the 45") and a nice white beam (not greean like some of the early posts).

I miss f88
    Geoman: A good mod to suggest to magicshine might be a lens shape that turns it into more of a "beam" in addition to the "flood" model.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    GMan

Are they planning on conimg out w/ a dual head light for the bars.

Thx

MB

Jul 2009
    GMan

Thx

MB

or a Y-adapter(if the Dinoette one wont work) so we could have 2 lights on full for 1.5 hours @ 1800 lumens, or 1 light for 3 hours at normal 900 lumens, using one battery pack for example...

BTW,, had the light for about a month now,, best investment for the money,, great light and fast shipping from Geoman..

GeoMan
    GMan

Thx

MB

Who's they?

Geo
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by kinglud1
    or a Y-adapter(if the Dinoette one wont work) so we could have 2 lights on full for 1.5 hours @ 1800 lumens, or 1 light for 3 hours at normal 900 lumens, using one battery pack for example...

BTW,, had the light for about a month now,, best investment for the money,, great light and fast shipping from Geoman..
    You know, for the price, there's not much room for customization, etc.

Thanks for the feedback! We appreciate your support.

Geo
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by kinglud1

We should have "Y" cables for the Magicshines within 2 weeks.

Geo
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    We should have "Y" cables for the Magicshines within 2 weeks.

Geo
    You might want to ask them to evaluate if the current load is appropriate for the wire. I know that on some of the larger lights from Dinotte, they require that you don't use the Y adaptor because the current from the battery is too high for the gauge of the wire (resistive heating losses). Their cable is pretty beefy so that might be an issue.

I'd ask Magicshine to evaluate that first.

J.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0