Convert light battery to USB power?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Convert light battery to USB power?

Is there a cable to a typical battery light to USB power? Also what's the typical amp output for the cheaper batteries?

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Sorry, are you asking about powering a USB device with a light battery? Or charging a light battery with a USB port/power source?

For powering a USB device with a light battery, the problem is that you can't necessarily just plug in a cable to inbound port on the light, and get power out - usually there is a charging system on the light which prevents leakage (a diode basically, a one-way gate)

For charging with a USB cable:

Most devices (phones, mp3 players) are USB2.0 - you can read up on details here but most are 500ma-900ma @ 5v. Most USB chargers / power sources emit power in accordance with this.

You didn't specify any particular light but the output for mountain-biking lights varies, and will not tend to be exactly what you need for USB 2.0, for example my NiteRider 1800 is 7v / 4 amps.

So, charging a mountain bike light by USB: generally no, without a transformer. But depends on the light and the battery power rating.

Now for charging a USB-powered light, obviously those accepts a USB power source, implying that the power rating is somewhere in the range of 500-1500ma / 5v.

RAKC
    If your looking for a way to use a battery pack for USB charger, action-led-lights.com has a adapter from magicshine to do just that.

Packs dont have an amperage output, they have a capacity and discharge amp rating. Their ratings vary.

And these days USB charging amps varies A LOT MORE. I have phone chargers that push 2amps to charge the phones. My droid turbo charger IIRC does more than that as it charges a 4400 or 4800mah (cant remember) internal battery from completely dead in an hour.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I'm looking to power a small USB fan but it needs at least 2.4amps -- ideally higher. I have a Securitylng light but not sure the amp output. I don't think I'm going to bother trying to use it to power the fan with the bike light battery

RAKC
    Bike light batteries would power it no problem but not for very long using cheap chinese junk. 2.4A is nothing really for a bike light battery pack but getting a usb adapter and such to run that much current instead of a proper power bank isn't going to work well since most adapters are rated lower. Unless you make your own adapter of course.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'm looking to power a small USB fan but it needs at least 2.4amps -- ideally higher. I have a Securitylng light but not sure the amp output. I don't think I'm going to bother trying to use it to power the fan with the bike light battery
    Ok now I gotta know. What are you trying to do?

Handlebar fan? Keep you cool?
    Brake rotor cooling system?