Combining HID and LED- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Combining HID and LED

Currently ride with a single NR HID unit (I think itís the Moab) helmet mounted. Looking to add a bar mounted light to the mix for additional coverage.( i.e. Light & Motion Seca 400 Led) Any disadvantages to combining HID with a LED? Is it better to have the newer (lighter) LED as the helmet mount, and use the older HID as bar mount?
    Also, if Iím used to riding with HID light, will the LED beam or light color be substantially different?
    Saving the world one calorie at a time.

mtbr member
    Depending on the HID sometimes LED's make the light from the HID look really blue, which can cause problems when beams cross. kinda like ghost busters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zen bicycle
    Depending on the HID sometimes LED's make the light from the HID look really blue, which can cause problems when beams cross. kinda like ghost busters.
    Interesting. Perhaps better to buy another HID?
    Saving the world one calorie at a time.

mtbr member
    Wouldn't say that, just try one if you can before you buy. Some HID's/ people it doesn't matter. Some it does.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've been using an ARC light w/ a Dinotte 600l for a couple of years; both on my bars. I like the combination. The ARC has a nice narrow spot that complements the Dinotte's spread well. I'd just buy an LED that you would be happy with even if your HID bit the dust. Regardless then, you will be happy with the combination.

Ologist
    I have a Stella 200l (led) on my head and an Arc (hid) on the bar. I think it is a perfect complement. The stella provides a good beam that tracks with my eyes and lights up the corners.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think in most case here people have a weaker (older) HID and put it with a stronger (new tech) LED and seem quite happy.

I have an HID which is very powerful (2x that of the Lupine Betty in real terms) and mix that with LED on the bar and LED on the helmet and I find the combined lighting very good, very even and broad. I no doubt I could achieve similar with less but I do like the combo for my style of off road riding.

mtbr member
    I used to run a setup of two Niterider HIDs on the bar and a Lupine Wilma light on the helmet. There is a difference in color between them, but it wasn't overly bothersome. The NR HIDs have a very blue color to them which makes it more difficult to see detail on the trail. The Wilma LED was considerable warmer in color and gave a more natural look to the trail leaves and branches etc. Still though together they worked out ok. I would definitely go with an LED light now and run it with the HID and in another year or two there will be even more super duper LED lights out and then you can retire the HID. The other thing to remember in your decision is how much more durable LEDs are than HID bulbs and how they have great dim options and don't have a warm up time like HID.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

combo

I love the combo. I run a Jet 1000 lumen HID on the head, and then an amoeba LED or Jet LED on the bars. It works great.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

Its got what plants crave
    I believe HID is more sensitive to damage and vibration than LED, and as such, I would run the HID on my helmet personally. The ballasts are notoriously expensive to replace on HID lights.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Members who have read this thread: 0