Chest Mount Light?- Mtbr.com
    Professional Crastinator

Chest Mount Light?

...or neck mount?

Last night it was drizzling a bit and the constant flashing of water droplets in front of my eyes from my head lamp made me crazy enough to stop and fix the light around my neck. Big visibility improvement in the rain, plus I prefer to have the lights below my eyes anyway. Not sure how it would work on tight turns, but it was good for riding on the MUP. If I'm aiming my bike with my body, it should be fine on tight turns, but maybe not as good as helmet mount?

Anyone else try it?

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

RAKC
    Problem with chest mount is the bars and everything will obstruct the light and create shadows. Personally if I ride with one light its in the bars and riding in the rain is not an option here.

Would he interesting to use a gopro adapter and mount a light in a chest mount. The the whole Iron Man style of night riding going on.

Now shoulder harnesses (make me think about all this) could really get fun, one light on either shoulder.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Problem with chest mount is the bars and everything will obstruct the light and create shadows. Personally if I ride with one light its in the bars and riding in the rain is not an option here.

Would he interesting to use a gopro adapter and mount a light in a chest mount. The the whole Iron Man style of night riding going on.

Now shoulder harnesses (make me think about all this) could really get fun, one light on either shoulder.
    I am 6'-3", so no shadows from the bars. I had it pointed about 30' out. Maybe a little farther.
    Shoulder lights... hmmmmm

-F

RAKC
    Ya has me pondering a couple cheap china shoulder mounts to test the idea hehe

mtbr member
    Might get a little warm!

RAKC
    Shoulder would be alot better than neck or chest, at least there's full open air around it

Light freak
    I had a customer that wanted to try one of my lights for use on 100 mile running races. I told her I thought even one of my lights (60 grams for the light head) would be too heavy to have on her head for 100 miles of running. She tried out one of my lights on a 50 mile run and decided it was in fact too heavy. She wanted what everyone is wanting - crazy output, no weight, unlimited runtimes . I was messing around out in the garage and threw one of my lights onto a GoPro Chest mount. I was really surprised at how functional it was to have it mounted on the chest and the beam angle for running was quite nice. I let her give it a try and she loved it! Now she has the crazy output she wanted, the weight is barely even noticeable, but she still has the reality of runtimes - two out of three ain't bad

I also was thinking if it could be used for biking and immediately stopped at the thought of crashing and landing on top of the light while mounted on the chest. I had a pretty good crash a couple of years ago and broke two ribs and punctured a lung. Kind of weird spot on my upper back, to the side. Would have had to landed on a rock or something as I was not really bruised up? I really think it was due to me landing on my back and my Camelbak that had a small camera tripod in it. I think it was the screw knob that attaches the camera to the tripod that did the damage, but who knows. I am now really cognizant of what I carry on myself and think about landing on it at a high rate of speed. Just my thoughts.

mtbr member
    ^ But, don't some people attach their light and battery to their helmet? I guess it's ok for shorter rides? I have a Nightfighter bt21 on the way and my plan was to attach everything to the helmet. Light on top and battery twards the back.

RAKC
    Ya most do, OP doesn't like the glare off rain drops in front of his face with helmet mount. That's what we're discussing is alternative mounting locations on the body.
    And no alot of people also put the battery in there hydropack or rear jersey pocket. A 4 cell pack on the lid.....not for me, that's why I got fenix 2 cell cases when they were available. 2 cell Panasonic pack when running bt21 on high still lasts close to 2 hrs, more than I need.

Im really thinking on this shoulder mount idea lol, just out of curiosity. Carry battery in my hydropack.

Light freak
    Characteristics of where you place the light

Light on the bars – With the light being below your eyes, it produces “shadowing” of obstacles. The downside of the light being on the bars is the light is always pointed in the direction that you bars are pointed. Can be a problem on tight, twisty switch backs where you want to look around the corner. The other thing is having to make a repair in the dark with your light bar mounted. Almost have to remove it to get the light pointed where you need it

Light on your head – With the light above your eyes, it tends to “flatten” out obstacles as it doesn’t produce as much “shadowing”. The upside is that your light is always pointed directly where you are looking. Making repairs in the dark in much easier with the light on your head. The downside to a helmet mounted light only is that when you are looking to the sides or around a switchback, you don’t have lighting on the ground (which could be actually visible in your peripheral vision). In snow, fog, and rain, a helmet only light can be difficult. The light reflecting back at you off of the moisture in the air can make visibility very difficult.

Light on both the helmet and the bars – Best of both worlds. Always have light directly out in front of you and where you are looking. If it gets snowing, raining, real dusty,or foggy and it is making visibility difficult because of the helmet light, then you just go bar only.

mtbr member
    I have done some hiking and trail running with my Gloworm x2 mounted to my gopro chest mount in the past. The gloworm doesnt have a special mount, just the helmet mount that it came with. I just use the velcro mount and wrap the velcro around the gopro plate. Just made sure the velcro is wrapped tight and stable so it doesnt wobble. The reason I used chest mount was because I was having a hard time seeing all the roots on the trail uses it head mounted and about busted my ass too many times. A few times i used both a chest mount glorworm x2 and a headstrap mounted glowrm x2, but 2400 lumens on foot is a bit overkill. I wouldnt use a chest mount on the bike though as I dont see it being an advantage over the bars and the risk of increased injury during a fall is not worth it anyway. I took a prety good fall too a couple years ago . Busted myself up a bit with a fractured collar bone and I dont even know what I did to my sternum, but it still pops and cracks if I move right and seems to shift or something lol. A lighthead chest mounted probably woulndt have helped my situation in that crash. I might have had it permanently imbedded into my chest like robert downy jr. Chest mount makes a big difference though while on foot and I like it.

Professional Crastinator
    Chest mount for running sounds really good.

I forgot that you light guys on the light forum are all using high-powered stuff. I like to get by with "just enough", so I hadn't really thought about heat dissipation and such. My "good" light is 650 lumens, self-contained - and I usually use it on the 2nd lowest setting. On the low low setting it lasts 19hrs.(!)
    I think the light I had the other night is 90 lumens.

Name:  gomotion_5001.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  126.4 KB

Name:  _6262555.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  25.1 KB

Name:  vestanix500.gif
Views: 764
Size:  175.3 KB

And, my favorite... (I gotta get me one of these!)
    Chest Mount Light?-il_fullxfull.397883310_oqo6.jpeg
    The silver pants are prolly good for visibility, too.

And to think I used to get by with 2 xenon Vista Lites (~15 watts).

-F

mtbr member
    Lol @ the vests. There is something to be said for using "just enough" light for your circumstance. Too much and you won't see beyond your light source. On foot I typically use the low setting on my Gloworm light which is 300 lumens with a 12 hour runtime or even access the dim mode which is 100 lumens with 30 hours. Higher modes I only use when I want to see further down the trail. Also floody is better for night running/hiking. I've used some spotty lights in the past and it was horrible having a little spot of light bobbing around in front of you. I always carry a torch too with considerably more throw than the gloworm to spot things at distance. I'm currently switching or replacing my lights over to neutral white too. Just like a lot of people on this forum I have an addiction to lights and am always carrying a flashlight at minimum. Co-workers and friends make fun except when they need to borrow one.

Anyway my usual setup on foot is gloworm x2 on head and throwy flashlight in hand. The chest mount is occasional and usually in cooler weather were I can wear it over a sweatshirt as the gopro chest mount isn't much fun to wear in warm weather over just a thin t-shirt. It feels uncomfortable and warm.