Cheap Helmet Mountable bike light- Mtbr.com
    I ride bikes

Cheap Helmet Mountable bike light

I already have some lights that mount to my handlebars.

Any suggestions on a light that easily mounts to a helmet (giro feature) and is inexpensive? It doesn't have to have super high output.

mtbr member
    Define cheap. Also I find that having a brighter light on the helmet works better than having the brighter light on the bars.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Do you mean that you have a gopro mount on your helmet?

You can pretty much get anything and put it on your helmet. Yinding, Solarstorms, Nitefighter, Magicshine, and the more expensive Glowworms

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    if you already have batteries and charger, how about a Convoy S2+ 800 lumens for under $15, use velcro straps to mount to helmet.

I've also tried this one, up to 1600 lumens tested:
    BLF A6 CREE XPL 1600LM 7/4modes EDC LED Flashlight 18650 Sale - Banggood.com

RAKC
    The blf A6 is a really bad choice for Cycling (i have a couple of them). First off the turbo setting which gives 1600ish at cold start, lasts for 45 seconds before turbo timer runs out. Not to mention runtime of the flashlight is total crap. It's meant as a toy for us light geeks.

Puts u at no better than the convoy. The s2+ would do well as a cheap helmet light.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yeah, probably best "cheap" option is a flashlight with high quality high capacity cell (Panasonic NCR18650GA or LG18650M1). See my thread on my Convoy M1 helmet light builds. The M1 is slightly larger giving quite a bit more throw than an S2 (the S2 is floody). The M1 also has more heatsinking to it. My XM-L2 M1 uses custom firmware set to 2 mode 15% - 100% and at 3.04A (I do wish I had low set a bit higher). On high it will run over an hour on a my LG M1 cells yielding +/- 1,000 lumens.

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    How is a brighter light (A6) no better than a less bright light (S2+), both having similar beam patterns? Perhaps your trails don't require much lights?

Admittedly, at $25+ the A6 is probably not the cheapest option but for that amount of output (real, not claimed) there's not too many options in its size and price range.

While I'd give the nod to the S2+ as a test to see if that form factor works for the OP before trying out the A6. Worse case, you can do a whole lot worse for a hand held flashlight for $25 even if it's not being used a bike light.
    Last edited by siata94; 03-09-2016 at 02:58 PM.

RAKC
    The problem with the A6 is it can't maintain any noticeable output above the s2+ for extended periods. I have used mine before and my s2+. The useable output levels for riding use is about the same. So see no "benefit" of going the custom A6 for the extra price.

And I love my a6, awesome and ridiculous output light, just not an "improvement" for riding over the s2+ vs the price difference. I should have worded my post a bit better to be more clear, my bad.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I think we're splitting hairs here... Based on posted test results, the A6 is 1386 lumens
    for 26 mins on a 2500mah 25R cell. I didn't look for exact specs but I believe the tested outputs for the S2+ is around 800+ lumens, which translates to about 50 mins on the A6 at that output level. Whether anyone can tell the difference in output between 800 and 1000 is noticeable or not... but between say 800 and 1300 lumens... whether that is noticeable and worthwhile...

Only one thing I'd caution is using either one on the handlebar. If there's a whole lotta shaking going on, it might flicker or go kaputz. I've had that happen to at least 3 different lights. They need to be potted for bar use (all of mine are). But should be ok on the helmet since our necks act as the vibration dampener... :-)

RAKC
    I agree we are "splitting hairs" lol. Thats what I do with al my lights though, down to every detail. If my lights were living some would love me others would to kill me in my sleep

Oh and good point i didnt think of. The handlebar thing. When I have tried them for that purpose, i ran t into the with unprotected cells. No issues with bigger (3100+ mah) protected cells as they about completely compress the springs. But I only ride XC level trails mostly with a nicely tuned fork(for me which isnt easy lol) or on my fat bike. I could see even protected cells not being enough for more rough trails.