Can I organise a giveaway on this forums??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Can I organise a giveaway on this forums??

I tried contacting an admin by email and reading the forum rules. Well, admin did not reply me and the forum rules are totally unclear.

I have been contacted by an online seller to host a giveaway (bike light). As I am gettin absolutely nothing from this, I want to make sure that it is OK that I post it here.

It will be a simple giveaway with I'm in or something. People also liking their FB page (I was initially against this and we got to a amiable solution) will get 2 chances (names put twice) at getting the free bike light.

If its ok, I'll start it tomorrow morning. There will be a nice one on the BLF too tomorrow! Feel free to join.

The gifts were chosen by me.

RAKC
    This is not the place on mtbr for that stuff. Contests and such are only done as all others are done, not spamming forum subs, sorry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    This is not the place on mtbr for that stuff. Contests and such are only done as all others are done, not spamming forum subs, sorry.
    Remember that next time you get given a light to review.

RAKC
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    Remember that next time you get given a light to review.

Make it simple for you

There is 1000s of threads that are reviews and discussions of products. Many dont say how their acquired but im willing to bet the same way I get lights and such. And I review products I pay for out of pocket too. My yindings, my bt40s, mj880 clone, solarstorm anything, flashlights I post on over at blf, all ordered and paid for by me. Not to mention the $1000s of dollar in cycling parts/gear that i poat my "reviews" about in appropriate threads. Just like anyone else here. And like nitefighter lights, I may not have paid for in cash, but you have no clue the time spent. But other reviewers here like GJHS and his yinding, Cat and his reviews, spankedone with fenix and magicshine, we all put alot of work into it. We pay in "time and labor".

As for the "contests" there is a proper way to do it here, that system is in place for a good reason. Look to the right of your computer screen, promotional links for companies, products, and contests. Beyond that the ONLY PLACE I see these kinds of things is in the manufacturer specific subs, done by the company not by a reseller or by mtbr themselves. Not using a third party to circumvent the system to promote a companies facebook or twitter (or whatever is the popular other ones now) and such.

He's not the only one asked about such matters. And I explained this back early on into my reviewing to those I review for. Cannot be done that way here and i refuse to even attempt it, im here for mountain biking, I don't make anything off that stuff and im not going to get banned from here for trying it. By me saying what I in my previous post, I just saved him from the mess it would have caused.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can send them to me. That makes it simple. You only have one person to choose and that would be me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainking7 View Post
    I tried contacting an admin by email and reading the forum rules. Well, admin did not reply me and the forum rules are totally unclear.

I have been contacted by an online seller to host a giveaway (bike light). As I am gettin absolutely nothing from this, I want to make sure that it is OK that I post it here.

It will be a simple giveaway with I'm in or something. People also liking their FB page (I was initially against this and we got to a amiable solution) will get 2 chances (names put twice) at getting the free bike light.

If its ok, I'll start it tomorrow morning. There will be a nice one on the BLF too tomorrow! Feel free to join.

I'm not sure what you mean by the term, "giveaway"? To one person or to many people?...questions. If this is part of a product promotion then you need to contact the moderators or the website administrator. They might allow it or they might not, depends on what you want to do. It isn't up to anyone just using the forums.

In the mean time if you just want to highlight a product of interest you can do that as long as it pertains to night riding. There is already a thread started, it is here. All you have to do is post a photo and say this product looks interesting. As long as you aren't highlighting a new product for every post you make you should be fine. You can even provide a link as long as you have been a member of MTBR long enough. You just can't try to openly sell or promote a product though without the consent of MTBR. There is a fine line between someone who is a spammer/shill and someone who just likes to talk about bike lights. That said there is a lot of room for opinion on the issue so I'll not try to split too many hairs on where to draw that line.

The people who do reviews on MTBR ( like myself and others ) are sometimes contacted privately and asked to do an impartial review of a product on forum. This is allowed as long as the person doing the review acknowledges that he/she is providing the review ( per seller request ) and has received the product free of charge and has no other association with the seller or manufacturer ( with the intent to attain personal monetary gain ).

Usually the only people willing to give away a bike lamp for a review are the Chinese sellers. The brand name bike light people aren't going to do that because their is stuff is worth too much money. That said they have too much to lose if something bad happens during the review.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Well, I won't do anything. No worries guys. I do not want to get banned or anything. The item was this Waterproof CREE XML-T6 Charging 1600 Lumens 5 Modes Flashlight QCA-249642 - Wholesale Supplier: TinyDeal

A simple "I'm in" no strings attached it was going to be.

Anyway I have another one open now on BLF. Less stringent rules

mtbr member
    Im in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, I won't do anything.
    You won't do anything...except for spamming a less than stellar website. Your post should be taken down.
    Romani ite domum

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I don't get the objection to this. We had a similar giveaway/contest last year
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...le-927247.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yup and no one complained, AFAIK. And there was obligation to make review whereas here is not. This was meant as plain giveaway.

Viva la Vida!
    I'm In
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

RAKC
    @Varider:

As ledoman said, there was ALOT more to that one than this. This one is nothing more than a attempt to spam a forum by trying to circumvent the rules/paying. The other one, the manufacturer came on to give them away in trade for peoples reviews and ideas, to make the product better. It was something constructive to make a new product better for what people wanted.

Like if say KD, DX, Fasttech, ETC had come to me and asked me to post a thread just to give away something to help promote their site, chances are Id get banned, so Id tell them no way.

If Nitefighter came to me and said "Were releasing a new light, the BT900, were offering to give a few of them away to other riders as well to get some feedback before we go into full production", I would do similar to what that link you posted was. DO my review on it, select others that had been involved in the discussion (more than "looks cool im in") and then they give their thoughts and opinions on it after they try out theirs.

I personally think its a good thing, cause we get alot of threads as it is for every new light that comes out, which isnt a bad thing, kind of the point. If one gets by with it, then every chinese retail site over there will be here doing the same thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What rule exactly? Clearly having a giveaway is not against the rule as we have already had that in the past.

I would rather have a dozen threads were the manufacturer was giving a light away for free than to have one thread where a guy get a $800 light for free and then provides an "unbiased review". Every fall we have a dozen of those "reviews" by people who don't really post here on a regular basis. Those should be banned in my opinion.

I say bring on the free stuff.

mtbr member

Hey, I have nothing against people getting something for free. I just don't know what the all the conditions are. Usually there is some kind of limit or limited amount of freebie's? None of that is being talked about. I say let it play out and lets see what happens. ( Nope, I'm not in, I just want to see what happens. )

Yes, a while back there was a torch that was being given away to a number of people. The manufacture asked for feedback on color choices and other ways to improve the product. I believe a number of people got free torches...never did hear how that worked out.

Anyway that same torch is now be offered for sale. Comes in sky blue or black. I was contacted just the other day by the seller and asked if I wanted to review one of the two variations. There is now a thread started that shows one of the types. ( one is for 26650 and the other is for 18650 cells ) I've agreed to review the 26650 torch as I think it might make an interesting commuter or road lamp. Looks like a nice set-up but we'll see.

Back to the subject of the OP thread; correct me if I'm wrong but you initially wanted the people who get the lamps to do a "Like" link to their personal Facebook page. You were against this and now if someone does the Facebook "Like" they double their chances of getting a lamp..Hmmm....Okay, you're not asking for a detailed review just free advertisement on another website....interesting approach. Personally I keep my FB stuff private. I never do FB, likes on products because I keep that part of my life separate Hey but to each their own.

Light freak

Pretty simple

Tell the supplier to sign up on MTBR as a new member, clearly identifying himself as a supplier and have them offer the give away without you being involved. Sounds/feels alot more legitimate.

mtbr member
    Well, this thread confirms two things for me:
    1) It's always better to ask for forgiveness than permission
    2) No good deed goes unpunished

"It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    OP said he said he tried contacting the admin at the very start. Seems like a simple reply from the admin would have cleared things up.