Budget trail riding setup- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Budget trail riding setup

Looking to get into night riding this winter. My rides will not be incredibility long ~1.5 max. Currently I have a fenix bc21r that I use for the daily commute.

I've been reading old (and current) threads but can't quite put together the best budget set that still has some measure of quality. I'm also unsure where to buy which elements.

I would like to have a decent battery pack, kaidomain seems to be a ok place to buy one. How about gearbeast? Where can I get a charger?
    Are the batteries in the packages at KD the same as the well regarded one they sell separately?

The bt40s seems like a good bar light, should I just buy the light head , then buy batteries from KD? Or a complete package.

What would be a good matching helmet light? and a suitable mount (troy lee a1 helmet). I was thinking a 2 cell battery for this light.

I'm in Canada so some of the usual sources are less convenient.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    First you must tell what is your budget. This is different for each person.

I would go for complete BT40S set (light, battery pack, charger) and add helmet light along with 2 cell battery pack from KD. It is just which helmet light you would choose. Can be very dependable on your budget. You can go from very budget KD2, over Yinding to more expensive ones. Don't own any on expensive side so can't tell. I'm shure other guys will help on that. Just pay attention it is Neutral White tint to accompany BT40s tint.

About KD packs you should look my reviews - see links in Battery thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks ledoman,

Budget is flexible, but I'm hoping to stay below the cost of gloworm et al. I would like to stay under $150-200 all in. I'd like to hit the point at which the gain/$ ratio starts to decrease. I'm also mindful of safety with exploding batteries. If the beam shape is less than perfect that is fine for my first foray into night riding, but not starting my house on fire is a concern!

I have seen your testing of the kd packs, couldn't find anyone who had tested the gearbeast package pack though!

Possible set up:
    Bt40S
    https://www.gearbest.com/bicycling-gear/pp_180805.html
    then on helmet:
    Yinding 900lm
    https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_133572.html

Do these two match well? Also am I imagining things or are the prices on these packages changing all the time!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    No, you've linked CW Yinding. I suggest this NW https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_133573.html For the budget you have sugested you can probably get even better helmet light.

Prices in China are constantly changing. Well, at least in the stores we are mostly look at.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The linked package has both NW and CW( I hope, unless I misunderstood the listing!)
    What would be the step up from the Yinding?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes both are listed, but try to buy NW if you can.

There are Ituo XP2 and similar, just not quite budget. At least not for me. Someone other should give you better recomendations on that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Seems Ituo is out of the running....
    Does the Yinding not come with any o-rings to mount it?!?
    https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_133573.html

Looking at:
    Yinding NW for helmet
    https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_133573.html

with KD 2 cell battery:
    http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S024746.K...ith-60cm-Cable

then the bt40s kit for the bars:
    https://www.gearbest.com/bicycling-gear/pp_180805.html

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by jayBC View Post
    Seems Ituo is out of the running....
    Unfortunately your correct here. They were definitely one of the better "bang for the buck" quality lights but things like this happen all the time. Here's a link to another new brand I've run across that I've had good luck with. I picked up one of the 3000 lumen (lux meter estimated at 2000) 7 emitter models to add to my collection and have been impressed with the performance and quality for the money (approx. $53 for the lighthead + wireless remote delivered). They also have a 1900 lumen model that another MTBR member just received and I'm expecting a review on it soon. These lights have more performance and features than the Yinding or BT40s at only slightly more money. Still have to outsource batteries but same with Yinding. Emitter is a little cooler than the NW Yinding or BT40s bur still easy on the eyes IMO. Worth a look!
    Mole

Cycling LED Lights

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The C&B Seen was another option I was investigating, but it seems they are out of stock too!!

That is another consideration, which source will get me lights in a few weeks time? Hoping to not wait over a month! I think if I have to get a battery pack for the Yinding from kd that might slow things down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I have a Yinding that is quite low on power, reminds me of the assclown bitchin bout the bt40... Neither are low on it, I have too many kickass lights. Bt21 of course!

mtbr member
    The C&B Seen was another option I was investigating, but it seems they are out of stock too!!

That is another consideration, which source will get me lights in a few weeks time? Hoping to not wait over a month! I think if I have to get a battery pack for the Yinding from kd that might slow things down.
    You'll need battery packs with the C&B Seen also. I know they come as kits but battery quality is unkown so I wouldn't risk it. KD has good batteries but delivery can take a long time. I saw that Action-LED-Lights had some Gloworm 5800 referb packs which would be Panasonic cells which you could get in a few days depending on stock. C&B Seen had some of the 1900's a week ago but I guess they've sold out. Wish I could tell you how long to expect but unfortunately have no idea. Will post something as soon as I here anything as I will be ordering another one when available.
    Mole

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...l-battery-pack

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    thx mole, I'm on a buying spree. I did buy one, awesome!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    C&B seem did email me about the case. The website is wonky according to the man in charge. I do want the battery case and put a few Sony vt6 in it. The best according to Blf. 30q is a great battery. Huge curreny

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    ..... I saw that Action-LED-Lights had some Gloworm 5800 referb packs which would be Panasonic cells which you could get in a few days depending on stock......

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...l-battery-pack
    We should discuss in battery thread but I was wondering which cells can make 5800mAh pack. If Panasonic then there are very likely pretty old grey NCR18650. I doubt there were using NCR18650PF which are rated for 10A drain.
    It would be good to know.

mtbr member
    Here we are again at the current dilemma of which "budget" helmet light to pair with the BT40S budget bar option. We really need a manufacturer to step up!

-Garry

mtbr member
    Wait - what about ordering the BT40S from Amazon? Or try eBay (to order direct from Revtronic). Amazon will be your best bet for getting the kit with battery through the Li-Ion battery shipping issues.

-Garry

BTW - I will post later (in appropriate thread), but the $6.99 "Shark Motorcycle Audio" BT40S "clone" on Amazon is a hot deal and verified. (Has an issue I'll post about later, but IMO well worth buying.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    We should discuss in battery thread but I was wondering which cells can make 5800mAh pack. If Panasonic then there are very likely pretty old grey NCR18650. I doubt there were using NCR18650PF which are rated for 10A drain.
    It would be good to know.
    I'm not sure what Panasonic cells are used but these are "new old stock" packs with a battery fuel gauge upgrade. Jim @ Action-LED-Lights might know but not sure if it's worth the effort since these referb. batteries are probably a very limited inventory item.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    Wait - what about ordering the BT40S from Amazon? Or try eBay (to order direct from Revtronic). Amazon will be your best bet for getting the kit with battery through the Li-Ion battery shipping issues.

-Garry

BTW - I will post later (in appropriate thread), but the $6.99 "Shark Motorcycle Audio" BT40S "clone" on Amazon is a hot deal and verified. (Has an issue I'll post about later, but IMO well worth buying.
    I looked at amazon, it is cheaper, and would have fast shipping. That item wont ship to Canada, and isn't in the Canadian store!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Well, made a choice, BT40s kit from GB and Yinding NW, KD 2 cell battery pack...Did expedited shipping with GB and registered mail for KD.

mtbr member
    You might check into an aluminum heatsink GoPro mount from vancbiker which will help that Yinding greatly.

Also, are you using the charger from the BT40S kit to charge the KD pack? It'll be fine, just realize you can't recharge both at once.

Oh, almost forgot - you probably want the aluminum handlebar o-ring mount that DX sells (try DXSoul which is "expedited" to US). That plastic one that comes on the BT40S is very weak and the mount screw can break through it rather easily. I don't have a link handy, but know it's posted somewhere in "My Bike Lights" thread on BLF (see my signature).

-Garry

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks Gary,

Yes, I'll use the BT40s charger for now, most likely will only do one night ride a week, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue charging up each set of batteries one at a time. I'll buy another if it is.

I think this is the mount! Took a a while to find the thread reference!

Aluminum Alloy Bike Headlamp Mount Holder w/ Silicone Rings - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

mtbr member
    Yep, that's the one!

-Garry

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I just ordered the KD 2 cell pack also not too long ago, it surprisingly only took about a week to ship. Look like it shipped from California, and also included a little single emitter lamp with it too!

I use a yinding on the bars with a 25 & 45 degree TIR lens, and a yinding on the helmet with the stock lens. Love the matching neutral white colors, and seems to be plenty of light for me. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Also, are you using the charger from the BT40S kit to charge the KD pack? It'll be fine, just realize you can't recharge both at once. -Garry
    Well, in theory you can if you use right Y split cable, but the packs should have about equal voltage. If not shure what are the voltages it is better to charge them separately.
    Or I might be wrong and there would be just more current flow to more depleted pack. Would be interesting to test and see what happens. I might try it some day....

mtbr member
    Thanks Gary,

Yes, I'll use the BT40s charger for now, most likely will only do one night ride a week, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue charging up each set of batteries one at a time. I'll buy another if it is.

I think this is the mount! Took a a while to find the thread reference!

Aluminum Alloy Bike Headlamp Mount Holder w/ Silicone Rings - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    When you order small items from China always a good idea to order more than one. That way in the future if you buy another lamp you already have an extra aluminum mount. While your at it you should order some extra silicon O-rings ( not the rubber ones ) My best O-rings are the red silicon ones.

Personally I've never seen the chargers sold separately but I'm sure someone must sell them. I think I must own about 10 or more Li-ion battery pack chargers. Always good to have an extra charger on hand.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    ... My best O-rings are the red silicon ones.
    Cat, do you remember where you got those? I need some spares.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Personally I've never seen the chargers sold separately but I'm sure someone must sell them. I think I must own about 10 or more Li-ion battery pack chargers. Always good to have an extra charger on hand.
    Cat, you might miss it, but Hunk Lee sells them.
    Kaidomain can also provide them at reasonable price.

And there are a numerous of cheapo ones at eBay, but wouldn't guarantee for any of those below $6.

mtbr member
    [[/URL]
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Cat, do you remember where you got those? I need some spares.
    Budget trail riding setup-gemini_o_rings_1024x1024.jpg

This is where I get mine. - Mole

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...ini-o-ring-set

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks
    I have some green ones that have the pull tab. They work well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    did I miss your post in another thread ... curious what you're going to say here. a BT40s clone for $7....that is legit?

mtbr member
    See the "review" posted here.

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.