Budget lighting strategy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Budget lighting strategy

I have two $30-$40 "Bright Eyes" type Amazon lights--a 4-cell model on the bars and a 2-cell (USB-plug) model on the helmet. Both beams are quite narrow.

Is there a <$50 design that produces a wide beam?

With one wide beam and one narrow, do people prefer the wide beam on the bars, or on the helmet?

Is there usually any difference in the "lighthead" for this kind of light, or just a different battery pack? (These particular two use different connectors.)

Could I run two handlebar lights off the same 4-cell pack? My go-to descent is 10 minutes of tech/singletrack, mostly <15mph with a couple of 20mph turns. The rest of the ride can be done with almost no light.

mtbr member
    Typically the best setups utilized a lamp with a wide to medium wide beam pattern on the bars and a brighter lamp on the helmet with a medium to narrow beam pattern. It helps if the lamps you have use optics rather than reflectors so you can switch out to other optics if the beam patterns aren't to your liking.

I've used cheap Chinese type lamps ( that use reflectors ) on the bars and helmet before and while they are better than nothing they don't provide the best beam patterns.

The BT40S is a decent lamp that can be used on the bars to provide a wider beam pattern. You can buy those on Amazon under the brand name Revtronic. A multi-emitter lamp that uses reflectors can be used on the helmet but it helps if the tint of the lamp you are using on the helmet matches what you are using on the bars. The BT40S lamp uses LEDs that are neutral white. Although I no long use mine the BT40S worked very well on the bars.

That said, it may be that all you need to do is to replace your helmet lamp with one that provides a little wider beam pattern. I don't know exactly what lamp you are using on the helmet so unless I know what you have I can't recommend something better. Sadly though it is hard to find a good helmet lamp for less than $50.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phile View Post
    I have two $30-$40 "Bright Eyes" type Amazon lights--a 4-cell model on the bars and a 2-cell (USB-plug) model on the helmet. Both beams are quite narrow.

Is there a <$50 design that produces a wide beam?

With one wide beam and one narrow, do people prefer the wide beam on the bars, or on the helmet?

Is there usually any difference in the "lighthead" for this kind of light, or just a different battery pack? (These particular two use different connectors.)

Could I run two handlebar lights off the same 4-cell pack? My go-to descent is 10 minutes of tech/singletrack, mostly <15mph with a couple of 20mph turns. The rest of the ride can be done with almost no light.
    If your happy with your lights output and simply want to widen the beam for the bar unit there's a good chance the Bright-eyes light you own is a 808 clone that uses a 39mm lens cover that can be replaced with one of these wide angle lens covers. I've used them with good luck in Magicshine 808's and the Gemini equivalent Titan to make their narrowish beams more appropriately wide for bar use.

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...ide-angle-lens

Mole

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    The BT40S is a decent lamp that can be used on the bars to provide a wider beam pattern. You can buy those on Amazon under the brand name Revtronic. A multi-emitter lamp that uses reflectors can be used on the helmet but it helps if the tint of the lamp you are using on the helmet matches what you are using on the bars. The BT40S lamp uses LEDs that are neutral white.
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    If your happy with your lights output and simply want to widen the beam for the bar unit there's a good chance the Bright-eyes light you own is a 808 clone that uses a 39mm lens cover that can be replaced with one of these wide angle lens covers. I've used them with good luck in Magicshine 808's and the Gemini equivalent Titan to make their narrowish beams more appropriately wide for bar use.

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...ide-angle-lens
    AWESOME. Thanks for the great advice! I'll try the lens cover, and if that's not enough, I'll get a BT40S. Could I run the BT40S and existing Bright-Eyes light from the same battery (with a Y connector), or would it overtax the battery?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phile View Post
    AWESOME. Could I run the BT40S and existing Bright-Eyes light from the same battery (with a Y connector), or would it overtax the battery?
    The lights should run fine with a good quality y-cable on the battery that comes with the Revtronic BT40s. I've not heard good things about the Bright Eyes batteries so questionable whether it would be able to handle the extra load.
    Mole