Budget light Beamshot requests?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Budget light Beamshot requests?

I'm planning to head out sometime in the next weeks to take a Full Beamshot photo shoot. GearBest has sent me the BT40 and the BT70 to allow a complete beamshot comparison.

Is is there any combos you would like to see, helmet and bar, tint comparisons, locations? I'm planning my usual trail shot and may, toss in a field shot to better show beam patterns. I was also considering a helmet and bar beamshot, just not sure how that would work with so many choices. If there's any combo that you would like to see, post it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I would suggest to do it at few different venues. For example: open space, single track, sorrounded by trees or bushes to see if there is some kind of tunnel effect and similar. Of course this is a lot of work. If this is to much, then choose an average or tipical venue where you can compare throw and spill at the same time.

If you want to get things complicated and not just showing beam profile you might consider the following:

As an idea, place the camera on the height of your head and lights above and/or below (and bit in front) just like you would have in real situation in relation to your eyes. This would have also practical value. Of course also not easy to do.

To get fair comparations you would also need to take care of power sources. In this case maybe cooled 5A step down converter might be helpful. This would give more or less constant power and won't be dependable on battery sag. For example I would take 3SxP pack as input and set output at 8V which would simulate full battery pack. On the other hand this would not happen in reality and there you would get more or less voltage sag.

Another thing, heating. Maybe you should define standard amount of time since switching light on and taking picture. Some light heats soon, some don't. This has influence on amount of output.

Regarding the amount of light output (if you plan to add to comparation) I would use luxmeter to show intensity of hotspot (ie. throw capabilities) and ceiling bounce readings to compare amount of light flow (lumens). It is not very accurate method, but would tell relative differencies between the lights. Wide lens would for example result in lower lumen reading than actualy is because you get very few light bounced back form the spill.

All in all to much and to complicated, I woudn't do it all unless I would have been retired and had nothing to do.

I like turtles
    I like helmet and bar, try the BT21 (helmet) and BT40 (bar) as that seems to be a popular combo.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    I would suggest to do it at few different venues. For example: open space, single track, sorrounded by trees or bushes to see if there is some kind of tunnel effect and similar. Of course this is a lot of work. If this is to much, then choose an average or tipical venue where you can compare throw and spill at the same time.

If you want to get things complicated and not just showing beam profile you might consider the following:

As an idea, place the camera on the height of your head and lights above and/or below (and bit in front) just like you would have in real situation in relation to your eyes. This would have also practical value. Of course also not easy to do.

To get fair comparations you would also need to take care of power sources. In this case maybe cooled 5A step down converter might be helpful. This would give more or less constant power and won't be dependable on battery sag. For example I would take 3SxP pack as input and set output at 8V which would simulate full battery pack. On the other hand this would not happen in reality and there you would get more or less voltage sag.

Another thing, heating. Maybe you should define standard amount of time since switching light on and taking picture. Some light heats soon, some don't. This has influence on amount of output.

Regarding the amount of light output (if you plan to add to comparation) I would use luxmeter to show intensity of hotspot (ie. throw capabilities) and ceiling bounce readings to compare amount of light flow (lumens). It is not very accurate method, but would tell relative differencies between the lights. Wide lens would for example result in lower lumen reading than actualy is because you get very few light bounced back form the spill.

All in all to much and to complicated, I woudn't do it all unless I would have been retired and had nothing to do.
    Excellent Post!!! It's always good to be reminded of all the variables that can effect how accurately test results reflect a lights true performance.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Looking forward to your shots.

No need to to make it overly complicated, bar shots are fine for me. Just getting out there with all that equipment is hard enough. My only request is that you include some of the older lights such as the Solarstorm X2 and the dual Yinding so I have a frame of reference. Also it would be helpful if there was something like a branch or other object in the beamshot to give us a sense of depth.

Here's the last big beamshot comparison test (as far as I know):
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...ut-886062.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes I know it can be way to complicated. Maybe I just wanted to emphize some aspects that have influence in the perfomance if someone would take more scienfistic aproach.

mtbr member
    How about reference objects at certain distances? (Or at least distances to objects seen in the beamshots.) Distances in feet of course .

Including combo shots is fine, but please make sure there are solo shots too. It's way too hard to decipher a single lights beam pattern from a combo shot.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks guys, some great ideas here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    No, we need distances in metric sistem!!! Feets doesn't tell me anything My feet is bigger than yours. Joking....

Of course both would be the best. It is the same with temperatures we are used on.

RAKC
    Im with these guys, if you can get distance measurements to objects I think It would do good for people trying to judge what they need. Im with garry on the combo beams thing too, something along the lines of both sitting there then bar light alone, helmet light alone, then combo. unless you have a wide flood and a tight spot, the 2 will just mix into each other, dealt with that with my experiments, bar light washing out helmet light.