Budget friendly tail light that is USB charged?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Budget friendly tail light that is USB charged?

Thought I wanted the NiteRider Solas but apparently a lot of ppl have had it break off. I am now looking at this one but not sure if it's as good. I only ride in trails and around the neighborhood.. very very rarely am I on a major roadway. Thx for any input!

Cygolite Hotshot anygood?

http://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Hotsh...der+tail+light

and I was thinking of this combo? I do very light night riding around the neighborhood possible 400 lumens is fine just to get home fi it gets dark?

Amazon.com : Cygolite Metro 400 Hot Shot USB Combo Light : Sports & Outdoors

RAKC
    The combo is fine for riding around town, wouldn't be all that great for trail use though.

mtbr member
    Yup tigris, I agree. Not the best for trail riding, but still doable just at a reduced speed. If you can swing it go for something with more output though than the 400. The hotshot is a good light just very focused so its imperative to have it mounted properly. It doesnt make a good light to hang on your pack for sure, but when mounted on the seat post aiming directly back it gets seen from far away and impossible to miss. Mine has held up great and Im bvery happy with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    The combo is fine for riding around town, wouldn't be all that great for trail use though.
    I really don't think my wife or I will be doing much if any trail riding at night. My main concern is we lose track of time and it start's to get dark on us I would at least like some light to find out way back out of the trails even if at a low speed..

RAKC
    Ya that set will do fine for what you need. Be warned, night riding gets addicting though lol.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Ya that set will do fine for what you need. Be warned, night riding gets addicting though lol.
    I road just around where I live at night and enjoyed it.. so much cooler out and I felt like I could ride longer. Are there any other tail lights you would recommend or is the hotshot the one to get? I prefer USB charging instead of having to buy batteries.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I wonder why you prefer having a USB rechargeable light rather than AA/AAA? You could use rechargeable AA/AAA and if they die while you're out, you could probably find a shop nearby to buy some.

I just bought the Magicshine MJ818 to hook up to my existing setup, one less battery to worry about..

mtbr member
    The Cygolite Hotshot 2 is what I use, and my brother too. We set them to flash mode, and it's MISERABLE following. BRIGHT friggin' tail light.

mtbr member
    How bright do you need a taillight to be on the trail? Are you expecting vehicles coming up behind you?

I have ones of these.

https://www.serfas.com/products/view/669/

RAKC
    I have a couple battery ones and I forget the other USB one I have, the hotshot 2 is nuts. And on flash runtime is I forget how long but I have a few hours on mine probably getting time to charge it lol.

mtbr member
    is this light as good or better than the hotshot 2? Amazon.com : Pedallon USB Rechargable LED 100 Lumens Rear Bike Light : Sports & Outdoors

i'm looking for a good tail light. just came across that one on amazon. maybe the hotshot 2 would be better?

mtbr member
    I've never seen that light or heard anything on here posted about it so I don't know. Amazon has a great return policy though so there's no real risk to try it.

I like turtles
    Knog Blinder.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

Action LED Lights
    [QUOTE=BG78;12229884]Thought I wanted the NiteRider Solas but apparently a lot of ppl have had it break off. I am now looking at this one but not sure if it's as good. I only ride in trails and around the neighborhood.. very very rarely am I on a major roadway. Thx for any input!

Here's one you might consider - Dosun LR260 USB Rechargeable Tail Light ? Action-LED-Lights
    USB rechargeable, Good output, great side visibility, easy to attach (seat post) One thing I really like about it is that the light comes from 17 small LED's that are spread out in a line. This makes it very visible but not as intense for the people behind you as a single pin point led putting out the same amount of light.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hot Shot Micro. Super bright, tiny and USB rechargeable.

Cygolite Hotshot Micro Rear Bike Light - REI.com

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BG78 View Post
    .... I was thinking of this combo? I do very light night riding around the neighborhood possible 400 lumens is fine just to get home fi it gets dark?

Amazon.com : Cygolite Metro 400 Hot Shot USB Combo Light : Sports & Outdoors
    For the type of riding you are talking about that should be more than enough. For seat post mounting the Hotshot is a very good light. The Cygolite Metro 400 is a good choice for commuter ( short distance ) or paved trails.

Concerning the use of the Hotshot: You will likely find out very quickly that it will very hard to follow whoever is riding in front ( you or the wife ) when they are using the Hotshot. It is THAT bright. The good news is that if you choose the "steady" setting you are able to adjust the brightness to a very low setting. The brighter flash settings are mostly for when riding alone on roads.