Budget flashlight as backup night light- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Budget flashlight as backup night light

I suspect that many of you carry a backup compact flashlight in your hydration pack or elsewhere. One that can be mounted on helmet/bars as a temporary replacement for the primary light if that fails.

Please share your budget flashlight preference/s; I am aiming squarely at those hit and miss Chinese website "bargains" I guess; but feel free to include any other decent value for money flashlights that have proven themselves...

I have one of these (commandeered by wife for trail running):
    Mini UltraFire HD - 2011 Cree XM - L T6 1200Lm 5 Modes LED 18650 Flashlight-12.07 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

Cool white, bright enough, does heat up quickly on brightest setting.

One that failed(suspect driver failure after checking all other possibilities):

Cree XM - L T6 1000lm 3 - Mode 10W 18650 LED Flashlight-7.59 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

I am a convert of warm to neutral white light; more lumens certainly not always the better choice either.
    Last edited by goatman; 07-09-2016 at 01:42 AM.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

mtbr member
    I mount one of these on my bars. It is the blinky I use when I start the ride while still in daylight, then I shut it off and switch over to the heavy hitters when night falls. But on high power, this little thing will get me home. It seems like much less of a light than what you are linking to for a backup, but for me it fits the bill as my third/backup light. It is really tiny and doesn't weigh a thing or take up much space on my bars.
    https://www.amazon.com/MetroFlash-Ig...4VX8ZMWE914442

RAKC
    I run dual lights (one bars, one helmet) so I don't carry a back up unless it's a group ride in whivh case we end up stopping for a "break" and hanging out at certain spots.
    Hi
    I have several flashlights, a few edc flashlights. Convoy s2+, EE X6, couple custom lights etc.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I use one of these on the helmet, it will get me home if my other two lights go out.
    H52w AA Headlamp Neutral White

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I also modded a flashlight or two, especially adding a warm/neutral white emitter star.
    Goatman

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've wanted one of those 18650 flashlights as a backup or as main light for quick rides around neighborhood for a while now.

I bought one of these last night on an impulse (it was on sale):
    Convoy S2+ Cree XML U2 - 1B 7135 x 6 8 - Mode 940lm Highlight LED White Flashlight (1 x 18650)-11.32 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

Is that a decent light for this purpose?

RAKC
    Varider, I have 2 of those. One is my actual edc use the other I converted to triple 219c and is my flashlight for working on vehicles. Great little flashlights, my #1 recommend for an 18650 edc sized light.

So yeap, perfect choice. I though I would have paid a few dollars more to get from mtnelectronics.com just cause it get here in a few days vs a few weeks, but that's me But my red one and my eagleeye x6 (almost the exact same) I got from gearbest last summer.

I had read reports of "convoy clones" that carry the name and spec but drivers aren't the same, coming from some vendors but mtn I know for sure is real and no reports of the ones from gearbest being cloned versions yet either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Good score varider! I got an s2+ coming with the xpg3 3a emitter. Mixed reviews on the xpg3's....

RAKC
    Nothing wrong with them that I know of, but xp-l and xm-l2 does better if you want max lumens. I need to catch up on how reviews are going, I have 3 sitting here to get used and debating on getting a blue s2+ host and making a triple xpg3 edc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ah, good. It seemed like it was a good deal at $10.99.

Are these the real Panasonic batteries?
    NCR18650B 3.7V 3400mAh 18650 Li-ion Battery-3.85 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

I also found a thread on ultra cheap chargers
    Best "really cheap" 18650 charger | BudgetLightForum.com
    but I have to do some reading on those. Any sub $20 chargers you guys could recommend off the top of your heads?

RAKC
    I have no idea on the cells, never bought them from there.

Like I said, I went to supporting a US company for all that stuff, has chargers and all that. Batteries do take FOREVER to get from China though. I would guess those are real, I was involved when they sourced them last summer so I'm guessing they are still. I have a hobby charger but no way I would buy some cheap charger. Branded only I don't feel burning my house down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    That battery link is for an unprotected cell. I'm pretty sure it's legit. I've ordered several but now, like Tig said, I only get my cells stateside. And not Amazon either. Stay away from any battery with "fire" and you should be ok. Mtn electronics is a go to...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goatman View Post
    I suspect that many of you carry a backup compact flashlight in your hydration pack or elsewhere. One that can be mounted on helmet/bars as a temporary replacement for the primary light if that fails.

Please share your budget flashlight preference/s; I am aiming squarely at those hit and miss Chinese website "bargains" I guess; but feel free to include any other decent value for money flashlights that have proven themselves...

I have one of these (commandeered by wife for trail running):
    Mini UltraFire HD - 2011 Cree XM - L T6 1200Lm 5 Modes LED 18650 Flashlight-12.07 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

Cool white, bright enough, does heat up quickly on brightest setting.

One that failed(suspect driver failure after checking all other possibilities):

Cree XM - L T6 1000lm 3 - Mode 10W 18650 LED Flashlight-7.59 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

I am a convert of warm to neutral white light; more lumens certainly not always the better choice either.
    Good choice with the UF HD. For years I've always mounted a similar torch on the bars for back up. I have a Convoy S2 with neutral white Xm-L2 and another ( similar look ) Chinese torch with a neutral white XML that I modded myself. The S2 uses four modes the other is three.

Lately I've gotten into mini-torches. I bought one of these and have used it a time or two on the bars for back up. ( you can read my review on Amazon if you want ) I have a small rubber / Velcro mount that works very well with the OLight S1. Doesn't have the run time of a 18650 torch but for back-up in the local parks it gets the job done.

On a side note; Nice to back on-line again. It's gonna take me time to get used to the new computer ( using Windows 10 which is extremely anti-intuitive ) not to mention finding peripheral programs to replace the ones I lost. *sigh*

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Idea! Mini torch

Welcome back Catman!

Well thanks to you I am now tempted to buy one of these mini EDC babies:

ON THE ROAD M3 920Lm Cree L2 U2 5C 16340 LED Flashlight-21.89 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

Good luck with Windows 10 compatibility...
    Last edited by goatman; 07-13-2016 at 12:52 PM.
    Goatman

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Welcome back Tigris!

ON THE ROAD M3 920Lm Cree L2 U2 5C 16340 LED Flashlight-21.89 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

I'm considering one of these for the same purpose. I use a Smith snowboard helmet in the winter and that stops me from using a helmet light. It's more money but good run time for a backup and enough light to get back safely.

https://www.armytek.com/products/fla...te-silver.html

Two of these would be great if there was a good way to bar mount them, they seem heavy. Use a modded one for a main bar light and keep a stock one tucked away in a pack in case of failure.

Supfire M6 -3 x XM-L2 - 4 x 18650 Flashlight

turtles make me hot
    I carry a Fenix TK11 in my pack when I ride at night. Almost as bright as my helmet light. It would certainly get me out in the event of a light failure.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    ........ I use a Smith snowboard helmet in the winter and that stops me from using a helmet light.
    Stick a GoPro mount on your helmet then you can mount a light easily.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Welcome back Tigris!

I'm pretty sure you meant to address this comment to me ( me'sa CAtman, not tigris )...anyway, the torch you linked to looks almost exactly like the Olight S1! Talk about a clone! If I didn't know any better I would swear it was the same torch. Wow, Look at the price difference. I paid about $80 for the mini Olight Ti model. The GB one looks like a good deal but I don't see the spec's listed or what output or UI is provided. When it comes to mini torches "mode Output" is very important. The S1 has a low, a 70 lm medium and a 480 lumen high. The thing is if the output is too high the runtime ( with the small batteries ) is extremely short. I run the 70 lm. when needed and works for general slow riding. I wish the S1 had a 120 lm mode. 120 would be perfect and maybe run for 45 to an hour. Didn't mention it before but I also recommend using a small AA powered torch, I have one of those too and use it all the time at work ( Solarforce with XP-G, four modes, 120 lumen max. )

Gearbest sells the Convoy S2 with neutral LED as well but you might not be able to get the host color you want. The Convoy I have I had custom built at Mountain Electronics but the last time I visited their website they weren't doing any builds ( maybe on vacation? ) Anyway the GB one is not bad and I think offers a choice of UI ( 3 or 5 mode )

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Apologies Catman! (post was meant for you not Tigris...have some kind of brain freeze...) Thanks for your feedback!!

I just ordered one of these Convoy S3's:

Convoy S3 XM - L2 T6 4C LED Flashlight-15.20 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
    Goatman

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    Two of these would be great if there was a good way to bar mount them, they seem heavy. Use a modded one for a main bar light and keep a stock one tucked away in a pack in case of failure.

Supfire M6 -3 x XM-L2 - 4 x 18650 Flashlight
    WHAT??? Those would weigh a ton! No way I'd consider riding with those! BTW - I've meant to pickup an M6 for a long time now but haven't. It's a nice light, especially in modded form!

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Stick a GoPro mount on your helmet then you can mount a light easily.
    Is there an adapter to mount a flashlight to a gopro mount? The only ones I found were over $20.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Is there an adapter to mount a flashlight to a gopro mount? The only ones I found were over $20.
    I've done several over the past couple years, but not as a stock item so I don't show them on my site. I just cut a radius groove in the mounting tab of the plain adapter and the user attaches the flashlight with a couple zip-ties or a hose clamp. The ones I've done so far have had a few variations in radius size to better match the radius of the torch body. Pricing starts at $8.00 for ABS plastic. Lexan plastic or aluminum available at additional cost.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    WHAT??? Those would weigh a ton! No way I'd consider riding with those! BTW - I've meant to pickup an M6 for a long time now but haven't. It's a nice light, especially in modded form!

-Garry
    I'm looking for the perfect wintertime fatbike bar light and a modded M6 with Nichia's would be great. Good runtime, self heating of the batteries, lots of output levels to deal with falling snow and if you get in an open spot you can crank up the light and have a really good look around. Having a cheap spare light with a lot of the same parts and a fresh set of batteries tucked away in a pack or framebag just makes a lot of sense to me.

I can see why the weight would bother some people but in this case its going on a bike with bar mitts and 4.8 inch 1400 gram tires at 5 psi. I run a Light and Motion Seca 2000 with the enduro battery strapped to the bar and a Taz as a a backup. The M6 can't weigh much more than the two of them and would give me more bar space. How to mount the thing to the bar is the part that's holding me back.

RAKC
    Those won't weigh any more than exposure lights. $1000 flashlights with handlebar mounts, literally.

FYI Nichias aren't going to give near the light xm-l2 would but hard to beat the tint of 219c. I've still yet to put my xpg3's in a light and check them out against the 219c need to do it soonish though.

mtbr member
    Continued from what I said previously about my Olight S1;

I did a night ride last night and was using the S1 for hills/rest spots etc..lite duty for the most part. I did use it again when I got back to the road and used it all the way back to the car ( a 1.5 mile road ride up a mile long hill ). While I only used the 70 lumen setting the whole time I was surprised that when I got home that the battery was still registering a full charge when I put it back on the charger. Not bad for a torch using a single small RCR123A cell.

@tigris; Let me know how you like the beam tint of the XPG3's ( if they have a decent NW version ).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    As a third light I'm always (even when I go to daylight trip) carriying in the backpack an old and small warmwhite zoomable flashlight with 18340 Trustfire cell. The battery was purchased back when there was less fake cells, but I still did not know much about LI-Ion cells. It is small, light and handy. Zoomable feature gives you some throw if you need or you can have wide spread beam. Sometimes usable to just look into some cave or similar. So there are options to use "torches".

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I'm using the Armytec Wizard Pro warm white edition. Rated at 2100lm it's prolly closer to 1200lm. I love the tint and it's super small. I thro it in my bag as a backup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Road View Post
    I'm using the Armytec Wizard Pro warm white edition. Rated at 2100lm it's prolly closer to 1200lm. I love the tint and it's super small. I thro it in my bag as a backup.
    Looks similar to the Zebralight ( 90 offset head ) headlight ( 1200 lumen version )

mtbr member
    I always have my Zebralight H600w Mk II Neutral White headlamp with me. H600w Mk II 18650 XM-L2 Headlamp Neutral White It works great as a helmet light. I carry a spare 18650 battery in my pack too. The beam works great with the Nitefighter BT40 that is on the bars. Both are neutral white and blend together nicely.