Bontrager Ion 1300 Pro RT light combinations?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Bontrager Ion 1300 Pro RT light combinations?

I just picked up an Ion 1300. This will be my first night riding setup. So far I like the beam tint (looks neutral white or maybe even a bit warmer?).

Does anyone have any suggestions on a light to pair it with? I want a similar tint. I'm also not sure whether to run the Ion on the bars, or helmet.

On my shortlist I was considering:
    - Gloworm Alpha 1200 on helmet, Ion on bars
    - Ion on helmet, Outbound Lighting Trail edition on bars

I'm budget minded.. so if there are cheaper considerations I'm definitely all ears. Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I happen to use a 1300 and now, an Outbound Trail, too. I find that, given my trails with limited sight lines (less than 20 feet, for the most part), I can run the Outbound on medium-low, and the 1300 on its lowest setting. The light carpet is real from Outbound--it does a phenomenal job lighting the immediate area, without feeling like you are riding in a tunnel. On high, then have plenty of punch to see at 30mph.

My only complaint with the 1300, compared to lights built for [only] trail riding, is that you can't skip the flash modes unless you throw down for their remote/have a [new] touchscreen Garmin.

mtbr member
    FWIW: In my experience, controlling the Bontrager light with a Garmin 820 has been so erratic as to be useless. Plus, swiping screens and getting to the light control and then controlling it is not something really feasible while underway, IMO. You have to pay attention and be really deliberate going through the steps. The Bontrager remote works much better. Trying the 820 was about a year ago so it's possible things have gotten better. I haven't yet tried the newer 830 with the Bontrager lights.

You can run two Bontrager lights, bars/helmet, and control both with the remote.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by velock View Post
    I just picked up an Ion 1300. This will be my first night riding setup. So far I like the beam tint (looks neutral white or maybe even a bit warmer?).

Does anyone have any suggestions on a light to pair it with? I want a similar tint. I'm also not sure whether to run the Ion on the bars, or helmet.

On my shortlist I was considering:
    - Gloworm Alpha 1200 on helmet, Ion on bars
    - Ion on helmet, Outbound Lighting Trail edition on bars

I'm budget minded.. so if there are cheaper considerations I'm definitely all ears. Thanks all!
    I never found a combo I was happy with using the Ion 1300 for trail use (too heavy for me as a helmet light and I prefer a wider beam for the bars). I like the light for path and road use but prefer other options for the trail. I do own an Outbound Trail and Gloworm Alpha so at least can give some info on the tint match. The Outbound is best match IMO. NW Gloworm is warmer and their standard tint (they call it daylight) is a bit cooler but a closer match than my NW Alpha. The link below is to a Ion 1300 thread. It's not had a lot of activity lately but still might be a good place to post your question to other Ion owners for their opinion.
    Mole

https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...l#post14089539