Bikeray III problems... Anyone else?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Upset Bikeray III problems... Anyone else?

I got my Bikeray III through Geoman and on the third ride it just shutdown to never recover. So Geoman having a great CS sent me another one, which also broke down after less than 5 hours of use (road use only).
    Now I'm being offered 2 MS 900 instead of a third Bikeray, but I love the beam pattern of BR3 and I already have a MS.
    So the question here is if I'm just being extremely unluck and should try another BR3 or if BR3 (at least the old style ones) are junk and I should take the 2 MS heads offer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've had mine now for about three months. It could just be my eyes playing tricks on me, but it does seem to dim some on the high beam after about 30 minutes of riding, but can't say for sure. It just seems really bright when I first turn it on then fades somewhat (this is while riding, not stopped). Other than that I haven't had any problems. I night ride 2-3 times a week and it's still works fine. If I get over a year on this light I suppose I'll be happy since I can buy three of these for the price of the darkstar (the light I orginally was going to buy).
    "Ride it Like You Stole it"!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

MTB or Road?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_hog
    I've had mine now for about three months. It could just be my eyes playing tricks on me, but it does seem to dim some on the high beam after about 30 minutes of riding, but can't say for sure. It just seems really bright when I first turn it on then fades somewhat (this is while riding, not stopped). Other than that I haven't had any problems. I night ride 2-3 times a week and it's still works fine. If I get over a year on this light I suppose I'll be happy since I can buy three of these for the price of the darkstar (the light I orginally was going to buy).
    Are you riding a MTB or a road bike? The two times mine broke down were during road rides in my road race bike, so maybe it doesn't like the "high frequency" chatter as it seems something got loose inside.

Phil from San Diego
    That sucks... Well, couple hundred of us will be receiving the new BikeRay III's from BikeRay USA this week so I'm sure the reports good/bad will be coming in shortly after.

Phil.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by leopafe
    Are you riding a MTB or a road bike? The two times mine broke down were during road rides in my road race bike, so maybe it doesn't like the "high frequency" chatter as it seems something got loose inside.
    Mountain Bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_hog
    I've had mine now for about three months. It could just be my eyes playing tricks on me, but it does seem to dim some on the high beam after about 30 minutes of riding, but can't say for sure. It just seems really bright when I first turn it on then fades somewhat (this is while riding, not stopped). Other than that I haven't had any problems.... .
    Actually this phenomenon is quite common when using any very bright light at night. Eventually your eyes adjust to the light. This makes you think your light is less bright. Actually the output after 30 min would likely drop a small bit due to the thermal heating of the emitters but not to the extent that your eyes could detect it in most cases.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Actually this phenomenon is quite common when using any very bright light at night. Eventually your eyes adjust to the light. This makes you think your light is less bright. Actually the output after 30 min would likely drop a small bit due to the thermal heating of the emitters but not to the extent that your eyes could detect it in most cases.
    That depends on the thermal path in this particular light. If it's not very good and the emitters are getting really hot, then the light output would drop significantly and be noticeable. I haven't looked at this particular light, so I can't comment first hand about the quality of thermal path from the emitters to the case.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbMacgyver
    That depends on the thermal path in this particular light. If it's not very good and the emitters are getting really hot, then the light output would drop significantly and be noticeable. I haven't looked at this particular light, so I can't comment first hand about the quality of thermal path from the emitters to the case.
    Yes true, also depends on air temperature and whither or not the bike is moving etc...One of those few times I was being brief. Not to mention the lamp head could have a temperature sensing circuit that could cut back some current. Never know what the newer lamps might have. Good project for someone willing to tear one down.....

Single Speed Junkie
    I got my Bikeray III through Geoman and on the third ride it just shutdown to never recover. So Geoman having a great CS sent me another one, which also broke down after less than 5 hours of use (road use only).
    Now I'm being offered 2 MS 900 instead of a third Bikeray, but I love the beam pattern of BR3 and I already have a MS.
    So the question here is if I'm just being extremely unluck and should try another BR3 or if BR3 (at least the old style ones) are junk and I should take the 2 MS heads offer.

Bike Ray is on the forums and would expect them to chime in.

ride for fun
    not sure how bikerayusa would handle a warantee issue with a light from another vendor, but its worth a shot as they seem to want to show they will stand behind the product. i might not expect a freebie but even if they could fix yours that would be better. i would contact them and see if they can do anything before i accepted the 2 ms deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Smile

I'm going to ride tonight and take pictures of the light beam when I leave the trail and then return. I'll do my best to be at the exact same location and distance. If the pics show any significant diffrence I'll post them up sometime tomorrow (if I can figure out how to do it).

mtbr member
    Going back to the original OP ( above ). I would really like to hear what Geoman has to say about the returned BR III. Was he able to make it work or verify what the problem was? I realize of course that he can't comment unless the OP contacts him and gives him permission to comment on the return. I only suggest this because it is very odd to get two back to back products and have both fail. I would just really like to hear what the vendor has to say about the returned product.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Good one

Going back to the original OP ( above ). I would really like to hear what Geoman has to say about the returned BR III. Was he able to make it work or verify what the problem was? I realize of course that he can't comment unless the OP contacts him and gives him permission to comment on the return. I only suggest this because it is very odd to get two back to back products and have both fail. I would just really like to hear what the vendor has to say about the returned product.
    That's actually a very good suggestion. Iíll contact Geoman and ask about what was wrong with the first BR3.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2010

Good job! apologize for that

Sir, thank you for your trust of Bike Ray. We feel very sorry for the inconvenience .
    In fact, we find a little problem with Old RayIII version on soldering. However, we improved that and really take steps to avoid that problem . We give you 12 months warranty if you have the warranty serial number. Please contact the retailer who you buy from ........

We will keep improving and developing. Thank you very much for your sincere words!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeray
    Sir, thank you for your trust of Bike Ray. We feel very sorry for the inconvenience .
    In fact, we find a little problem with Old RayIII version on soldering. However, we improved that and really take steps to avoid that problem . We give you 12 months warranty if you have the warranty serial number. Please contact the retailer who you buy from ........

We will keep improving and developing. Thank you very much for your sincere words!
    Hey Ray
    Were exactly would the warranty serial # be I looked all over the light head and no #
    Product warranty card no #
    Not that I'm having any problems with this light it would just be nice to know, why would not the bill of sale be good enough for warranty it has the date of sale on it ? I do not remember seeing anything that had a warranty serial # on it and I have all the paperwork that came with it..
    Last edited by Rakuman; 05-20-2011 at 02:07 PM.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman
    Hey Ray
    Were exactly would the warranty serial # be I looked all over the light head and no #
    Product warranty card no #
    Not that I'm having any problems with this light it would just be nice to know, why would not the bill of sale be good enough for warranty it has the date of sale on it ? I do not remember seeing anything that had a warranty serial # on it and I have all the paperwork that came with it..
    Hi Rakuman~!

Just send us your lights. We do have parts and technicians to repair them as we once promissed., free of charge.
    You will find our address on our website.
    No serial numbers were ever printed on those lights, so don't worry about those things nor warranty card..

All we want to do is, try to keep our brand name up by giving proper support to the products from BikeRay. Thats all.
    Team BikeRay USA
    LED Bike Lights

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerayusa
    Hi Rakuman~!

Just send us your lights. We do have parts and technicians to repair them as we once promissed., free of charge.
    You will find our address on our website.
    No serial numbers were ever printed on those lights, so don't worry about those things nor warranty card..

All we want to do is, try to keep our brand name up by giving proper support to the products from BikeRay. Thats all.
    Sorry for the mistake.
    It wasn't you.
    Team BikeRay USA
    LED Bike Lights

mtbr member
    That's actually a very good suggestion. Iíll contact Geoman and ask about what was wrong with the first BR3.
    Thanks
    leopafe;
    You may send to us those damaged lights.
    No serial number or warranty card needed.
    Our address is on our website. You may also find our statement on "NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS" section.

It is our sincere hope to help out on this situation.
    thats all.
    Team BikeRay USA
    LED Bike Lights

mtbr member
    Thanks Bikeray Usa
    My light is working fine, I just brought this up when bikeray mentioned needing a warranty # and I tried to find one just in case I had problems with mine..
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    leopafe;
    You may send to us those damaged lights.
    No serial number or warranty card needed.
    Our address is on our website. You may also find our statement on "NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS" section.

It is our sincere hope to help out on this situation.
    thats all.
    Thanks Bikerayusa, but Geoman has already shipped another BR3 and I hope this one will last longer than 5 hours. If not, I'll definitely contact you.
    Cheers

Phil from San Diego
    Just received 2 sets of the New Bikeray 3's! They look sweet, very well made and smaller than I expected! =)

Looks like these new BR3's has the serial numbers laser itched in the light heads. Nice!

Will go for a ride tonight and see how well they work. Maybe take some beam shots and post up a review.

So far, great first impression!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prexus2005
    Just received 2 sets of the New Bikeray 3's! They look sweet, very well made and smaller than I expected! =)

Looks like these new BR3's has the serial numbers laser itched in the light heads. Nice!

Will go for a ride tonight and see how well they work. Maybe take some beam shots and post up a review.

So far, great first impression!
    Hi, Prexus2005;

Great that you liked.
    Ya, pics and your honest opinion counts a lot.
    Team BikeRay USA
    LED Bike Lights

is RAD
    Has anyone tried running a BR3 on a 2 cell battery? What sort of runtime are you getting?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Cuz
    Has anyone tried running a BR3 on a 2 cell battery? What sort of runtime are you getting?
    Well, My question will be, why would you run with just 2 cells~? You will not get no more than 1.5 hr.
    Team BikeRay USA
    LED Bike Lights

is RAD
    Well, My question will be, why would you run with just 2 cells~? You will not get no more than 1.5 hr.
    I want a light weight, helmet mounted light and battery (no cables coming off the helmet), and my usual night rides last for 1 to 1.5 hrs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Cuz
    I want a light weight, helmet mounted light and battery (no cables coming off the helmet), and my usual night rides last for 1 to 1.5 hrs.
    See Scar here
    http://amoebalight.blogspot.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0