BikeRay I and II Review- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Smile BikeRay I and II Review

A few weeks ago I contacted Patrick from BikeRay USA, and asked about ordering a set of lights. He was very helpful and suggested I use the BikeRay-I and the BikeRay-II lights for my type of riding. I used the BikeRay-I on my helmet and the II on my bars. My typical ride is 14 miles of mostly twisty single-track through the forest in Colorado, Falcon Trail specifically. In quick summary, all I can say is WOW, these lights really performed beyond anything I was expecting.

I received the lights within a week ordering them, and was blown away at the quality of the packaging. Each light came in its own box, with the light itself, a charger, a batter, and a helmet mounting strap with extra mounting equipment for the handlebars. Opening the lights was like opening the perfectly wrapped present on Christmas, nothing better. The batteries came fully charged ready to go, which made my first ride that much better.

After about 5 minutes of set up on my bike and helmet, I set off for my first night ride of my life. Starting around dusk, I initially had the lights on low mode, which is more than sufficient even for dark cloudy nights like tonight. I did however switch both lights to high about 30 minutes after sundown to see their true potential. Having the wider beam on the bars allowed for better overall coverage, while the light on my helmet with a little narrower beam allowed for easy cornering. Riding the single-track with both lights on high was even too bright at times; I ended up finishing the last half of the ride with the bar light on low.

Even though this was my first time riding at night, I was very comfortable with everything, especially with these lights. I’d say my “downhill” speed was about 90% of that in the day, while my flat and uphill speeds were 95-100% of daylight’s. Honestly though, these were so bright that on a straight trail, I could see rocks coming from over 50 yards away, just like in the day. I have 20-15 vision and can claim without a doubt that the lights will not be the downfall to your night riding. Because it was my first time, I was a little timid with my riding, but tonight’s ride might have been the best ride of my life. I saw 18 deer, 4 coyotes, 2 baby owls and a rabbit, non of which would you see in the day.

Riding at night is a whole new experience, and with these lights selling for around $100 for the lamp and a 4+ hour battery to accompany it, you really can’t go wrong.

(and sorry about the poor quality pictures, I was my own cameraman tonight)

Pictures don't do justice...

I really wish this one came out better than it did

Patrick, thanks for an amazing product, I really can’t say enough good things about them. Two thumbs way up!

-Matt
    Last edited by whos that guy; 05-06-2011 at 10:25 PM.

mtbr member
    FWIW...You might want to try mounting the light on the helmet a little further up the helmet. Sitting on the visor as you have it I would think the helmet would keep tilting down in the front. I realize of course that you might have done that because that is the only way it would fit on the helmet. With some of the newer brand name helmets they simply don't design the helmets to be " helmet light user friendly". If that's the case here you might want to buy another helmet that will work better with helmet mounting. Don't be afraid to buy a cheapie helmet as long as it fits and the vents line up right. If you do shop for a new helmet don't be afraid to take the mount with you just so you know that it will work.

Looks like your first night ride was quite an adventure! Welcome to the dark side of mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Cat Man, thanks for the reply. I actually did move it up about 3 inches for my actual ride. That picture was taken just after the lights arrived. I had to mount them up immediately, I was too excited to leave it in the box, haha. And yes, the dark side is the new side.

ride for fun
    My appologies if i missed it in the op, but did you get spare batteries as well or 4 sets of lights?

Im also loving my Ray2 on the helmet, cant wait to get my hands on a Ray3 or 4 to replace the 2 Magicshine lights Im currently running on the bars!
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nick, the 4 extra batteries were ordered separately. I have 2 sets of lights and batteries, plus 4 extra batteries to get me though my 24 hour race this October. And from what I've read the Ray 3 and 4 will be out of this world. Should be pretty exciting!

Take care

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i ordered a set of br3s for the wife and I (wink wink) what setup would work best for a handlebar/helmet combo.
    '11 Camber elite 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sdacman
    i ordered a set of br3s for the wife and I (wink wink) what setup would work best for a handlebar/helmet combo.
    To best answer your question, you'll need someone else to chime in. I'm still new to this whole light deal. I put the Ray2 on my bars, it has a little wider of a beam, and the Ray1 on my helmet which is a little bit more narrow. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm guessing BikeRay USA will chime in before long... Take care!

Members who have read this thread: 0