Bike Ray charging- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I left mine on the charger overnight, so maybe 3-4 hours of trickle, with no damage or any problems at all.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The BikeRay website is a bit confusing and contradictory. They also state:

CE & UL listed safety auto off charger.

So go figure.

In any case I did not notice the battery heating up while charging.

JKA
    mtbr member

Bike Ray charging

I like the pics I've seen posted of the Bike Ray lights. My only concern comes from their own website where it has a warning about "never overcharge Lion batteries". They say you have to take them off the charger within 15-20 minutes of fully charging and then let them cool prior to use. Every LION battery device I have used has an automatic shut off with a trickle charge so you can't over-charge them. What's the story. I don't want to have to sit and stare at the charger to make sure I take it off in time so I don't over bake the battery every time. I like to put it on the charger overnight and forget about it and take it off in the morning. If this is a real issue, I'll pass on their lights, if not please correct me (and their website).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKA View Post
    I like the pics I've seen posted of the Bike Ray lights. My only concern comes from their own website where it has a warning about "never overcharge Lion batteries". They say you have to take them off the charger within 15-20 minutes of fully charging and then let them cool prior to use. Every LION battery device I have used has an automatic shut off with a trickle charge so you can't over-charge them. What's the story. I don't want to have to sit and stare at the charger to make sure I take it off in time so I don't over bake the battery every time. I like to put it on the charger overnight and forget about it and take it off in the morning. If this is a real issue, I'll pass on their lights, if not please correct me (and their website).
    Yes, never overcharge Li-ion cells. Some folks will try to use other chargers other than the charger designed to be used with the battery. Some Li-ion chargers operate differently but for the most part there is no trickle charge involved after all cells are at their 4.2 volt max. At that point the charger led indicator turns green and the charging stops.

Some Li-ion chargers will alternate the charge current while the battery is charging. Higher current at the beginning, lower current towards the end of the charge. This is done to make sure the cells are topped off and balanced. When that point is reached the charge current stops.

As for leaving the battery and charger plugged in after the charge, for the most part there should be no worries. Likely the warning to remove the battery from charger after a full charge is just a precaution. The only way I see danger to the battery is if the charger were to have component failure while plugged in and began to charge the battery due to a circuit malfunction.. Once again, not likely to happen but if you leave the charger plugged in for prolonged periods it could conceivably increase the risk of component failure. If you really worry about such things, just use a timer. As for me, I just unplug the charger when I see it is done

mtbr member
    Hi everyone~!
    We are sorry for not updating our website as we wanted to as often as we can.

We as importer, distributor and partially involved with manufacturing, we wanted to stay in safe side of all or any miss uses and failures.
    That is reason why we wrote those comments.

Now, after many improvements, selling and marketing BikeRay lights for about a year, we are confident of all components and their workmanship.
    Many components were supplied by other component manufactures and so on, we were very caucious at first, as you do to with 'Made in China" thing.

The website will be fixed soon, and you are welcome to send us any comments or thoughts on BikeRay lights.

Thank you for your inputs~!
    Team BikeRay USA
    LED Bike Lights

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Also the electrics in the battery pack itself should cut of the charge if the battery voltage gets too high, this is a safety feature though and shouldnt be used as a way to cut the charge off