big budget new light - need suggestions- Mtbr.com
    fight the system

big budget new light - need suggestions

Hey light experts!
    I'm shopping for a new light and need some help cause I cant keep up with what's the latest and greatest. I have darkness and money to burn to find a new replacement for my 'good while it worked' Magicshine 1600 lumen bar light. I already own 2 sets of Ayups for the minimalist setup and was pretty happy with my Ayup on my helmet with the Magicshine on the bars until the MS died. I need something that is similar in brightness, will run at least 2 hours on high, has a low setting with at least 6 hours and dosent weigh a ton. Off the cuff i was thinking Lupine Wilma but I dont know much about what other lights are in its class. I'm done with messing around with cheap lights and ready to go premium since I get so many night hours in during the winter.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by jakomonster; 09-26-2012 at 03:10 PM.
    If you believe that I've got some magic beans to sell ya.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Design Shine Lighting? I don't have one, but I'd love to get my hands on one of their tail lights. All of the reviews on-line I've read have been very positive. Good luck in your search!

mtbr member
    I hear you on the Magicshines. They are cheap and OK when they work, but that is about it. Lupines actually live up to the hype so you can't go wrong there. I've been using Lupines since 2007 and highly recommend them. I've owned Niterider, Cygolite, Vistalite, Magicshine, Gloworm, Lupine, and I might have forgot something. The Lupines are by far the best build quality and their reliability is beyond all the others I listed. None of the others are even close.

fight the system
    Thanks MaximusHQ.
    Lupine just seems to easy and I'm a sucker for fringe product. Might still do it but who else has ideas?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey Jmonster

Been using Dinotte's for 6+ years now. Current set up is a dual XML-3 on bars, cheap clone on helmet.

Previously I had the 800L bars and 400L helmet. That system is currently being used by a buddy of mine and still works great. Batteries have less run time but for very very cheap, Dinotte sent a used battery to go w/ the system so it's almost like new run time.

There has never been an issue w/ any of the Dinotte lights. I have had multiple clones and they usually last a year. They are made a bit better than when they first came out and I am going on the 2nd year of my helmet clone. We'll see if I actually get another year. I do have friends that have had multiple MS's and clones and they last between 1-2 years. They are cheap though but realistically are worth the money.

My experience w/ Dinotte for FYI.

MB

Nompton, OK
    I would strongly suggest a Light and Motion Seca 1700, or a current gen Lupine Wilma or Betty.

I have owned Dinotte, Light and Motion, Lupine, and Magicshine.

The Dinottes have great build quality, function, and customer service. I had a wreck, which pulled the power cable out of the back of the light, and Dinotte fixed it for free. I have a 5+ year old set that still sees trail time as a loaner set.

I have owned a Lupine Betty and a Light and Motion Seca. Both are phenomenal lights with the highest level of build quality your money can buy. It would be a hard decision for me if I were looking at either a Wilma (or Betty), vs the new Seca 1700.

I would say that the Lupine has a little higher build quality, and just feels more solid/bulletproof than the Seca. With that said, I certainly feel like the Seca has a much better, and more useful beam pattern compared to the Lupine's somewhat narrowish beam. The Lupine used to have a leg up on the Seca by just putting out more light. Now that isn't the case, and again the Seca has what I consider a better beam. Both systems have amazing battery/charging systems that are very high quality.

I'm one of those guys that likes to just run one light. Less trouble than several lights. With both the Lupine and Seca I could do that, and never feel like I was missing the dual light system (helmet/bars), as they are both THAT good.

All this said, I have also owned Magicshines for 2.5 years and guess I have been the only person on this forum to be lucky enough to have them still work. I bought them out of curiosity due to all the buzz there is about these cheap lights. I have to say I have been very impressed with them. The damn things just won't give up, so I keep them for loaners (the more buddies on a night ride the better!), and every now and then run the dual light system with them. I've spent a LOT of money on high end lights over the years, and just can't say a bad thing about the Magicshines based on my experience with them. But sounds like you're definitely ready to move on up.

Either way, if you have a big budget, you are going to wind up with GREAT lights no matter what you choose. Let us know what you end up with!

On this link you can compare the Seca 1700 to other lights. Click on "Beam Test"

LIGHT & MOTION || Seca 1700 Race

fight the system
    Quote Originally Posted by russ3706 View Post
    I would strongly suggest a Light and Motion Seca 1700, or a current gen Lupine Wilma or Betty....

On this link you can compare the Seca 1700 to other lights. Click on "Beam Test"

LIGHT & MOTION || Seca 1700 Race
    Pretty bold for a company to show how they stack up against real competitors in a slick beam shot comparison. They have a lot of confidence that they make the best! I have to look into them more...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Keep in mind that it looks like Seca is comparing it's NEW light with an older Betty with the external switch that is most likely using their16 degree optic and XPG emitters. Lumen for lumen it is a fair comparison, but the new Lupines are much better with their 26 degree optics, and XM-L U-2 emitter. Could be wrong but thats what it looks like to me. That been said,, there is no doubt the Seca has a great beam pattern, Just my 2 cents. Cheers!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by russ3706 View Post
    All this said, I have also owned Magicshines for 2.5 years and guess I have been the only person on this forum to be lucky enough to have them still work.
    Nope, you're not the only one Have had mine for about the same, no problems.

To get back on topic, I'm with the OP, if I had money to burn on a light, I'd want something different, or "fringe" as he said it. I don't know what that product is, maybe contact one of the DIY builders and get someting custom made.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    As a sidenote, the new piko will already reduce your old magicshine 1600 to a dark and narrow bundle, it is more afforadable and much lighter than a wilma.

Members who have read this thread: 0