Betty R with Diffuser (Bar Mount)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Betty R with Diffuser (Bar Mount)

When climbing, I typically turn off my helmet light and prefer to run only my bar-mounted Betty R. The problem is, the back-and-forth handlebar "sawing" that occurs on steep pitches causes the dreaded "dancing snowball" effect that seems to mess with my night vision. I tried running a Seca 1700 on the bar due to its wide beam pattern (Light and Motion Seca 1700 Tunnel Beam Pattern - Mtbr.com) but even this wasn't sufficient for me.

I found this site that includes various beam shots of the different Lupine models with and without diffusers: Beamshots: Lupine Betty TL2 TL2S, BettyR, Betty TL, Piko, Fenix TK75, Olight X6 uvm

So I decided to replace the standard clear lens on my R with a diffuser. I've found that I now have the perfect, bar-mounted flood light. Although use of the diffuser reduces the throw significantly, a good spot-beam helmet light takes care of that problem.

The attached photo was taken with my iPhone and consequently does not show the true brightness of the 3600 lumen beam. I'd say that the actual output is about 30% brighter than shown in the photo. The bottom edge of the photo lies just above my handlebar. The useable spread of the beam is approximately a 75 degree arc to either side of the middle (compare this to the approximate 45 degree arc with the Seca 1700).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Betty R with Diffuser (Bar Mount)-img_0925.jpg