best wireless helmet mount light ~ $130- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

best wireless helmet mount light ~ $130

I want a helmet mount light that doesn't have any wires hanging off of it. Basically the lightest, brightest, cheapest helmet light that doesn't require me to have wires running down my back. I kind of hate wearing a battery in my jersey pocket or pack.

I was thinking about a light and motion 1200 taz but that seems geared toward bar mount.

I always ride with a bar mount with a 6 cell as a back up.

Any suggestions? I was using $130 as a ballpark but I have some flexibility on price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    CatEye Volt. And you'll spend less than $130

https://www.amazon.com/CatEye-Rechar...gateway&sr=8-3

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Don't by the Chinese units. They aren't the BEST.

I doubt mine is the best either, but I ride with the NiteRider Lumina light series.
    A lot of people say how crappy they are but mine works when I turn it on and it lights up the trail.

The 1200 lumen lights are sort of heavy for a helmet mount too.
    If by best you mean heavy, you're on the right track then.

mtbr member
    Bontrager ION Pro RT works well for me. Yeah, any light like this is a bit heavy on the helmet.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Cateye Volt 400. 120 grams. Don't even notice it on my helmet.

mtbr member
    ^^^nice. You'd need three to equal the light output of Taz or Ion Pro RT.
    Do the math.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    No kidding. That Bontrager Ion Pro RT looks awesome at 1300 lumens. Good looking (simple) bar mount too, although I prefer my light on my helmet. Anyway, sure looks like a winner.

As for the Cateye Volt, it's also available in 700 or 800 lumen models tho the 800 lumen Volt costs $30 more than Bontrager's 1300 lumen Ion Pro RT.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I use one of these Nitecore headlights attached with Velcro to my helmet.

Mine is 2 years old and discontinued, but assume the newer models will be even better. Works great and has a replaceable 18650 battery. Really bright and good 100 light distribution.

I have it in combination with a $30 flashlight I attached to my handlebar.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
    I want a helmet mount light that doesn't have any wires hanging off of it. Basically the lightest, brightest, cheapest helmet light that doesn't require me to have wires running down my back. I kind of hate wearing a battery in my jersey pocket or pack.

I was thinking about a light and motion 1200 taz but that seems geared toward bar mount.

I always ride with a bar mount with a 6 cell as a back up.

Any suggestions? I was using $130 as a ballpark but I have some flexibility on price.
    If best output is what your looking for the Ion Pro RT may be your best option (Exposure lights best performers for self-contained but far more expensive) around the proice limit you mentioned. It's a little heavy for my taste but doable though I prefer my Sigma Buster 700 (actually measures more like 900) because of its lighter weight (and it's half the price of the Ion). Cateye Volt 800 also looks like a winner but not the best "bang for the buck" (I don't own one of these but reviews are very positive). Another option would be the Blackburn Dayblazer 1100 which I should receive tomorrow so would be able to give you a direct comparison with the Ion Pro and Sigma lights in a few days. It has more punch than the lower output 700/800 lights but not the weight penalty of the 1200/1300 lights so may be best compromise (well see). Here's a couple of links with test information you may find useful.

https://lights.road.cc/index-wide.php

We Test Lights | Bike Tests and Teviews

Another option you may consider that would give you better performance/weight/comfort is a 2 cell battery and individual lighthead like pictured below.

Name:  scar bell.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  80.5 KB

Here's a couple of links to these type of lights in your price range.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CBRX7RW...mpc_asin_title
    This light comes spec'd with a excellent 4 cell Panasonic battery pack but these are closeout lights and some have experienced old stock battery problems. Would require separate 2 cell battery purchase but would still fall in your price range.

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...men-bike-light

Your best option most certainly will be affected by your usage (mountain/road, ride duration, terrain, bar light this would be paired with). I own all the lights I mentioned with the exception of the Cateye Volt 800 so if you have any specific questions fire away!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Don't need that kind of output on the helmet light. 300-400 lumens is plenty when your bar light is putting out 1200-1500 lumens. Speaking from my experience trail riding at night.

smartass
    I prefer more lumens on my helmet than on my bars. My helmet light is what throws light way down the trail and lets me ride fast.

I have a Gloworm X2 with 2 cell pack on my helmet like MRMOLE suggested. It's nice and low profile and puts out a lot of light. I wouldn't trade it for a self contained unit that sits up higher even for the same output.

best wireless helmet mount light ~ 0-img_1160.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt View Post
    .....I have a Gloworm X2 with 2 cell pack on my helmet like MRMOLE suggested. It's nice and low profile and puts out a lot of light. I wouldn't trade it for a self contained unit that sits up higher even for the same output.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1160.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	1245174
    IMO, a much better setup than any self-contained light currently available.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    IMO, a much better setup than any self-contained light currently available.
    Agreed. And what a clean install and set up. Wow. Better than anything that I have seen...

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Another vote for Nite Rider Lumina 1200. I got mine for less than $100 (Canadian) and I love it. I used the cheaper overseas lights for years. Always worked for me, but I have since shifted to the cordless mounts as well. Happy with my Lumina 1200 as it throws a nice bean and lights up my trail.

mtbr member
    My lightest self-contained lamp that I currently use on my helmet when I'm not using my brighter wired set is likely the custom Convoy M1 torch I own. The M1 is a standard single 18650 type torch with reflector. The reason I like it is because while it is quite the thrower it also has a nice periphery spill. The weight I barely notice. I have lighter torches that are smaller and still pretty bright but no other single emitter torch I have has as usable a beam pattern ( for MTB-iking ) as the M1. I liked it so much I bought two, one with NW XPL-HI for MTB'n and the other the brightest cool white XPL HI for road use ( or for spotting purposes while at work ).

Unfortunately not every one has a helmet that will work well with mounting a torch. Another plus side of using a torch is that you can switch out batteries during a ride if need be. I'm lucky enough to own a helmet that will work with almost any single 18650 type torch. A single piece of Velco holds it in place and I didn't even have to do anything special to aim it. Ah, if they only made that type of Bell helmet again. ( Sorry I have no idea what model it was. Even when I contacted Bell even they couldn't tell me )

Hard to get used to using a single emitter lamp on the helmet once you get used to a dual or tri-emitter set up. That's because it's nice to have throw and a nice wide beam pattern as well.

mtbr member
    Here's a runtime vs. output chart I put together using data measured on the wetestlights site for the Bontrager Ion 1300 and Lumina 1200 + my measurements on the Sigma Buster 700 (my results usually match this site very closely). As you can see the Bontrager and Lumina start out at about the same levels but the Bontrager's output remains much more stable + has a longer runtime mostly because of its much larger battery capacity. With a similar battery capacity to the Lumina the lower rated Sigma light starts out a bit below the other two lights (but far better than claimed) but actually out performs the Lumina in the last part of the runtime range for each light in its highest setting (run in its 1000 lumen highest non-boost setting the Lumina and Sigma have almost identical results). So IMO with the most output and longest runtimes the Bontrager does the best job of producing light. Not much difference between the Lumina and Sigma if output and output consistency are considered (remember similar results of Sigma high and Lumina highest non-boost setting). In the end I still like the Sigma the best for helmet use because of its lighter weight.

Green line = Sigma Buster 700 (click image to expand)
    best wireless helmet mount light ~ 0-n12-v-rt13-v-b7.jpg

I had high hopes that the Blackburn Dayblazer 1100 I got a couple of days ago would end up being the best compromise for a self-contained helmet light but far poorer performance than other sites recorded has me thinking something is wrong with the unit I got.

best wireless helmet mount light ~ 0-004.jpg
    Mole

mtbr member
    If the runtimes are OK grab a Zebralight. Light and bright.

H600w Mk IV 18650 XHP35 Neutral White Headlamp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I had high hopes that the Blackburn Dayblazer 1100 I got a couple of days ago would end up being the best compromise for a self-contained helmet light but far poorer performance than other sites recorded has me thinking something is wrong with the unit I got.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	249.4 KB 
ID:	1245573
    Mole
    New light is on its way to me from Blackburn. I know I could have gone thru Amazon but had contacted Blackburn to ask questions about the lights behavior and they said they would send me a new one and thought I'd post the positive customer service experience since little info about Blackburn on this forum. Hopefully the new light will solve the issues I had with the first one.
    Mole

mtbr member

Blackburn Dayblazer 1100 update

Have continued testing with the replacement unit Blackburn sent me. Unfortunately the new unit performs exactly as the first and my hopes of far better (than typical) efficiency that the use of 2 emitters over the typical 1 emitter setup usually found on these type of lights just didn't happen. Usually I don't take these test lights apart but since it's claimed to have a replaceable battery I was curious what was required to get at it. This revealed the battery is not field replaceable but also a poor thermal design. The whole back section of the light (approx. 80% of the exposed surface area) is just a sleeve that slides over the battery carrier and usb charging area with minimal thermal path contact resulting in a light that would only run about 3 minutes (78 degree ambient temp. with a 12" fan blowing directly on the light)in the highest setting before stepping down to low. So while high is pretty much useless the med. mode is OK. Starts out over 1000 lumens but degrades pretty quickly to around 100 lumens by 90 min. and continues at that level past 2 hrs. For me low is not any more useful runtime wise except as a be seen light since by the time the two modes runtime curves intersect output is below my comfort range. I still am medically unable to safely ride so these are just results from indoor testing but thing don't look very positive. Still puzzles me how other reviews on this light have been so different but since my 2 examples came from different sources I can only assume they are typical of what anyone would currently get when buying this light. Will give these lights another look see when I can ride again.
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sad that so many manufacturers produce lights that will not run at or near their advertised output for the bulk of the advertised runtime. Compound that by a poor thermal design too and it really makes one wonder what the heck Blackburn were thinking when they came out with this light.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'm telling you guys...CatEye volt best bang for the buck for a wireless helmet light. It's bright enough, it's light weight and it works.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Another happy Bontrager Ion pro 1300 user for about a year now. Ive got three of the units (I sometimes do ridiculously long randonneur rides) and love the mounting options when used with the Bontrager helmet and stem. Super clean, light, bright, and tucked out of the way under my garmin or mounted magnetically on my helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk