Best setups for under $ 200 NOT MADE IN CHINA- Mtbr.com
    to pedal or not to pedal
    Nov 2009

Best setups for under $ 200 NOT MADE IN CHINA

Any suggestions? I've tried to do some research but the choices are mind-boggling.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Maybe you could do two of the Dinotte 200L-AA lights - they are $119 ea.

Dinotte: "All of our lighting systems are built in our Hampton, N.H., facility"

-john

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

to pedal or not to pedal
    Nov 2009
    Thanks to both of you. Gives me a good starting point.

Gears, beers and slices..
    Dinotte 400L...currently on sale for $195.

Kick ass deal.

Rolling
    I feel this is a troll for magic shine comments.

...oh wow...I might have dropped that dirty word.

Yikes.

Given that you don't give a lot of specs other than not made in china, you have a lot of good lights available. I know some great superlight 5 dollar LED lights out there for emergencies (which I carry in my pack) that will satisfy your specs....but you really didn't specify what you really want.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    My only reply is if you're really looking at being local, which is a noble goal, you need to also look at where the parts the light are made out are assembled. No real point in buying a locally "made" unit when all the electronics and potentially even the housing are materials made overseas.

to pedal or not to pedal
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I feel this is a troll for magic shine comments.

...oh wow...I might have dropped that dirty word.

Yikes.

Given that you don't give a lot of specs other than not made in china, you have a lot of good lights available. I know some great superlight 5 dollar LED lights out there for emergencies (which I carry in my pack) that will satisfy your specs....but you really didn't specify what you really want.

Good luck.
    I need to be able to run about 2 hours for trail riding. Will also be used for a one hour commute.

mtbr member
    TrailLED 500L sells for $175. Kind of a downgraded Darkstar. Just another alternative and made in the US.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Just a note, I source as many componets as possible from US based manufacturers. Unfortunately some parts just are not made in the US anymore.

Light bodies Garland TX
    Electronics - California
    Cable - Wisconsin
    Connectors - Illinois
    Optics -Findland
    Batteries and chargers - China

Lights are assembled in TX

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zen bicycle
    Just a note, I source as many componets as possible from US based manufacturers. Unfortunately some parts just are not made in the US anymore.

Light bodies Garland TX
    Electronics - California
    Cable - Wisconsin
    Connectors - Illinois
    Optics -Findland

Thanks
    Aren't almost all LED's made in China as well?
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    I think cree still has its main fab in NC.

I think

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I think cree still has its main fab in NC.

I think
    Cree has LED fab facilities both right here in Durham, NC and in China.

to pedal or not to pedal
    Nov 2009

Light bodies Garland TX
    Electronics - California
    Cable - Wisconsin
    Connectors - Illinois
    Optics -Findland

Thanks-that helps. I'll be doing some research and be in touch. Do you know if you can get batteries manufactured anywhere beside China at any price?

mtbr member
    There are Manufacturers in Taiwan and Japan. I should have not generalized on that. Just had China on the brain for some reason. I actually use cells from Taiwan if they are available in the proper configurations.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reed523
    Any suggestions? I've tried to do some research but the choices are mind-boggling.
    Well....I wasn't going to ask but no one else did so here goes....Is there some reason for not wanting a bike light that is made in China ?? Okay, if we were talking Nuclear submarines, Aircraft carriers or beer then I suppose I could understand BUT A BIKE LIGHT? Not to mention one under $200..
    I've been living in the USA all my life. Probably a good percentage of what I own was made in China. A matter of fact most of what I own, wear or eat probably came from some other country...including the beer.

Not that I'm dissing my own country, I love it here and wish we were more economically independent. With that said, two of our Space shuttles have blown up. Our laser guided weaponry will on occasion miss the intended target. Some of our own passenger jet airliners have crashed due to some engineering failure. The point I'm trying to make is...$**t happens, here and in China.

If you can find a good bike light under $200 go ahead and buy it. If it works well then you win. It seems the first people to post up offered some pretty good choices. One last note: If you ride an aluminum frame there is about a 80% chance that it came from China, even if it has an American brand name on it.

www.hahntronix.com
    I think what the reed525 is looking for is a light design that doesn't cut corners. The assumption being that inexpensive electronics from China probably are lower quality than more expensive electronics made in the US, Japan, etc. In my experience that assumption is correct.

The MTBR Lights DIY forum (http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124) has had several threads on what's wrong with the M*g*c Sh*n*. Some US distributors claim they are getting the factory to "fix" the problems. And maybe they are for a while, but unless they open each one up before they ship it to a customer they'll never be sure all the fixes were done.

In my experience, working as an electrical engineering consultant for a company that had some circuit boards made by a couple of Chinese factories, the cheap factories will quote you a really low price and send you some really nice looking prototypes. Then when you order 200 boards they look like no quality control was done (parts placed on board backwards, wrong value parts used, etc.). If you complain, they just reply that quality control inspection costs extra. I'm sure there are factories in China that do produce nice boards. They probably aren't the cheapest ones. My client eventually went back to producing boards in the US. It wasn't worth all the hassle trying to get boards that worked from someone who just kept delivering junk. And the language barrier made for some very hard to decipher emails.

With regards to comments about US manufacturers having fabs in China. The quality control at these places has to be pretty good, or the US manufacturer will shut down the fab. Making chips is a lot more high-tech and requires an incredibly clean environment. You can do a pretty good job building electronics boards in your garage, I do

Things I'd look for in a LED light: low voltage detection (so you don't damage your batteries or wind up riding in the dark), thermal regulation (some way of making sure the LED doesn't get too hot), at least a couple of light levels. If it's not obvious from a manufacturer's web site their light supports these features, I'd email and ask.

Mark

PS: If I didn't know how to solder, I'd look at the Dinotte 400L for $195. No disrespect meant to Scar and Zen Bicycle (who have both gotten good reviews on these forums), but Dinotte has been around a bit longer and has also gotten pretty good comments on customer service. Plus the 400L offers the ability to change out lenses, which is pretty cool.
    Nimium est melior!

to pedal or not to pedal
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Well....I wasn't going to ask but no one else did so here goes....Is there some reason for not wanting a bike light that is made in China ?? Okay, if we were talking Nuclear submarines, Aircraft carriers or beer then I suppose I could understand BUT A BIKE LIGHT? Not to mention one under $200..
    I've been living in the USA all my life. Probably a good percentage of what I own was made in China. A matter of fact most of what I own, wear or eat probably came from some other country...including the beer.

Not that I'm dissing my own country, I love it here and wish we were more economically independent. With that said, two of our Space shuttles have blown up. Our laser guided weaponry will on occasion miss the intended target. Some of our own passenger jet airliners have crashed due to some engineering failure. The point I'm trying to make is...$**t happens, here and in China.

If you can find a good bike light under $200 go ahead and buy it. If it works well then you win. It seems the first people to post up offered some pretty good choices. One last note: If you ride an aluminum frame there is about a 80% chance that it came from China, even if it has an American brand name on it.
    Thanks for asking. I could go on all day about this but it's a nice day and time to ride. Here's the short version. I'll apologize on front end for my lack of eloquence.

-The straw that broke the camels back was me reaching into the freezer for some fish. We had 2 containers. Tilapia, caught in Canada, processed in China. 2nd container was catfish-product of China. Are you kidding me?? Shipping something as simple as fish 1/2 way around the world to "save" the Walmart shopper a few cents?

-Take a look at who owns most of this countries debt? I'll be the first to admit i don't know much about world economics, but if my banker calls me up and says "we are calling your note due", i'm obligated to pay it. What if China does same?

-For some reason, this whole countries' mindset seems to have replaced "best value" with "cheapest purchase price". I don't understand that on several levels. From an environmental point of view, how much crap goes in landfill every year because it fails and it's cheaper to replace than repair? How much fuel in used in a year shipping this stuff across the ocean? If you haven't noticed, we are not exactly on a sustainable path here...
    -When i say China, i mean China-not just "Asian". By the way, i have several Chinese friends just to let you know this is not a racist rant.

-My current fleet of bikes all purchase used includes 4 built in USA, 2 in Taiwan.

THis might not make any sense at all to you, but it's as clear as a bell to me. All i ask is that you give it some thought.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006

-The straw that broke the camels back was me reaching into the freezer for some fish. We had 2 containers. Tilapia, caught in Canada, processed in China. 2nd container was catfish-product of China. Are you kidding me?? Shipping something as simple as fish 1/2 way around the world to "save" the Walmart shopper a few cents?
    If you're really shopping at Walmart, then pointing the blame at China is like throwing rocks in a glasshouse. Or were you making an ironic comment that I managed to miss?

Anyway, thinking about global issues is a good thing to do. But surely it'd be better applied to more... frequently engaged... aspects of life than buying bike lights.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    This thread is on the edge of going down the drain. If we stick to the original posters question, there are a number of reasons why someone would want a light built in the US and people helping find that information is useful. Getting the thread locked... notsomuch.

-john

mtbr member

-Take a look at who owns most of this countries debt? I'll be the first to admit i don't know much about world economics, but if my banker calls me up and says "we are calling your note due", i'm obligated to pay it. What if China does same?
    I will keep my somewhat relevant point point short but figured I would add it since we are so far off the subject already. Assuming by note your talking about your mortgage, your banker won't (and can't in most cases) "call" your note. Nor would he for the same reason China won't. If you (or the US) gets notes of that size called they will be forced to file bankruptcy. The the Bank (or China) will be stuck holding a bunch of paper that is worthless. Just doesn't make sense for the Bank or China to do that.

Now, to make a post relevant to the topic and questions asked in the OP. I'm buying a light made in the US as I believe many companies (or most??) in China are so harmful to the environment that it is ridiculous. I'm no tree hugger, but the Chinesse government is allowing companies to dispose of chemicals that will kill us all if they are allowed to continue.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

to pedal or not to pedal
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    If you're really shopping at Walmart, then pointing the blame at China is like throwing rocks in a glasshouse. Or were you making an ironic comment that I managed to miss?

Anyway, thinking about global issues is a good thing to do. But surely it'd be better applied to more... frequently engaged... aspects of life than buying bike lights.
    Fair comment. I go in Walmart about twice a year...my wife-that's another story. Hopefully the fish incident enlightened her.

I've got more than enough light info to make my purchase and everyone's right, we've gotten waaay off topic. Let's shoot this thread in the head...Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccfoodog
    This thread is on the edge of going down the drain. If we stick to the original posters question, there are a number of reasons why someone would want a light built in the US and people helping find that information is useful. Getting the thread locked... notsomuch.

-john
    I'd go for the Magicshine at 80$.
    Say you spend 300 on a nice light from whoever in the US. They are going to take the $220 profit and spend it on a flat screen telly thats made in china. So you might as well cut out the middle man and send your money there directly.
    Or make your own.

www.hahntronix.com
    OK this thread is dead. Somebody busted a cap into its head.

But a quick reply to Znomit:

The US manufacturer doesn't make anywhere near $220 in profit. They sold the light to a distributor for $175, because the distributor agreed to buy 1000 lights. The distributor sold it to a local bike shop for $235, because they promised to buy 10. The bike shop sells it to their customers for $300. Everybody takes a cut along the way. That's pretty standard retail markup in the brick and mortar economy. If you only want to sell via the web you can cut the price a bit, but you will typically have lower volume of sales than a company that does both web and brick and mortar sales.

The manufacturer probably paid $100 for the raw parts, and they bought parts in quantities around 10,000.

The LEDs came from a reputable distributor and cost more at 10,000 piece pricing than you and I can buy a single one of the "same" LED from DX or KD. Why? Because DX and KD are buying up stuff that was seconds, leftovers from a failed Chinese business, or stuff that got swept up off some factory's floor.

The LiIon batteries probably cost around twice what we can buy them from DX or KD for, because the batteries didn't come out of a dumpster at the laptop battery manufacturing plant. Well DX and KD may sell "seconds" or slightly past pull date batteries, not ones from the dumpster.

The US manufacturer bought a UL approved charger, which costs more in quantity 10,000 than the single LiIon DX charger I bought that doesn't even have a f*cking fuse in it. That way when somebody's house burns down because the batteries caught fire the US based bike light manufacturer can say in court, "we bought an approved charger".

I'm comparing the prices the US manufacturer paid for parts to DX and KD prices because that's what you are probably thinking these parts cost if you buy them from a legit distributor. The company making cheap bike lights probably paid a bit less than the DX or KD pricing. And they are buying parts that don't meet US standards (for the most part).

So the US company maybe grossed $75 on the light they sold to a distributor. They had to pay for advertising, salaries (more than $2 per day per worker), stockholders dividends, taxes, hazardous waste disposal fees (instead of chucking bad batteries in the nearest river), and liability insurance out of that. They maybe netted $25 in real profit, if they were lucky. If they have a web store, they might make a bit more than that from an online sale.

Hey, go buy a light from China. What you get for $80 is worth way less than 1/4 the price of the $300 light, in terms of safety, reliability, and sustainable manufacturing. I'm not saying all electronics that come from China are crap, but if the price seems too good to be true, there's a reason.

Mark
    Nimium est melior!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    OK this thread is dead. Somebody busted a cap into its head.

But a quick reply to Znomit:
    Yeah, yours is a good reply to a stupid post in a stupid thread. Sorry I should have included a few smilies in mine

Ps, disregard anything I write as I'm using a computer assembled in CHINA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    The LEDs came from a reputable distributor and cost more at 10,000 piece pricing than you and I can buy a single one of the "same" LED from DX or KD. Why? Because DX and KD are buying up stuff that was seconds, leftovers from a failed Chinese business, or stuff that got swept up off some factory's floor.

The LiIon batteries probably cost around twice what we can buy them from DX or KD for, because the batteries didn't come out of a dumpster at the laptop battery manufacturing plant. Well DX and KD may sell "seconds" or slightly past pull date batteries, not ones from the dumpster....

. I'm not saying all electronics that come from China are crap, but if the price seems too good to be true, there's a reason.

Mark
    First, I didn't think I was opening up a can of worms when I posted my first comment but with that said "it is" and does have to do with bike lights. I'm not going to get into the political/eco discussion because if I did the thread would never die.

Mark, I'm not sure I can agree with what you said about D/X and K/D. I think the reason they sell stuff cheaper is because they pay their workers WAY less that what most factory workers would make here in the USA. I have no doubt that the quality control on some of their goods suffer. I'm not sure I agree with what you said about them buying LED's second or third hand. From what I've seen, DX seems to bring to market products that use the new cutting edge LED's faster than what I've seen anywhere else. As for the batteries....the Chinese made batteries might be of lesser quality than what you might get from US or Japan but that is only because they need time to play catch up. More and more I am seeing battery companies beginning to sell and use batteries made in China. I think this is because like me most people consider batteries disposable. As long as they work and run as expected and don't explode most people are happy. Over on CPF comparisons have been made using the Chinese made batteries and most have run times that are comparable to the more expensive cells. To sum up, quality control is an issue so occasionally some bad stuff is going to get through...not that it doesn't happen in other countries as well.

On a side note...Last night the light bulb on my computer stand went out. Turns out I ran out of low wattage light bulbs. So....I pulled out one of my P-7 D/X torches and have been using it on low to light up my ( black ) keyboard. The torch and Ultrafire battery have run for something like 5-6hrs and it's still running. Not bad for a Chinese made combo.

mtbr member
    $200 bike light , magic number !

first, there is a valid point, to this thread.

last year did go out, and tried to get a light, mean lighthead only for $200 bucks.
    that was even befor the nigterider 1200 / 600 came out.
    and could not find one with 500-600+ lumen.
    now even if you consider the niterider 600 ,..
    - it's over $200 for the head
    - they don't want to sell you the light head only
    - you have to order/ mailorder it
    - can't get the connector, and a $30 extension cable plus shipping is not what I had in mind.

even considered, the best, a lupine lighthead, what you can get,
    but the connector issue stopped me.
    bottom line, cut the cord, let people use their battery/charger.
    until then, don't think, it will be even close.

As Mark pointed out, it's not that easy, to do business in the usa,
    and if I create a light what is better than a Lupine light, it would not even be cheaper.
    They did a hell of a job.

Still want to think:
    - think green
    - think global, act local
    - buy local
    - reuse what you got, ( how many chargers, batteries do you need ?)

currently DIY, is left, what is still hard, too hard.
    I'll try to cut the cord, and glue it back together.
    ----
    DIY battery + light working on it

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    We're pretty far off topic, but a couple of thoughts.

Light & Motion and Dinotte sell "upgrade" units -- light engine only. I noticed this when I was shopping for my current light.

Dinotte and Baja Designs sells an extension cord for their lights which could probably be used to be cut in half and used as ends for DIY battery packs.

I ended up getting a Stryker, which I think is comparable in output to the L&M Seca 700 and for $300, buying the kit wasn't overly painful.

The Stryker extension cord is much beefier than the Dinotte.

I agree, using a proprietary connection is a pain, and not selling the connector (or extension which could be used as such) is a further pain.

Also, I agree that they should provide some sort of less painful upgrade path for people already invested in their lights.

Oh, I did notice some sort of upgrade thing (besides buying ala-cart) on Dinotte's site, not sure if it was competitive upgrade or what.

Heck, to get back on topic, the Dinotte stuff is even made in the US.

-john

Members who have read this thread: 0