Best light from DX under $40- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: louisssss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,146

    Best light from DX under $40

    I know the Cree p7 lights are the best at this price. But DX has so many to chose from, which is their best light for bight riding/camping?
    RH SL Pro

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: louisssss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,146
    Also, is the MS light from DX the exact same one as buying from geoman?
    RH SL Pro

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Reputation: Sanoske312's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    Also, is the MS light from DX the exact same one as buying from geoman?

    Hey louisss yes the ms light is the same as the one from Geoman. Geoman is priced slightly higher but well worth it cause of the faster shipping and his quality of service i bought one from him that managed to get destroyed partly my fault and he warranted it with no problems even shipped it back out before i sent mine in, I cant say enough about Geoman

    and as for "I know the Cree p7 lights are the best at this price. But DX has so many to chose from, which is their best light for bight riding/camping?" what are you trying to use it for so people can better help you if you plan on using it as a torch headlight while mountain biking i would highly suggest the UltraFire WF-501B which uses a Cree R2 led puts out enough light when used with the magicshine on the handle bars its what i run while at cunningham late at night.

    P.s the 501b is easily modded so it can be used with and external powerpack for longer life
    Haro Shift R7 RS Sid, Fox Float RL, XT/Lx Mix, 2x9 FSA Carbon Pro Team with BBG Bashguard
    Rockhopper Comp, IH Quantium 2

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    145
    Well my favourite light off there for the bars would have the be the MTE SF-15, mine has been brilliant over the past 6 months lasting 75 mins and giving a great beam pattern.

    You may need to be a bit more specific to as what you need.

    I use 1 of these on the bars with a Magicshine on my head and never feel the need for more light when doing XC, i add a 700 lumen MCE on the bars for DH at night and again never seem to outrun the light, doing 15-20 foot tabletops, step downs, and ladder drops etc.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: louisssss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,146
    I would like to buy that $40 flashlight to be the sole light on my bike. After finding that brightest flashlight I'm going to compare that to the ms to see whic is the best value
    RH SL Pro

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    52
    Good question to post. I decided to just buy a couple lights and see what happens. I wish there was some type of lookup chart for all of these P7 lights.

    I was pretty impressed by the MTE SF-23(sku 22569). It is much brighter than the Trustfire SSC P7-WC (sku 18694) that I got later, which doesn't throw light very far at all.

    I run these on my handlebars.
    "...there was a time, and that time was so long ago..."

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    288
    Got a light from Shining Beam. Fast (and cheap) shipping. Like 2 days from NY to So Cal fast.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    57
    This one is considered to be good :

    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: louisssss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,146
    I ended up getting an Aurora p7 light for $35 with the assault crown. Also got ultrafire 18650 batteries red color advertised at 2600mah. And also an ultrafire charger
    RH SL Pro

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: louisssss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,146
    RH SL Pro

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity123
    This one is considered to be good :

    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060
    I'll second that opinion. I bought one of these just before Christmas. It is my third P-7 torch. Currently it is my favorite. If I was to recommend another five-mode it might be the MTE SF-23, a five-mode D-Bin P-7 torch. Slightly larger than the sku12060 it is perhaps the brightest of all P-7's when working properly. My SF-23 had a problem with the emitter. One of the four emitter die does not light. Still considering this problem it still works and has the advantage of having true memory ( comes on at last mode used ). When it was new it was very bright. For a while D/X had these on back order. Looks like they are available again. I would get another one but my sku12060 is a solidly built torch and has a mid-mode that I find very nice. Unlike SF-23 it has performed without flaw. The only thing I don't like about sku12060 is that is doesn't have true memory. If you turn the torch off then on, the torch ALWAYS comes on in mid-mode regardless of last mode used. Since I prefer mid-mode most of the time anyway for me this not too much of a problem but I would still rather have true memory.

    I think either one of these torches would be an excellent "Stand alone" bar light or to supplement whatever bar light you currently run. Use a MS as a helmet light and your good to go. Link to SF-23 > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22569

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    I'll second that opinion. I bought one of these just before Christmas. It is my third P-7 torch. Currently it is my favorite. If I was to recommend another five-mode it might be the MTE SF-23, a five-mode D-Bin P-7 torch. Slightly larger than the sku12060 it is perhaps the brightest of all P-7's when working properly. My SF-23 had a problem with the emitter. One of the four emitter die does not light. Still considering this problem it still works and has the advantage of having true memory ( comes on at last mode used ). When it was new it was very bright. For a while D/X had these on back order. Looks like they are available again. I would get another one but my sku12060 is a solidly built torch and has a mid-mode that I find very nice. Unlike SF-23 it has performed without flaw. The only thing I don't like about sku12060 is that is doesn't have true memory. If you turn the torch off then on, the torch ALWAYS comes on in mid-mode regardless of last mode used. Since I prefer mid-mode most of the time anyway for me this not too much of a problem but I would still rather have true memory.

    I think either one of these torches would be an excellent "Stand alone" bar light or to supplement whatever bar light you currently run. Use a MS as a helmet light and your good to go. Link to SF-23 > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22569
    How long is the runtime?

    Dx claims 2.5h!!??
    That can't be true if the led is really driven with 2800mA!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    206
    I bought the http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15739 for handle bar and the http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14450 for helmet mount. My first lights for night riding but I find them to work great.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedog1
    How long is the runtime?

    Dx claims 2.5h!!??
    That can't be true if the led is really driven with 2800mA!
    Thats the thing about D/X, lots of misprints ( or erroneous ) claims on their website. I doubt that any of these are driven at 2800ma. Run time is generally around 45 to 50 min. on high before the light begins to become obviously dimmer. Then another 20-30 min. with diminished light levels. All this from one standard 18650 Trustfire 2500mAh cell. Mid-level will run much longer but I have yet to test it. Perhaps this is what they are referring to when they quote 2.5hrs.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 02-13-2010 at 03:23 AM.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,687
    I didn't take the time to read this whole thread so sorry if it's been mentioned...there is no "Cree" P7. The P7 is Seoul (SSC).

    IMO the MTE SSC P7 is a great light. I like the smaller head version. I think the 2-mode would be nice for over-all brightness, but the 5-mode is rumored to be better in regards to regulation of current giving consistant bright light over the life of the battery versus being really bright and dimming as the battery dies.

    I own the 5-mode and love it. It's not as bright as my MagicShine, but a dang impressive light for $32 shipped!

    I plan to order 2 more (2mode) and remove the body. I will run them off a 2P/2P battery pack so I don't over-current them. I'll try to make my own bracket that holds them very close together giving a huge hot-spot.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.