Best light at $200 or <- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Low Rep Count
    Reputation: 1SPD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,958

    Best light at $200 or <

    Ok, I currently have an old (4-5 years) Nite Rider Dual beam with the 10lb waterbottle batter pack. Aside from the weight penalty, I can't find my charger any frickn where! So, I have started looking for a new light. Yes, I know I could probably get another charger somehow but am tired of having that monster bottle on my bike which is one of the reasons I stopped using it to start with.

    None the less, this will be for some night riding on single track as the seasons change. Looking for something relatively light but want to be able to see as well. I have never riden with a light mounted on my helmet and am not sure how opinions go as far as that vs the standard on your bar style.

    Ideally, I am looking for something smaller in size, fairly light, and bright enough to see. Since my old set up is rather old, I can't even begin to remember what the lumens were for it. Not sure if something between 150-300 is acceptable at this point or not. Granted it is better than what I am riding right now mind you (nothing-not riding either).

    Here are a couple that I checked out real quick from the Perf site:

    Light & Motion Stella 150 SL
    Cygo lite ExpiliOn 250
    Cygo Lite Milion 200
    Niterider MiNewt 250
    Cat Eye HL-EL 450 LED (just a cheap option mind you)

    Keep in mind that I will probably only be getting out maybe 1-2 times a week to actually ride in the dark (probably get out when it is light but finish in the dark if you will).

    Ok, flame on, let me know what you guys think or any other ideas you might have. Definitely looking to stay close/under $200 and $250 is my maximum.

  2. #2
    Light freak
    Reputation: scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,977

    Psssst....






    ***

  3. #3
    Low Rep Count
    Reputation: 1SPD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,958
    Well DAMN! I will be contacting you soon!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    82

  5. #5
    Low Rep Count
    Reputation: 1SPD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,958
    ^^^Man, that would require hauling two of those larger batteries around with you. The price is not bad but I don't want to have to strap a battery to my bike again. I also don't want to have a light hooked up to my bike with the battery tethered to my Camelbak either. So far the Amoeba is getting the nod here. Gotta check out all the funds first but hopefully I can have this worked out in the next week or so.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Climber25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    135
    You could ditch the cables entirely and go with an Exposure Lights Joystick!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    988
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    ^^^Man, that would require hauling two of those larger batteries around with you. The price is not bad but I don't want to have to strap a battery to my bike again. I also don't want to have a light hooked up to my bike with the battery tethered to my Camelbak either. So far the Amoeba is getting the nod here. Gotta check out all the funds first but hopefully I can have this worked out in the next week or so.

    Not knocking the Amoeba, but you are comparing one light to two. Also, don't judge current batteries with the waterbottle battery that you are used to. They are much smaller and lighter. I'm not saying to avoid the Amoeba, but be aware of all of the information.

    Chris

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,106
    1SPD, the Magicshines are smaller in person that they appear in the photos (that goes for the light and the battery).
    You can get 2 of them for your budget. If you have a long stem, you can mount the battery under it, or anywhere on the frame.
    And the light on your helmet just gets the battery stuffed in your camelbak.

    2 lights are always better then one, regardless of what brand you choose. Always have a backup.

    I sure wouldn't want to ride by 150-250 lumens like the lights you mentioned. Two of the MS900's will give you about 1200 lumens realistically, and you'll be into both of them for under your $200 budget.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    One other option may be our trade in program. We have a Trade-Up program where we give you a $100 credit towards one of our 2011 700 Lumen/52 Lux Strykr light systems. They normally retail for $298.95 so $100 off would be $198.95 plus $10-$13 shipping.

    All you need to do is contact me at [email protected] and I will send you the Trade-Up form, you fill it out, send it back and we ship your new system within a day. When you get a chance box up your old NiteRider (I worked for NR for many years so I have a tender spot for them) and ship it to us the least expensive method possible, there is no rush. I will make sure to give your old system a proper and respectful burial.

    Just an option, and it would keep your costs around $200.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,655
    A great option already came up and that's to buy some of EL34's P7 Marwi conversions or an Amoeba. They are both fantastic units from what I've read here.

    I was also gonna say I bought a Stryker and it's $200 with the trade in program. I think it might literally be bulletproof
    "It looks flexy"

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon
    One other option may be our trade in program. We have a Trade-Up program where we give you a $100 credit towards one of our 2011 700 Lumen/52 Lux Strykr light systems. They normally retail for $298.95 so $100 off would be $198.95 plus $10-$13 shipping.

    All you need to do is contact me at [email protected] and I will send you the Trade-Up form, you fill it out, send it back and we ship your new system within a day. When you get a chance box up your old NiteRider (I worked for NR for many years so I have a tender spot for them) and ship it to us the least expensive method possible, there is no rush. I will make sure to give your old system a proper and respectful burial.

    Just an option, and it would keep your costs around $200.

    So the Baja Stryker is two lights?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    436
    And the Amoeba pictured above is $200?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,655
    Quote Originally Posted by newnan3
    So the Baja Stryker is two lights?
    Did you miss the part where it says "toward ONE"??
    "It looks flexy"

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Did you miss the part where it says "toward ONE"??

    Yeah I see where it says "one of our light systems"

    Which could mean more than one light.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    Hi Newnan3,

    The Strykr is a one light head system, the system does come with two different reflectors though, a wide angle (which is amazing) and a spot that throws light waaaaaaaay out there, that might be what confused you a bit.

    Hopefully that helps clear that up. Let me know if you have any other questions.

    Shannon

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.