Best Light for the $$$ period- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Best Light for the $$$ period

I know there are like 4 threads going on the Magicshine. But what else could you ask for?

This thread is for everyone that loves there Magicshine.

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    I'm wondering how anybody could justify buying anything other than Magicshine? I loved the L&M ARC but it has died and I trust it would cost more to fix than a new Magicshine or maybe a couple of new Magicshines. Looks like you could buy six or so Magicshines for a new SECA and they appear to put out the same amount of light. Am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by POG
    I'm wondering how anybody could justify buying anything other than Magicshine? Am I missing something?
    Thats what I am saying. Why are people spending hundreds on lighting?

I love the Magicshine.

mtbr member
    The Magicshine light gives the most light for the money, there's no doubt about that. But it is not perfect. I ended up modifying my two lights and now the result is good. I wonder how many of the Magicshine praisers actually has seen any of the new high quality lights from e.g. Lupine or LumiCycle in action. These expensive quality lights are better, with more brightness and a better light pattern.

Sep 2009
    Any difference in output I have seen is dwarfed by the difference in price. While the MS false advertises its light output (they appear to advertise a theoretical max output of the LED), its still w/o a doubt the most light you can get for the money, hands down.

Its the Corvette of bicycle lighting. Not the best ever invented, but performance that rivals that of competitors over twice its price.

viva la v-brakes!
    I will put in a vote for the MagicShine as best value, lumens per $.

However, if you look at build quality, potential durability, and customer service, I think MS may not stand up as "best". Dinotte has been great with customer service (as I am sure other major brands are), I doubt this no-name Chinese manufacturer would do anything for you outside of the 90 day Warranty period. So a brand name light will be more durable, last much longer with better parts, better build and better service.

On the other hand, with the rapid pace that light technology is progressing right now, is it worth it to invest in durability? I mean, the P7 emmitter came out and made everything else obsolete. I have no doubt that this sort of think will happen repeatedly over the next 5-10 years. Why invest hundreds on high-quality, high-end lights that will be obsolete so quickly? I feel its a wiser investment to buy a bright but cheap light like the MagicShine. Even if you have to replace it on a yearly basis, you will get a newer, better light each time.

I'll invest $$$ in a high-end light when this technological leapfrogging slows down.
    Last edited by FishMan473; 09-28-2009 at 01:13 PM.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Trail LED.. For reasonable $$, I got a great custom made light,

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I haven't used the light, but from everything that I've read it appears to have a very floody beam. For any sort of speed you need more of a spot. So from that perspective, it's not a good deal at any price if it doesn't do what you need it to do. If you need a flood, I'd agree that it is a great deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cino
    I haven't used the light, but from everything that I've read it appears to have a very floody beam. For any sort of speed you need more of a spot. So from that perspective, it's not a good deal at any price if it doesn't do what you need it to do. If you need a flood, I'd agree that it is a great deal.
    In my opinion the MagicShine has as rather spotty beam, that is probably quite good for easy and fast trails. I ended up modifying mine to get a more floody beam. The resulting beam can be found in the MagicShine beamshot thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cino
    Cino, I own one and can tell you that although it has a great deal of side "spill", it also has a nice spot that throws quite far.
    I wouldn't call it a true "flood" light. There's a difference in a flood light and a spot light with lots of spill. The MS is the latter.
    The problem is that people interchange those words a lot and that causes confusion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider
    The Magicshine light gives the most light for the money, there's no doubt about that. But it is not perfect. I ended up modifying my two lights and now the result is good. I wonder how many of the Magicshine praisers actually has seen any of the new high quality lights from e.g. Lupine or LumiCycle in action. These expensive quality lights are better, with more brightness and a better light pattern.
    I totally agree with what you are saying here... BUT you are not comparing "apples to apples". DUDE... the Magicshine is CHEAP compared to these lights you mention. If YOU have the cash to buy the better more expensive lights then thats what YOU should do. Don't waste your time on here comparing the 2 though. Its like beating a dead horse. You sure as heck would expect them to be better. But there price is what... 2,3,4 times the price of a Magicshine?

For me personally I am on a limited budget and after my Niterider shot craps I bought a Magicshine and even if it went out in a year or two I would say it was WELL worth the price!

Guys are too bent up over stuff. They over think it and spend too much time talking. I just get out and ride... thats my real passion... not being on here critiquing every little thing.

BOTTOMLINE- if you need a good BRIGHT light for night riding then buy the Magicshine. If you have unlimited resources (cash) then buy something else. They have INCREDIBLE lights (over 1000 lumens) that you can buy. Of course as much as a new bike!

Members who have read this thread: 0