Best helmet options these days?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best helmet options these days?

Seems like there are way too many choices (which is great!) but also frustrating when you want to actually buy something. I currently have 2 Dinotte XML3s which are working well but I have the itch to try something new on my helmet. Would probably put both of my existing lights on the bars in that case.

I'm particularly interested in something wireless, looking to keep it under $100. Local trails are rocky/rooty (typical NE stuff).

The gemini xera looks interesting, but will that be enough light on the trails?

This solarforce torch looks interesting as well and I'm pretty sure I have a few compatible batteries/chargers from some torches I bought a few years back.

Any other suggestions/input it welcome. I've been reading through some threads but it's hard to follow along at this point because there are so many different products/emitters etc. being discussed.
    Negative rep, please.

RAKC
    Some people like flashlights for helmet use. What works for some doesn't work well for others. Personally I like something small and dual emitter. One for the increased light, other is use of battery packs so I have plenty of run time instead of charging every ride.

If I was looking at Gemini, itd be the duo. But im strict on tint, wont buy or make a light that uses cool white emitters. Depends on the person obviously for tint choice though.

Biggest thing is you kind of have to determine it. Things like out in the desert/mountains where you have a long line of site and speeds running the top end of your gearing down single track then that light wont cut it. If you ride tight, twisty, wooded single track like I do, then it would do fine.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I'm definitely looking for something small and lighweight. The XML3 is fairly small and light, I'm just wondering if I can do better these days?

I hate the "bluish" look of warm light. Maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges but all of my indoor LEDs are 2700. Not really sure how this compares to light on the trails, though my dinottes are certainly warmer than that. I need to see if I can find a number on them somewhere.
    Negative rep, please.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I know there are some riders really liking the (neutral white)or warm tint emitter lights already mentioned on several threads. I think their in the 4000-5000K. The new Gemini products are using the XML-2-U4 emitters, same as the Lupines I believe. I think they may be closer to 6000K color rendition so for some may be to white of a light. My Lupines are older and are using XM-L U2 emitters and I do not find them cold in their color rendition,, but I have never tried a warm tint before at least nothing below the K that I mentioned. I don't think I would want a yellow tinted light, but soft white yes!!

The blue tint you mentioned would not be from a warm led. Those are from higher up on the K chart. My old XPG-R5 leds were quite white with a bit of blue. The older P-4 emitters I had on my original Cygolite was very blue. The warmer the tint the more yellow will be present.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Also I don't think any new 1500 lumen duel led helmet light is going to out perform your XML3's if their the new version as their already 1500 lumens and already a nice light. Maybe a bit different beam pattern, but as I haven't used the XML3 I'm just guessing. The wireless remote though would be a bonus and if important to you worth the $149 investment for the Duo while the Xera although nice and small will fall short of your XML3 in performance.

Just Ride !
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Also I don't think any new 1500 lumen duel led helmet light is going to out perform your XML3's if their the new version as their already 1500 lumens and already a nice light. Maybe a bit different beam pattern, but as I haven't used the XML3 I'm just guessing. The wireless remote though would be a bonus and if important to you worth the $149 investment for the Duo while the Xera although nice and small will fall short of your XML3 in performance.
    I like my Duo , but the Glowworm X2 would a nice choice .
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky. :cornut:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    They're the older XML-3s so I think they're 1200 lumens? Regardless, I like them and would definitely want similar performance. Maybe something a little more focused for use on the road also would also be a good idea. The XML-3s are not focused at all.
    Negative rep, please.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Being the older version XML-3's you would probably see a minor improvement in output as well as a bit more focused beam with a duel emitter set up. Other than the NiteFighter's version,, which sounds like a real crapshoot on when you would even get possession of one right now,, the next best deal I see for good quality and wireless remote is the Gemini Duo. I know it's a bit above your budget but I think it may give you what your looking for. If you had a bigger budget the X2 from Gloworm is probably the top performer with the ability to change their optics to shape the beam to your preference. But way over your budget.

The Xera at least the old version also had different optics to shape the beam, not sure about this new one. I do think with the Xera you will get at least the same range as your XML-3 probably more range if in fact the XML-3 is as floody as you have described. But it will be much more focused thus not covering as much width of terrain.

mtbr member
    I use the Zebralight H600 Mk II on my helmet and love it. It takes one 18650 and is very light, 40g. On high, it'll last a couple of hours, which is all I need. I also bring a spare 18650. The tint is neutral.