Best cordless light for the money?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Best cordless light for the money?

Been using a pair of Cree China lights (1 bar mount, 1 helmet) with good luck but burned one light out doing a run time test the other day. Rode with a friend that had a pair of bar mounted cordless Bontragers (unsure of model) the other night and was surprised at how nice the beam pattern and brightness was.

Was looking for something I can strap to my helmet without worrying about a cord and battery pack. Any help is appreciated!

mtbr member
    Here's a link to a review done by Francis of the Bontrager 700 which is the light your friend most likely had. Review: Bontrager Ion 700 - Mtbr.com It seems decent as long as you don't need super bright output or long run times, but seems like it would be better for a road bike application.

There are a bunch of other options for self contained bike lights from different manufacturers such as Niterider, Cygolite, Serfas, light and motion, Fenix, etc. You just have to start searching through them until you find one that meets your needs. You are going to have to pay attention to weight of these lights as you research them. Anything over 150 grams total will feel heavy on the helmet and I like to keep it under 125 grams. Unless you go with a setup that has the light head at the front of the helmet and a small battery pack mounted separately on the rear of your helmet. It's not self contained, but it is still all contained on the helmet and weight is dispersed more evenly. Something like a Lupine piko with a 2 cell pack for example.

mtbr member
    I have been happy with my niterider lumina 650 but I'm sure there's better options these days. I would flip through the mtbr lights shootout, maybe look at the models from leyzne that have easily replaceable spare batteries to extend your ride. Remember that the freedom of no wire to the helmet is nice but the self contained units are always going to be heavier than just a light head.

mtbr member
    are there any cheap chinese lights? seems like they only make ones with external batteries.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

RAKC
    Im yet to see any decent chinese versions of any of this yet. Not surprising when a simple sinlge cell 18650 flashlight is the exact same thing but you can actually change the cells. Not have your riding for the night be done when battery inside goes dead.

I have a bigger dual emitter fenix I use on my commuter but thats more for the USB charging than being self contained. I can charge it at work when/if needed.

That said, nightrider luminas are really popular around here too, though I think after out last massive group ride I have started to corrupt people to come over to neutral tint lights (instead of cool white) and out performing nightrider lights is actually cheaper and easier than people realize But they require you to carry a battery pack

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks guys, I had not thought about the weight of one of those on the helmet

EAT MORE GRIME
    zebralight h600w mark II
    and carry a spare 18650

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    zebralight h600w mark II
    and carry a spare 18650
    Exactly what I have. Neutral white is great for trail riding. 84g. with 18650 -- I don't even realize it's on my helmet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Im yet to see any decent chinese versions of any of this yet. Not surprising when a simple sinlge cell 18650 flashlight is the exact same thing but you can actually change the cells. Not have your riding for the night be done when battery inside goes dead.

I have a bigger dual emitter fenix I use on my commuter but thats more for the USB charging than being self contained. I can charge it at work when/if needed.

That said, nightrider luminas are really popular around here too, though I think after out last massive group ride I have started to corrupt people to come over to neutral tint lights (instead of cool white) and out performing nightrider lights is actually cheaper and easier than people realize But they require you to carry a battery pack
    whats a good flashlight then for riding? something on amazon would be ideal and under $30 and what mount do people use for a helmet?

mtbr member
    If you go with a flashlight on the helmet, you can't beat the Zebralight. Very light weight and packs a punch and reliable. Unfortunately you aren't going to find one for under $30. The only $30 flashlight I came up with that looks decent is this neutral white Thrunite ThruNite Neutron 2C which seems like a good deal for what you get. It runs on 18650 or Cr123 batteries. Amazon.com - ThruNite Neutron2C v2 NW Handheld LED Flashlight Max 1040 Lumen with Extension Tube Run, Neutral White - Most people will just use some Velcro straps to secure it to their helmet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    for $15, you could try a Convoy S2+:

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10002364/1840101

just make sure to select the 2800mA model and choose your fav tint.

Of course you still need to buy at least 1 18650 battery (2 would be better) and a charger.

It should be a decent and inexpensive light for the helmet. I use 2 strips of velcro to secure it to the helmet. Best if your helmet has a top center vent so that the light is somewhat balanced and easy to adjust beam angle if nec. Fairly floody wide beam, no intense hot spot. I've only tried it on the bar once. While the output is ok, it may rattle to an early demise on the bar for trail riding.

If you buy from here:

Flashlights

you could ask if the driver could be potted so that it doesn't rattle to death. Also ask about 7135*8 instead of 7135*6.

Worse case, you have a pretty nice flashlight for flashlight use :-).

FWIW, I use various 1x18650 flashlights, stock and modded, on bar and helmet.

this is a nice bar mount (rec'ed here, I use 2):

Fenix ALB-10 Bike Flashlight Mount AF02 Upgrade Type - US$14.19

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I am going to be "that guy" and not give you the answer you actually wanted, but...
    Gemini-lights make two great lights that mount to the helmet and it you buy the two cell battery pack, the battery and the light can mount to the helmet and it is a great setup.
    These lights are the
    XERA around 900lumens (claimed)
    DUO around 1500 (claimed.)
    I have used both lights. The XERA on a two cell will give you a good honest 2hrs burn time
    the DUO is hungrier and at 100% last closer to 1hr20min.
    you would have about a 9 inch cord, that I just weave though the helmet vents.
    Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

USB lights with Built In Battery: Niterider Lumina 750 & Bontrager Ion

I own and use both of the integrated USB lights below.

I have a drawer full of MagicShine and other lights that i don't use any more due to the convenience of the USB charging & integrated battery.

Bontrager ION 700 R $119.99 list (had a coupon at my lbs, paid $80)

NiteRider Lumina 750 $99.99

The Lumina light will slide off the mount making it easy to convert to a flashlight or to charge.

The Ion mount is permanently attached to the light and seems to shake a bit more when riding. The Ion does not offer a optional helmet mount like the Lumina does.

The USB charging port allows me to use the same chargers that i use for my iPhones and Garmin. No more hunting down a specific wall wart.

I can also charge the lights with a portable battery like this one for $21.99 from Anker on Amazon.

NiteRider has more optional accessories like a helmet mount available than they Ion.

If I had to buy another light, it would be the Niterider Lumina 750 or one of the similar Niterider Lumina variants.

Name:  Asset_295457.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  7.7 KB

Best cordless light for the money?-niterider_lumina_750.jpg

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    pretty happy with this, kit comes with everything you need, nice quality

Bikeman Lezyne Power Drive 900XL, 900 Lumen USB Rechargable Headlight Loaded Kit: Black
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mappable View Post
    I own and use both of the integrated USB lights below.

I have a drawer full of MagicShine and other lights that i don't use any more due to the convenience of the USB charging & integrated battery.

Bontrager ION 700 R $119.99 list (had a coupon at my lbs, paid $80)

The Lumina light will slide off the mount making it easy to convert to a flashlight or to charge.

The Ion mount is permanently attached to the light and seems to shake a bit more when riding. The Ion does not offer a optional helmet mount like the Lumina does.

The USB charging port allows me to use the same chargers that i use for my iPhones and Garmin. No more hunting down a specific wall wart.

I can also charge the lights with a portable battery like this one for $21.99 from Anker on Amazon.

NiteRider has more optional accessories like a helmet mount available than they Ion.

If I had to buy another light, it would be the Niterider Lumina 750 or one of the similar Niterider Lumina variants.

Name:  Asset_295457.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  7.7 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	niterider_lumina_750.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	238.6 KB 
ID:	1024004
    NiteRider lumina 750 has been an incredible investment of $75 /from nashbar. Helmet mount mtb, handlebar road light or Halloween flashlight have all been awesome!

mtbr member
    Ditto on the magicshine drawer.... I have Gloworms but have been super impressed by the Lumina, cheaper @ Amazon.com : NiteRider Lumina 750

Quote Originally Posted by mappable View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	niterider_lumina_750.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	238.6 KB 
ID:	1024004

Action LED Lights
    The new Gloworm CX coming real soon.

Name:  12366206_1069265809764780_1735432601601035831_n.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  50.4 KB

900 or 1300 lumens (two models) $135 or $179
    2 hour runtime.
    USB rechargeable and can act as a USB power bank to charge your phone or Garmin (even while running the light)
    Garmin style handlebar mount or GoPro QR compatible helmet mount.
    Programable modes.
    Optional remote switch
    200g (7oz)
    What's not to like?
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    The new Gloworm CX coming real soon.

900 or 1300 lumens (two models) $135 or $179
    2 hour runtime.
    USB rechargeable and can act as a USB power bank to charge your phone or Garmin (even while running the light)
    Garmin style handlebar mount or GoPro QR compatible helmet mount.
    Programable modes.
    Optional remote switch
    200g (7oz)
    What's not to like?
    Now these lights look real nice. Any shots of the GoPro QR or Garmin mount on the bottom side? Any shots of the USB ports (Guessing full size USB and a micro port) and their respective covers?
    Battery, does the light contain an 18650 cell or two? Or is the battery pack proprietary? Do you have any shots of this light mounted on a helmet?

I see some brands don't advertise a replaceable battery, but in the end its just an 18650 battery. Which is nice because if the battery fail I can easily upgrade it, or if I want more run time I can upgrade it.

mtbr member
    I really like my Cyclebeam 930 that I mount to my helmet using the included mount.

Amazon.com : Top Brightness: 930 Lumen Bike Light with Cree XM-L2 LED, Li-ion Battery and Charging Kit Included : Sports & Outdoors
    Name:  41NCdR8-yuL._SL150_.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  4.5 KB

Buy a couple spare batteries as well and you're good for hours and hours. I ride with mine on medium power and get about 2 hours per battery. High power gets you about 1 hour run time.

Amazon.com : CycleBeam(TM) Bike Light Replacement Battery CB37261 : Sports & Outdoors

RAKC
    Dont need to buy their batteries, its nothing more than 18650 cells.

mtbr member
    I thought the same originally and the first replacement battery I bought was a 18650 house-brand from Batteries Plus. It didn't work, slightly different shape battery and different positive terminal. The Cyclebeam one has no nipple. If I recall it didn't even fit properly in the light. So I recommend sticking with the Cyclebeam ones.

RAKC
    Its just flat top 18650, there's 2 types of ends, button top and regular flat. Just have to match the ends. So any normal flat top 18650 cell will work, just doesn't fit buttons tops.