Best Amazon- Mtbr.com

Thread: Best Amazon

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Best Amazon

Hello everyone,

First off, I must admit I don't know anything about lights. I have been browsing some of these threads but still am struggling to understand what I need which is a light setup that I can use on the occasional night ride with friends. These friends all go quite fast through techy single track. People have recommended one helmet light and one handle bars light. Ideally, I would like to get my lights off amazon as I have free two day shipping and there is a ride I want to go on early next week. Lot's of people here seem to like the MagicShine lights. What's the best combo (see link below)? I notice that on amazon there are lots of lights that look identical to the MagicShine lights but much cheaper. What are people take on these look alike magicshine lights (see link below)?

Find a few that I am looking at below:

Magicshine lights: Amazon.com: magicshine - Prime Eligible

Nonmagic shine:
    Amazon.com: 4 Mode 1200 Lumen CREE XML T6 Bulb LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Lamp Flashlight Light Headlamp: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: New SSC-P7 3 Mode 1200 Lumen Cree LED Bike Light Set: Sports & Outdoors

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I own a Magicshine 808e and a T6 so I can tell you exactly the difference. The 808E has more of a flood pattern and battery is in a plastic case. T6 is has a huge spot in the middle, the battery is 4 heat shrinked cells with cardboard ends, and the Amazon recommended diffuser doesn't do a terrific job making it flood. That being said, they are both bright enough and you can get 2 of the t6 for what one magic shine costs.....and that is probably what I would do if the budget is a concern. One of the helmet and one for the bars. The T6 comes with a head strap. I just zip tied it to my helmet. The lights themself are about the same quality. The reflective cone in the magic shine looks like an orange peel where the one in the T6 is smooth so that is where the different beam pattern come from. The LED and circuits are the same....from what can tell. Batteries are perishable, so sooner or later you can upgrade them when they take a dive. If an extra cnote is not an issue, the magic shine is a better light package...but the T6 is an outstanding value.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have one of the $40 "non magicshine" lights and am very happy with it. I also have a magicshine, and they're so similar, it's really no point in spending the extra for the MS.
    If I needed another, I'd happily go with the $40 one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Also, I recommend, keeping both of your lights the same so the output is the same temperature and color. That is really nice.

mtbr member
    I have one of the T6 I bought off eBay and for the price, it's awesome. It does have a spot, but still more than enough light. It's really, really bright. Great for my night ride home from work mounted on the bars. I used it alone in a race mounted to my helmet, and it performed beautifully!

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by o3zone View Post
    Hello everyone,

First off, I must admit I don't know anything about lights. I have been browsing some of these threads but still am struggling to understand what I need which is a light setup that I can use on the occasional night ride with friends. These friends all go quite fast through techy single track. People have recommended one helmet light and one handle bars light. Ideally, I would like to get my lights off amazon as I have free two day shipping and there is a ride I want to go on early next week. Lot's of people here seem to like the MagicShine lights. What's the best combo (see link below)? I notice that on amazon there are lots of lights that look identical to the MagicShine lights but much cheaper. What are people take on these look alike magicshine lights (see link below)?

Find a few that I am looking at below:

Magicshine lights: Amazon.com: magicshine - Prime Eligible

Nonmagic shine:
    Amazon.com: 4 Mode 1200 Lumen CREE XML T6 Bulb LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Lamp Flashlight Light Headlamp: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: New SSC-P7 3 Mode 1200 Lumen Cree LED Bike Light Set: Sports & Outdoors

Thanks
    Yep, you can buy something like this and it will likely work. The battery is probably not the best of quality but at that price I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker. At least the one you linked to is a 4 mode that includes a medium mode which is a plus. With the smooth reflector it will have a narrow beam pattern. For bar use you can either buy an OP reflector from Action LED , a wide angle lens or both for a wider beam pattern for the bars.

With all this said what guarantee are you getting from the Amazon vendor? What if your light stops working and the vendor is sold out of the product? I think it better to buy from one of the vendors that support MTBreview with their ads. You might spend a little more but the added support and warranties you get should be worth the extra bucks in the long run....my two cents.

Members who have read this thread: 0