Beginner Trail Riding Night Light- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Beginner Trail Riding Night Light

I am a beginner to trail riding. I just found some good trails near my house and have been having a blast riding. Now it been getting dark closer and closer to the time I get home. I've looked over the bike light review page 2015 Bike Lights Shootout - Mtbr.com , but those are all out of my price range for what I want. I looked over the Chinese thread http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...946724.htmland didn't see these listed.

Anyone have any experience with these two I found on Amazon.

u-Box Super Bright 900 Lumen Cree XM-L2 U2 Bike Headlight with Angel Eye
    u-Box Waterproof Cree 7 x T6 LED Bicycle Light

Also some mentioned these two:
    SecurityIng Waterproof 2800 Lumens XM-L U2
    Outdoor Waterproof 1600LM CREE XM-L T6 LED Headlamp

Either option better or worse?

I understand I can order from other sites and get stuff cheaper, but I'd like to have it sooner.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Any of those lights would be fine for a beginner. Though the lumen claims are false, they are still plenty bright. The only downside is that these cheap lights are cheap mainly by giving you a really crappy battery and charger. These cheap batteries don't last long (maybe a season in my experience). Also some of these cheap Chinese batteries have been known to catch fire while charging, so don't charge them if you're not home.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    If you want a quality light that'll last, nashbar is doing 25% off their lights. I'd grab one of the nightrider 750's (about $75 after discount). USB charged, lithion ion battery, light weight, self contained (no external battery pack), good quality. I'm seriously contemplating getting one.

I bought some of those cheap LED lights a couple years ago, and lately I've had problems with the light on my handlebar just turning off randomy when I go over rocks/logs. Don't know if it's a wear & tear thing, but it's dangerous and really annoying. Luckily, I also have a light on my helmet. Moral of the story, always have 2 lights.

I like turtles
    What is your budget? You can pick up a high quality light for ~$60 from gearbest. NiteFighter BT21.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If your serious about night riding, get something decent. And yes, always have a backup. I run two Niteriders, and usually still carry a cheapo headlamp.

RAKC
    The issue is there is only a few Chinese lights that are worth it as mainly the batteries are usually crap.

Dont get the 7xt6 one for sure. The other 2 aren't very good but they work at least.

Nitefighter/Revtronic is best "bang for buck" lights out right now. Personally Im not a fan of nightrider. Nothing more than a flashlight. And at least you can change batteries in a flashlight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    If you want a quality light that'll last, nashbar is doing 25% off their lights. I'd grab one of the nightrider 750's (about $75 after discount). USB charged, lithion ion battery, light weight, self contained (no external battery pack), good quality. I'm seriously contemplating getting one.

I bought some of those cheap LED lights a couple years ago, and lately I've had problems with the light on my handlebar just turning off randomy when I go over rocks/logs. Don't know if it's a wear & tear thing, but it's dangerous and really annoying. Luckily, I also have a light on my helmet. Moral of the story, always have 2 lights.
    If you start to have a problem with a cheap Chinese lamp I don't see why anyone would continue to use it. If you can isolate the problem and fix it fine but if not, these things are inexpensive enough to replace without too much drama.

Nothing wrong with using a Niterider 750 other than it probably won't have a really long run time. Just keep in mind you can buy a $30 LED torch and bar mount, buy as many 18650 cells as you want along with a good charger and you have basically the same thing.

My opinion though is that it just makes more sense to use a dedicated bike light for the bars. For the price and what you usually get it just makes more sense. One with multiple emitters for a wider beam pattern is best. Buy a good quality 4-cell battery / charger and you should be good for quite a while.