Beginner needs guidance- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Beginner needs guidance

Hey guys

I'm not new to flashlights but I am to bike lights. I'm a member on candlepowerforums but their bike lights is very limited so I came back here. I've been reading countless reviews on bike lights on the shootout reviews etc. I can't determine what ones fit my needs and what are geared to others. It's something often missed or not specified. I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction. I ride the road and beginner trails. I should say this is one bike so I'd need a light that can handle all. I'm looking for something running 18650 cells or open to a self contained unit. I have a few cells and a quality charger. I want a quality light I can rely on. I don't want to find myself a long way from home with a broken light. I'm willing to spend $200cdn. The only bike light maker I've heard of is Fenix, I've been looking at the BC30 and a few others but haven't pulled the trigger.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Get two lights, second can be minimal. But if your going to be out on trail in the dark, have a backup. You can get away with single good light, esp easy trail and road. 700 lumens would be more than adequate. I run an old Niterider Trinewt on handlebar and newer Lumina 750 on helmet, and carry a little LED headstrap light as backup. I've used all of them at one time or another.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    There are better choices out there than Fenix. The BC 30 for example advertises 1800 lumens which is a bit of a joke as that light can only obtain this if you keep the remote button pressed constantly, so this is a useless feature for trail riding IMO and really serves no purpose on the road either unless you really need to get some ones attention for a moment. The actual usable output of this light is 800 lumens,,,, less than half the advertised.

IMO a much better version of the BC30 is the Ituo Wiz20. Very good reviews and much better use of the advertised lumens. Takes 18650cells which are on the fly replaceable, and well below your budget.

There are other options too, but for a self contained twin emitter light this is a very good start, and you will have money left over for a second light. If you ride with just one,,, bad things could happen so use two.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'd carry spare cells so if one went low or died I'd replace it on longer rides. The BS30 is is 1200 turbo and 500 high 1600 being a burst mode. A useful feature on roads to get cars attention being someone who drives in cities there is a lot of light from cars, road reflections, store signs, etc. If you're a small object you need something to stand out to say "HEY I"M HERE" and a quick burst of super high power would do that especially when crossing other roads where someone turning might not see you.

I will look into the light you suggested thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sorry,,,,, usually rush my posts as I always have trouble on this website not responding. I was thinking of the BC30R which is 1600 lumens on burst and 800 on high. And yes I agree the burst feature only makes sense to me on city streets where you really need to get some ones attention, serves no purpose on the trails though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    On trails yes because it's short burst yes no use but for someone riding streets even to and from the trail it could be useful. We all now how bright car lights are getting not between projection lights and HIDs it's hard to compete and get attention you damn near almost a pocket high powered light you can grab and aim and cars on purpose.

Trail wise though I'm checking out the wiz20 I sent the manufacturer an email as I want to know if it accepts protected cells. Some lights don't.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Carry a second light, even if it's super minimal. Spare batteries are good, but be prepared. Light could burn out, short, flood with water, get smashed on rocks. Or you come across a cute girl riding on trail who's light failed, yeah right. More likely someone in your groups light failed. Lending backup will save the day(night).
    For road I've come to the conclusion that you can have aircraft landing lights and it won't help with idiots. It's not that they don't see you, it's that they don't want to see you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    LOL you are right I've nearly been run over 3 times on foot in broad day light. Once was a car running a red, another a city bus running a red and another a box truck turning left.

I have back up or other lights. I'm merely looking for a new primary. I do plan on ordering a 900 lumen light soon anyway so be a good light to keep on my back pack chest for an emergency. I'm sure a 900 lumen strobe to the face would get there attention if I aimed it at them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazer295 View Post
    Trail wise though I'm checking out the wiz20 I sent the manufacturer an email as I want to know if it accepts protected cells. Some lights don't.
    This light comes with protected Panasonics. I've been "super happy" with mine so far. Product quality/performance appears to be very high.
    You should check out the Wiz20 thread - Lots of good information.
    Mole

Beginner needs guidance-001.jpg

mtbr member
    @trailblazer295 ; Another light you might consider since you seem to want something that can be useful on the road as well, the Gemini Duo ( 2016 ).

The Gemini Duo is a two emitter lamp and should put out about ~1500 lumen on high. The 2016 version includes a very nice "wireless" remote switch. This mean if you wish you can mount to your helmet and never have to take your hands off the handlebars to change modes.

The wireless remote also has features you might like. There are two buttons on the switch. One will turn the light on/off, change modes and switch to slow flash if held down. The other button allows the user "momentary burst". Hold for burst, release and it returns to the last mode used.

What battery you use is up to you. The lamp is sold with either a 2 or 4 cell battery. I like the two cell because it is lite enough to be mounted on the helmet but the lamp itself can be mounted either helmet or on the bars. If you mount the lamp on the bars you can mount the battery on either the top or down tubes or on the stem if you have a 2-cell.

Anyway, you seem to want something that would be a self-contained ( batteries wise ) lamp. The Wiz20 then would be an excellent choice....However, Gloworm too has a nice 2-cell self-contained lamp call the CX ( Urban or Trail versions ). This lamp also includes a "wired" remote. Like the Wiz20 the batteries can be changed on the fly if needed although it cost more than the Wiz20. Once again, not trying to sell you a lamp just giving you some options. Both the Gemini Duo and the Gloworm CX are programmable so you can set the modes to any output level you want.

( ** Note, I am reviewing the Gemini Duo at moment and have received the Duo lamp from Gemini for review purposes. While I don't own a CX I own other Gloworm lamps and absolutely love them ).

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Well being familiar with flashlights is an advantage when looking for the right bike light. If you are happy with cool white emitters or a more neutral tint, you can choose what works for your eyes. The right ui and your good to go. Happy shopping there's a vast array of awesome bike lights out there. And there's a ton of great info on this forum! BTW: nice setup mole!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It doesn't have to be sell contained unit, just runs on 18650 cells even if that's mounted on the stem. I'll check out those other lights.