Beginner Light setup advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Beginner Light setup advice

I have been mountain bike riding for the last year and want to extend my hours, and possibly do some night riding. I read some of the forum threads, and wanted some advice if I am going the right direction. I would be looking for something good, but doesn't need to be top end. (Best bang for the buck )

I am thinking about getting the combo of:

Nigthfighter BT21 for my helmet, and Nghtfighter BT40s for the bike.

Would I be better off getting a helmet light that had the battery contained within to save weight?

Is gearbest.com a reputable place to shop?

An input would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Looks like you going in the right direction. Thanx to several experienced members here that have taken the time to do thorough reviews on those very products, they seem like a good product for the $$s. Just confirm your getting decent battery's when ordering.

As for helmet light it's subjective,,,,,,,,,,Are your rides long?? If so I personally would go an external battery as you would get more output and run time,, if you don't mind putting your battery in your camel pack or jacket/jersey pocket there would be less weight on your lid than any self contained set up. If shorter rides 1.5/2 hours there are many good self contained lights out there some with the option to replace your battery on the go. Just check out MTBR light shootout.

Sorry no experience dealing with Gearbest.

mtbr member
    I zipstripped my battery to my helmet (dedicated night riding helmet), and I can really tell the difference with that helmet. it's a good pound or two heaveir. It fits well, so it doesn't move around and the light and battery stay where I put them. Lots of bouncing does get annoying though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thanks!

RAKC
    There's a lot of threads on this, especially the bt40s/bt21 combo. Good set up.

Yes we deal with gearbest alot, many of us order from them fairly often. Usually good to at least pay for tracking if not paying for faster shipping

I like turtles
    I think you want the lightest possible light on your lid so keeping the battery separate in your jersey pocket or hydration pack is my preference.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    My preference for a helmet light is to make it self contained, I don't like dealing with the cord. I carry a spare battery in my pack and make sure I've always got the back up. I get about 2 hours of run time from a full battery from my helmet light which I run on medium power. It does add some weight to the helmet and you'll feel it in your neck after your first few rides. But your neck gets stronger and adapts to where that isn't an issue anymore. The single 18650 battery in this light makes it much lighter than a 4xbattery external pack+light.
    http://www.amazon.com/Top-Brightness...clebeam+930z-1

For the bar mounted light, I bought a cheap knockoff 1xCREE LED with wide angle diffuser lens that works great. The OEM battery only lasted an hour on high power so I eventually bought a nice name brand battery that gets me about 4 hours on high power. External battery for the bar mounted light is no big deal since I strap the battery to the top tube.
    Amazon.com : RioRand 4 Mode 1200 Lumen CREE XML T6 Bulb LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Lamp Flashlight Light Headlamp : Sports & Outdoors

RAKC
    I dont recommend flashlights for trail use. Run time and output both seriously lacking. 808 clones are nothing more than a flashlight with external battery pack, which function but there is just too many much better options out now.

Also dont have to put a 4 cell pack on the helmet, that's what the long cord is for. And small light/battery pack is still lighter than a motorcycle helmet
    Last edited by tigris99; 09-23-2015 at 12:18 PM.

I like turtles
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    I dont recommend flashlights for trail use. Run time and output both seriously lacking. 808 clones are nothing more than a flashlight with external battery pack, which function but there is just too many much better options out now.

Also dont have to put a 4 cell pack on the helmet, that's what the long cord is for. And small light/battery pack is still lighter than a motorcycle helmet.
    Agree 100%...don't understand the flashlights when you can get a Nitefighter BT21 for ~$60.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF