Beam Shots: BT40S, KD MJ880 Clone, Yinding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Beam Shots: BT40S, KD MJ880 Clone, Yinding

Updated my Flickr page with some summertime pics. Included are NW KD 880 Clone modded with 2x 20*60 LEDDNAs and a NW [3C] Yinding with the 10*45, as well as the first one from GB with the "wrong" 5C [?] tint modded with my DIY Reflecting Shield.

Glare from cable housing and illuminated silicone boot of the BT40S really did a number on the camera's brightness level, so distance beam appears a lot dimmer than it seemed to my eyes, while also amplifying Low Beam hotspots which were not nearly as noticeable to me while taking the pics. But color seemed pretty accurate at the time. View from cockpit while seated obviously shows rider's POV, shots taken from behind the bike demonstrate overall field of illumination. Orientation is downhill, so driveway appears foreshortened. Closest tree is about 75 feet away, next one is 110 feet. Not sure whether my iPad uploaded all the photos I chose yet, still waiting, grrr.

Um, enjoy?

https://flic.kr/p/uVCDz7

BT40 S Turbo
    Beam Shots: BT40S, KD MJ880 Clone, Yinding-image.jpg

BT40S Turbo, KD 2x 20*60 LEDDNA Medium

BT40S Turbo, Yinding 10*45 Medium

mtbr member
    BT40 S Turbo beam shot not impressed..
    "Invisible" Yinding w/Shield very surprised)

RAKC
    His camera settings are off, check the bt40s thread, bt40 is ALOT brighter than that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well as I said, the intense glare off the brand new sparkle gold Jagwire cable housing and the BT40S' illuminated silicone boot caused the camera to dim everything. Had I shot the scene from the side without the front of the bike in view the pics would have come out much brighter over all; trees in background were pretty well illuminated to my eyes. But I was trying more to illustrate various beam patterns of the different degree lenses, from the rider's perspective, with emphasis placed on light shining around the front wheel. Again, while the camera did automatically lower the brightness level, the colors seemed to come out pretty accurate. Notice there is neither too much blue or yellow in any of the shots, a tribute to the Neutral White tint of all the lamps. That fat cat perusing the driveway really looks just the same in broad daylight (a kind of brownish grey), while the heterogenous Item 4 and little sprinklings of weeds down the median also came out quite legible.

Here's a more dramatic example of the problem I had with the housing/charge indicator glare, pretty obvious why the camera had to compensate:

Stoopid thing is, thought I was being overly generous when installing new cable housing, never imagined those huge loops would still interfere with the lamps, D'oh! Wouldn't have been such a problem with the Nitefighter aimed a bit downward, but was trying to get as much throw from it to extend the field of KD lamps' eliptical diffusers, which of course are employed as low beams. Oh well.

RAKC
    Holy crap ya I see the problem lol.