BD Double Stryk (helmet) vs Strykr II & SL (helmet/bar combo)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

BD Double Stryk (helmet) vs Strykr II & SL (helmet/bar combo)

I'm going to upgrade my NR Pro 600 and Sigma light setup and pretty certain of going with BD. Was thinking of the Double Stryke as I like the idea of having one light but after reading some posts I'm debating whether an SL and Stryk II helmet/bar would be a better setup. The bar/handlebar would overall be heavier with two batteries but lighter on the head. It seems bar/helemet does offer some advantages in overall light 'coverage' but not sure how much. Any thoughts? Anyone using the Double Stryk as a helmet light only?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Between my old dear, we have all 3 of the newer XML models plus the older Stryker and Stryker Pro (both still great performers).

Without searing your eyeballs in a wall of text, here's what I think is best combo in order of preference:

1. Double Stryk (bar) + Strykr SL (helmet)
    If money is an issue, SAVE a little longer. Do it right, do it once.

If really hard pressed for cash and suffer from trigger finger syndrome,

2. Strykr II (bar) + Strykr SL (helmet) (both wide lens option). The SL spot lens is not really useable as far as trails go IMO. It's really really really tight. For those who own the SLs and have tried it will know what I mean.

3. If going to run a single light only, the Double Stryk sits best on the bars, not the helmet.

Edited: The batter pack has a rubber exo skeleton mounting fixture that sits very well on the top tube while fastened down securely with the beefy velcro straps supplied. No need to worry about additional weight on the handle bars. Both the wires leading from the light head and battery provide ample length when connected so no issues when turning the handlebars either.

I recently tried the new BD optic (not reflector) that Shannon sent me. It works very well by itself with the Strykr SL, providing a little more throw and a gentler periphery than the wide reflector lens. It might be a potential candidate for a single helmet light option but by no means does it replace a dual light helmet/bar combo. My $0.02

Hope this helps. Good luck! Go with option #1
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chromagftw; 04-08-2012 at 10:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I also have the dual,sl and 2011 strykr and pro and hands down the dual on the bars and sl on the helmet is amazing and hit some pretty DH techy stuff at night 25-30mph and have never once felt i needed more light with that set-up (just wish i was a better rider Haha)

I know/think there are having a pretty good sale going on right now so if you can pull it off i would do it right once with the peice of mind knowing you will NEVER have to upgrade and get a dual strykr for the bars and a SL for your helmet but if i was to get one light it would be the dual on the bars for sure as it has a amazing spot and wide beam. Good luck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BD Double Stryk (helmet) vs Strykr II & SL (helmet/bar combo)-79d0.jpg  

mtbr member
    Are there any modes on the BD lights? I've never seen any mention.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Are there any modes on the BD lights? I've never seen any mention.
    Hi SoCal_Jack,

The Baja Designs Strykr series systems have multiple levels that break down by thirds, so you have 3hrs on High (925 lumens), 6hrs on Medium (roughly 600 lumens), and 12hrs of Low (roughly 300 lumens), the Flasher mode last for up to 30hrs on a full battery on the single beam systems. The Double Stryk gets half the burn time that the single beam systems get, but generally you are able to cruise around in the Mid and Low settings and still have more than plenty of light. Of course the ultimate combo is the Double Stryk and Strykr SL, but honestly with the level of light that is being produced you'll be stoked with any combination you'd like to go with. (but I recommend the most expensive one )

The battery uses Sanyo cells, is fully armored, water proof, and is warrantied for two years (the rest of the system has a life-time warranty), I believe two years is twice as long as the best warranty in the industry.

The charger that comes with the Strykr II is a smart charger (red when charging/green when done) that takes 2.5hrs to top a battery that has been fully drained.

I realize that you didn't ask for the rest of that info but I figured as long as I was writing...

We do still have our Trade-In program for old lights (working or not) that allows you to take $100 off the MSRP of any Strykr series system, if you have no trade in we are still running our 20th Anniversary sale where all of our systems are 20% off.

Hopefully that helps a bit. Let me know what other questions you may have.

Here's our Facebook page if you'd like to see what you're getting into, Baja Designs owners are definitely more of a hardcore group so be forewarned: http://www.facebook.com/bajadesigns.bicycle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    Between my old dear, we have all 3 of the newer XML models plus the older Stryker and Stryker Pro (both still great performers).

Without searing your eyeballs in a wall of text, here's what I think is best combo in order of preference:

1. Double Stryk (bar) + Strykr SL (helmet)
    If money is an issue, SAVE a little longer. Do it right, do it once.

If really hard pressed for cash and suffer from trigger finger syndrome,

2. Strykr II (bar) + Strykr SL (helmet) (both wide lens option). The SL spot lens is not really useable as far as trails go IMO. It's really really really tight. For those who own the SLs and have tried it will know what I mean.

3. If going to run a single light only, the Double Stryk sits best on the bars, not the helmet.

Edited: The batter pack has a rubber exo skeleton mounting fixture that sits very well on the top tube while fastened down securely with the beefy velcro straps supplied. No need to worry about additional weight on the handle bars. Both the wires leading from the light head and battery provide ample length when connected so no issues when turning the handlebars either.

I recently tried the new BD optic (not reflector) that Shannon sent me. It works very well by itself with the Strykr SL, providing a little more throw and a gentler periphery than the wide reflector lens. It might be a potential candidate for a single helmet light option but by no means does it replace a dual light helmet/bar combo. My $0.02

Hope this helps. Good luck! Go with option #1
    Hey Chromagftw,

Our lights are pretty cool but I really had a hard time paying attention to the reflector on the box with that cute girl on it... (JK - I agree with option number one)

Shannon

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. It would be nice if that was on the BD website as there's virtually no info other than max lumens and a sparse description of the kit at present. Another peeve is none of the photos of the rest of the kit enlarge if clicked on (Facebook certainly has it's uses but not really conducive to finding information like that).

Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon View Post
    Hi SoCal_Jack,

The Baja Designs Strykr series systems have multiple levels that break down by thirds, so you have 3hrs on High (925 lumens), 6hrs on Medium (roughly 600 lumens), and 12hrs of Low (roughly 300 lumens), the Flasher mode last for up to 30hrs on a full battery on the single beam systems. The Double Stryk gets half the burn time that the single beam systems get, but generally you are able to cruise around in the Mid and Low settings and still have more than plenty of light. Of course the ultimate combo is the Double Stryk and Strykr SL, but honestly with the level of light that is being produced you'll be stoked with any combination you'd like to go with. (but I recommend the most expensive one )

The battery uses Sanyo cells, is fully armored, water proof, and is warrantied for two years (the rest of the system has a life-time warranty), I believe two years is twice as long as the best warranty in the industry.

The charger that comes with the Strykr II is a smart charger (red when charging/green when done) that takes 2.5hrs to top a battery that has been fully drained.

I realize that you didn't ask for the rest of that info but I figured as long as I was writing...

We do still have our Trade-In program for old lights (working or not) that allows you to take $100 off the MSRP of any Strykr series system, if you have no trade in we are still running our 20th Anniversary sale where all of our systems are 20% off.

Hopefully that helps a bit. Let me know what other questions you may have.

Here's our Facebook page if you'd like to see what you're getting into, Baja Designs owners are definitely more of a hardcore group so be forewarned: http://www.facebook.com/bajadesigns.bicycle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Thanks for the info. It would be nice if that was on the BD website as there's virtually no info other than max lumens and a sparse description of the kit at present. Another peeve is none of the photos of the rest of the kit enlarge if clicked on (Facebook certainly has it's uses but not really conducive to finding information like that).
    That is the truth, our website is...ummmm..., that's really all I have to say about that. We are much better at building lights of various types than we are at creating websites, although I have since posted up quite a bit more info on the site - hopefully that has helped a bit.

So SoCal Jack, did you end up with a Double Stryk and Strykr SL despite our lackluster site?

Members who have read this thread: 0