Battery Space Lion Charger- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Battery Space Lion Charger

Hi,

I have one of the older Battery space Lion batteries and charger before they went to the more idiot proof Tamiya style plug. Anyway I stupidly tried to plug my charger in without turning the garage light on thinking I could see well enough to see which is the small prong and large prong, got it the wrong way and blew it. In a previous post back around 2005 someone said they fixed a batteryspace charger by replacing the ouput xenon diode.

Can anyone tell me where that is on the circuit board and what it looks like. I don't see anything in the circuit board that looks obvously like a diode.

Thanks
    Chris

PS My back flashing light fell off my bike so I went from front and back lights to no lights on one day :-(

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-crisis
    Hi,

I have one of the older Battery space Lion batteries and charger before they went to the more idiot proof Tamiya style plug. Anyway I stupidly tried to plug my charger in without turning the garage light on thinking I could see well enough to see which is the small prong and large prong, got it the wrong way and blew it. In a previous post back around 2005 someone said they fixed a batteryspace charger by replacing the ouput xenon diode.

Can anyone tell me where that is on the circuit board and what it looks like. I don't see anything in the circuit board that looks obvously like a diode...
    I have some of the old BatterySpace chargers and yes I know how hard they are to connect when there is not enough light. I believe you are referring to a "Zener diode" as I do not believe there is anything called a Xenon diode. Before you break open the case to look at the electronics, it is a good idea to have the electrical drawing ( schematic ) of the circuit. Maybe if you contact BS on their forums perhaps they can supply the drawing. Heck, maybe it might be easier just to replace the whole board. A new charger is about $19 plus shipping. Don't know what a new board would cost but probably not much cheaper. Anyway, this is what Zener diodes look like > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zener_diode Scoll down on the link and the picture is on the right. Good luck, not too many people try to fix electronics at the component level nowadays. Easier to just replace the board most times.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks and you are right it is a Zener diode. I found the original post titled BatterySpace pack and charger review from December 2007.

I have now found the diode on the circuit board based on the picture from your wikipdpeia link (thanks) and plan to try replace it. While the replacements chargers are not really expensive postage from US to Australia is which is why I would rathe fix this one if possible.

Not sure why but I have been banned from the BS forum. I sent them an e-mail asking why as I have never posted anything insulting at all and they said technical difficulties and they will fix it but so far no luck.

Thanks
    Chris

Members who have read this thread: 0