Batteries or internal rechargeable?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Batteries or internal rechargeable?

I expose my lack of knowledge at several levels here... but I'm wondering with what the latest technology has to offer, would it be beneficial to go with both battery powered and internal rechargeable lights for back-up purposes? I'm planning to illuminate mostly the commute route along side a road and then some fat biking off-road in the snow.
    Any comments or suggestions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    In my experience with diving lights, it is best to get a rechargeable lithium type battery, then to keep wasting money on batteries. I tcosts more up front, but over the life of the light, the amount of times you will be replacing them with store bought batteries and the added cost, is just not worth it. Sure it means you have to get a charger, but it also means that you will be throwing out less batteries.

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You spread out the cost with disposable batteries. The cost is mostly upfront with rechargeable batteries, although these eventually need to get replaced too.

Disposable batteries are safe. Rechargeable batteries can be dangerous, especially cheap batteries charged by cheap chargers.

Both have drastic differences in quality and runtime. Alkaline batteries generally have poor battery life. Energizer Lithium batteries have great battery life and is lightweight too. Nimh rechargeable batteries vary widely in terms of quality, which mostly affects battery life. Lithium ion (and IMR & INR) rechargeable batteries range from very safe to not safe at best, and also range from having a battery capacity that matches its specs to a battery life that's a fraction of its specs.

With rechargeable batteries, you also have the option of internal batteries, external batteries, and proprietary batteries of both types.

This probably leaves you with more questions than answers.

If you want help selecting a light, you've already helped by characterizing the way you'll use the light. It'll help greatly if you provide your desired battery life and your budget.

mtbr member
    another thing to bear in mind is that if you're going to be using this light in the snow, alkaline battery capacity falls off a cliff when it's cold. Li-ion is affected too, but no way near as much.

If your rides are less than 2-3h, then any of the all-in-one lights by cygolite, niterider and so on would be perfect. Small, easy to use and USB rechargeable. I built an equivalent light of my own and it's easily my favourite, even though it isn't my brightest.

mtbr member
    ...adding to what Matt said ^, I'd recommend using a lamp with external batteries. If you're riding in cold weather a lamp using just one 18650 cell is going to suffer a lot of voltage sag because of the cold. This will be enhanced by the lamp as well because the battery ( on self-contained lamps ) is surrounded by metal. Nope, to fight the effects of cold it is better to use a lamp that uses a multi-cell battery....my two cents.

Members who have read this thread: 0