Baja Designs Light Systems for 2012- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Listen! Baja Designs Light Systems for 2012

I'm sure Shannon won't mind me posting this.....

Enter the Double Stryke! (pre-production model without adnodized finish)

1800 lumens. Dual XML emitters. Spot and flood lens combo. Lifetime warranty on light heads.

Their new line up includes XML upgrades to their Stryker and Stryker Pro models. A very nifty center bar mount is also to be introduced. Anticipated release date: late September 2011. More info on their facebook linky:

Baja Designs Bicycle Lighting | Facebook

EDITED

Shannon, quick question, are the lenses responsible for the spot/flood beam pattern interchangeable by user or are they fixed?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Baja Designs Light Systems for 2012-picture-1.jpg  

Last edited by Chromagftw; 08-19-2011 at 01:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Light looks pretty sweet and am sure it will be bad arse i just wish they would work on a better mounting system, Having 4 bikes i rotate riding the zip ties got old and the o-ring set-up scratch the crap out of my new diety bars so even though i loved the light i ended up selling it.

I will keep watching in hopes they make a easier mount - but until they figure out a more friendly user interchangable mounting system (or offer discounts on multiple zip ties mounts haha) i personally will hold off on another purchase but that is prob. just being picky.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalNomadRider View Post
    Light looks pretty sweet and am sure it will be bad arse i just wish they would work on a better mounting system, Having 4 bikes i rotate riding the zip ties got old and the o-ring set-up scratch the crap out of my new diety bars so even though i loved the light i ended up selling it.

I will keep watching in hopes they make a easier mount - but until they figure out a more friendly user interchangable mounting system (or offer discounts on multiple zip ties mounts haha) i personally will hold off on another purchase but that is prob. just being picky.
    I do believe its in the works according to the email I received from Shannon - they've been listening:

"...the Double Stryk will be coming with our new mechanical clamp mount. It aluminum and nylon-fiber it is designed to place the light system in front of and centered on the stem. The mount will be available for purchase as an accessory for the Strykr SL and the Strykr II."

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    They do have a QR handel bar mount that will be released with their new line up around the end of September. The double XML looks very nice,and should be another hit for BajaDesigns along with their Stryker upgrades. Chromagftw, any word on the other new design?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hey indebt, how goes it man? So far for bicycles alone, just the Stryker and Stryker Pro upgrades along the the Double Stryke as far as I know. I'm not aware of another new offering. I may be wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Going pretty well Chromagftw, getting anxious for the night riding season here,time to pull the battery's out of the fridge.Sucks that it doesnt get dark here in the summer until 10:30. I saved a message from Shannon and checked it again.He does state two new additions to their line up over and above the Strykers but he didn't elaborate,, Hmmm!!! Wonder what the other one is???

mtbr member
    Ive been telling myself whoever comes out with a good double XM-L with good flood and throw will dominate the light wars, I think Baja just fired the first shot and is charging up the hill to grab the flag . Those look great Shannon looking forward to some specs and beamshots and more important Prices.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Compatible center light mount for Stryker, Stryker SL and Double Stryke.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Baja Designs Light Systems for 2012-picture-1.jpg  

Last edited by Chromagftw; 08-19-2011 at 01:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    Compatible center light mount for Stryker, Stryker SL and Double Stryke.
    That is the kind of chocolate i am talking about, That mount with dual xml's my search for the perfect light would be over.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalNomadRider View Post
    That is the kind of chocolate i am talking about, That mount with dual xml's my search for the perfect light would be over.
    Hey Lads and Lasses!,

I am in an up-armored Hummer on the way to go training up in central California so please forgive (the additional) typos and bad grammar.

So the proverbial cats out of the bag eh? Here's the skinny: The Strykr is becoming the Strykr II, the Strykr Pro is now the Strykr SL, and new for 2012 is the Baja Designs Double Stryk. Prices are $299.95, $339.95, and $449.95 respectively. They are all powered by the mighty XM-L emitter, the Strykr Il and Strykr SL will be pumping out just shy of 1000 lumens - we are not driving them to their max capability.

The Strykr SL will come with interchangeable spot and wide angle reflectors. The battery, charger, and mounts are all the same as 2011. A version of the Baja Designs Strykr SL is being tested by the military as we speak - super tough and great to see long distances and is quite blinding when used for room clearing/CQB.

The uber-burly Strykr will get the XM-L and become the Baja Designs Strykr II. The new python grip mount will be an accessory for this system and the SL. The Strykr II will still be completely waterproof, reliable as a hammer, and come with a wide and spot reflector.

Our new super *****in' flagship system is known as the Baja Designs Double Stryk. It is a dual XM-L equipped, wide and spot reflectored (is that a word?), fully waterproof, lightweight(!) yet ridiculously tough system. It will be coming stock with our new aluminum, mechanical QR mount. (available separately for $32.95) It will incorporate the proven battery and charger currently in use with our 2011 systems.

The new lights will be available towards the end of September. The light head are all compatible with our current lights and will be for sale

We have some super quick racers debuting the 2012 final Pre-production systems at the Predator Night Race tomorrow. If you happen to be going to that event and want to check the new lights out let me know and I'll direct you to the guys using them.

I am sure you guys will have questions, I will be training with my National Guard unit for the next 18 days but I will be able to check here from time to time.

I can't wait to unleash these new little beasts, I think you guys are going to like them!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    I'm sure Shannon won't mind me posting this.....

Enter the Double Stryke! (pre-production model without adnodized finish)

1800 lumens. Dual XML emitters. Spot and flood lens combo. Lifetime warranty on light heads.

Their new line up includes XML upgrades to their Stryker and Stryker Pro models. A very nifty center bar mount is also to be introduced. Anticipated release date: late September 2011. More info on their facebook linky:

Baja Designs Bicycle Lighting | Facebook

EDITED

Shannon, quick question, are the lenses responsible for the spot/flood beam pattern interchangeable by user or are they fixed?
    The wide and spot reflectors are fixed on the Double Stryk. Luckily our head engineer is a Jedi and used his Force powers to come up with the set-up for this system. Seriously though he worked and reworked these reflectors, until we were happy with the result and handle the almost 2k in lumens very well. (PS - I really do believe him to be a Jedi)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Shannon,

Any chance the lightheads will be upgradeable to the new emitters?? I have a stryker and I am sold on the quality of Baja but buying a new light after 8 months of use is a tough sell to the wife.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by AKamp View Post
    Shannon,

Any chance the lightheads will be upgradeable to the new emitters?? I have a stryker and I am sold on the quality of Baja but buying a new light after 8 months of use is a tough sell to the wife.
    Hi AKamp,

I very much understand keeping the wife happy, that is VERY important! The current Strykr systems could be retro fitted with XM-L's by someone that really knows what they are doing.

We will offer the new light heads individually once they are available. We also have the 30% Trade-Up program where you get 30% of the value that you paid for your current BD system towards one of the new ones.

Hopefully that helps, let me what questions you may have.

Shannon

mtbr member
    Shannon, The design of the new double XM-L lamp looks interesting. I think it safe to say that it will give the DiNotte and Niterider lamps that are listing in the 1300 to 1500 lumen range a run for the money. My only complaint is the proposed price which I feel is a little steep. What amp/hr/voltage battery are you selling with these AND will the new lamp be available as "light head only" for people who already have batteries? What kind of mode arrangement will the driver be using? Cant wait to see the user beam pics when these are released.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    exiting and good news ! thanks Shannon .
    of course, everybody got some questions,...

couple of thoughts, or my usual rambling:
    DIY XML upgrade on the Strykr ,
    it's a no go, even for me ,
    - did not got more detail on driver current
    - MCE probably in 4 serial configuration, due 12.8V cutout,
    would mean, you'd get 700ma for your XML on existing driver
    unless you put in a new driver,...
    - the MCE sits higher than the XML,... so reflector or optics, would not line up
    - there is a thermal sensor on the LED pcb, directly, transplanting that one be difficult.
    so , if you must, bite the bullet, and be happy, there is a trade-up program,...
    for the ones, that have 1 strykr, maybe another helmet light,
    keep the strykr, and get the dual for handlebar . that be enough light.
    double the light, also means double the battery juice , to keep the runtime .
    by the time it's done, the batteries add up, weight and price.
    so light-head only availability is a good question,
    especially for the heli guys, with non-flamable suite , that already have a bunch lipo lying around, next to their C4. wonder how many double Stryke does it take, to substitute a good old fasion flame-thrower.
    so thumbs up ! keep your thumbs up, your lid on, and the thumb of that trigger, till we get confirmed info, then run like hell, and get one, if you can.
    cheers, Rob

mtbr member
    Rob - the Strykers use D-bin P7s, not MC-Es, so the current provided will be the same between a P7 and an XM-L.

As for how easy it would be to swap, that depends on how the P7s are mounted and heatsinked.

Shannon, great looking light, I'm sure you'll have a lot of happy customers with it. I have a similar bar light and it's allowed me to ride stuff at night that I couldn't before. BTW, what bin XM-Ls are you using, U2s?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    mattthemuppet, do you actually have one , with the P7 ?
    the ones I seen / have, look like this,

sure look like MCE's to me.

and asking for U2 bins ? what's the point, a couple of more lumens,
    to trade for worse color. Baja is about quality.
    Who knows, maybe Shannon can get you an answer.
    If you need more light than one, add one, or get the dual.
    even a new , single XML, is no substitute, for a dual light.

cheers, Rob

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    Rob - the Strykers use D-bin P7s, not MC-Es, so the current provided will be the same between a P7 and an XM-L.

As for how easy it would be to swap, that depends on how the P7s are mounted and heatsinked.

Shannon, great looking light, I'm sure you'll have a lot of happy customers with it. I have a similar bar light and it's allowed me to ride stuff at night that I couldn't before. BTW, what bin XM-Ls are you using, U2s?

mtbr member
    Lights look great but my biggest concern is runtime on a single stock battery . I am running 2 XM-Ls on my bars right now with separate 6.0 batterys and they suck the juice
    Whats going to be the run time specs on Baja,s 1 stock battery?
    Last edited by Rakuman; 08-23-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    Lights look great but my biggest concern is runtime on a single stock battery . I am running 2 XM-Ls on my bars right now with separate 6.0 batterys and they suck the juice
    Whats going to be the run time specs on Baja,s 1 stock battery?
    Rakuman, according to what I've read:

‎1.5 hrs on 100%, 3 hrs on medium, 6 hrs on low @ 1800L, 900L and 450L respectively.

Personally I'd need twice that capacity. Tired of lugging around several batteries in the backpack. Shannon, is a larger power pack in the works?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rschultz101 View Post
    mattthemuppet, do you actually have one , with the P7 ?
    the ones I seen / have, look like this,

sure look like MCE's to me.

and asking for U2 bins ? what's the point, a couple of more lumens,
    to trade for worse color. Baja is about quality.
    Who knows, maybe Shannon can get you an answer.
    If you need more light than one, add one, or get the dual.
    even a new , single XML, is no substitute, for a dual light.

cheers, Rob
    nope, don't have one, just going off info on the web. Those do look like MC-Es though. Perhaps Shannon could weigh in? Either way, the main obstacle to upgrading the LED is how it's mounted, not the reflector.

As for T5/6 vs. U2/3, it's more than a couple of lumens, you should know that. At 3A, the difference according to the Cree datasheets is ~100lm per LED, so ~200lm in a twin set up. Even with efficiency losses due to heat/ optics, which will be the same for either bin, you're still looking at ~10% difference.

And I do have a twin XM-L set up, thanks. Two, in fact.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon View Post
    Hey Lads and Lasses!,

I am in an up-armored Hummer on the way to go training up in central California so please forgive (the additional) typos and bad grammar.

So the proverbial cats out of the bag eh? Here's the skinny: The Strykr is becoming the Strykr II, the Strykr Pro is now the Strykr SL, and new for 2012 is the Baja Designs Double Stryk. Prices are $299.95, $339.95, and $449.95 respectively. They are all powered by the mighty XM-L emitter, the Strykr Il and Strykr SL will be pumping out just shy of 1000 lumens - we are not driving them to their max capability.

The Strykr SL will come with interchangeable spot and wide angle reflectors. The battery, charger, and mounts are all the same as 2011. A version of the Baja Designs Strykr SL is being tested by the military as we speak - super tough and great to see long distances and is quite blinding when used for room clearing/CQB.

The uber-burly Strykr will get the XM-L and become the Baja Designs Strykr II. The new python grip mount will be an accessory for this system and the SL. The Strykr II will still be completely waterproof, reliable as a hammer, and come with a wide and spot reflector.

Our new super *****in' flagship system is known as the Baja Designs Double Stryk. It is a dual XM-L equipped, wide and spot reflectored (is that a word?), fully waterproof, lightweight(!) yet ridiculously tough system. It will be coming stock with our new aluminum, mechanical QR mount. (available separately for $32.95) It will incorporate the proven battery and charger currently in use with our 2011 systems.

The new lights will be available towards the end of September. The light head are all compatible with our current lights and will be for sale

We have some super quick racers debuting the 2012 final Pre-production systems at the Predator Night Race tomorrow. If you happen to be going to that event and want to check the new lights out let me know and I'll direct you to the guys using them.

I am sure you guys will have questions, I will be training with my National Guard unit for the next 18 days but I will be able to check here from time to time.

I can't wait to unleash these new little beasts, I think you guys are going to like them!
    Shannon, what is the degree beam on the Strykr II and the Strykr SL? I'm wondering if the II is more flood than the SL.

Thanks.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    I guess Shannon must be too busy to answer questions right now. Looks like the cat has been let out of the bag a little too early.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I guess Shannon must be too busy to answer questions right now. Looks like the cat has been let out of the bag a little too early.
    Shanons 20+ year marine/military and out on reserves training right now. He checks in but periodically. He will answer lol he's just busy training to save the world.
    Part of the reason the construction on these is so solid.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    Shannon, what is the degree beam on the Strykr II and the Strykr SL? I'm wondering if the II is more flood than the SL.

Thanks.
    The Baja Designs Strykr II and Strykr SL will both be coming with spot AND wide angle reflectors so you'll be able to choose for yourself the combination that works best in your conditions.

Shannon

PS - I will apologize ahead of time for my slow response time and any typos. I am up training with my National Guard Cavalry Scout unit at Camp Roberts, California for the next couple of weeks. I will do my best to answer as quick as I can though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    nope, don't have one, just going off info on the web. Those do look like MC-Es though. Perhaps Shannon could weigh in? Either way, the main obstacle to upgrading the LED is how it's mounted, not the reflector.

As for T5/6 vs. U2/3, it's more than a couple of lumens, you should know that. At 3A, the difference according to the Cree datasheets is ~100lm per LED, so ~200lm in a twin set up. Even with efficiency losses due to heat/ optics, which will be the same for either bin, you're still looking at ~10% difference.

And I do have a twin XM-L set up, thanks. Two, in fact.
    Hey Lads,

The current Strykr and Strykr Pro use MC-E's. They once told me what bin the new systems XM-L's are coming from and the U2 is ringing a bell. That being said I will have to check with the guys back at the shop to be sure. As far as color goes, it looks slightly whiter than the current Strykr's MC-E.

SGT Scott (Shannon)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Shannon, The design of the new double XM-L lamp looks interesting. I think it safe to say that it will give the DiNotte and Niterider lamps that are listing in the 1300 to 1500 lumen range a run for the money. My only complaint is the proposed price which I feel is a little steep. What amp/hr/voltage battery are you selling with these AND will the new lamp be available as "light head only" for people who already have batteries? What kind of mode arrangement will the driver be using? Cant wait to see the user beam pics when these are released.
    Howdy Cat,

Bullcrew is right, I am out of the office for the next couple of weeks for military training. I check in on my iPhone as often as I can though. To answer at least the questions I can at the moment: the light heads will be sold separately (I will get you the price) we also have our Trade-In deal for competitors lights as well as the Trade-Up program for Baja Designs riders with 2010-2011 Strykrs and Strkyr Pros. The battery we are using on the new systems is the tried and true battery we are currently using. A larger one is not currently on the works as very few people are actually asking for them. I always hook people up if they need a spare for racing or extended riding.

I will forward your questions back to the shop and get an answer ASAP. Hopefully that helps. Let me know what other questions you may have.

SGT Shannon Scott 1-18th Cavalry

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I just got a stykr about a month ago for 300. So you are offering 30% or 90$ to trade in? Is this just for the lamp or the batteries too?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon View Post
    we also have our Trade-In deal for competitors lights as well as the Trade-Up program for Baja Designs riders with 2010-2011 Strykrs and Strkyr Pros.
    SGT Shannon Scott 1-18th Cavalry
    Thanks Shannon that was going to be MY next question

mtbr member
    Hi Peter584,

The Trade-Up program is for current Baja Designs light system owners. Basically you let me know new system you'd like and you trade in your complete old system. I would send you a Trade-Up form, then you fill it out and email/fax it in. Once you receive your new system ship the older system back in where it will live a long happy life as a demo light. Let me know what other questions you nay have.

SGT Scott (Shannon)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hi Shannon, when you have some down time, can you share with us the approximate internal/external lens diameter of the Dbl Stryk and whether there are any plans to produce a larger capacity battery that would enable the Dbl Stryk to run on high for 3 hrs instead of the 1.5hrs?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    All the new lights and accessories look promising, Shannon. Keep feeding us details when you get back from training and let us know when new info is going to be posted on the BD website. I would be interested in knowing how difficult it would be for a non-light geek to upgrade the LED or if that is even practical. Definitely interested in the new mount for my Strykr.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by betweenrides View Post
    All the new lights and accessories look promising, Shannon. Keep feeding us details when you get back from training and let us know when new info is going to be posted on the BD website. I would be interested in knowing how difficult it would be for a non-light geek to upgrade the LED or if that is even practical. Definitely interested in the new mount for my Strykr.
    Let's see...where to begin?...We currently don't have any plans to make a bigger battery. Generally speaking that is because no one has really asked us to build them. If it starts to become a big theme then we'll definitely look into it. My thought process on that subject is that while the Double Stryk can pump out better than 1800 lumens I am honestly rarely going to need that. On medium it'll be putting out more than 900 lumens for three hours. If a rider mixes in a little H/M/L he or she will still get three or more hours. The beam pattern on this light is AWESOME so the lower settings will be very functional. All that being said, if enough riders really want an extended dance-mix version of the battery we will produce one for sure.

Size of the lenses, I am not totally sure. My guess would be 2.5cm(ish) in the pictures you can see the quarter next to the light head for size reference. I can get you an exact measurement next week when I am done with my military training.

As far as swapping out the MC-E for a new XM-L, I don't believe it'd be very easily done. The XM-L is a whole different little animal. Rob explained a bunch of this higher up in this thread - he is far smarter than I am (I am just a Marine) and can steer you in a better direction than I. Remember, we do have our Baja Designs Owner Trade-Up Program that helps our riders keep up with the new technology. (life is tough when you have a life-time warranty...)

Hopefully that answered some of you guy's w
    questions. Let me know what else you may be curious about.

SGT Shannon Scott