Back-Up / Emergency Bike Light- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Back-Up / Emergency Bike Light

I have a Trail Tech MR11 (13W HID) for my main night riding light needs. Enough light to go nearly full speed on a DH bike. However, I ride a lot in the early morning and want a compact light to keep in my pack for the 1/2 hour to 1 hour before the sun comes up or if I ride late and it gets dark before getting back to the car.

I've seen a few recommendations for the P7 with an extra battery and handlebar mount. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060 They claim 900 lumens, but I'm guessing more like 200L. Are there any actual comparisons with this light? Are there any other similar or better recommendations?
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    I have the light. I would say 200-400 lumens. It is close to my Dinotte 400L but with more of a spot beam. It still enough spread to ride with for a while. For the price, it is almost impossible to beat.

(I gave them as Christmas gifts last year).

Does get hot when used as a flash light, but then again it makes for a heck of flash light.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Figure about the same output as the Magicshine. I think they are much more then 200 lumen. Based on many other comparisons I've seen (in photos, videos and in person), I'd say closer to 500-600.

Regardless of the number, they are BRIGHT! And as string said, pretty much impossible to beat for the price in terms of lumens per dollar.

I use an MS on my helmet, but I recently got one of these for my bars and like it a lot.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info String. Your comment, "more of a spot beam", got me thinking. I'd like as much of a flood as possible from a small light like these. There are a few versions of these P7 lights on DX. Does anyone have any comments on which ones are more flood oriented or is it possible to get a flood replacement light.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Scott, there is a lot of spill with these, so it really dos light up a big area, but that spot has some half decent punch down the center of the trail.

A nice shot from the photos section of the P7 I linked:

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pic fightnut. That looks like plenty of flood light for casual/dawn/dusk trail riding. I want to get one of the single cell 18650 lights. Price is not a concern as most are only $25 - $35. Any final recommendations on which version to get from DX?

lotto baby
    i just ordered a P7 and that pic definitely has me excited to use it on my bars. thanks fightnut.

i also ordered a:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060

for the helmet. i hope that works out.
    Last edited by clarkenstein; 09-03-2010 at 09:55 AM.
    i spurt in the wind, and the wind drug it

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Any final recommendations on which version to get from DX?
    I only have experience with the one I linked above (sku#22567), and one of the reasons for choosing that one was the shorter length. I wanted one of the shortest ones I could get (I think there's only one shorter then mine).
    Plus I did read some good feedback on it, here on the forums as well as on DX.

I initially had planned to mount it in one of these, since I had several around already, but it did bounce around a bit too much for me (smaller, lighter flashlights do fine in those by the way).
    So I ordered a couple of these. They're on their way, and I'll post a review once I've had a chance to use them.

Members who have read this thread: 0