Area light around the bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Area light around the bike?

Do you guys light up the area around the bike? I want to light up around the bike for 4ft. It is pitch black out there

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Using a good helmet light will light up wherever you're looking. No need to waste light where you aren't looking, right? I've never felt the need to run an "area light" other than at the car when I'm packing up.

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

mtbr member
    Bike lights are directional by design. A good bar lamp will light up the area close to the front tire and then illuminate a fairly wide path ~ 50 to 200 ft. from the bike depending on the output mode, total power of the light or combo of lamps being used. Assuming you use a helmet lamp you can aim it wherever you point your head. Most people who use two lamps likely have the potential output of about 2000-3000 lumen. That amount of light allows you to see in front of you very well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I want to light up the area like Christmas tree

RAKC
    No one that i know of uses an area light. A good helmet light, like garry said, takes care of anywhere your looking. This is why the cheap chinese lights tend to suck. Because they truly have 1/4 the output they say they do, so they dont light up much area. A bar light (as cat pointed out) takes care of everything in front of the bike.

Why add weight and complexity to the system when it does nothing any batter than just a good set of lights?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    I want to light up the area like Christmas tree
    Are you going to be in a parade or something?
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  71.6 KB
    Found these wheel lights on BANGGOOD...lol
    Noice!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It is spooky to ride at night. I just want more lights to feel safer😀

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    It is spooky to ride at night. I just want more lights to feel safer😀

You won't be any safer, and you're a little old for a nightlight.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Working on getting lights on my follow me drone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by llbr22 View Post
    Working on getting lights on my follow me drone

Funny. The tech we have now is good but not that good. I doubt the battery run time of a drone would last long enough for a typical MTB ride.

On a side note; It always irritates me whenever I watch an old episode of Star Trek ( The Next Generation ) and I see the crew beam over to a ship or area that has no lights . The crew bring out these little boxes that act as handheld flashlights and start moving around. That is so stupid. By that time they had the technology for miniature anti-grav-drones with the capability to follow the entire crew with over-head lighting.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Bike lights are directional by design. A good bar lamp will light up the area close to the front tire and then illuminate a fairly wide path ~ 50 to 200 ft. from the bike depending on the output mode, total power of the light or combo of lamps being used. Assuming you use a helmet lamp you can aim it wherever you point your head. Most people who use two lamps likely have the potential output of about 2000-3000 lumen. That amount of light allows you to see in front of you very well.

or use Klarus BK30....

[I won't stop recommending bk30 there is no better light IMHO and
    as I sez, I only say that because the side lights are high-cri. if they were
    all three cool white I'd not like it so much]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Funny. The tech we have now is good but not that good. I doubt the battery run time of a drone would last long enough for a typical MTB ride.

On a side note; It always irritates me whenever I watch an old episode of Star Trek ( The Next Generation ) and I see the crew beam over to a ship or area that has no lights . The crew bring out these little boxes that act as handheld flashlights and start moving around. That is so stupid. By that time they had the technology for miniature anti-grav-drones with the capability to follow the entire crew with over-head lighting.
    Right!?!

Btw, I do use my drone today for solo, narcissism rides ;-)
    https://youtu.be/XGow2PWWAYg

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Right!?!

Btw, I do use my drone today for solo, narcissism rides ;-)
    https://youtu.be/XGow2PWWAYg

Gotta say, that's pretty slick.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

RAKC
    I want one . I used to fly RC helis (not quads, 3D and scale electrics). Good luck getting one of those to sit still unless it was a big one, bigger than I ever owned/flew.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Gotta say, that's pretty slick.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    I want one . I used to fly RC helis (not quads, 3D and scale electrics). Good luck getting one of those to sit still unless it was a big one, bigger than I ever owned/flew.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Me too! Love heli's and I've had all sizes up to 700. Nowadays they are putting flight controllers with bail out buttons so they can sit level when you feel like you're going to
    Crash. Some with GPS to sit still.

Back to the topic, I totally believe drone lights with follow and obstacle avoidance will be a thing. This tech is advancing fast with lots of money being thrown at it.

I actually used to wrap my road bike with LED strips and use 12v Lipo batteries from my RC toys. That seemed to create a nice glow around the whole bike.

mtbr member
    ...Back to the topic, I totally believe drone lights with follow and obstacle avoidance will be a thing. This tech is advancing fast with lots of money being thrown at it.

I actually used to wrap my road bike with LED strips and use 12v Lipo batteries from my RC toys. That seemed to create a nice glow around the whole bike.

The problem is you need a compact light-weight power source with hours and hours of run time. There are already programs designed for avoidance. Most of those though are designed with "self-driven" cars in mind. I saw a T.V. show on it once. It's amazing at how far the tech has come when it comes to self driving cars but battery limitations are still a major obstacle that stands in the way of building full electric powered vehicles. Once they can build batteries with at least twice the capacity ( and life-time ) as they have now we will all be driving fully electric cars. Of course cost will always be an issue as well so if ( or when ) "super batteries" become available they will likely cost a boat-load.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    or use Klarus BK30....

[I won't stop recommending bk30 there is no better light IMHO and
    as I sez, I only say that because the side lights are high-cri. if they were
    all three cool white I'd not like it so much]
    Hmmm, Interesting. I've seen these before ( on line ) but not seen a dedicated review. I would love to see some ( photo/still ) beam shots. You say the two side pods are high CRI; are you saying they are warm white or neutral white? What about the center lamp; is it the same tint or colder? I realize I'm asking off topic questions but if you like the lamp so much I suggest doing a review of the lamp and starting a new thread. Personally I'd like to see the Klarus BK30 properly reviewed since the design is somewhat unique.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Yeah, good idea CMD, I'd like to see a review of this light as well. I own one Klarus flashlight and it's fairly decent quality. Like to see bc30 review 127!