Anyone have this ebay light?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Anyone have this ebay light?

Curious if anyone has one of these?
    XM-L T6 bike light CREE T6 1000LM 4*18650 4 Mode | eBay

I'm kind of intrigued by its smaller size (claimed elsewhere to be 47mm long x 35mm wide, compared to my old Magischine's 53x43mm).

I wonder if that translates into any weight reduction over the old MS too?

I'd be even more intrigued if it had an orange peel reflector.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    There are a ton of threads on this exact light already that have good info in them but short answer...

Yes...I do. My opinion is...

Pros:
    Cheap cost
    Light performance is great

Cons:
    Cheap China knockoff product, reliable?? who knows when it may fail (maybe buy 2)
    Battery pack separate from the light so wires to mess with
    14' Specialized Crave

13' Trek Superfly100 AL Elite - Sold
    06' Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc - Sold

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vanwo23 View Post
    There are a ton of threads on this exact light already that have good info in them but short answer...
    Really, a ton of threads on this "exact light"?? Can you link me to one or two?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    Really, a ton of threads on this "exact light"?? Can you link me to one or two?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...et-789235.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...57-814622.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...um-774144.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...ed-814616.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...mp-759177.html

It's all the same stuff man... Some say 1200 lumens, some say 1800, some are silver, some are black... It's all knockoffs of the same product.

See above.
    14' Specialized Crave

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There are 4 things similar about these lights.
    1. Chinese
    2. XM-L
    3. External battery pack
    4. Mount

The rest is so different that it's laughable that you somehow think they're the same. Some differences:
    1. Different light housing diameters
    2. Different number of LEDs
    3. Different number of light housings
    4. Different external battery packs

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Oh brother
    Is there anyone that ACTUALLY has something to contribute to my original question? I'm really not interested in comparing apples to oranges.

Vanwo23, once you've been here awhile, you'll understand that we like to speak in specifics, not generalizations.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    No contribution on my part, but I'm curious about this light as well.
    I need a new battery (just had two batteries die on me) and may just get a new light instead, so I have the battery and a spare light head.
    Not sure what the beam pattern will be, but being a smaller light head it's possible that some flashlight reflectors might fit in it.
    I just bought another ebay XML bike light and am very impressed with the the light, the beam pattern, and also that the Magicshine reflector fits in it and the cables match, too. Heavier than the 808, but the weight seems to be in the reflector, of all places.
    I might do some searches to see if I can find any better info on this light head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I apologize if I seem like a d*ck, but I've said this before, when there are so many lights that are similar, we need to be sure we're comparing apples to apples.

Yes they're similar vanwo23, but there are differences, and to us light geeks in this forum, those small differences matter.

Smooth reflector or OP reflector, length, diameter, weight, battery connectors, run times, number of modes, led tint, modification options, etc, etc.

For you to lump all these lights together simply because they all have an "XML-T6 led" would be like saying that all full suspension bikes are they same.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    LoL wow guys, my apologies. I can understand your point of view if we were comparing two $400 light sets. But no I don't think there is really any difference between these lights, even despite what they say on the vague spec sheets listed, except maybe the battery packs, I'll give you that much. But, Like I mentioned I have compared several of these "different" ebay lights in person and yes they are the "same" thing.

I guess my main point was like when ordering any china knockoff product...be wary of what your ordering and take the listed specs with a grain of salt because it may not be exactly as advertised. Wasn't trying to get under anyone's skin.
    14' Specialized Crave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    Curious if anyone has one of these?
    XM-L T6 bike light CREE T6 1000LM 4*18650 4 Mode | eBay

I'm kind of intrigued by its smaller size (claimed elsewhere to be 47mm long x 35mm wide, compared to my old Magischine's 53x43mm).

I wonder if that translates into any weight reduction over the old MS too?

I'd be even more intrigued if it had an orange peel reflector.
    In keeping with your question I don't see where you got the dimensional listing. I've seen lamps with similar appearance sold elsewhere but I can't find the size listing to compare. You have a link to where you got the size listing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Here is a flee bay listing that actually says mini T6 bike light and looks like a clone of the same size however.

Says 91 grams. Is that indeed lighter and possibly smaller than the regular closes and MS.

Mini CREE LED XML XM-L T6 LED 1600Lm Bicycle Light Bike Lamp HeadLight headLamp | eBay

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    From another auction sight listing:

Specifications:
    Lamp Size:47mm35mm(LD)

BRAND NEW 1800lm CREE XM-L T6 LED Bike Bicycle Light Headlamp+Battery+charger | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Says 91 grams. Is that indeed lighter and possibly smaller than the regular closes and MS.
    Mini CREE LED XML XM-L T6 LED 1600Lm Bicycle Light Bike Lamp HeadLight headLamp | eBay
    If it really is 91 grams, then yes that is lighter then my Magicshine P7 which is 131g for just the lighthead/cord.

This light is usually listed for around $37 from what I can see, but there is one ebayer that has them at a "buy it now" of $25 with free shipping. I'm just gonna take the gamble and order it. I'll post the measurements when I get it.

mtbr member
    fightnut what's the link for the $25 listing? I can't find it...maybe you already bought it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My concern about a lighter light is that it may not have the thermal capacity to handle the heat. Worse yet, it might have a design that doesn't allow heat to flow well into the body.

That's just speculation, but as with any chinese light, I recommend taking it apart to study the design before using it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    91 grams is plenty of mass for the ~9W output, it is more important how much fin area they have achieved with the 91 grams of alum.

My current bar light is ~18W and weighs 105 grams and my helmet light is ~6W and weighs 26 grams. Both stay nicely cool with moderate airflow on high setting. On medium or low they'll run with no airflow and not overheat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    91 grams can be enough mass, I'll agree with you there. Fin area may be more important, but not nearly as important as how the pill attaches to the body. That's why if we're going to review and recommend these lights, it's just as important to have pictures of the disassembled interior components as it is to have pictures of the exterior. Actually, it's more important since virtually every vendor already provides pictures of the exterior, but very few have sufficient pictures of the interior of their lights. I'll be reviewing two new lights soon, and I'll provide disassembled pictures of my lights.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    fightnut,

Did you get the Mini Cree light yet?
    I'm just gonna take the gamble and order it.
    Just curious on your thoughts? Beam, size etc?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    No, I didn't. The b*stards raised the price! I had it in my "watch item" list at $25 and when I decided to order it, they had raised it to $37.99 (mid auction, didn't know you could do that!).

So I ended up ordering one of the $50 triple xml's instead.
    But I am still interested in one of these, just watching the auctions for the best price.
    Last edited by fightnut; 10-26-2012 at 04:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have 2 cree lights from China. Both are doing well no complaints or problems. Our group rides at least on nite ride per week ranging from one to three hours depending on time of year. The group has purchased approximately 10 lights from ebay. Some people had issues, but in general everyone that I ride with is happy with the Ebay lights.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Smh. I give up.

Members who have read this thread: 0