Anyone familiar with this MJ-872 lookalike (Zoic)?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Anyone familiar with this MJ-872 lookalike (Zoic)?

Been on the hunt for a good handlebar flood-light el cheapo for several years now. This looks very much like a 872, so I got real interested:

4 XP G R5 LED Headlight Bike Lamp Headtorch Head Band Waterproof Battery Pack | eBay

Anyone familiar with this one? I assume it must be available from china under a different brand.

mtbr member
    Just what you said, It's a 872 clone. Should be a decent bar lamp. It won't have fantastic throw but it will provide a decently wide beam and the throw shouldn't be too bad. Combo this with a good helmet lamp and you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Do a search for "Chinese flood". We had an old thread going about this type of light. A couple of people, including me, bought this light and were happy with it. We bought it from a different vendor though and last time I checked you could get the light for around $15.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thank you for the swift replies! Knowing that the 872 is a pretty old design, is there something more current with a similar beam pattern that you could recommend (in the $30-40 range)? I prefer ebay dealers located in China/HK if possible, that usually means hassle free shipping to Sweden in my experience.

For example, how does the Solarstorm X3 compare?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    From what I have read on the forum, the Nitefighter BT40 is a better version of this light. I don't own one personally, but the people who bought it were very pleased with it. There's several threads about it. I can't make any comment on how it compares to the Solarstorm X3. I believe the X3 probably throws farther and has more of a hot spot, but I'm not sure.

Here's a good place to buy it from.
    Nitefighter BT40S Cree XP - G2 1600lm Neutral White LED Bicycle Light Bike Headlamp-32.72 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

Other light to consider are the Yinding, the Nitefighter BT21 and BT70 (needs a very good battery) and the Solarstorm XT40 and X3's. In an slightly higher price category I would go with the Glowworm, Gemini, or upper end Magishine lights.

If you aren't in a hurry, I would wait to see the details on the new Magicshine lights.

Also think about what color/tone of light you would like. In the past we only had the one choice of cool-white. In the past year, members of this forum have convinced manufacturers to offer a second option of neutral white. It's a bit easier on the eyes.

RAKC
    Im with Cat, another member here has a clone version and a bt40s, says the bt40s was far better performing and quality. The Zoic one may be a renamed bt40, hard to tell. But we usually go with what we know when it costs more than $20-25.

And though it has a familiar brand name, their lights are all nothing more than their brand stamped on a host of Chinese clones. Personally id just go the nitefighter version, especially when it uses newer version emitters and a brand name quality battery pack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks again for the help, just ordered a BT40s lamp body from gearbest. What kind of battery capacity do I need if I want 2h runtime at full strength? There are some very cheap 8- and even 10-cell battery packs on ebay, the mAh-ratings are obviously bs, but what kind of real life capacity could one expect from a $25 10-cell "17800mAh" pack? Is it better to go with a quality 4-cell 6000mAh from Hunk Lee? Physical size is of less importance to me. And also, does the BT40s have a regular magicshine connector or a threaded one?

RAKC
    You could have saved yourself all that and just ordered the kit, it comes with brand name (BAK) cells.

Everything you want to know about the light is in the bt40s review thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Oh bummer I just figured that I already had four or five mediocre 4-cell batteries lying around. Do they sell that one separately?

RAKC
    They use magicshine style connectors so you can use what you have, your post made it sound like you had no batteries or charger or anything. But steer clear of those cheap packs on eBay. Not worth the trouble especially when they are good for putting fake cells in them and everything else. Good packs can be had as you said from hunk lee or mtbrevolution.com (xeccon). Action-led is a bit more expensive but they are in the states.