Amoebas for Downhill- Mtbr.com
    Woohooo! Moderator

Amoebas for Downhill

When I bought my Amoebas early this year, I wanted to be able to ride downhill trails and not feel like I was exceeding the speed of my lights. Last Saturday night I had my first opportunity to really put them to the test at Angelfire so I thought I would put up a review. My setup is a custom bar mount with two floods and two spots, plus I'm running two floods on my helmet mount.

I was at Angelfire for the first annual Angelfire Freeride Festival, and they ran the lifts from 10am - 8pm. I got on the very last chair at 8:00 for my 14th run of the day. Th bike patrol looks for volenteers to help with the mountian sweep, and I volenteered to ride Duke which is a rocky blue run with a few high speed sections that go right down the ski run.

I had stashed the Amoebas in my Camelbak when we stopped for dinner, and I really appreciated their small size and light weight battery packs. I didn't even notice they were in my pack until I took them out put them on my bike. This is the first night ride I've done for months now, and I was surprised again at how bright they were when I put turned them on. I love light weight Li-on batteries and LED lights!!!

On the run itself, the conditions went from dusk to full on dark. It starts off with a rocky entrance littered with death cookies on the ski run, and quickly jukes into the trees. In the trees, there are lots of imbeded rocks and roots where picking a line is important. The flood/spot combo on my bars provided plenty of light to see what was coming, and my the floods on my helmet were great for fine tuning my line when my bars were turned.

After a mile or so of trees, the trail enters another ski run so I got a good test of high speed on the Amoebas. Here is where having the spots on my bars was really helpful since the trail was pretty straight, and they really lit up a long way out. I don't think my speed was any slower at night than it was on those sections during the day.

I didn't get any pictures since I was trying to get down to the free beer before the keg went dry, but I'm planning on doing the Angelfire Final Descent (12 hour endurance DH race) in October so I'll be doing a lot more practicing between now and then. I'll continue to update this thread and put up training run pictures.

In the meantime, I give the Amoebas 5 flaming chillies after my first taste of night resort riding!

Light freak
    Yeah buddy!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0