Alien Eye Home Built 5 W LED- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Alien Eye Home Built 5 W LED

The Alien Eye home built Mtn bike light from standard components.

www.alieneye.info

LED Lamp: Edison Opto 5 W MR16 LED
    1100 Lux @ 1 meter
    200 Lumen
    10 beam angle, cool white (6400-6800K) or ultra cool while (6800-7200K)
    Edison Opto part number E L16-5 1 W "6800-7200K" ,
    Input voltage: 10-15V
    530 mA current draw
    Run time 4:30 hr with 10x 2300 mah NiMh rechargeable, 4:00 hr with 8x 2300 mah NiMh
    LED L70% is 25,000 hours. I doubt the LED will burn out during your life time bike riding.
    Lens Outside Diameter 50 mm

Lamps with the 38 beam could be used as a second light for better angular coverage at night. The Edison Opto Lamps come in 10, 38 and 60 models. I find the 10 the best overall angle.

Mounting: Lamp quickly disconnects from handle bar clamp. Lamp can be rotated with friction side to side on the handle bar clamp for about +/- 15. Handle bar clamp can be assembled without tools.

The design concept for the Alien Eye was to take standard materials and make a low cost yet powerful mountain bike lighting system. The Edison Opto lamp is a high quality LED lamp with a diecast aluminum housing to facilitate heat transfer.. The LED is fixed to the bottom of the diecasting and a plastic lens focuses the beam. The lens is held in with a small plastic ring and three small screws. You need a very fine phillips head screw driver to remove the screws. Attached to the aluminum housing is a white plastic housing that adapts to the GU5.3 standard lamp mount. Buried in the white plastic housing is the small electronic package to drive the light. From this electronic package in the plastic housing, two wires run through holes in the base of the aluminum housing to the LED chip.

The Edison Opto LED lamp is rated for constant use in non totally enclosed in-door situations. In this case, the Alien Eye has the advantage being more open than most in-door lighting applications it has the additional advantage of being cooled by the airflow while riding the bike. The Alien Eye has no chance of overheating and therefore there is no need for temperature sensors and special circuitry.

I have a lot of experience with this lamp in the "Tubelight" design www.tubelight.info . The Edison Opto LED is very robust. Due to my own failure, the light has fallen off the bike onto the pavement several times and continues to operate. This LED can take a lot of shock. I take an Alien with me on day time rides on the road bike just to test the shock capability of the light and mouting.

The Alien Eye is formed with glass fiber reinforced Fimo polymer molding clay or with Milliput Black two part epoxy putty.

See website www.alieneye.info for all the plans on how to build your own lamp.

Whoz

mtbr member
    I'm not a big fan of the ready made LED bulbs but you have done a fantastic job here.
    Can the bulb be made waterproof?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    I'm not a big fan of the ready made LED bulbs but you have done a fantastic job here.
    Can the bulb be made waterproof?
    Thanks for the nice words. The LED bulb is rock solid. It has fallen off my bike several times on the pavement when I did not attach it right. It lives on. I found many cheap bulbs too, but my opinion this bulb is the best quality I have seen in the MR16 format.

Waterproof: How waterproof? A fine bead of silicon rubber will seal off the lens, but you will never make it sealed well enough to go swimming with it. The switch is still exposed but it is in an orientation that should keep water from collecting in it. I see the light has a low cost, bright light for opportunist riding, that is people who don't go seeking to ride in the pouring rain. There is always the sandwich bag rain coat for the lamp too.

A full water proof light was not a design criteria for me for this project.

Whoz

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm going to have to build one of these....

Anyone know a US version of the Fimo polymer molding clay?

mtbr member
    You can get the Fimo in the USA. Look on Ebay. If you need a Edison Opto lamp, let me know. I have not found them in the USA but I was thinking of having some lamps shipped to my brother and he can sell them in the US. I live in Germany right now.

I was thinking of selling a kit. Anyone interesting in buying a kit?

Whoz

[email protected]

mtbr member
    Don't forget using the Milliput option if you want a black lamp.
    www.alieneye.info/milliput.html

Whoz
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    could have swore I was in the not DIY light section

mtbr member
    Edison Opto is opening up distribution in the US so the lamps should be available soon.
    Last edited by whoz; 08-31-2009 at 01:05 PM.

mtbr member

Alien Eye Helmet Mount

I received the Cateye Helmet straps for the Alien Eye today.

Members who have read this thread: 0