Advice needed: Any experience with Sigma PowerLED Evo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Advice needed: Any experience with Sigma PowerLED Evo?

I'm new to night riding, but want to be prepared to get into it as the days get shorter.

I picked up a couple of these on the Clymb, but don't see them in the mtbr light test. I'm wondering if they are worth keeping:
    SIGMA SPORTŪ online - Bike Computer, Puls Computer, Beleuchtung

Features, according to Sigma:

Multi-chip LED technology
    Extreme light output up to 900 lumens
    Extra long burn time with constant brightness (3 h/1.5 h power, 5 h/2.5 h standard-, 11 h/5.5 h energy-saving mode with IION XL/IION)
    4 modes: energy saving, standard, power and flashing mode
    Extremely durable aluminum housing
    Watertight
    Multi-stage battery capacity indicator
    Tool-free click-mounting (uni-fit 22-32 mm)
    Horizontally adjustable
    Switch on protection (double click for ON)
    Incl. IION XL (IION compatible)
    Low weight: 140 g
    Helmet bracket - included

Any thoughts appreciated: Is 250 bucks for 1800 lumens pretty reasonable? I have no idea how to evaluate their quality beyond that claim, so any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks for any thoughts!
    Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemikemike View Post
    ....Any thoughts appreciated: Is 250 bucks for 1800 lumens pretty reasonable? I have no idea how to evaluate their quality beyond that claim, so any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks for any thoughts!
    Mike
    3M...mixed thoughts. The sale price is listed as $199 for one. If you are getting 2 for $250 that is still a bit high but not bad. $200 for one is too high though IMO.

My concerns about the Evo : No mention is made of what emitters are being used. I question the durability of the handlebar clamp used. This looks like the same clamp used on my Sigma quadro mini lamp. The Sigma Quadro is just your basic 4led mini torch like lamp ( only about 40 lumen output ). As such it is relatively small and light weight, your basic "see me" lamp. The clamp works very well on it but but I have better stuff so I've only used it a couple times. Now if you use that same type of clamp on a bigger/heavier lamp I'm not sure how long it would be before the teeth on the clamp wear out. Seeing the plastic teeth are all that holds the clamp together if the teeth fail the lamp will either slip or ( worse case ) completely fall off the bike. ...Just saying.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks for this input. Yes, looking at it the handlebar mount does look a little less than bomber. Perhaps I'll keep one for the helmet, and get another for hte handlebar.

Is there a consensus about the best lights out there and/or the best value? The big shootout seems not to give a bottom line?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Based on the 900 lumen claim and "multi-chip emitter", it is almost certainly an SSC P7. Kind of old school but still a pretty strong performer. 750 lumen real output would be typical for this emitter after thermal and optical losses.

Unless these have some terrific batteries or terrific support/warrantee through Sigma, they're kind of expensive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    believe this light was recently reviewed by Dirtrag and bike mag, fyi.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshG View Post
    believe this light was recently reviewed by Dirtrag and bike mag, fyi.
    Didn't catch either - do you have a quick synopsis or recall whether they were positive?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    A few of the bikers in the club use the evo, it is verry bright, bright enough to use as a single emiiter, and even single emiiter on the bars you can do al lot of stuff!
    In combination with the cheaper karma on the helmet it allows me to ride anywhere at any speed, but there are ligths that have a much higher output!

Previous year, I and the people around us had the impression the evo it didn't reach the same output as the lupine piko 750 lumens.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Bike said:
    at 900 lumens lower than others in their test, but at $250 could buy two for the price of the others
    equally at home on bars or helmet
    mounts for both were some of their favorite for ease of use
    very light system, y splitter available if want two lights
    light pattern rather concentrated
    hard to find better budget option

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    dirtrag:
    3 hrs on hi
    -al housing feels solid
    -double click to not turn on by accident
    -helmet mount stiff & bouncy,