ACEBEAM BK10 Bike Headlight [Rechargeable]- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

ACEBEAM BK10 Bike Headlight [Rechargeable]

In keeping with the "self-contained" theme, which seems to be very popular right now, I thought I'd start a post on the ACEBEAM BK10. ( saw this on Amazon ).

This looks interesting although I hate the U.I. ( they should have left out the S.O.S. function which is so torch like. Nevertheless if you can over-look the U.I. there are some interesting features. In a nut shell; uses the Cree XHP70.2 emitter ( output 2000 lumen ) and is using a ( claimed ) 5100mAh 21700 Li-ion cell to power this torch like bike light. Although it's not mentioned I think this means you can replace the battery ( looks like the back might come off ) but I'm not sure.

In addition there is a very interesting rippled front lens design. The rippled lens is designed to widen the beam pattern and to create a type of cut-off beam pattern. Price ( once again ) is a bit high but considering the use of a replaceable 21700 battery and all the mounts it includes, this might indeed make for an interesting road / commuting option assuming of course that the beam pattern is as wide and far throwing as the ad photo would indicate. I'd love to try one of these out but my Star Trek Enterprise Credit Card has raised it's shields to prevent me from buying another bike light. ( Spock, Spock...help me Spock! )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    my Star Trek Enterprise Credit Card has raised it's shields
    They don't have any need for money in the 24th century.
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Money

I think you need one of these:

But hopefully they still have bicycles in the 24th century, and maybe they are still using 21700s.

That uses an XHP35, max lumens 1700, not the 2000 quoted. Looks nice though.

EAT MORE GRIME
    after the oled display of the fenix bc30r I'll never use another light w/o such display

just too damn addicted to the hours/mins counter which is a huge stress reducer on trail wondering on batt status with simpler red/yellow/green indicators
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    after the oled display of the fenix bc30r I'll never use another light w/o such display

just too damn addicted to the hours/mins counter which is a huge stress reducer on trail wondering on batt status with simpler red/yellow/green indicators
    When it comes to bike lights with self-contained ( non-serviceable ) batteries I have to agree with you 100%. This is one of the reasons I love the Raveman CR-900 and PR-1200 ( both with digital displays giving the user a number regarding "run time left" )

If, on the other hand, the Acebeam lamp has a removable battery, that in and of itself allows the user to carry a back up battery thus removing any fear of running out of battery juice.

Now the draw back of the Acebeam is that they really screwed the U.I. They should have just limited the highest output to 1200 lumen ( 1.5 hrs ) and then had lower modes more like; 800 lumen ( 2hrs ) 600 lumen (2.5 hrs )...350 lumen...etc. Then add a remote control and make sure there is no SOS mode in the user interface ( U.I. ) ( note; my time est. are just that, ballpark estimates )

Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    They don't have any need for money in the 24th century.
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Money

But hopefully they still have bicycles in the 24th century, and maybe they are still using 21700s.

That uses an XHP35, max lumens 1700, not the 2000 quoted. Looks nice though.
    Great come back. Ah, I could talk for hours on what our world would look like without a form of currency ( but I won't ). I'll just say that without some form of currency the highest form of motivation then becomes the point of a gun.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Apparently the cell is easily removable.

It's probably a 6000k emitter, hopefully its not glued together too badly as there is a good selection of xhp35 emitters available. If the sense resistor can be changed to get high down to 800 lumens the mode spacing would look better. That would also put the xhp35 in a more efficient range cutting down on heat and helping runtime.

A 21700 cell is 70 grams, this might make a decent helmet light.

Now that xhp50's are readily available in 3v and the Luminous sst-40 can finally be found in 5000k I wonder if we can home brew a light that suits us better. 21700 cells are plentiful and hold a higher voltage during discharge compared to the 18650's.

Convoy has been releasing new lights and are now a good source of batteries drivers and emitters. They have 21700 versions of the S2+ and C8, I'm hoping for an M1 or s2 equivalent. Then we just need to find a family of optics so we can change the beam angle and find someone to make a suitable spacer to make it fit.

https://convoy.aliexpress.com/store/...64cd3cf1aV8jY9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    Apparently the cell is easily removable.

It's probably a 6000k emitter, hopefully its not glued together too badly as there is a good selection of xhp35 emitters available. If the sense resistor can be changed to get high down to 800 lumens the mode spacing would look better. That would also put the xhp35 in a more efficient range cutting down on heat and helping runtime.

Now that xhp50's are readily available in 3v and the Luminous sst-40 can finally be found in 5000k I wonder if we can home brew a light that suits us better. 21700 cells are plentiful and hold a higher voltage during discharge compared to the 18650's.

Convoy has been releasing new lights and are now a good source of batteries drivers and emitters. They have 21700 versions of the S2+ and C8, I'm hoping for an M1 or s2 equivalent. Then we just need to find a family of optics so we can change the beam angle and find someone to make a suitable spacer to make it fit.

https://convoy.aliexpress.com/store/...64cd3cf1aV8jY9
    Thank you for your informative post. Nice to hear the Acebeam 21700 cell is easily removable. Do you have a link for the Convoy S2 with 21700. I did see a C8 version on Banggood. I'm a big Convoy fan. I also agree a 20/21700 version of the Convoy M1 would be sweet. The M1 continues to be my favorite helmet torch. Fantastic throw and great over-all beam pattern for a single emitter torch. The S2 I use on my MTB bars as a back up. Not a big deal for me to own a 21700 version of the S2 because I don't use it that much but a 21700 M1 would be fantastic. Still, likely it would add some extra weight on the lid...which...all things considered I might find unacceptable.

Edit** Sorry, forgot you already included a link. Still not easy finding stuff on Aliexpress.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Hi,
    coz i use it now for ~2 months some infos.

It's probably a 6000k emitter, hopefully its not glued together too badly as there is a good selection of xhp35 emitters available.
    Acebeam offers itself a 6000K and a 5000K Version of the Light.

6000K= typical low CRI ,Cool White LED, What makes the Typical White/Blueish Light in Front of you.
    about the Blue peaks itself, its looks typical unreal/not natural, have high Selfblinding Effekt and destroys the Night Vision from Your Eyes.
    About The Low CRI of Cool LEDs you have no Kontrasts from Objekts on Your Way.
    So overall a bad decision vor a Street Light.

5000K= Pur White light, looks mor Natural light.
    about the higher CRI Value and lower Blue spikes, it gives you better night vision, more contrast more visibilyty over all.

coz Acebeam not offers warmer light , Skylumen decide to offers a better option.

4000K= near no blue Peak much higher CRI value and the Cooler Temperatur looks absolut natural like on a Sunny day, gives the best Performance for a pur Street Light.

Skylumen offers the 2 Basic lights or the 4000K Version on that he only Swap the LED.

18650 cell have ~45 grams and ~3000mah of usable capacity
    21700 cell have ~64 grams and ~5000mah of usable capacity

You can use both in the Acebeam, for 18650 you need only a sleeve.

Now that xhp50's are readily available in 3v and the Luminous sst-40 can finally be found in 5000k I wonder if we can home brew a light that suits us better.
    The efficiency of an XHP50 is much better the XHP35 HI but for this light ist to big.
    bigger size and the Dome will be a problem, the Lens from the Acebeam is optimized for an XHP35 HI.

an Example on High mode:
    the Acebeam draws 2,3 Amps from the battery to put out in the front 1060 Lumen"light sphere measured"

Thats ~ 8 Watt Power consumption to give you 1060 Lumen in the Front.

An XHP50 will draw 1,8 Amps from a Battery to give same Lumen output, that will be ~6,5 Watts,
    but it not fits in the light.

An XM-L2 LED for example draws 3,5 Amps"13 Watts" from a battery to deliver same Real lumen in front of you, then XHP LED types.

XHP35 Hi was in this light a good decision, i think.

the overall performance is fantastic, if you compare it to other ~1000 Lumen street lights!

example:
    Lupine SL have very Low effciency LED build in with far below 100umen/W and need a 4x18650 battery pack do give you ~2,5 Hours ~1000 Lumens.
    it Draws ~18 Watts for the ~1000 Lumens thats the reason!

The Acebeam need for the same Performance 1060 Lumen for over 2 Hours 1 Cell!!!!!
    The Acebeam is small enouht to fets in any Pocket.

an here some Stats, fakts and measurements:

The light itself gives you a tight and long beam with a nice Cut-off line.
    The Beam itself ist ~4 meter width and runs very long.
    I Like the beam profile very much.

Its a Street light only!!!!

It have 3 Steps in the main mode:
    180 Lumen=0,36 Amps drawing
    400 Lumen=0,67Amps draw
    1060 Lumen=2,3 Amps draw

an mode memory for them.
    Switch of in 400 Lumen= next time turn on will be 400 Lumen.

Ultra Low and Turbo are direkt access modes.
    Stay on the Button= Ultra Low, dopple click= Turbo from any point.

aboutr that you came very fast to any wish brightness and thats the BK10 is not overloaded with usless brightnessstemps is a nice + to.

the driver have a good efficieny value, not perfekt but ok, you see it on Lumen vs Currents.

The driver is Brightness regulated:
    That means, the Voltage goes down the Amps go up to give you on your ride a 100% constant light level.

The high and Turbo a Temp regulated with a Step-Down Point for cooling at ~65C.
    The high mode not need that with air cooling but the Turbo with ~2000 Lumen and 19 Watt energy consumption need that.

at moment the only Street light with a very nice beam profile and a high eff LED typ what gives you heavy runtimes.

i Use the Light most in 400 Lumen"~2 Watt energy consumption" setting and have with it ~7-8 Hours runtime.

Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    on this light not needet coz it not limits you.

If the Battery ist near empty the Light itself make a step-down, what indicates the Battery is near empty.

To change a empy Cell for a Ful cost you 5 seconds of your lifetime.
    i never look on the color indicator.
    That says take a 18650 or 21700 cell with you gives you unlimited rumtime.

but for you explaind the Driver:
    if the battery indicator switch from Green to Red ist means Voltage under 3,6 Volts, what says ~30-40%.

if the Red light indicator starts to blink what is on a Voltage at ~3,1 Volt the light makes a Step-Down to Low mode.

the low you can use to 2,8 Volts than the First Battery safty Protection or LVP kicks in and shut off the light.depending on the Battery Voltage te Runtime Results are different.

If you not have a replacement Battery with you, you can restart the light in Ultra Low with ~40 Lumen down to 2,7 Volt as an emergency light use.

That also says for the BK10 are no Protected Batterys needet, coz the light itselfs does the job.

Coz the light have no Natural enemies at moment ist sad that no infos shared.

Light freak
    Weird - herbs post reads exactly the same as lostplaces post in the OutBound thread. Both are first time posts and include information about AceBeam lights? You sound very intelligent, why try to hide behind two different screen names??

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    You sound very intelligent, why try to hide behind two different screen names??
    Why someone have to hide, behind some specs or measurments?

I have try 3 days ago to register but one day later still nothing work, so i try again to register coz i think i do it wrong.

now at once 1 get bouth unlocked, and try if bouth work.

Thats the secret.

coz i see it now another importend info:
    i read here that a user says Acebeam make a rippled lens to widen the beam.

Thats wrong!

with a simple Lens you can create an typ of beam, long wide whatever.

then why they do it?

its simple answer:

If you check out different cheap streetlight stuff you will notice alot of discoloations , bluish,Yellowish, whiteish from one LED in this Light!!

or visible Light fields with dark Holes an other Artifacts in the beam itself.
    And in Street Lights this is absolutly Ugly stuff.

Acebeam simply decide to smooth the beam a little out"like with a diffuser" to give you a homogeneously, clean light field.
    an with this type of Ripple you dont effekt to much the Cut-off Line.

Thats a very Professional decision, what i have missed on alot of street lights the last years.

I asked Acebeam to Remove the 6000K Version coz its remebers to much on cheap chinese stuff.
    we will see if they do it in the future.

I recommend to only decide between the 5000K or 4000K.

White light lovers take the 5000K
    wo likes more natural light takes the 4000K

to offer 6000K ist not very professionally i find.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Weird - herbs post reads exactly the same as lostplaces post in the OutBound thread. Both are first time posts and include information about AceBeam lights? You sound very intelligent, why try to hide behind two different screen names??
    I have a feeling that i know the user behind that names from a different forum. This user has some knowledge on some topics, on others he is just convinced to have knowledge without having it. Furthermore he thinks that any other manufacturer than acebeam, zebralight or nextorch is an idiot who doesn't know what they do (but of course he knows everything). Also he is convinced that any other LED than a cree XHP is a bad idea in a outdoor lamp. Furthermore he cannot read data sheets properly and cannot understand that an XHP might not be reliable or useful for certain applications.

Best to ignore these posts, as he is not really accessible to arguments and mostly chooses himself to ignore arguments that do not fit to his knowledge...