6 and 7 year olds- Mtbr.com
    I need skills
    Jul 2004

6 and 7 year olds

My boys wanted to go for a night ride. I considered the idea and said yes. They are 6 and 7, ride 8 speed 20" bikes. I put 100 lumen lights on their bars and off we went.

Pitch black single track to logging road. Logging road to a lake where we heard loons calling. Path along the shore we scattered some young ducks into the lake. Heard lots of birds. Cruised through the local campground and then home. 1.5 hour ride.

They were completely jazzed up by the experience. Neither wanted to be in front (too scary). Neither wanted to be last (too creepy). It was waaay past their bedtime, by hours, which made them very proud.

My youngest said, "What an adventure, what an adventure, I can't stop saying what an adventure that was Daddy."

A big concern of mine, now, is getting them to ever go to bed on time again.
    C

mtbr member
    Our now-9 year old loves night riding. One of the first things I did with him was to describe how other adults he knows were spooked by the crunching sounds of large animals stalking us in the woods -- which we discovered to be tiny birds moving around in the leaves. He looked for those, and was stoked when he heard the "stalking". I let him lead whenever I can, just to maximize his adventure. We've got his 10-year old buddy addicted, too.

Right now, he's using my old Lume HID bar mount, since there isn't room on his 11" frameset for a bottle-battery needed for an even older Nightsun. As soon as the local shop gets them in stock, we're going to upgrade him to a Magicshine/copy, since they're so much lighter and brighter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Cudo's to you parents for getting your kids out there to experience night riding.Could only emagine the rush of doing that with my old man forty years ago.

Members who have read this thread: 0