5 Chilies for Chelboed!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

5 Chilies for Chelboed!

Got my new double barrel light from Chelboed yesterday. I love it!
    I went for a 10 mile ride last night on the pitch black back roads to test it out and I could not be happier! Mounted on the helmet this light has enough spread to light up the whole width of the road and more than enough throw to see 100'+. It was especially fun scaring the crap out of people driving past not knowing what the hell was coming at them

I can't wait till it gets dark so I can go again!

Also, got to give props to Chelboed! You did a hell of a job!
    Thank you!

You can check out the light here along with the beam shot for all you beam shot snobs
    I will post some of my own pics soon.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=280343

mtbr member
    I couldn't see from the CPF posting, but does he sell these, and if so where is the site?

They look great.

Thanks

Tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMarco1
    Got my new double barrel light from Chelboed yesterday. I love it!
    I went for a 10 mile ride last night on the pitch black back roads to test it out and I could not be happier! Mounted on the helmet this light has enough spread to light up the whole width of the road and more than enough throw to see 100'+. It was especially fun scaring the crap out of people driving past not knowing what the hell was coming at them

I can't wait till it gets dark so I can go again!

Also, got to give props to Chelboed! You did a hell of a job!
    Thank you!

You can check out the light here along with the beam shot for all you beam shot snobs
    I will post some of my own pics soon.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=280343
    Has to be with out a doubt, one of the nicest beam pattern's i've seen. Nice light.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Actually I had messaged him a while ago asking if he sold these and he told me they were pretty much for personal use. He messaged me last week and told me he was selling them so I jumped on it! $150 for a 700 lumen light, li ion battery, smart charger and shipped to-boot. Deal of the century!

If he made more of these I think he would have quite a business! Ay up killers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Singapore
    Mar 2009
    totally wicked!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Glad you're diggin it, man. That was def. my favorite light so far. You had messaged me regarding another battery...I haven't gotten back to you yet, I think.

The battery is remarkable in itself. Normally I build my batteries cell-per-cell...and solder in the protection circuit myself, but batteryspace.com has a pre-built battery that is actually cheaper than the cost of the parts to build one.

Your setup is here:

http://www.batteryspace.com/Polymer-....8A-Smart.aspx

You can get a seperate battery here:

http://www.batteryspace.com/polymerl...wh42arate.aspx

And the Trailtech Connectores here:

http://www.batteryspace.com/trail-te...withcable.aspx

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You'll notice on that lead wire coming out of the light...where the heat-shrink tubing covers the connector...the wire is folded over to make it shorter. I did it that way so you could have a little longer wire if need be. If you decided in the future to use it on a Moto helmet or some sort of other mounting...just cut off the heat-shrink tube, stretch the wire back out, and throw a new piece of heat-shrink back on it. Right now, it's perfect for MTB'ing though.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Oh yeah...one more thing...regarding battery voltage. That light is using a driver that allows you to run up to 32 volts.

http://ledsupply.com/wired-buckpuck.php

If you have other battery packs laying around, as long as the max voltage doesn't exceed 32v, you can use it. Just use the proper connector. (+ is center) This means that you can use your Lithium 18v drill batteries...7.4v Magicshine batteries, etc...

It is wise to use a battery with at least 1 more volt than the LED's which are 7.4v series so you get constant current and no dimming toward the end of your ride, but I've used that light with a 7.4v battery and it worked really, really well. You just notice that it starts to dim toward the end of the battery cycle.

If you need any help widdit...lemme know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    To the others...I'm in the middle of moving to a new house and job...so everything is stinkin' hectic. My borrowed lathe has been returned to the owner, so I don't have a way to build at the moment. Sorry for that.

I do have a triple-hex 1100 lumen light for sale. I had an agreement with a forum member, but for some reason he's dropped off the face of the planet so I'm gonna put it out there for ya.

It's a bit different than the double barrel that I sold to JAMarco. This light has 3 emitters instead of two. It has 3 modes instead of one. (L/M/H) It uses optics instead of reflectors...therefore it gives a more "floody" beam than the throw of the double barrel Regina light. IMO it's a good helmet mount light, but a KILLAH handlbar mounted light. I was running it on the bars with the double on the helmet...and it was like I was in daylight.

Anyhoo...it costs a bit more to produce, so it'll be $200. Still a fantastic light for the coin.

The battery lasts for 2hr 45min and is smaller than a MagicShine battery. The light itself is probably 1/2 the size of a MagicShine.

Here's a pic of it...it's the one right next to the MagicShine in the picture:

Finished product:

Here's a beamshot from a light that uses the MagicShine emitter...but is actually brighter than the Magicshine:
    https://lux-rc.com/thumb.php?cx=200&...e/labtest3.jpg

Here's a beamshot from this triple-hex light:
    https://lux-rc.com/thumb.php?cx=200&...e/labtest4.jpg

If anyone's interested, first PM get's it for 2 bills.

It comes with:

L-Bracket helmet mount pictured
    Lupine bar mount (o-ring style)
    1hr 10min small battery
    2hr 45min battery
    LiIon Smart charger

The L-Mount bracket needs to be set with an allen wrench...if you pivot the light w/o re-tightening it...it will be loose. I guess you could put some thread locker on the screw, but I didn't want to make it that permanent.

If ya figure a Lupine Wilma running about $750...this is a good deal, LOL.

Food for thought.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    To the others...I'm in the middle of moving to a new house and job...so everything is stinkin' hectic. My borrowed lathe has been returned to the owner, so I don't have a way to build at the moment. Sorry for that.

I do have a triple-hex 1100 lumen light for sale. I had an agreement with a forum member, but for some reason he's dropped off the face of the planet so I'm gonna put it out there for ya.

It's a bit different than the double barrel that I sold to JAMarco. This light has 3 emitters instead of two. It has 3 modes instead of one. (L/M/H) It uses optics instead of reflectors...therefore it gives a more "floody" beam than the throw of the double barrel Regina light. IMO it's a good helmet mount light, but a KILLAH handlbar mounted light. I was running it on the bars with the double on the helmet...and it was like I was in daylight.

Anyhoo...it costs a bit more to produce, so it'll be $200. Still a fantastic light for the coin.

The battery lasts for 2hr 45min and is smaller than a MagicShine battery. The light itself is probably 1/2 the size of a MagicShine.

Here's a pic of it...it's the one right next to the MagicShine in the picture:

Finished product:

Here's a beamshot from a light that uses the MagicShine emitter...but is actually brighter than the Magicshine:
    https://lux-rc.com/thumb.php?cx=200&...e/labtest3.jpg

Here's a beamshot from this triple-hex light:
    https://lux-rc.com/thumb.php?cx=200&...e/labtest4.jpg

If anyone's interested, first PM get's it for 2 bills.

It comes with:

L-Bracket helmet mount pictured
    Lupine bar mount (o-ring style)
    1hr 10min small battery
    2hr 45min battery
    LiIon Smart charger

The L-Mount bracket needs to be set with an allen wrench...if you pivot the light w/o re-tightening it...it will be loose. I guess you could put some thread locker on the screw, but I didn't want to make it that permanent.

If ya figure a Lupine Wilma running about $750...this is a good deal, LOL.

Food for thought.
    Damn.... I want this one too!
    Should I buy it now and deal with the wrath later?
    Desicions Desicions...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    chelboed, once you get setttled into your new place, you NEED to start making these for sale!

They are great looking, and the prices you've charged so far are a great deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks.

The triple is sold.

Incidentally...I do have a micro single 350 lumen light that is barely larger than a quarter. The battery is about the size of a dingleberry, LOL. 1.5hr run time.

Only wanting $90 for it.

The whole setup is really light weight. Barely even feel it on the helmet:

Granted...it's not the "heater" that the double and triple are...but it's adequate for people who traverse trails at night instead of shredding the gnar. I've used it as my only light several times. If you figure that the Cygolite Milion is like 150-200 lumens...this thing is much less chunky, 20-40 bucks cheaper, and depending on which Milion you compare to...150-200 lumens brighter...which would be 40-60% brighter.

Light with mount
    1.5hr battery
    LiIon smart charger
    It'd be pretty easy to build a 4 or 8hr battery for this one.
    Last edited by chelboed; 09-12-2010 at 07:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Here's a beamshot post if you're interested...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...04&postcount=1

It compares:
    MagicShine
    Custom Hot-rodded MTE SSC P7
    My single Micro XP-G
    Double Barrel XP-G
    Triple Hex XP-G
    And a silly-bright Trustfire TR 1200 flashlight that is insanely bright...it will rival a whole army of Maglites, LOL.

mtbr member
    PM sent.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    LOL...PM recieved. Actually, somebody beat you to it...but they were looking for a warmer tint emitter so it's reserved for ya through Friday.

ed

mtbr member

I like the super-white temp of the light myself, so this will work out great.

mtbr member
    Here's the little guy mounted to my S-Works helmet. It's awesome! Great job on it, Ed!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hey Chelboed, just in case you do start making these for sale at some point, I had a thought about that mount.

Instead of just the 2 "hooks" on the sides (where the rubber o-ring hooks to), if you made them with hooks on all 4 sides, it would be more versatile, giving people more mounting options.

Like in the photos above. On that helmet the o-ring could go front to back around that center vent bridge.

That would also make it possible to mount to a handlebar (maybe with just a little piece of rubber underneath).

Just thinking out loud.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Heck man...that looks 10x better on your helmet than it ever did on mine. Excellent. Glad it works for you.

Nut: I agree. I had produced the light for myself just to see if I could put a 20mm optic in such a small housing. It was designed for my helmet (Bell Influx). If I were to reproduce them, the mount would need to be different.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Oh yeah...forgot to mention. We had talked about building a bigger battery for it that would last longer than 1.5hrs. That little bugger is around 850 mAh (I believe). You can build a 2000 mAh battery for it that will be totally mountable on the helmet. I doubt you would even feel a weight difference even holding it in your hand.

Using LiPo flat packs instead of RCR123A's...you can get longer run times w/ less bulk than a LiIon.

I've got a little one with a trailtech connector built on to it. I'll see if I can snap a pic for you for size reference. It's about the size of a dollar bill folded in 1/2...and around the 6-10mm thick. No need to have to run it to a jersey pocket. Still very light weight and shaped really nicely for mounting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you figure that the 850mAh lasts around 1j.5hr...then this cute little bugger should last 3-4hrs...and it really weighs squat.

(crappy phone pic...sorry)

mtbr member
    If you figure that the 850mAh lasts around 1j.5hr...then this cute little bugger should last 3-4hrs...and it really weighs squat.

(crappy phone pic...sorry)
    Oh...that's fantastic. I will have to look up the parts for that. Awesome. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The cells I used are from Batteryspace.com:

Polymer Li-Ion Cell: 3.7V, 2000mAh (605060-2C, 7.4Wh, 4.0A rate) - UL Listed (0.6)

And one of these:
    http://www.batteryspace.com/pcbfor74...a-1alimit.aspx

Remember on the Dean connector...(+) is the flat one and (-) is the vertical blade. Just look at the little indicators on the connector that say "(+) and (-)" and wire them just the opposite. (or just use a meter to check your work) If I had seen those marks on there...I wouldn't have to stress this point to you so much, LOL.

Just hate to see a $45 circuit board go "POOF".

mtbr member
    Just hate to see a $45 circuit board go "POOF".
    Me too.

aka bOb
    Holly Cow Chelboed I just popped into this forum just for a quick peek, your lights rock!!! Keep us posted if you start selling again. Awesome work!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0