5 am before work ride- Mtbr.com
    Light freak

5 am before work ride

Here are a couple of photos from this mornings 5 am before work ride. We call ourselves FIFO (First In, First Out). We are loving Daylight Savings Time, means full darkness for our morning rides.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hey scar which tires are you using for this snow/winter rides?
    Anything special like spike tires?

Nice photos

Light freak
    Good Morning Whitedog1, I am running 2.4 Schwalbe Fat Albert's front and rear. They really hook up good. No studded tires (yet). The trails along the Denver Front Range see alot of hikers in the winter. They pack down the trails very nice. Most of the trails start out with a climb and don't stop till you hit the top and turn it around, so not much flat area for the water to stand and freeze. We had just a couple of days when the temp was below freezing during the day but the sunshine was melting the top surface of the snow. The next morning we tried to ride and it was brutal. In just a few days they were good to go. The need for studded tires is really minimum where I do most of my riding. There are just a few day when you are wishing you had studded tires. By the time I start stoking the project fire and making some studded tires, the trails have cleared up just enough not to need them. I am thinking the cost and the time to change out tires ( I don't have extra rims) is not worth my time.

Here is a link to some DIY studded tires I would like to build if I can find a free tire or two http://mplsmtb.blogspot.com/2008/12/...ded-tires.html- . Not ready to starting drilling holes in my Fat Alberts! Thanks for looking at the pictures

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Being that my fingers get numb in the cold and I can't seem to find anything that works to keep them warm, what type of hand warmers are those on your handlebars. LOL

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Jay email sent let me know if you got it
    08 Trance 1

Light freak

Those are my BarMitts, Brah!

What are those things on your bars? Too funny! My hands are always getting cold. Finally figured out that my hands sweat like crazy when I am riding and soaked gloves with just a little bit of wind going over them make for a freezing adventure. I starting poking around the Alaska forums to see what they used for gloves. Most of them used these things, sometimes called Pogis or Bar MItts. One guy said he could ride down to 20 degrees F with no gloves using them. So, one night while sitting out in the garage drinking some Fat Tires, I noticed a couple of jackets and decided to make my own. They rock! No gloves down to 15 degrees is my record so far. Here is the original thread - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=580012

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I think they are pogies.

-john

Members who have read this thread: 0