3D printed light mount for a Bell Super helmet- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: burbskate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    288

    3D printed light mount for a Bell Super helmet

    Hi all,

    I wanted to share my 3D print I created for the Cree type light to direct mount to a Bell Super helmet. It uses the same design of the GoPro adapter that comes with the helmet.





    I have purchased one for myself to test and it works and fits great. You just need the Velcro strap from the GoPro mount.

    If interested, you can purchase here:
    Bell Super Helmet Headlamp Adaptor For CREE type H (5DKGKS535) by burbskate

    Thanks!
    Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

  2. #2
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,139
    Cool idea, but why didn't you just 3d print a gopro mount for it so you could ditch the band mount?

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: burbskate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Cool idea, but why didn't you just 3d print a gopro mount for it so you could ditch the band mount?

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    There is one of those at shape ways too. But adding the a GoPro interface raises the light off of the helmet. I liked keeping it as low as possible.
    Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: burbskate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Cool idea, but why didn't you just 3d print a gopro mount for it so you could ditch the band mount?

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Looking at it again I think I misunderstood what you were saying. I wasn't aware that the curved mount could come off of the bottom of the light. Might need to look into that as it would be a smaller and cheaper piece to produce.

    This was the other one that I saw that interfaces with the GoPro adaptor. I didn't like the extra height that it would add.

    http://shpws.me/Dqn5
    Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

  5. #5
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,139
    Ya that second one (one you just linked) is a fail as well. But it's nothing more than a single screw that removes the plastic mount. That's how we all use the aluminum gopro adapters.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,693
    Quote Originally Posted by burbskate View Post
    .... Might need to look into that as it would be a smaller and cheaper piece to produce.
    [shameless_plug]
    Already available in choice of materials starting at less than half the price of a printed part.
    [/shameless_plug]
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: burbskate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    [shameless_plug]
    Already available in choice of materials starting at less than half the price of a printed part.
    [/shameless_plug]
    Huh?
    Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: burbskate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    288
    I think I found what you were referring to. Oh well... Thought I came up with something cool ...

    http://shpws.me/KNrk
    Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

  9. #9
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,139
    Vancouver makes gopro adapters in abs plastic and aluminum. His adapters are what I was referring to about the aluminum adapters we all use.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: burbskate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Vancouver makes gopro adapters in abs plastic and aluminum. His adapters are what I was referring to about the aluminum adapters we all use.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Ah! Ok. Sorry. Didn't know. Didn't mean to step on any toes.
    Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

  11. #11
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,139
    Oh no worries, you didn't by any means. Always a good thing to see new ideas poping up.

    Like some may be happy to be able to use a band mount for the helmet, so you may have filled a gap since straight gopro adapters are done, someone did an insanely tall gopro adapter for band mount. But you did a direct band mount for a very popular helmet.

    So role with it, see what happens. My original question was simply curiosity behind your thoughts of doing the direct band mount set up? Everyone has an idea with a purpose, I was curious to what yours was.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: burbskate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Oh no worries, you didn't by any means. Always a good thing to see new ideas poping up.

    Like some may be happy to be able to use a band mount for the helmet, so you may have filled a gap since straight gopro adapters are done, someone did an insanely tall gopro adapter for band mount. But you did a direct band mount for a very popular helmet.

    So role with it, see what happens. My original question was simply curiosity behind your thoughts of doing the direct band mount set up? Everyone has an idea with a purpose, I was curious to what yours was.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Funny thing about it is that I didn't even think that the half round piece could come off of the light! Duh!

    I've been a follower of Shapeways for a long time and could never come up with anything to try to create. So this was a good test of my 3d modeling skills and the whole process. It's so cool to have a avenue to create usable objects that otherwise don't exist.

    I will admit, I like the simpler design better!
    Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,693
    Quote Originally Posted by burbskate View Post
    Ah! Ok. Sorry. Didn't know. Didn't mean to step on any toes.
    No toes stepped on at all! Your mount fills a unique need that others may find helpful. I can absolutely see someone using it if they do not have other GoPro stuff and want to be able to use the light on the handlebars sometimes or on the helmet sometimes.

    I threw out my plug so that you might see the link in my signature line and avoid the work and extra cost of designing your own and having Shapeways print it.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: burbskate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    288

    3D printed light mount for a Bell Super helmet

    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    No toes stepped on at all! Your mount fills a unique need that others may find helpful. I can absolutely see someone using it if they do not have other GoPro stuff and want to be able to use the light on the handlebars sometimes or on the helmet sometimes.

    I threw out my plug so that you might see the link in my signature line and avoid the work and extra cost of designing your own and having Shapeways print it.
    Funny. I'm using Tapatalk on the iPhone to view forums and I guess I don't see signatures.

    I've been wanting to try Shapeways for awhile now. Just never had anything I wanted to make until now.

    Do you 3D print your own stuff in house?

    What's your website?
    Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,693
    Quote Originally Posted by burbskate View Post
    Funny. I'm using Tapatalk on the iPhone to view forums and I guess I don't see signatures.
    There's also a setting on the page that can block signature lines. My Settings, My Account, General Settings, Thread Display Options

    Quote Originally Posted by burbskate View Post
    Do you 3D print your own stuff in house?

    What's your website?
    No, I CNC mill the parts from bar or plate depending on the part and material choice.

    GoPro adapters for bike lights
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

Similar Threads

  1. Bell Super helmet questions
    By borabora in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2015, 05:22 PM
  2. Bell Super 2R helmet
    By jsalas2 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-17-2014, 08:57 AM
  3. Bell super 2R helmet, where?
    By Loll in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-24-2014, 11:51 PM
  4. Bell Super Helmet
    By in the trees in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 01-30-2014, 01:07 PM
  5. BELL Super, anyone tried theis helmet yet?
    By man w/ one hand in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-17-2013, 12:34 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.