35mm Bar Mount Options?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: garrybunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,840

    35mm Bar Mount Options?

    I'm running 35mm bars now and so as night riding season is here I am looking for 35mm bar mount options. I prefer it be a GoPro style mount, but if I can attach it to the bottom of my BT40S (and others that use a similar single bottom screw) that would be okay too. So what are others with 35mm bars using? Mole? Oh, and I should add that I'm looking for reasonably priced options.

    (Note: I've been away for awhile and might have missed some postings with options.)

    Thanks,
    -Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,800
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    ........Oh, and I should add that I'm looking for reasonably priced options.......
    Takes my offerings out of contention .
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Takes my offerings out of contention .
    Well worth the cost especially if you need a mount that offers horizontal adjustability! Gloworm mounts are also nice (not much cheaper though) and offer vertical mounting options along with better centering of the light in front of the stem (when attached left of the stem).
    Mole

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: garrybunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,840
    I saw both of these options. I'd probably go with Vanc's mount over the gopro. Nothing else eh?

    -Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,723
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    I saw both of these options. I'd probably go with Vanc's mount over the gopro. Nothing else eh?

    -Garry

    Both have their advantages and I like both but good choice. Unfortunately the only generic mounts I've seen are stuck in 31.8 land.
    Mole

  6. #6
    방랑외국인
    Reputation: motard5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    403
    I just bought the K-Edge Go Big On-Center ($45). They also have the regular Go Big Pro for a bit less ($35). They also have a Garmin Combo mounts ($70).

    35mm Bar Mount Options?-k13-1440-niterider2.jpg

    35mm Bar Mount Options?-k13-1420-niterider2.jpg

    35mm Bar Mount Options?-k13-1500c-niterider.jpg

    35mm Bar Mount Options?-k13-1505c_ob.jpg

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: garrybunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,840
    Thanks for posting those options, though they're not "budget friendly". I can't believe we're not seeing Chinese versions of those yet.

    -Garry

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,800
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    .........I can't believe we're not seeing Chinese versions of those yet.
    For a while I was buying 31.8mm Chinese clones of the K-Edge out front mount and re-machining them to fit 35mm bars. I did a few dozen before getting fed up with the widely varying quality I would get in each order and quit selling them. Almost always the screws and threaded holes were very sloppy. Most of them, I would replace the screws with higher grade ones to get a better fit. The GoPro tabs were often out of tolerance resulting in poor fit. I would typically order 6-10 at a time. One time 3/4 of the order needed rework to make them good enough to sell. Once in a while, all the mounts would be usable, but more often there would be 1 or 2 that needed rework of some kind. K-Edge is really high quality stuff and while not cheap, you get what you pay for.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

  9. #9
    방랑외국인
    Reputation: motard5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    Thanks for posting those options, though they're not "budget friendly". I can't believe we're not seeing Chinese versions of those yet.

    -Garry
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    For a while I was buying 31.8mm Chinese clones of the K-Edge out front mount and re-machining them to fit 35mm bars. I did a few dozen before getting fed up with the widely varying quality I would get in each order and quit selling them. Almost always the screws and threaded holes were very sloppy. Most of them, I would replace the screws with higher grade ones to get a better fit. The GoPro tabs were often out of tolerance resulting in poor fit. I would typically order 6-10 at a time. One time 3/4 of the order needed rework to make them good enough to sell. Once in a while, all the mounts would be usable, but more often there would be 1 or 2 that needed rework of some kind. K-Edge is really high quality stuff and while not cheap, you get what you pay for.
    I understood sourcing import products if they are technically superior or nothing is available, but attitudes like this are what enrages many. I don't have a horse in this race, but I scratch my head that you cannot afford $35usd to support a great company like K-Edge (who supports high school NICA programs), and avoid the supply chain environmental disaster that is China.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: garrybunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,840
    I just can't justify that mount being worth $35! Their cost to manufacture it has to be peanuts in comparison. I bet a lot of companies support good causes because their taking in so much profit from their over-priced goods. I'm not saying k-edge should sell it for $5, but at least bring it down to $20!
    Most of my money is going elsewhere; with my limited "play money" I like to get the best bang for my buck.

    -Garry

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,800
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    I just can't justify that mount being worth $35! Their cost to manufacture it has to be peanuts in comparison. I bet a lot of companies support good causes because their taking in so much profit from their over-priced goods......
    I think you are underestimating what it costs to machine those parts. The design time, engineering, CNC programming, anodizing, wages/benefits and so on. Then add to that a CNC machine that is efficient at making those parts will start at ~$100k. I don't know K-Edge's production volume, but it's not in the hundreds of thousands for sure. At the end of it all I don't see them making a killing at it. Making enough to make it worthwhile certainly but over-priced, no way.

    I'm running my little semi-retired machining biz from my shop behind my house so no rent. Machines are fully paid for so no machine payments (though I do allocate money toward future repairs/replacement). Short story, my overhead is very low. I do want to make it worth my while to build stuff and there is no way I could offer mounts like they do for the price they do.

    Comparing the cost of a high quality US made machined product against a low quality Asian made machined product is an apple/oranges comparison.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    135
    Hello,
    this is my solution...start with my old 31,8mm mount made of classic reflector mount

    perfect fit for 31,8 mm bar, but not so good for new 35mm bar standard

    after some grinding with sand paper rolled around 30mm pipe, it came down to the point I consider a good fit





    Perfect fit for original Yinding bike light...seems like original mount

    +
    quality plastic that can bend and not brake
    light weight
    cant damage carbon bar (surface and structure)
    easy and quick mounting
    descrete look
    absolutely no movement
    easy to adjust level pitch
    almost free

    -
    a bit short console
    1-2 hours of DIY labor

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: garrybunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,840
    Thanks for posting your solution! I may just give that a try.

    -Garry

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,470
    Quote Originally Posted by bhocewar View Post
    Hello,
    this is my solution...start with my old 31,8mm mount made of classic reflector mount

    perfect fit for 31,8 mm bar, but not so good for new 35mm bar standard

    after some grinding with sand paper rolled around 30mm pipe, it came down to the point I consider a good fit





    Perfect fit for original Yinding bike light...seems like original mount

    +
    quality plastic that can bend and not brake
    light weight
    cant damage carbon bar (surface and structure)
    easy and quick mounting
    descrete look
    absolutely no movement
    easy to adjust level pitch
    almost free

    -
    a bit short console
    1-2 hours of DIY labor
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    Thanks for posting your solution! I may just give that a try.

    -Garry
    Just as an FYI, those reflector band mounts absolutely come in 35mm size. I'm sure you could beg them from a shop that sells mountain bikes.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    483
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Bi...-/192555345902
    *Inner Diameter: 35mm (Approx.)

    For what it is worth I bought one a year and a half a go of that style for $1.76 from some other seller and it works fine on my 35mm bars.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: garrybunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,840
    Just wanted to follow up that I found this mount on Amazon and ordered it ($14.99 & free shipping as of this writing). It fits my 35mm bars with the "thumbscrew nuts" grabbing just enough threads to feel secure. If you're concerned about that, the screws themselves can easily be replaced with longer ones. The build quality is excellent without any plastic to break. The gopro mount is adjustable with the toothed mechanism being spring loaded from the "lock nut" below. Note that you won't be able to adjust the angle while riding. I tried one of my lights with a vancbiker aluminum gopro mount adapter and it fits nice and snug on this mount. There is also a thin layer of padding on the curved sections.

    Some pics:








    Note that there are some other similar options. This one, which may be questionable for fitting 35mm bars. And this one, which looks very nice, but is pricey.

    -Garry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 35mm Bar Mount Options?-img_20191210_181515426.jpg  

    35mm Bar Mount Options?-img_20191210_181826502.jpg  

    35mm Bar Mount Options?-img_20191210_183027607.jpg  

    35mm Bar Mount Options?-img_20191210_183559503.jpg  

    35mm Bar Mount Options?-img_20191210_183943154.jpg  

    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

Similar Threads

  1. 35mm bar mount for Lezyne Deca Drive 900?
    By jh_on_the_cape in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-24-2016, 08:22 AM
  2. Which 700-1000 lumen 35mm bar mount?
    By jh_on_the_cape in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-09-2015, 08:28 AM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-06-2015, 02:51 PM
  4. O-Ring Style Mount to Clamp/GoPro Style Mount (35mm bars)
    By PHeller in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-13-2014, 01:11 PM
  5. Easton 35mm bar & direct mount stem
    By Whafe in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-29-2012, 02:10 AM

Members who have read this thread: 28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.