2x Light & Motion Seca 2500's or something else?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

2x Light & Motion Seca 2500's or something else?

So it turns out I have to get in pretty good riding shape over the next month or so and I HATE the trainer, so night riding it is! I like to ride fast technical trails, and ideally I don't want to be slowed down much or at all by my lights. Budget is always a concern but achieving my goal is most important.

I can't seem to find any info on beam pattern and color temperature of these Light & Motion Seca 2500's anywhere which is pretty frustrating, I definitely want a neutral/warm LED, I hate cool white led flashlights and refuse to use them at this point.

Would one of these bar mounted be sufficient or should I run 2, 1 bar 1 helmet? I see that lupine is also popular on the high end, but the Wilma is 6000k and that's usually a recipe for headache inducing eye strain for me.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for high quality lights worth looking at that I can get delivered to California quickly? I only have a month and time is ticking.

Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    The Seca is a seriously good lamp, you won't go wrong with one. Two would be pretty overkill IMO unless you just like burning cash.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
    The Seca is a seriously good lamp, you won't go wrong with one. Two would be pretty overkill IMO unless you just like burning cash.
    Awesome, thanks for the reply! If only running one of these lights would you recommend bar or helmet mounting for the best possible results?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bleomycin View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the reply! If only running one of these lights would you recommend bar or helmet mounting for the best possible results?
    I wouldn't take my word specifically. I'm a sucker for bar-only mounted lights (mine are currently available for pre-order on Kickstarter). But I did a demo night with a Seca 2500 and found it plenty good on it's own as a bar mounted light. However some buddies swear by a bar and helmet light combo. So I'd say one on the bar and one on the helmet would be pretty nuts, in a good way!

mtbr member
    Action LED has an upgrade to neutral for the Gloworm lights, and maybe others they sell as well. I can testify to Gloworm lamps having a good light pattern with nice transition between the center of the beam and the periphery.

For both fast and technical riding, go with one on the bar and one on the helmet. This is a no-brainer in ANY fast riding, even road, you don't want everything going black should a lamp fail or battery drain. You can't see a damn thing, even on lit roads your vision takes a few seconds to adjust.

For fast technical, I'd go with something comparable to a Gloworm XS on the bar and an X2 on the helmet. This setup ensures I have light on the trail and where I'm looking, even when I glance at the trail below me after a switchback I'm about to hit. When you look off trail, you need a good light to keep the trail in your periphery.

I've got an X1 as well, but use it only for the road, as eyeballing the road, even around a curve, isn't as critical as on the trail.

The T&M Seca was in the final run against Gloworm when I purchased my current lights three years ago. Gloworm won out due to a superior beam pattern. Search the net, you should be able to find posts with beamshots of the Seca.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I can't seem to find any info on beam pattern and color temperature of these Light & Motion Seca 2500's anywhere which is pretty frustrating, I definitely want a neutral/warm LED, I hate cool white led flashlights and refuse to use them at this point.
    I don't know the light temperature on the seca 2500. For an alternative look at Gemini lights. They are neutral white since 2016 and come with a handy remote that can control multiple lights. When you have tried controlling both lights with the tumb, then there is no going back to fiddeling with a switch on you head or on the lighthead...

There are varied opinion on the actual tint of the new neutral white gemini's. Cat-man-do's guess is 5500K, Action LED lights say 4800K and my own attempt with measuring with a digital camera showed 4450K

I like to ride fast technical trails, and ideally I don't want to be slowed down much or at all by my lights. Budget is always a concern but achieving my goal is most important.

Would one of these bar mounted be sufficient or should I run 2, 1 bar 1 helmet?
    For fast downhill riding on technical trails I would want lights both on helmet and bar. My preference is a powerful floody light at the bar (Titan 4000) and a less powerful complementary one at the helmet (Dou 1500). The light on the head has many important roles: gives some illumination in the shadows of close object created by the bar light, gives light where you point your head (in sharp turns, further down the trail or just below) acts as a backup in case the bar light fails at speed and useful when not on the bike for repairs and stuff.

It's not lupine or L&M quality, but Canadian design made in china. But it seems to be durable by most accounts and I don't fear that the battery and chargers will catch fire...

Recent review:
    Gemini Titan 4000 Lumens MTB light review - BikeRadar

Recent thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...a-1058061.html
    Last edited by Onkelski; 11-23-2017 at 10:02 AM. Reason: wrong link

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I own a L&M Seca 2500 Enduro. I like it a lot! It is powerful, very nice beam pattern with no hot spot. I use it on the handlebar. Since I have this light, I feel I can go at DH speed at night. I also use a 1000 lumen light on my helmet but the Seca is so powerful that it makes my head light useless. I just bought a Gloworm X2 2018 to put on my helmet to have a killer light combo. I am a DH and Enduro rider so I like to ride aggressively in the descents. I think having another Seca 2500 on the helmet would be a bit overkill.
    I donít know the exact color temp of the Seca but I would say that it is on the warm side of cool white.
    I highly recommend the Seca 2500!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MSA rider View Post
    I own a L&M Seca 2500 Enduro. I like it a lot! It is powerful, very nice beam pattern with no hot spot. I use it on the handlebar. Since I have this light, I feel I can go at DH speed at night. I also use a 1000 lumen light on my helmet but the Seca is so powerful that it makes my head light useless. I just bought a Gloworm X2 2018 to put on my helmet to have a killer light combo. I am a DH and Enduro rider so I like to ride aggressively in the descents. I think having another Seca 2500 on the helmet would be a bit overkill.
    I donít know the exact color temp of the Seca but I would say that it is on the warm side of cool white.
    I highly recommend the Seca 2500!
    Awesome, great feedback! Have you had a chance to ride with the GW/Seca combo yet? Did you purchase the GW for the helmet instead of another Seca mainly because you felt an additional Seca wouldn't be worth the extra money or because you think the GW/Seca combo is better overall?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I have not received my X2 yet. Iím sure it will be a great combo. I bought the X2 mostly because it is cheaper but also I think it will be a bit lighter on the helmet.