24hour race, lights?- Mtbr.com
    Loving Life

24hour race, lights?

Im tried the search button but couldn't find anything specific to my question so here goes

Im doing 2 24 hour races this year and Im looking for a helmet mounted light. I was wondering what a good amount of lumens is for a light. I dont need anything crazy bright but I want something that will work well and be bright enough. Im a student so Im looking to spend just under $200 ( if thats possible) and I was wondering if anyone has some recommendations? As well a burn time of at least 3hours would be good, and Im not extremely picky about the weight

Light freak
    Are any of these factors important to you when choosing a light?

1. - Size

2. - Weight

3. - Non proprietary batteries

4. - Customer service

5. - A light that is made by someone who uses their lights on an almost daily basis

and knows the importance of reliability and has the same passion for biking.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...t=47753&cat=27

Loving Life
    would you recommend the spot or flood light if I was to run one on my helmet?

I was thnking to run just the flood, but not too sure

Light freak
    Looks like you are Canada. What is the terrain like? Fast or more technical trails? I am thinking heavily wooded? If so, flood should be the ticket. Here in Colorado and west where the terrain is somewhat more open, less dense, the spot is preferred.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev
    would you recommend the spot or flood light if I was to run one on my helmet?

I was thnking to run just the flood, but not too sure
    It sounds like you do not have a bar light. If not then I would consider a mixed beam, 1 spot optic and 1 flood optic. Since spot and flood are pretty subjective terms in the LED light world YMMV. I use a 2 LED helmet light with a medium beam (tightest optic available in the form factor, but still pretty wide). It is more light and a better beam than the Nightrider halogen systems I used when I did 24hr races.

trail gnome
    Are the two 24 hour races you are referring to Summer Solstice & Hot August Nights? If so, you need something with some throw for the super-fast sections, and some flood for the tight-twisty stuff. Having a floody light on the bars aimed low and more of a spot light on the helmet aimed a little further down the trail I think works well.

I've ridden those 24 hour events before with a Dinotte 400L (400 claimed lumens per light) on the handlebar and one on the helmet and that worked ok. I tried it with just a Dinotte 400L on the helmet, and I didn't find that to be enough light. I've also ridden it with a NiteRider Trinewt (486 claimed lumens) mounted on the helmet and found that to be enough light. But that's me. YMMV.

For your budget, I'd get two MagicShine light sets and put one on the bars and one on the head. Battery runtime on a full charge is over 3 hours. Plenty bright. Under budget.

Have fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I my bring here the P7 light from Geomangear up!

It is also available as racer edition with a second battery for longer runtimes..

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette
    I've also ridden it with a NiteRider Trinewt (486 claimed lumens) mounted on the helmet and found that to be enough light. But that's me. YMMV.
    Vernette-

When you rode with the Trinewt on the helmet did you also have a light on the bars?

I also have a Trinewt + Minewt. On my first 24 race (24Hrs of Moab 2009) I tried the Minewt on the helmet and the Trinewt on the bars and it didn't work well. It seemed to create too many shadows and I couldn't see around things till it was too late........I think the reverse would have been a much better combination.

trail gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by spec306
    When you rode with the Trinewt on the helmet did you also have a light on the bars?
    Just a light on the helmet. Every time I've run a bar/helmet combo, it's been with equally powerful lights, so I haven't run into the situation you described. But what you wrote makes sense.

Cheers,

Ray

Loving Life
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette
    Are the two 24 hour races you are referring to Summer Solstice & Hot August Nights? If so, you need something with some throw for the super-fast sections, and some flood for the tight-twisty stuff. Having a floody light on the bars aimed low and more of a spot light on the helmet aimed a little further down the trail I think works well.

I've ridden those 24 hour events before with a Dinotte 400L (400 claimed lumens per light) on the handlebar and one on the helmet and that worked ok. I tried it with just a Dinotte 400L on the helmet, and I didn't find that to be enough light. I've also ridden it with a NiteRider Trinewt (486 claimed lumens) mounted on the helmet and found that to be enough light. But that's me. YMMV.

For your budget, I'd get two MagicShine light sets and put one on the bars and one on the head. Battery runtime on a full charge is over 3 hours. Plenty bright. Under budget.

Have fun.
    I may try the magic shine, @ $85 can't really go wrong. And if the 900 lumens claimed are true then I would only need one on my helmet...anyone else use the magic shine on the helmet only?

Candlestick Maker
    I may try the magic shine, @ $85 can't really go wrong. And if the 900 lumens claimed are true then I would only need one on my helmet...anyone else use the magic shine on the helmet only?
    I have done just one ms on the helmet. I prefer a bar/helmet combo. With just the helmet light, depth and obstacle perception is poor (due to lack of shadows).
    baker

mtbr member
    As has been discussed here before quoted lumens is a theoretical maximum. Expect off the top of my head 400-550 depending on binning.

Both Scars amoeba and my 500l are brighter than a magic shine

Not that you know what those look like either

GeoMan
    Thanks for the mention Whitedog. Trev most of our racing customers tend to prefer one light on the bars and another on the helmet. We have the new 2300 combo which works nicely with a 1400 lumen light on the bars and a 900 on the helmet, it's in your price range. Let us know if we can help you

Quote Originally Posted by Whitedog1
    I my bring here the P7 light from Geomangear up!

It is also available as racer edition with a second battery for longer runtimes..
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Members who have read this thread: 1