2020 cheap lights thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2020 cheap lights thread

A lot of the products in older discussions about budget lights can no longer be found. Flash in the pan products.

What worthwhile budget lights have you purchased lately that are available as of the last quarter of 2019 at least? Under $50? Under $100?

I noticed that, although NiteRider is not know for "budget" lights, the Lumina 900 Boost can be found for $50.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I noticed that, although NiteRider is not know for "budget" lights, the Lumina 900 Boost can be found for $50.
    That's a deal for a quality light. Mebee I'll get the wife one.
    Lumina 900 Boost

My neighbor just ordered this from KD, I'll post feedback when it comes in:
    BL2S 2 X CREE XM-L2 U3 2200 LUMENS BIKE LIGHT

[edit] Looks like Darth Lefty posted on this light over on the 2018 thread.

BTW:

2020 cheap lights thread-screenshot-2019-10-05-20.48.39.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Sofirn SD05.
    https://www.banggood.com/Sofirn-SD05...r_warehouse=CN

with the code AC19
    it cost 18$

the light delivers with a 5000mah 21700 Batttery ~ 300 lumen in low for 11 Hours or
    in medium mode ~900 Lumen for 3 Hours full regulated!!!
    High mode will be set from a timer after 4 minutes down to medium mode.

with a 4000mah battery you will have near 2,5 Hours Runtime.
    i will make next week screenshot but for example take this for the beam.

you can use 18650 batterys to in the light with lower runtimes.

the beam throws far and is wide so overall great.
    IF the battery becomes near empty ~90% the light ramps down to ~100-150 lumen and make 3 blinks every 2 minutes to indicate you , its near empty and replace it with a full one.
    a great feature to.

this small light outperforms easy my KD2 with a 4x18650 pack with 3200mah Zells!!

BL2S and KD2 are not fully regulated lights they become darker over runtime.

for helmet mount
    https://www.banggood.com/BIKIGHT-Bik...r_warehouse=CN

on the handlebar i am using this types but my version look a little bit ´different.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ezyoutdoor-fl...BRKPE80BRA28NX

NiteRider have no challlangers for the SD05.
    https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...l#post13886770

Niterider lights are not fully regulated like the SD05 so they become darker and darker over time.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostplaces View Post

with a 4000mah battery you will have near 2,5 Hours Runtime.
    i will make next week screenshot but for example take this for the beam.

Maybe you know the answer to something I've been wondering about the testing methods for output charts like this that seem to be commonly available for flashlights (which is cool/awesome!). Do they have any air flow (fan) to cool them and ambient temperature standards + if kept cooler would these lights produce higher sustainable outputs?

Niterider lights are not fully regulated like the SD05 so they become darker and darker over time...
    Unfortunately Nightrider and most of the other single cell lights available are affected by this to different degrees. A few of the better single celll bike lights do have nicer beam patterns (Nightriders newest models are very good and Cygolite) and most have more usable UI programs so I guess you have to choose your poison.

Nice post, lost of good information here!!!
    Mole

mtbr member
    This looks promising and that price is ridiculous. How you used and tested this product, or are you basing this on the manufacturer's claims?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I paid about the same for the 950 boost ($50) from Amazon a year or two ago. It's a little heavy for the helmet but something one can easily get used to. I feel tired neck after a full evening ride -getting used to it now with partial night rides.

The beam is solid and definitely provides enough light.

The niterider did interfere with my cateye wireless bicycle computer. It does not affect my Garmin with wheel sensor (as far as I've seen so far, but only tested -have not ridden a ride with the light running and Garmin recording).

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    This looks promising and that price is ridiculous. How you used and tested this product, or are you basing this on the manufacturer's claims?
    https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-d...re-780122.html

no i measure anythink what i but just for my interesst how much companys are lie in there promises.
    i buy 10 Years ago alot of overprised junk, so i start to check all.
    others here do it to.

or to pick out outstanding lights like the SD05 for example, it outperformces lights in the 100$- 150$+ range easy so a great buy.

mtbr member
    Sofirn SD05.
    https://www.banggood.com/Sofirn-SD05...r_warehouse=CN

with the code AC19 18$
    Still intrigued. It looks like the option from Band Good does not include a 21700 cell. a two-pack of Sofirn 21700 batteries, and a Basen charger ends up being about $46 with that discount. Amazon has a Sofirn SD05 with a single battery and charger for a few bucks less. based on how fast and easy it is to deal with Amazon, I am going to do the latter.

I have some 18650 cells and a charger for them, so those should serve as nice backup power. I have some Twofish blocks, so we'll see if those are big enough to strap the light to my bike.

mtbr member
    I just bought a BL2S from Kaidomain. $40 shipped for the full kit with battery and charger. I'll tell you in a month if it's any good for a ride home and in a few months if I really like it. But it's certainly a lot brighter and less blue than my old Cygolite 300. With a small head unit and remote battery it's more secure on the handlebar too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Hello light gurus!

I'm looking for a self-contained light that won't break the bank - sub $50 including the batteries.
    I don't need anything fancy - 45mins on 800 lumens or so is good enough for me, but the tint must be on the neutral side. I ride mostly technical single tracks with moderate pace and they're not very twisty. I don't ride in full darkness, but the days are getting shorter, so I need some assistance on my way down.
    For now it will be my main source of light, but if I get hooked to night riding I may buy a second source.

I know the NW tint usually means higher price, so if necessary I may increase the budget.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Zayphod View Post

I know the NW tint usually means higher price, so if necessary I may increase the budget.
    Tint color have nothing to do with the price.
    you see it on all lights from kaidomain and the KD2.

alot companys offering there lights in 2,3 or more color options without any difference.

my Trail light last year was the Emisar D4S and all colors cost same price.
    only XP-L HI LED option cost a little bit more about the higher LED Price then SST-20.

my light this year will be the Astrolux mf01 mini if the start shippping it next week and same, all colors same price.

basicly i agree with you 6000-7000K a horrible light.
    4000K is a dream on the Trail, and if i get 4000K 95 CRI its

i have stopped ~4 Years ago to use cool white bluish light on the streets or in the woods.

Still intrigued. It looks like the option from Band Good does not include a 21700 cell. a two-pack of Sofirn 21700 batteries, and a Basen charger ends up being about $46 with that discount.
    you can use 18650 Batterys to in the light.

cheap 20700/21700 cost ~5$.
    in the past i use this one in lights.
    https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/2170...m-battery.html

i switch to this type cost he losse no sigificant capacity in winter conditions.
    https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/2170...00mah-30a.html

cheap chargers <10$

but you are in right if you not have a charger and batterys you need ~15$ add.
    but not 25$

mtbr member
    $13.50. I just bought the light itself.

The pics in the listing shows one cord...but it actually somes with two connections. One is the standard connector and the other is a USB connector. The wire splits into two. I'll be using the USB connector with a power bank inside the pack. 4.2v/5v USB.

Rode on the street last night and it looks like it works pretty good.

Three settings, Hi/Low/Strobe

2020 cheap lights thread-img_20191009_200957.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3289...75574c4d4GJInu

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Tint color have nothing to do with the price.
    you see it on all lights from kaidomain and the KD2.

alot companys offering there lights in 2,3 or more color options without any difference.

my Trail light last year was the Emisar D4S and all colors cost same price.
    only XP-L HI LED option cost a little bit more about the higher LED Price then SST-20.

my light this year will be the Astrolux mf01 mini if the start shippping it next week and same, all colors same price.

basicly i agree with you 6000-7000K a horrible light.
    4000K is a dream on the Trail, and if i get 4000K 95 CRI its

i have stopped ~4 Years ago to use cool white bluish light on the streets or in the woods.
    So what can you recommend in my case?

Since it will be my first light, probably I should start from the helmet. So something with a narrow beam that goes far? And later something floodier for the bar. Is this the recommended combination?

mtbr member
    For a beginner single light, I'd not go with a super narrow throwy light as you'll be struggling to see your surroundings. For the budget I'd go with a flashlight and a mount. I'd probably recommend the Sofirn SD05 with coupon code (though I've not seen it in action yet): https://m.banggood.com/Sofirn-SD05-X...oaAvUHEALw_wcB . My understanding is that it's on the cooler side of neutral white (or neutral side of cool white). The Sofirn 21700 cells have been tested to be decent. I don't have a 21700 battery charger to recommend (see BLF reviews for reputable/safe chargers). Various flashlight mounts out there (including just using Velcro or silicone straps), but lostplaces posted up a nice goproounted flashlight mount: https://m.banggood.com/BIKIGHT-Bike-...a&rmmds=search. Pickup at least two cells and you've got a backup.

There are numerous other flashlight options, but this one has good features and output levels at a great price with the coupon. And being a flashlight it serves other purposes as well.

Note that you could go with the Sofirn SP40 in 4000k (NW) and it has a built in USB charger: https://m.banggood.com/Sofirn-SP40-XPL-1200lm-3000k4000k-USB-Rechargeable-Headlamp-18650-18350-LED-Flashlight-p-1567226.html?akmClientCountry=America&rmmds=search

-Garry

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Thank you for the reply, Garry. Yeah, Sofirn SD05 looks like a great flashlight for the money and the only thing that bothers me is the tint.

P.S. Isn't Sofirn SP40 too floody for a helmet light?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I dont like Cool white light in the Woods to.
    I put in a 4000K LED 20mm board.

http://kaidomain.com/Flashlight-DIY-...80-LED-Emitter

the one in the SD05 is a 24mm easy to replace , open 2 srews unsolder 2 wires.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 cheap lights thread-img_20191005_142531.jpg  

2020 cheap lights thread-img_20191013_103223.jpg  

2020 cheap lights thread-406.jpg  

2020 cheap lights thread-i355.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    What handlebar holder are you using for that Sofirn SD05 lostplaces?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Looks like the Sofirn SD05 is on back order also the Sofirn SP40 XPL on bangood.
    Expected Shipping Date: 2019-10-27 for the Sorfirn SD05