2020 cheap lights thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2020 cheap lights thread

A lot of the products in older discussions about budget lights can no longer be found. Flash in the pan products.

What worthwhile budget lights have you purchased lately that are available as of the last quarter of 2019 at least? Under $50? Under $100?

I noticed that, although NiteRider is not know for "budget" lights, the Lumina 900 Boost can be found for $50.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I noticed that, although NiteRider is not know for "budget" lights, the Lumina 900 Boost can be found for $50.
    That's a deal for a quality light. Mebee I'll get the wife one.
    Lumina 900 Boost

My neighbor just ordered this from KD, I'll post feedback when it comes in:
    BL2S 2 X CREE XM-L2 U3 2200 LUMENS BIKE LIGHT

[edit] Looks like Darth Lefty posted on this light over on the 2018 thread.

BTW:

2020 cheap lights thread-screenshot-2019-10-05-20.48.39.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Sofirn SD05.
    https://www.banggood.com/Sofirn-SD05...r_warehouse=CN

with the code AC19
    it cost 18$

the light delivers with a 5000mah 21700 Batttery ~ 300 lumen in low for 11 Hours or
    in medium mode ~900 Lumen for 3 Hours full regulated!!!
    High mode will be set from a timer after 4 minutes down to medium mode.

with a 4000mah battery you will have near 2,5 Hours Runtime.
    i will make next week screenshot but for example take this for the beam.

you can use 18650 batterys to in the light with lower runtimes.

the beam throws far and is wide so overall great.
    IF the battery becomes near empty ~90% the light ramps down to ~100-150 lumen and make 3 blinks every 2 minutes to indicate you , its near empty and replace it with a full one.
    a great feature to.

this small light outperforms easy my KD2 with a 4x18650 pack with 3200mah Zells!!

BL2S and KD2 are not fully regulated lights they become darker over runtime.

for helmet mount
    https://www.banggood.com/BIKIGHT-Bik...r_warehouse=CN

on the handlebar i am using this types but my version look a little bit ´different.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ezyoutdoor-fl...BRKPE80BRA28NX

NiteRider have no challlangers for the SD05.
    https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...l#post13886770

Niterider lights are not fully regulated like the SD05 so they become darker and darker over time.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostplaces View Post

with a 4000mah battery you will have near 2,5 Hours Runtime.
    i will make next week screenshot but for example take this for the beam.

Maybe you know the answer to something I've been wondering about the testing methods for output charts like this that seem to be commonly available for flashlights (which is cool/awesome!). Do they have any air flow (fan) to cool them and ambient temperature standards + if kept cooler would these lights produce higher sustainable outputs?

Niterider lights are not fully regulated like the SD05 so they become darker and darker over time...
    Unfortunately Nightrider and most of the other single cell lights available are affected by this to different degrees. A few of the better single celll bike lights do have nicer beam patterns (Nightriders newest models are very good and Cygolite) and most have more usable UI programs so I guess you have to choose your poison.

Nice post, lost of good information here!!!
    Mole

mtbr member
    This looks promising and that price is ridiculous. How you used and tested this product, or are you basing this on the manufacturer's claims?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I paid about the same for the 950 boost ($50) from Amazon a year or two ago. It's a little heavy for the helmet but something one can easily get used to. I feel tired neck after a full evening ride -getting used to it now with partial night rides.

The beam is solid and definitely provides enough light.

The niterider did interfere with my cateye wireless bicycle computer. It does not affect my Garmin with wheel sensor (as far as I've seen so far, but only tested -have not ridden a ride with the light running and Garmin recording).

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    This looks promising and that price is ridiculous. How you used and tested this product, or are you basing this on the manufacturer's claims?
    https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-d...re-780122.html

no i measure anythink what i but just for my interesst how much companys are lie in there promises.
    i buy 10 Years ago alot of overprised junk, so i start to check all.
    others here do it to.

or to pick out outstanding lights like the SD05 for example, it outperformces lights in the 100$- 150$+ range easy so a great buy.

mtbr member
    Sofirn SD05.
    https://www.banggood.com/Sofirn-SD05...r_warehouse=CN

with the code AC19 18$
    Still intrigued. It looks like the option from Band Good does not include a 21700 cell. a two-pack of Sofirn 21700 batteries, and a Basen charger ends up being about $46 with that discount. Amazon has a Sofirn SD05 with a single battery and charger for a few bucks less. based on how fast and easy it is to deal with Amazon, I am going to do the latter.

I have some 18650 cells and a charger for them, so those should serve as nice backup power. I have some Twofish blocks, so we'll see if those are big enough to strap the light to my bike.

mtbr member
    I just bought a BL2S from Kaidomain. $40 shipped for the full kit with battery and charger. I'll tell you in a month if it's any good for a ride home and in a few months if I really like it. But it's certainly a lot brighter and less blue than my old Cygolite 300. With a small head unit and remote battery it's more secure on the handlebar too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Hello light gurus!

I'm looking for a self-contained light that won't break the bank - sub $50 including the batteries.
    I don't need anything fancy - 45mins on 800 lumens or so is good enough for me, but the tint must be on the neutral side. I ride mostly technical single tracks with moderate pace and they're not very twisty. I don't ride in full darkness, but the days are getting shorter, so I need some assistance on my way down.
    For now it will be my main source of light, but if I get hooked to night riding I may buy a second source.

I know the NW tint usually means higher price, so if necessary I may increase the budget.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Zayphod View Post

I know the NW tint usually means higher price, so if necessary I may increase the budget.
    Tint color have nothing to do with the price.
    you see it on all lights from kaidomain and the KD2.

alot companys offering there lights in 2,3 or more color options without any difference.

my Trail light last year was the Emisar D4S and all colors cost same price.
    only XP-L HI LED option cost a little bit more about the higher LED Price then SST-20.

my light this year will be the Astrolux mf01 mini if the start shippping it next week and same, all colors same price.

basicly i agree with you 6000-7000K a horrible light.
    4000K is a dream on the Trail, and if i get 4000K 95 CRI its

i have stopped ~4 Years ago to use cool white bluish light on the streets or in the woods.

Still intrigued. It looks like the option from Band Good does not include a 21700 cell. a two-pack of Sofirn 21700 batteries, and a Basen charger ends up being about $46 with that discount.
    you can use 18650 Batterys to in the light.

cheap 20700/21700 cost ~5$.
    in the past i use this one in lights.
    https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/2170...m-battery.html

i switch to this type cost he losse no sigificant capacity in winter conditions.
    https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/2170...00mah-30a.html

cheap chargers <10$

but you are in right if you not have a charger and batterys you need ~15$ add.
    but not 25$

mtbr member
    $13.50. I just bought the light itself.

The pics in the listing shows one cord...but it actually somes with two connections. One is the standard connector and the other is a USB connector. The wire splits into two. I'll be using the USB connector with a power bank inside the pack. 4.2v/5v USB.

Rode on the street last night and it looks like it works pretty good.

Three settings, Hi/Low/Strobe

2020 cheap lights thread-img_20191009_200957.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3289...75574c4d4GJInu

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Tint color have nothing to do with the price.
    you see it on all lights from kaidomain and the KD2.

alot companys offering there lights in 2,3 or more color options without any difference.

my Trail light last year was the Emisar D4S and all colors cost same price.
    only XP-L HI LED option cost a little bit more about the higher LED Price then SST-20.

my light this year will be the Astrolux mf01 mini if the start shippping it next week and same, all colors same price.

basicly i agree with you 6000-7000K a horrible light.
    4000K is a dream on the Trail, and if i get 4000K 95 CRI its

i have stopped ~4 Years ago to use cool white bluish light on the streets or in the woods.
    So what can you recommend in my case?

Since it will be my first light, probably I should start from the helmet. So something with a narrow beam that goes far? And later something floodier for the bar. Is this the recommended combination?

mtbr member
    For a beginner single light, I'd not go with a super narrow throwy light as you'll be struggling to see your surroundings. For the budget I'd go with a flashlight and a mount. I'd probably recommend the Sofirn SD05 with coupon code (though I've not seen it in action yet): https://m.banggood.com/Sofirn-SD05-X...oaAvUHEALw_wcB . My understanding is that it's on the cooler side of neutral white (or neutral side of cool white). The Sofirn 21700 cells have been tested to be decent. I don't have a 21700 battery charger to recommend (see BLF reviews for reputable/safe chargers). Various flashlight mounts out there (including just using Velcro or silicone straps), but lostplaces posted up a nice goproounted flashlight mount: https://m.banggood.com/BIKIGHT-Bike-...a&rmmds=search. Pickup at least two cells and you've got a backup.

There are numerous other flashlight options, but this one has good features and output levels at a great price with the coupon. And being a flashlight it serves other purposes as well.

Note that you could go with the Sofirn SP40 in 4000k (NW) and it has a built in USB charger: https://m.banggood.com/Sofirn-SP40-XPL-1200lm-3000k4000k-USB-Rechargeable-Headlamp-18650-18350-LED-Flashlight-p-1567226.html?akmClientCountry=America&rmmds=search

-Garry

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Thank you for the reply, Garry. Yeah, Sofirn SD05 looks like a great flashlight for the money and the only thing that bothers me is the tint.

P.S. Isn't Sofirn SP40 too floody for a helmet light?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I dont like Cool white light in the Woods to.
    I put in a 4000K LED 20mm board.

http://kaidomain.com/Flashlight-DIY-...80-LED-Emitter

the one in the SD05 is a 24mm easy to replace , open 2 srews unsolder 2 wires.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 cheap lights thread-img_20191005_142531.jpg  

2020 cheap lights thread-img_20191013_103223.jpg  

2020 cheap lights thread-406.jpg  

2020 cheap lights thread-i355.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    What handlebar holder are you using for that Sofirn SD05 lostplaces?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Looks like the Sofirn SD05 is on back order also the Sofirn SP40 XPL on bangood.
    Expected Shipping Date: 2019-10-27 for the Sorfirn SD05

Light freak

mtbr member
    ROTFL!!!!

-Garry

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Might just be better than this poor fella's solution......

https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...0-1117999.html
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Vancbiker are you thinking of making a custom mount for that Ryobi shop light LOL.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    ROTFL!!!!

-Garry
    It reminds me of an old Wile E Coyote scene where the roadrunner impersonates a train coming out of a tunnel.

Love the battery clamps, its like they expect the guy to wear a car battery like a fanny pack.

In other news Welight posted some early information about the XML3 on BLF. Slightly more powerful than a SST40, 1500 lumens at five amps and has bond wires visable.

Teaser XML-3 Coming 5A rated | BudgetLightForum.com

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by caRpetbomBer View Post
    Vancbiker are you thinking of making a custom mount for that Ryobi shop light LOL.
    Yeah baby! The next big thing for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I am going to try this seems like a good deal https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mtbr member
    That one isn't much good. See the reviews on it as a "Boruit" branded headlamp (sorry, I don't have a link to that one nor a model# - I rememeber a Russian website with a good review and pics - use Google Translate). If I remember correctly, that dual emitter one has terrible heatsinking. The "good" one is this one, however it's not a thrower and nowhere hear 1,000 lumen output! The one you linked isn't worth that price; you should be able get the Boruit headlamps for around $9 to $15.

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    That one isn't much good. See the reviews on it as a "Boruit" branded headlamp (sorry, I don't have a link to that one nor a model# - I rememeber a Russian website with a good review and pics - use Google Translate). If I remember correctly, that dual emitter one has terrible heatsinking. The "good" one is this one, however it's not a thrower and nowhere hear 1,000 lumen output! The one you linked isn't worth that price; you should be able get the Boruit headlamps for around $9 to $15.

-Garry
    thanks for the info much appreciated

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Does anyone know the maximum amperage draw of the Sofirn SD05?

Researching 21700 batteries, I notice that some batteries are formulated to be longer lasting with lower amperage draw while others are optimized for higher amperage draw with lower mAh ratings.

What is the amperage draw of a flashlight like the Sofirn SD05?

Which type of battery would be better for the Sofirn SD05?

maximum continuous draw of 10A with a higher mAh rating (longer lasting)
    maximum continuous draw of 35A with a lower mAh rating.

It seems like a lot of batteries are judged in the context of vaping which has a high amperage draw, but I'm not sure how that compares to flashlights.

The led, itself, lists a "Maximum Drive Current" of 3A (6 V) but I'm not sure how much draw the rest of the flashlight electronics adds or if this stat is even meaningful. https://www.cree.com/led-components/...xlamp-xhp50-2/

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jindustry View Post
    Does anyone know the maximum amperage draw of the Sofirn SD05?
    under 7 Amps, and that only for 3 minutes.
    and only if a battery can deliver it, if you put in a 15 year old laptop battery, the light steps down to lower current.

the SD05 has the high mode"~2600 lumen" limited with a 3 minute timer.
    only the 1000 lumen mid mode you can use all the time.

What is the amperage draw of a flashlight like the Sofirn SD05?

Which type of battery would be better for the Sofirn SD05?

maximum continuous draw of 10A with a higher mAh rating (longer lasting)
    maximum continuous draw of 35A with a lower mAh rating.
    the SD05 can over time only deliver a constant output of ~ 1000 lumen and the draw from the battery is small ~ 1,3 Amps so you can use what you want.

in summer or warm conditions high capacity batterys the better one.
    in winter high drain batterys about there lower internal resistance deliver better and longer runtimes.

for winter use take the samsung 40T with 4000mah for summer any 5000mah battery.
    same in 18650 size, for winter samsung 30Q for summer you can use any 3500mah battery.

The led, itself, lists a "Maximum Drive Current" of 3A (6 V) but I'm not sure how much draw the rest of the flashlight electronics adds or if this stat is even meaningful. https://www.cree.com/led-components/...xlamp-xhp50-2/
    if you take the Astrolux EC01, the XHP50 draws ~ 12 Amps or more."~ 4000 lumen from an XHP50"

the SD05 is not an heavy dragster like the EC01, any battery is ok for it what you have at home.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I would like to try the SD05 just for fun, problem is have to buy mount, battery and charger. How much would that end up to be?

Anyone found any Chinese product that actually have a cut off and wide beam that competes with famous manufacturers?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Lostplaces, thank you for the detailed recommendations. Very helpful - especially the specific battery recommendations to a light novice like myself!

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by sandro87 View Post

Anyone found any Chinese product that actually have a cut off and wide beam that competes with famous manufacturers?
    what is a famous manufacture?
    i have seen 90% of overpriced junk from alot of manufactures the last years.

to find a good Road light is a life task.

i am using now an acebeam BK10, befor i used a two modified Light coz nothing out of the box has fulfilled my wishes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    what is a famous manufacture?

to find a good Road light is a life task.

i am using now an acebeam BK10, befor i used a two modified Light coz nothing out of the box has fulfilled my wishes.
    Like Ravemen and Fenix.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Fenix i know for ~ 10 Years as a medium price range flashlight producer and selling worldwide.
    on the world market fenix is one of the big players for flashlights.

but for Road lightning they have produced to that time only 2 produkts what are to use for that task, BC35R and BC25R.

Raveman i never read befor some weeks here, looks like cheap XM-L aliexpress light with a glued in battery and a ripple lens.
    Its also looks so that they have only this one and only product and sell it in different sizes "1 and 2 LEDs and 1 18650 glued in or 2 of them".

in europe where i life nobody owns that stuff and it looks very overpriced for that what it is.

XM-L LED based lights are from the year ~2012, today you will find this LED only in ultra low quality or cheap made products coz they are outdatet.

take a convoy S2 XM-L put in a ripple lens= raveman with changeable battery for ~10$

i dont see here the famous point on the road light market from one of them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    So you think the ravemen pr1200 for example is overpriced and shitty?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Need to keep in mind that lostplaces has a super narrow point of view about what is good and everything else is crap. You would be much better served to listen to advice from people like CatManDo or MrMole who don't carry such extreme bias.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Got a KD ? for you guys that have ordered from them.

I ordered the BL70 from KD back on 10/8. Below is the tracking info. I've emailed both the delivery people and KD and no response. The package arrived at LAX on 10/12 but since then nothing.

Take a look and let me know if this sounds as usual. If not is there another way to contact them as there doesn't seem to be a response now.

Thx

2019-10-12 18:34LAX / Shipment arrived at airport of destination country
    2019-10-12 11:47HKG / shipment departed from airport of origin country
    2019-10-11 21:30HKG / Hand over to airline.
    2019-10-11 21:20HONGKONG / Arrived at Hong Kong hub.
    2019-10-11 07:04Domestic Air Cargo Termina,Shenzhen,China / Depart from facility to service provider.
    2019-10-11 03:00Domestic Air Cargo Termina,Shenzhen,China / Shipment arrived at facility and measured.
    2019-10-11 03:00Domestic Air Cargo Termina,Shenzhen,China / Fpx picked up shipment.
    2019-10-11 00:44EN ROUTE TO DHL ECOMMERCE
    2019-10-11 00:40ELECTRONIC NOTIFICATION RECEIVED: YOUR ORDER HAS BEEN PROCESSED AND TRACKING WILL BE UPDATED SOON
    2019-10-10 14:14

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    What KD have to do with the import prozess and time what it need in your country?

in my country it need for my orders ~2-18 days do pass the import customer service on the Airport.

call them if you think your Airport need to long.

On KD all my orders need ~ 2 weeks to arrive at home.
    i always take free shipping so i can not check Tracking.

mtbr member
    Ich auch. I have a bag full.

Wo leben Sie in Deutschland?

mtbr member
    Little update- I tried that Sofirn light last night. Hole hell it's bright! I only used the low and medium modes, and blasted it on high just to freak every out for a second. I love how well it works but I think it's too heavy on my helmet for comfort. It gave me a bit of a headache after a while and there is no way to adjust the angle.

I noticed last night that a lot of riders use a small light with an external battery pack on their helmets and now I see why. Both lights out out enough light to see the trail ahead, so I am going to have to put the heavier one on the bike and the external battery pack (MiNewt) on the helmet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    yes for helmet its to heavy, empty light is ~ 120 gramm.
    with a 21700 you are at 190 gramms.
    with a 18650 you are at 165 gramms.

i am only use ultralight helmetlights.

a Zebralight H600 is with an 18650 battery at ~90 gramms.

lights with external batterys are pointless.
    most of them are technicly junk an are at ~ 60 gramms or more.

the other problems:
    what to do with wires and what to to with the battery pack......

a cheap product for helmet have Sofirn to like the pro companies design helmet lights with the SP40.
    ist no so powerfull and more heavy then a Zebralight but cost only 20$.

the SP40 with an 18650 battery put in will be at ~ 100 gramms.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    A small light w/ small external battery pack can actually be better on the helmet and balance weight better w/ the pack mounted in the back of the helmet and the light in the front of course.

mtbr member
    I love my Nitefighter BT21 with my 2-cell Fenix Battery case on my helmet. The weight is pretty balanced and each light only has a short cable which I just wrap through my helmet vents. Here are the closest pics I could find to show it:

Somewhere I had pics showing the battery pack mounted to the helmet, but I can't find them now. The pack is velcro'd to the back of the helmet and then I use a thick 1" wide velcro strap around the battery pack and through the last vent to cinch it down tight.

-Garry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 cheap lights thread-25876481818_a7a3abfb3f_o_d.jpg  

2020 cheap lights thread-38849065475_c74eb9a6bb_k_d.jpg  

"My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

Light freak
    ^^^ mb323323 speaks the truth

2020 cheap lights thread-amoeba-helmet.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I love my Nitefighter BT21 with my 2-cell Fenix Battery case on my helmet. The weight is pretty balanced
    you will have ~200 gramms ore more and 200 gramms on your head are 200 gramm on your head.
    and balance something out is balancing somethink out.

i have try a DIY light out what ends in ~ 115 gramm for a 2x18650 battery pack and the light is 50 gramms.
    this 165 gramms setup is still to heavy for me on helmet.
    my 1000 lumen 4 Hour runtimes setup is nice but with 165gramms to heavy for me.

my zebra only weighs 90 gramms, thats the only thing what my head is able to carry any gramm more will break my neck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 cheap lights thread-img_20191023_193721.jpg  

2020 cheap lights thread-img_20191023_193707.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Can you suggest something really affordable to use on my helmet along with the mount? Maybe something from China? It will be used along with the PR1200.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Little update- I tried that Sofirn light last night. Hole hell it's bright! I only used the low and medium modes, and blasted it on high just to freak every out for a second. I love how well it works but I think it's too heavy on my helmet for comfort. It gave me a bit of a headache after a while and there is no way to adjust the angle.

I noticed last night that a lot of riders use a small light with an external battery pack on their helmets and now I see why. Both lights out out enough light to see the trail ahead, so I am going to have to put the heavier one on the bike and the external battery pack (MiNewt) on the helmet.
    What's your set for the Sofirn?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My old neck gets tired with nothing on the helmet so I won't carry a battery on it. I also won't use a self contained light because the lightest are still 3 ounces and don't put out much light for long. A 2 or 4 cell pack in a jersey or jacket pocket is my favorite power source for a helmet light. I do get that some have an issue with a cable, but it has never bothered me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    So you think the ravemen pr1200 for example is overpriced and shitty?
    it looks like the typical technically lowest grade aliexpress XP-G and XM-L LED stuff on the first look that is sold for ~20€.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/i/3282237...6b2d67deTD2MTV

The only differenz ist that one spot lens is removed and a Street style lens is put in.
    you can see that as a good or bad.

i for myself use specialized lights for what i need them.

for work commute i use a light with a 100% beam design for street use.

for woods or trails i use a light that have a beam shape specialized for that, and what clear my wishes in beamprofile, lightquality, lightcolor temperatur, tint shifts or high CRI lightning, light amount or energy consumption.

on questions like is this product good or not....what will you get as anwer?

another clear answer.
    technically the raveman is on the level from the year ~2013 and in the last years alot of nice upgrades on the LED market happend in all aspects from alot LED companys.

only on thing i can answer you clear, if you dont know a company, like raveman i never read bevor some weeks.
    if a light is equiped with XP-G or XM-L LEDs that shows you always clear that you get a technically very very outdatet product.

if you are looking for solid lights in the lower prize range.

for a cheap Street/Road light take a look on the lumintop B01.~30$
    for trail/woods take a look at the sofirn SD05.~20$

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I don't think the one you linked on AliExpress has anything to do with the ravemen, those products are full of fake specs and usually don't deliver over 450 lumens.

Who says the lumitop b01 is actually 850 lumens? And the beam doesn't look so wide

mtbr member
    it looks like the typical technically lowest grade aliexpress XP-G and XM-L LED stuff on the first look that is sold for ~20€.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/i/3282237...6b2d67deTD2MTV

The only differenz ist that one spot lens is removed and a Street style lens is put in.
    "Typically technically lowest grade" explains the difference between a Ravemen product and that light you linked. Your cheap Chinese light comes with the poorest bin emitters which probably are clones rather than real Cree products. I'm also sure the rest of the components used to assemble this light are of the lowest grade. The 6000 lumen rating on your light looks like 300-400 lumens at best to me (in their provided video) where as my PR900 and LR800 Ravemen lights both calculate out to just under 900 lumens from my LUX readings. Poor example to prove your point!

if you are looking for solid lights in the lower prize range.

for a cheap Street/Road light take a look on the lumintop B01.~30$
    for trail/woods take a look at the sofirn SD05.~20$
    At least both these look to be good quality. They still are flashlights and have flashlight characteristics that aren't necessarily desireable when used as a bike light.

2020 cheap lights thread-screenshot_2019-10-23-lumintop-b01-850-lumens-21700-bicycle-headlamp.jpg

Looking at the runtimes for the 850 lumen turbo mode and the 450 lumen hi mode I notice their both about the same. Looks like most of the usable time in the turbo mode the light is making power outputs more like the 450 lumen hi mode. From my experience with the Sofirn SP40 it's quite probable it would be able to maintain more output with air flow but my guess is it will degrade much faster than a slightly more powerful Ravemen PR900 light. Runtime in highest setting on the PR900 are equal to the 450 lumen hi mode of the B01 but the PR900 has double the battery capacity so both pretty close in efficient use of battery current. Bangood price for the B01 was listed at 37.90 with no battery included and ebay had the PR900 for 56.21 today so even with the extra cost of 2 18650 batteries or a high capacity 21700 battery (to make runtimes equal) the B01 will be less money but for a slightly less powerful, thermally unstable light (in turbo mode) with less features (PR900 also has wired remote and OLED battery capacity display). Think I'd pony up a few more bucks and go with the Ravemen

SD05 definitely has some nice features compared to your typical Lumina/Urban but so does the Ravemen PR series lights. SD05's 2500 lumen turbo mode is on a 3 min. timer and even if it would be able to maintain that output all your going to get with a round beam on the bars is tons of reflective glare so not really usable for bicycle application. 1000 thermally regulated stable lumens on the other hand is pretty good considering how inexpensive the lights is but too heavy for helmet use and from the beam shots I've seen pretty spotty beam which wouldn't be my choice for the bars either. Ya the Ravemen PR900 still costs about twice as much but produces a wonderful beam pattern for off-road and would consider the extra cost money well spent if I were looking for a off-road bar mounted light. I wouldn't mind owning a SD05 but can't seem myself using it as a bike light when I have so many better choices (for my application anyway).
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:11 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    .......Looking at the runtimes for the 850 lumen turbo mode and the 450 lumen hi mode I notice their both about the same. Looks like most of the usable time in the turbo mode the light is making power outputs more like the 450 lumen hi mode. .......
    Since those "runtimes" are using the NEMA FL1 standard it means that in high mode the light could be down to 50 lumen at the end of the runtime and still comply with the FL1 standard. Any light manufacturer using FL1's definition of runtime can post numbers that sound great, but are truly useless for bike use.

IMO, if a light is rated at 850 lumen the runtime should be determined by how long it takes before it hits ~600 lumen or ~25% drop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Looking at the runtimes for the 850 lumen turbo mode and the 450 lumen hi mode I notice their both about the same.
    Turbo have same like Turbo from the SD05 a 3 minutes timer!

high ist 100% regulated and put out measured 490 Lumen what is for Streets more then enought.
    turbo have a measured 880 lumen output, but after 3 minutes it drops to 490 lumen.

there are reviews and measurings in the net to find.

https://www.ixbt.com/live/uploads/im...5cfc511463.jpg

one of the biggest difference on the quality side of products is the Brigthness regulation.

lower quality lights become dimmer over time.
    good products have a 100% brightness output over time.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Turbo have same like Turbo from the SD05 a 3 minutes timer!......turbo have a measured 880 lumen output, but after 3 minutes it drops to 490 lumen.......
    In their specifications they show 850 lumen with 2 hours and 20 minutes runtime. Why do they lie about that? Just another false specification designed to lure an unknowing buyer to their product.

They try to obfuscate the runtime claim in the fine print with the statement "The run time on turbo is accumulated due to the intelligent temperature control".

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I still don't get it how they can declare +2h of 850 lumens when it's 3 minutes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    ebay dag the PR900 for 56.21 today so
    too bad on amazon.it it's €80 for both the PR900 and PR1200.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Guys why I can't find a set of light+mount or simply the mount on ebay/aliexpress/bangood for a bike helmet for a flashlight? The mount with straps and and holder that you can adjust the angle. You would expect to find unlimited sellers for $1 for these kind of things but I can't find any!
    Even on Amazon (Italy) I can't find a set.

Something like this https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...g?v=1504816354

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I still don't get it how they can declare +2h of 850 lumens when it's 3 minutes?
    Because it is better to lie about the product to gain sales than to be truthful and lose sales to another seller that lies. Buyers should reject these crap sellers, but too many choose not to research and understand what they are really getting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    In their specifications they show 850 lumen with 2 hours and 20 minutes runtime. Why do they lie about that?
    they give ANSI-FL1 spec, that the light runs in turbo mode what starts with 850 lumen runs ~ 2 hours 20 minutes with a 2600mah battery.
    and that 100% agree with ANSI-FL1.
    ANSI FL1 Standard - LED-Resource

the only thing , i wish from alot companys cleaner ANSI tables with addet runtimegraphs like fenix for example do it for all modes, to see better how the regulation works and what you really get in output over time.
    https://www.fenixlighting.com/wp-con...ifications.jpg

the secound point,
    coz they will make a budget light they anoucend that they will limit the turbo with a Timer to 3 minutes coz XP-L LEDs will need over 10 Watt power with any driver typ what will result in a runtime under 1 Hour in constant regulated 850 lumen with a 3000mah battery!!!

in that chase people will cry about the short runtime.

so they try to figure out to bringt a good light amount on the street and good runtimes.
    they design for the light on the other side a high quality buck driver with a low amount of energy losses and great regulation.

The Turbo can be used as a short booster.

that you get for 30$, with code i have seen it for 25$.
    but technicly for the prize its a great design.

"Typically technically lowest grade" explains the difference between a Ravemen product and that light you linked. Your cheap Chinese light comes with the poorest bin emitters .....

then lets make a backstep for some years.
    ~2008 Cree becomes the top dealer for bike/flashlights.

~in the year 2010 the XP-G2 was released ands the state of the art tech, all flashlight or bikelight producer what give anythink on there name use it.
    also unknown companys like Magicshine become with the MJ-872 hipster.

~2012 was the time that all company switch to the tech improved XM-L/XM-L2 LEDs, again all company start to use it.

~2014 the next generation comes out XP-L/XP-L2, smaller package improvments in effizenz , lightquality and output + the option on domless versions.
    tonns of ways to make great better lights.

again all conpany upgrade there products........ohhh wait whats happening now?

on the bike market only Exposure goes with the tech LED improvments and give it to consumers.

~ 2016 the next very big step in LED tech Cree have done with the XHP series.

and noe look on the bike market?
    nothing!!!!!!!

to equip a light wie LED junk from the year 2010 like for example your Ravemen PR800 is done shows more then clear that they will sell you cheapest tech outdatet stuff.

im am playing now ~ 15 years with LEDs and have measured alot of them, and still have ~ 70 different types at home.
    and thats why i still wonder that people waste money on lights that are equip with totally outdatet LED tech from 10 Years ago or how you call it poorest emitters.

in the year 2019/2020 to waste more then 10-20$ for lights that equiped with XP-G or XM-L junk is money throw in the garbage.

now some clear tech abilitys from your light equiped with the 10 year old LEDs.

PR800= 2x XP-G2 powerd with a 3000mah battery.
    this two LEDs will need ~ 12 Watt power or more to produce the promised 800 Lumens what will result in constant regulated output with <50 minutes of runtime.

i own all of them:
    XP-G2, XP-G3, or the last try from Cree XP-G HE series and know 100% what this suff can or not can do.

that tech outdated stuff you get on aliexpress for 20$.

you can see very easy without more detailed measurments on the used LED tech what you are buy.
    on that way its very easy to figure out , what can be overprices tech junk or a good falue product.

I don't think the one you linked on AliExpress has anything to do with the ravemen, those products are full of fake specs and usually don't deliver over 450 lumens.
    all importend specs are:
    2x XM-L/XM-L2 light with 2x2600mah= 5200mah battery= 20$ junk.
    that light will exacly that deliver what this low tech from the year 2012 can do.

i remenber to orderd one like this ali 2 years ago, and it runs at not regulated ~800 lumen with horrible low runtime......

Raveman PR800= lower tech then the aliexpress.

like i sayed the only difference ist that one lens is changed to a ripple one.
    thats is worth pay 40$ more?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    they give ANSI-FL1 spec, that the light runs in turbo mode what starts with 850 lumen runs ~ 2 hours 20 minutes with a 2600mah battery.
    and that 100% agree with ANSI-FL1........
    That's exactly why I contend that the FL1 standard is worthless for comparing usefulness of a light for cycling. The FL1 standard measures runtime until the light output is 10% of the rated output. 10% of the rated output for most of these cheapie Chinese lights is totally useless for cycling.

Sadly some better manufacturers have fallen into using FL1 too. They know that unknowing buyers will overlook their product if they spec true usable runtime and outputs because the performance numbers are lower yet the price is higher.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    and that 100% agree with ANSI-FL1.
    ANSI FL1 Standard - LED-Resource

the only thing , i wish from alot companys cleaner ANSI tables with addet runtimegraphs like fenix for example do it for all modes, to see better how the regulation works and what you really get in output over time.
    https://www.fenixlighting.com/wp-con...ifications.jpg

the secound point,
    coz they will make a budget light they anoucend that they will limit the turbo with a Timer to 3 minutes coz XP-L LEDs will need over 10 Watt power with any driver typ what will result in a runtime under 1 Hour in constant regulated 850 lumen with a 3000mah battery!!!

in that chase people will cry about the short runtime.

so they try to figure out to bringt a good light amount on the street and good runtimes.
    they design for the light on the other side a high quality buck driver with a low amount of energy losses and great regulation.

The Turbo can be used as a short booster.

that you get for 30$, with code i have seen it for 25$.
    but technicly for the prize its a great design.

~in the year 2010 the XP-G2 was released ands the state of the art tech, all flashlight or bikelight producer what give anythink on there name use it.

~2012 was the time that all company switch to the tech improved XM-L/XM-L2 LEDs, again all company start to use it.

~2014 the next generation comes out XP-L/XP-L2, smaller package improvments in effizenz , lightquality and output + the option on domless versions.

on the bike market only Exposure goes with the tech LED improvments and give it to consumers.

nothing!!!!!!!

to equip a light wie LED junk from the year 2010 like for example your Ravemen PR800 is done shows more then clear that they will sell you cheapest tech outdatet stuff.

im am playing now ~ 15 years with LEDs and have measured alot of them, and still have ~ 70 different types at home.
    and thats why i still wonder that people waste money on lights that are equip with totally outdatet LED tech from 10 Years ago or how you call it poorest emitters.

in the year 2019/2020 to waste more then 10-20$ for lights that equiped with XP-G or XM-L junk is money throw in the garbage.

this two LEDs will need ~ 12 Watt power or more to produce the promised 800 Lumens what will result in constant regulated output with <50 minutes of runtime.

i own all of them:
    XP-G2, XP-G3, or the last try from Cree XP-G HE series and know 100% what this suff can or not can do.

you can see very easy without more detailed measurments on the used LED tech what you are buy.
    on that way its very easy to figure out , what can be overprices tech junk or a good falue product.

all importend specs are:
    that light will exacly that deliver what this low tech from the year 2012 can do.

i remenber to orderd one like this ali 2 years ago, and it runs at not regulated ~800 lumen with horrible low runtime......

OK let's assume you're right for the specifications and that Ravemen is selling old stuff.
    Problem is that you're not providing a real alternative to the Ravemen PR800 for $40 less that has
    - two lenses with cutoff beam and mtb biking, ACTUALLY usable for cycling
    - battery that lasts at full lumens for hours
    - all in one package without carrying multiple items

If you post it i'll buy it today.

mtbr member
    Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    "Typically technically lowest grade" explains the difference between a Ravemen product and that light you linked. Your cheap Chinese light comes with the poorest bin emitters .
    My bad on my choice of words here. I should not have included the term technically (which changes the meaning). "Typically lowest grade" is a more accurate meaning to what I was trying to convey.

they give ANSI-FL1

nothing!!!!!!!

Appreciate your review of recent emitter evolution. A good bike light is far more than just what emitter it is equipped with though so definitely don't agree that all XP-G and XM-L equipped light are junk. I agree it would be nice to see XHP technology become more commonly used in bike lights but as of now only a few successful ones are available. Flashlights are not bikelights and if they were the best solution we'd all be using them on this forum.

i own all of them:

all importend specs are:

Unfortunately your lack of knowledge about Ravemen lights has led you to post incorrect information and draw incorrect conclusions. PR900 comes with 2 2600mAh batteries not a single 3000mAh. Additional battery capacity allows it to have a fairly stable output of just under 900 lumens till the tail end of its runtime. Doubt your Aliexpress light with its poor quality (but newer tech) emitters and parts will come close to that. Comparing only a individual component in no way guarantees how the light will work as a whole. I found this output chart (while looking for my PR900 chart which unfortunately I didn't find) I made for my Ravemen LR800 transposed over a Lumina 850 micro chart that's a good example of how different a light can perform even with the same emitters of similar quality.

Raemen LR800 Black/Hi, Red/Med. mode
    2020 cheap lights thread-ravemen-lr800p.jpg

That only compares output consistency and runtimes. Other factors (beam quality, thermal efficiency, UI, mounts, reliability) are more likely to be much poorer on your Aliexpress light (which I'm sure you know) than the PR900. Testing emitters only makes you qualified to comment (intelligently) on emitter performance. I own and have tested this light (PR900) and for its claimed output and cost found it to be a great performer and value. You should probably take a look at one before you call it junk. LOL
    Mole

mtbr member
    Guys why I can't find a set of light+mount or simply the mount on ebay/aliexpress/bangood for a bike helmet for a flashlight? The mount with straps and and holder that you can adjust the angle. You would expect to find unlimited sellers for $1 for these kind of things but I can't find any!
    Even on Amazon (Italy) I can't find a set.

Something like this https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...g?v=1504816354
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3286...19c94c4dDIDvXf https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3287...19c94c4dDIDvXf
    Salsa Carbon Bucksaw- Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Appreciate your review of recent emitter evolution. A good bike light is far more than just what emitter it is equipped with though so definitely don't agree that all XP-G and XM-L equipped light are junk.
    Its the most importand part same like in a flat TV the used Panel.
    If you go into a shop you will pay 500-1000$ for a flat TV with a build in 10 Years old panel?
    low resolution outwashed, ugly colors, ultra low contrast........

no you will get state of the art tech for your money.

the same part takes the used LED in a light.

what type of light they finally make with that is another question.

if people not stop waste money for more the overpriced cost, the more on the unserious side placed Companys will not stop sell this junk.

the importand point you can see easy on that way what you really get for your money.

Unfortunately your lack of knowledge about Ravemen lights has led you to post incorrect information and draw incorrect conclusions. PR900 comes with 2 2600mAh batteries not a single 3000mAh.
    Its not a lack from whatever you write here always about different Ravemans with different batterys an LEDs all the time.

First PR800
    them PR900 PR1200

and now LR800

stay on one of them and not mix them together.

I made for my Ravemen LR800 transposed over a Lumina 850 micro chart that's a good example of how different a light can perform even with the same emitters of similar quality.

Raemen LR800 Black/Hi, Red/Med. mode

That only compares output consistency and runtimes.
    Ok now the LR800.
    thats this one right?
    https://www.merlincycles.com/ravemen...ht-155959.html

specs:
    1x XP-G2 with a 2200mah battery.

next basic info.
    XP-G2 is a maximum 1500ma current speced LED!!!
    so to reach more then ~400 Lumens it need to heavy overcurrent it what result in lowering the lumen per watt effizenz!!!!!

here you see what a XP-G2 need on current for how much real output what is consistent with my measurments to without the losses from an optic.
    https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...l#post12506589

to get from a XP-G2 LED 1000 Lumens it need ~ 5 Amperes of current pump into it.
    that says a 2200mah battery will be sucked down in <20 minutes!!!

that means heavy overcurrent the LED and you need to get away the over 20 Watt of heat generation..........what is near impossible some of my XP-G2 what i have tryed alot years ago burned down.

an XM-L need for the same performance~ 3,5 Amps.
    an XHP will need a draw from the same battery at ~1,6 Amps to reach this output.

so that what you post is your measurment?
    its lightyears away from that was is possible with an XP-G2 and hits the abilitys what XHP able to do.

its nice that your LR800 equiped with an XP-G2 reaches 3 times higher output with ~1,5 Amps current then this LED is able to to.

now back reality:

an XP-G2 driven by 1,5 Amps will deliver ~ 350-400 lumen and a 2200mah battery will last for a little bit over 1 Hour.
    That is the LR800.

mtbr member

Ok now the LR800.
    thats this one right?
    https://www.greenparkbikestation.inf...avemen-lr-800/

specs:
    1x XP-G2 with a 2200mah battery.

next basic info.
    XP-G2 is a 1500ma current speced LED so to reach more then ~400 Lumens it need to heavy overcurrent it what result in lowering the lumen per watt effizenz!!!!!

here you see what a XP-G2 need on current for how much real output what is consistent with my measurments to without the losses from an optic.
    https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...l#post12506589

to get from a XP-G2 LED 1000 Lumens it need ~ 5 Amperes of current pump into it.
    that says a 2200mah battery will be sucked down in 20 minutes!!!

that means heavy overcurrent the LED and you need to get away the over 20 Watt of heat generation..........

an XM-L need for the same performance~ 3,5 Amps.
    an XHP will need a draw from the same battery at ~1,6 Amps to reach this output.

so that what you post is your measurment?
    its lightyears away from that was is possible with an XP-G2 and hits the abilitys what XHP able to do.
    I think there is some kind of mix up here. The LR-800 is actually called the LR-800P. I think this is the one that MRM has. Comes with an XM-L2 emitter and 2600mAh battery. The website that you linked to...I don't know where they got that information. The one I linked to is the actual Raveman website, not a vendor site. You would be right though, no XPG2 is going to be able to create 800 lumen without burning up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I think there is some kind of mix up here. The LR-800 is actually called the LR-800P. I
    i see this "company?" is confusing.

norhing have changed:
    XP-G2= 2010 tech
    XM-L= 2012 tech

to calc is no problem all of them.

now:
    1x XM-L2 and 2600mag battery.

to get out of the front real 800 lumen"=-10% losses from optic"
    will need 3 Amps pump into a XM-L2.

in a constant brithness regulation it will result in ~ 45 minutes of runtime with a 2600mah battery.

that they write somethink about 1,2 Hours runtime it is clearly to see that this light will drop in brightness over time.

if this light will be equiped with XP-L, what was the next generation LED in the year 2014 from CREE, the result will be 10-15% higher.

if this light will be equiped with XHP LED from 2016 tech the result will be 800 Lumen constant output for 2 Hours.

your SST-40 Based light will be placed between XP-L and XHP tech.

you see it is very easy to roughly classify the product place and ~ value.

next question or better how you clearly can see identify aliexpress stuff,
    why build in 2200mah or 2600mah junk if 3000-3500mah battery state of the art .

the first downside.
    they glue them in and next they use lowest grade on batterys on the market, quality companys use always good high capacity batterys in there products.

and if i read on product XP-G or XM-L class my first mind is always, ohhhhh my god again Aliexpress junk.

mtbr member
    i see this "company?" is confusing.

to calc is no problem all of them.

now:
    1x XM-L2 and 2600mag battery.

to get out of the front real 800 lumen"=-10% losses from optic"
    will need 3 Amps pump into a XM-L2.

in a constant brithness regulation it will result in ~ 45 minutes of runtime with a 2600mah battery.

that they write somethink about 1,2 Hours runtime it is clearly to see that this light will drop in brightness over time.

if this light will be equiped with XP-L, what was the next generation LED in the year 2014 from CREE, the result will be 10-15% higher.

if this light will be equiped with XHP LED from 2016 tech the result will be 800 Lumen constant output for 2 Hours.

next question or better how you clearly can see identify aliexpress stuff,
    why build in 2200mah or 2600mah junk if 3000-3500mah battery state of the art .

the first downside.
    they glue them in and next they use lowest grade on batterys on the market, quality companys use always good high capacity batterys in there products.
    I won't bother to respond to your other post since the information on that site was incorrect other than to say I own a PR900 and a LR800 and have access to a PR1200 that I bought for my Stepfather a couple of Christmas's ago (so am familiar with all those lights firsthand).

As far as this post I basically agree with most of what you said except a couple of points. 1) Last I looked at the output capabilities of XM-L emitters was a couple of yrs. ago and way back then 3A would net almost 1100 lumens so even with the 10% loss of efficiency from optic losses I don't get where you got your figures. Unless I'm wrong here this would also affect your consumption figures too. 2) Back to your Junk comments. Of course you are entitled to your opinion that you base on specification and data sheets. I enjoy that stuff too but in the end how the light performs on the bike is what really counts which is how I ultimately choose to judge a light.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Thank you!!!
    I'm missing the flashlight now any advice? I need something very light just to light a bit where I'm looking at. I think 400 lumens is enough being a spotlight.
    USB rechargeable with 2 hours of usage should be fine.

mtbr member
    Thank you!!!
    I'm missing the flashlight now any advice? I need something very light just to light a bit where I'm looking at. I think 400 lumens is enough being a spotlight.
    USB rechargeable with 2 hours of usage should be fine.
    Based on the reviews here I'm going with Sofirn SD05. But it's not a USB light.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by bcriverjunky View Post
    Based on the reviews here I'm going with Sofirn SD05. But it's not a USB light.
    Maybe it's also too heavy for an helmet light. I was thinking Lumintop AA 2.0...?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Maybe it's also too heavy for an helmet light.
    SD05 used with a 18650 battery will be ~ 160 gramms for me that is to much on helmet.

but if i read that people use lights + battery packs mounted on helmet with 200-400 gramms setups and thats no prob form them..

for the handlebar ist great, fix it tight enought and have a full night fun.
    i used it last night most time the ~ 300 lumen mode and sometimes switch to ~1000 Lumen up.

i came home after 2 Hours in use and if i put the 21700 battery into the charger he says the battery was near full.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I think too many people see the ANSI/FL1 standard on packaging or it get thrown around in discussion and interpret it completely wrong.

Sure there is a standard and sure it is good that many follow the standard but the stand does allow many to post incorrect information simply because of how the standard is interpreted.

Knowing the limitations of a standard is just as important as knowing what the standard means, and the biggest limitation of the FL1 Standard is the runtime rating.

Read the specs for some of these lights and you will see 850 lumens for 2 hours and blah minutes and then you get someone to defend that saying they followed the standard. But if you read the actual standard it says:

“Runtime - Tested with fresh batteries from 30 seconds after the light is turned on until the light output reaches 10% of the initial measurement. This is the total time of useable light before most consumers will change the batteries”

The test is done in an integrating sphere just like the lumen test with light output measured every 15 minutes.

Manufacturers have taken that and spun it to say max output and runtime in a manner than too many consumers think that is the output heir get for the duration. and this leads to further confusion because not many light manufactures come directly out and say if their light output is regulated or not. Many are not.

Many do post runtime graphs for their products but most of the ones I have come across are for regulated lights or from “large” manufacturers.

Other important aspects to a light are beam quality, thermal efficiency, UI, mounts, reliability etc (as were pointed out by MrMole posts #63 above).

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    I think too many people see the ANSI/FL1 standard on packaging or it get thrown around in discussion and interpret it completely wrong.
    befor ANSI FL1 and the lack of knowlege, no option to check statts if they true or not.
    companys lie to anyone, that why it was released.

but the downside is that now a full runtimegraph is needet.

so its possible if a company is very unserious, to make a light that starts at lets say 800 lumen:
    after 30 secound it still have 800 lumens, after that it drops to lets say 100 Lumen and runs for 6 Hours.

ANSI FL1 says to that its a 800 Lumen 6 Hours runtime light.
    coz 100 Lumens over 10% of the start brightness.

A Serious Company will inform about that, and why they do that.
    Underious will you not give a feetback.

At times that anyone can make a light sphere for 20$ and check peoducts and figure out lying unserious companys that not more a problem.

serious light building companys is like i say very easy to indentify coz they will not sell you tech outdated junk.

they sell you actuall tech for serious prizes and some off them waste additional time in the elektronic driver design to give you the best amount of light vs runtime or tonns of programming options and other really usefull things.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    BL70 arrived yesterday. Woohoo.

It's heavy. Kinda big too. It's NOT for the helmet. It seems well made but the wires are smaller than the XP3 and of course the mount is the basic cheap rubber O ring. Inside, who knows.

All I was able to do was test on the wall last night and outside in the yard. It of course doesn't have programming like the XP3 but it's only 38 bucks, lighthead only. The one I got has an op reflector. The beam pattern has a noticeable ring typical of other designs like this. Since I can't program it, I just tested it on high against the XP3. The XP3 is set at 90% b'c it gets too hot otherwise even when I'm riding. It just doesn't get cold enough here I think. It's not brighter then the XP3 in my opinion. I have to use it on the trail to really assess that tho. But based on my backyard findings, looks a touch less bright than the XP3. Still, for 38 bucks it's bright and if you buy the Panasonic KD battery, it's less than 80 total and a good deal. Durability who knows at this point.

I'll let you know how it matches up on the trail against the XP3 next week. I can't get out for a few days due to the smoke and my elect is scheduled to be off today thru Monday so I actually need it on the low setting for a few days. And BTW, the low setting is so low it's not useful on the trail from what I can tell. But it'll work great the next few days in the house!

MB

mtbr member
    May 2005
    ......serious light building companys is like i say very easy to indentify coz they will not sell you tech outdated junk......
    A serious light building company will use the components that produce the desired/required characteristics regardless of "outdated" or not. The latest in tech does necessarily equate to better in all aspects.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Is this worth looking at for $37?(sierra coupons) http://sierra.com/lezyne-macro-drive...~bike-light%2F

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokee300 View Post
    Is this worth looking at for $37?(sierra coupons) http://sierra.com/lezyne-macro-drive...~bike-light%2F
    Here's a link to a review from road.cc

https://road.cc/content/review/23621...o-drive-1100xl

Was looking at the Sierra site you linked and noticed it said 2.5 hrs. runtime in high but I believe that to be a 650 lumen setting. The 1100 lumen setting showed 80 min. a couple of other places I looked. I have no first hand experience with this light but hope this helps.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

https://road.cc/content/review/23621...o-drive-1100xl

Was looking at the Sierra site you linked and noticed it said 2.5 hrs. runtime in high but I believe that to be a 650 lumen setting. The 1100 lumen setting showed 80 min. a couple of other places I looked. I have no first hand experience with this light but hope this helps.
    Mole
    Thanks, I will check that review, i should have mentioned that I'd be pairing this with a BL40 that I already have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    to our beam test it's not as bright as other lights with the same number of lumens. Compared with the

it´is more then vissible that is much dimmer then the same other 5 stars.

and thats not a review copy paste anythink and give all this convoy S2 tech based 10€ lights 5 stars????
    they dont write anythink they measrured runtimes or whatever on any way.

here is a review.
    https://www.gearlimits.com/gear-revi...-xl-headlight/

has a total burn time of 1 hour and 20 minutes when used at full powe

mtbr member
    it´is more then vissible that is ~ 3 times dimmer then the same other 5 stars.
    I did not claim to know anything about this light or recommend it. Only provided a link to a review so member asking about it could more easily research it and make up their own mind.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Can you suggest something really affordable to use on my helmet along with the mount? Maybe something from China? It will be used along with the PR1200.
    Well any two LED light from Kaidomain oder aliexpress, the original Yinding might also be a good reliable solution, if you can get yout hands on one. You just have to get a proper battery, in germany one shop is called enerprof. ships for sure to italy as well.

[...]
    To design and produce a proper cut-off reflector with useful beam pattern (or a proper lens setup which does the same) is not a simple task, it takes time, effort and knowledge.
    Therefore the chinese copyist selling cheap stuff have not yet suceeded in that business. The Acebeam BK10 and the Lumintop B01 are a start, albeit the former imho has way too much light in front of the bike and the latter is a bit narrow as you stated.
    (There is a cheap chines copy of the Lupine SL, but the light distribution .... well let's say it has much... room for improvements)

Totally agree with Vancbiker
    A serious light building company will use the components that produce the desired/required characteristics regardless of "outdated" or not. The latest in tech does necessarily equate to better in all aspects.
    btw: Lupine stated once the don't use the XHP leds in their lights because these LEDs have difficulties getting the heat away.

mtbr member
    Xanes XL29

Any thoughts on the Xanes XL29? Came across this light while lloking for a self contained unit.

Saw mention of some other Xanes lights not being great quality. Wondering if anyone has gotten their hands on the XL29 model?
    https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32954312426.html
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni View Post
    Xanes XL29

Any thoughts on the Xanes XL29? Came across this light while lloking for a self contained unit.

Saw mention of some other Xanes lights not being great quality. Wondering if anyone has gotten their hands on the XL29 model?
    https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32954312426.html
    Not 100% sure but I had one similar sold under another brand from AliExpress and the light is pure crap, maximum 500 lumens if not 450.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biking_tg View Post

btw: Lupine stated once the don't use the XHP leds in their lights because these LEDs have difficulties getting the heat away.
    Interesting information. That would definitely limit that emitters hi output potential for bicycle apploications. Thanks!
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2005
    ......btw: Lupine stated once the don't use the XHP leds in their lights because these LEDs have difficulties getting the heat away.
    I find that interesting too. The XHP is a nicely efficient emitter, but does not make much of a beam in small optics either. Too wide unless the optic or reflector is >30mm in size. I have not tested the XHP35 HI which should do better, but I would be surprised if it made a beam as nice as the XP-L HI with a 20mm optic. Of course the XP-L HI being ~4 years old means a light using it is junk .

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Interesting information. That would definitely limit that emitters hi output potential for bicycle apploications. Thanks!
    Mole
    I find that interesting too. The XHP is a nicely efficient emitter, but does not make much of a beam in small optics either. Too wide unless the optic or reflector is >30mm in size.[...]
    Here is that thread in the Lupine Forum (using google translate). The user "Wolf" is Lupine's founder and managing director/CEO
    Size limitation of the optics might be a reason as well why lupine hasn't switched yet to these emitters, as they always want to make the light heads as small as possible.

Reason for Edit: Google translate link didn't work

mtbr member

mtbr member

I expect they are a little fussy now, they used to mount their LEDs direct to a normal circuit board, so they know quite a lot about overheating LEDs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcriverjunky View Post
    Well according to Banggood's page on this light it's a 4.2v light and has a slightly different sized connector - so the answer is no. It's a pretty low grade budget light and those battery packs are pretty low grade too. I reviewed those packs branded as "RockBros" and while the cells used inside were decent, the craftsmanship inside was poor.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Well according to Banggood's page on this light it's a 4.2v light and has a slightly different sized connector - so the answer is no. It's a pretty low grade budget light and those battery packs are pretty low grade too. I reviewed those packs branded as "RockBros" and while the cells used inside were decent, the craftsmanship inside was poor.

-Garry
    Thank you. Search goes on..

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I find that interesting too. The XHP is a nicely efficient emitter, but does not make much of a beam in small optics either. Too wide unless the optic or reflector is >30mm in size. I have not tested the XHP35 HI which should do better, but I would be surprised if it made a beam as nice as the XP-L HI with a 20mm optic. Of course the XP-L HI being ~4 years old means a light using it is junk .
    An XP3 with 4C XPL-hi is my dream light. The XHP35 hi has a really nice beam but the efficiency really isn't a big enough step up for manufacturers to deal with its 12v rating. The rest of the XHP series has lousy color distribution and needs a big tint mixing TIR lens to look good.

It takes a top bin XHP 70.2 to match to beat the efficiency of a triple XML2-U3. They are just so efficient at low current and the big die gets rid of heat so well, it seems most manufacturers don't see enough benefit to trying new stuff. Welight has posted on another forum that Cutter is expecting XML3 samples possibly this December, he also posted a picture and said Cree expects it to be more powerful than the SST-40. So next year everyone can drop the new XML into an existing light and be more powerful and cutting edge again without really doing anything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I have not tested the XHP35 HI which should do better, but I would be surprised if it made a beam as nice as the XP-L HI with a 20mm optic. Of course the XP-L HI being ~4 years old means a light using it is junk .
    XHP35 HI and XP-L HI are bouth great for heavy fucusing beams with lower color tint shifts then domed ones.
    i still have a bunch of ~ 20 XP-L Hi LED to put it into lights and like them.
    in 3c or 5c or 5D.

the only downside from XP-L Hi ist they are ~ 50 Lower effizenz have."=50 more energie consumtion for same lightpower"

XHP35 Hi downside ist you need spezial 12 V drivers and they are more expensive.

the new white flat"black flat generation 4" ist for ultra heavy light focusing at moment the most importat LED if you like this types more.

with 8 Amps driven it delivers ~ 1500 Lumen.

in a 40mm optic it focus the beam near 3 times more then XHP 35 HI and XP-L Hi.
    i reach a little bit below 300.000 lux throw distance with it.
    the the XP-L Hi/XHP35 Hi only reach ~100.000 lux.
    for example a XM-L" what is found i alot cheap chines lights will reach onlx ~30.000 lux about here bulky dome.

the effizenz is much lower then the others, thats the downside of the white flat.

the cool light color ist white flat the warmer one is XP-L HI/XHP-35 HI focused.

he put it befor a ~25mm TIR and reach 125.000 lux throw.
    Fireflies E01 Osram / SST40W Flashlight

basic bike light for trails have ~ 5.000-10.000 lux throw for compare.
    thats why this LEDs types and abilitys are not an very importand part for bike lights.

~5mm sized LEDs set befor ~20mm optics"lens or reflector" give a good ratio of flood and throw for biking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 cheap lights thread-img_20191020_114226.jpg  

2020 cheap lights thread-p1150441.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Perfect option
    2020 cheap lights thread-nasjtw8fkug.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I took the BL70 out a few nights ago. I didn't have my Ituo XP3 to do a side by side but I've ridden enough to know how it compares. Next week I'll try to do a side by side. The light worked fine. The mount as you know is not the best and it moved a bit in the rough stuff but overall was ok. Especially considering the $$. I personally don't think it's as bright as the XP3 on high. However, you can run this on high all night and as long as your moving it won't overheat. It barely got warm. Thinking it may not be right, I let it sit on high after the ride for 5 minutes to see if it would heat up and yes it did. Not as hot as the XP3 but def hot so it's working. Temp was in the mid 50's. I tested it next to my Lumina 950 boost. On boost w/ both batteries full charge the BL is brighter but not by a significant amount. I have to say I think the BL70 is around 1700-1800 lumens. Don't know if anyone has sphere tested it but I'd be interested to know. It seems like a good light as it's simple and that's probably better for this type of light. On, off, 3 settings that's it but not much to go wrong and totally useable on medium and high. Low is not useable except to fix a flat or in the house during a 4 day power outage!

38 bucks plus whatever you pay for a battery for about 1800 lumens and a decent beam is hard to beat.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Did 3 nights of riding this week and decided I needed something to supplement my Petzl headlamp. I'm in for one of the SD05 light combo's off amazon. I'll report in with the results.