2020 cheap lights thread - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    Still anxiously awaiting my HL-01 headlamp! Looking forward to trying out a light that isn't using a timed step-down, but has thermal monitoring.

-Garry
    Garry,
    Did you see this yet? Not in English but there are subtitles.
    Mole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6lnGBv9cFo

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    i got my XP-L Version 1 week ago."scroll little down for screenshot compare H600 vs HL01"

the downsides:
    heavyer and bigger then expected.
    120 gramms, remove the magnet in tailcap= 105 gramms.
    more then double of the weight of my zebralight
    i have thinked the light will be in the range of 60-70 gramms.

2. not like promised build in the XP-L HI
    it have XP-L HD = so only half throw=10.000 [email protected] i measured

pros:
    you can burn down 18650 batterys in turbo" ~1450 lumen i measured" near in one turn down about the very big amount of thermal capacity of the HL01"105 gramms pure alu heatsink!!".

in your video is the armytek to see also one of the more bulky lights, the HL01 have alot more thermal capacity= higher outputs for longer possible.

i have burn down ~2x 18650GAs in a test some days ago on the bike"helmet mounted" in ~ 2 Hours.
    calibrate the temp regulation"must be done,out of factory its always wrong" + set it to ~65įC= near infinity turbo"+1000 Lumen all the time" in cooler conditions with a little bit airflow no problem for this heatsink.
    thats impressiv .

the XP-L HD version is allroundy in beam so good for everyone.
    not to throwy not to spotty.

my 4000K version have overall a good colour tint."in your linked video its the 4000K"

i am not interested in USB stuff but for you the info:
    it have same like the mf01 mini full USB functionality.

run with battery only
    run with battery+USB=charge and powerd by USB at once.
    run only with USB with full anduril functionality

the DC-DC buck charger circuit is only limited to 2 Amps max in draw from a source.
    i think its same like in the mf01 mini in that lexel"german member" have a TP5100 build in, that says any power source from 4-18 Volt can be pluged in.

here is the first nice video from it.

now with code for ~27$ overall a impressive light in performance.
    if i will be ~40 gramms lighter it would be a great alternative for my zebra......
    its the heavyest helmet light i own.

the weight i only see as the real downside of this helmet light!!!!
    for compare the referenz on the market:
    zebra H600= <90 gramms with 18650 battery
    HL01= 150 gramms with battery

but if the weight of 150 gramms with battery is no problem, its the best falue for money what is to get on the market.

i hope i get soon my SST-20 version, they still have problems to get buyed the LEDs......

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info lostplaces. It was listed on Banggoods site as an XP-L and not XP-L HI (think group buy page listed HI by mistake). Wonder how easy it would be to emitter swap to an HI?

Mole, no I don't have mine yet. Will check out the video links soon. Some BLF members have also received theirs.

(I was intending to create a new HL01 thread once ready, so as not to clutter this one.)

-Garry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostplaces View Post

2. not like promised build in the XP-L HI
    it have XP-L HD = so only half throw=10.000 [email protected] i measured
    Please clarify, half the throw distance or half the max. lux?

pros:
    you can burn down 18650 batterys in turbo" ~1450 lumen i measured" near in one turn down about the very big amount of thermal capacity of the HL01"105 gramms pure alu heatsink!!".

i have burn down ~2x 18650GAs in a test some days ago on the bike"helmet mounted" in ~ 2 Hours.
    calibrate the temp regulation"must be done,out of factory its always wrong" + set it to ~65įC= near infinity turbo"+1000 Lumen all the time" in cooler conditions with a little bit airflow no problem for this heatsink.
    thats impressiv .
    Would have preferred the HL01 had a bit lower weight but because of the hot climate I ride in additional heatsink mass may end up being more important. Weight may be a little above my normal comfort range but that's for traditional self-contained bike lights that require elevated mounting to get proper aim. I'm hoping the lower/superior mounting options of the HL01 style lights will offset the extra weight enough to still be comfortable (actually I'm pretty sure it will).

i hope i get soon my SST-20 version, they still have problems to get buyed the LEDs.....
    What if any are the advantages of this emitter over the XPL options?

Thanks for posting all this information on the HL01. Think I have a pretty good idea what to expect from the HL01 now, still would like to see a timed output graph on this light but I'm sure that's coming soon from someone. Look forward to hearing more from you and Garry (when he gets his HL01).
    Thanks again for your ibput!!!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mole, the SST is 95 CRI, is the XPL also high CRI? I love the light from my little Sofirn SC31B 4000K, only wish I could find either a larger version or one with pass through charging.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291...13f47f97efazh0
    Last edited by andychrist; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:13 AM. Reason: Spellink

mtbr member
    I believe the SST20 is a little throwier with higher CRI, but at the cost of less total output.

I do intend to do an output/runtime graph on the HL01 eventually, though someone may beat me to it.

Interesting videos, especially "The Dangerous Place" - LOL!

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Please clarify, half the throw distance or half the max. lux?
    Lux=throw=beam distance of a light

any free smartphone app is enought to check it fast.
    ~5-20$ lux meters are more exact but for fast check its not needet.

all lights on the market are classified with it over the ANSI-FL1 to.

light from 1 meter distance on your smartphone light sensor or lux meter= [email protected]= how far the light is able tho light your trail forward.

for example the kaidomain KD2"~14$" is a typical bike light equiped with 2 spot lenses.
    it have a lux reading of 6.000 lux @1 meter.
    The HL01 have ~10-11.000 [email protected]= 50 more disance of view.

If they will have equiped the light wirh the XP-L Hi the throe will be ~18.000 [email protected] and much more spotty.

that also says me for example i can run the HL01 at half power and still have a very far throwing beam.

Lux readings gives you alot of infos about a light if you know how they affect anythink.

in any ANSI-FL1 classification it must be shown!!!!
    for example:

180 lumen vs [email protected] meter= ultra heavy thrower!!!!
    this light will be like a light sabre in star wars.

What if any are the advantages of this emitter over the XPL options?
    Its ultrasmall ~3 times smaller then XP-L or XM-L LEDs and same 10 Watt 1000 Lumen Class.
    that says you can use 3 times smaller optics for it to get same beam like with the XP-L/XM-L types needet.

that makes this LED very interessting for multiemitter lights.
    alot of light out exactly about that reason on the market now with them.

they are ultracheap to get.

Luminus shows after they put them ~ 2 Years ago on the market fast reactions on the cumunity and improve them very fast and nice.
    for example Cree puts LEDs on the market, thats it, if the are ok its good, if they are bad, your unluck cree will never change anythink on them.

Luminus on the other side realesed them, the most imported part in this series are the high CRI one for users.
    the first series was greenish/yellowish junk same like cree stuff looks like.
    users want more and they start to improve over the FB4 series to now FD2 FA3......

the FA3 bins are so good they top now the over years leading chips from nichia and the samsungs also looks not so good like the aktually SST-20 series.

for example ~ 4000K series and in the middle how a cree 4000K looks like in compare to them."pic from BLF hope the link work"

the first series light equiped with this outstanding 4000K series was the mf01 mini, what i but alot of them.

this light also comes some days later then expected about the same problem like the HL-20 SST, alot of companys hunt now for the high quality bins and buy them all......there are hard to get.
    i have read in BLF about this problem some mf01 minis was equiped with lower quality ones to only to sell more lights..........

the light is in my eyes the best rail bike light on the market out now.
    TOP trail beam, outstanding lightcolor+ High CRI = 10 times better few that with any other "bike "light not imported how much it costs....

most people look at first on lumen counts for example.
    but a typical CW light only makes tons of glare, selfblinding, kills night few abilitys from your eyes.
    the other part is that the blue spikes from CW LED types are not only stress for your eyes by itself also in your mind.
    iīt kills concentation on the bike.

so i start over the years more and mor change to warmer colors for all types of outdoor activitys. "not only on the bike"

the bigest problem ansd challenge for LED manufactures are not to make something looking warmish, the peroblem was that it must look naturally with no also frustrating discolorations.

for example take the mf01 mini,its noot needet to pump it up to 3000 lumens, i see with this light also with ~ 1000 lumens and below many many times better on fast bike trails than with any other light not importand how much lumes its set.

lumens are not really the importand part like some people see it as the number 1 look to buy argument.
    i see the future of lightning exactly in that, not more lumens only improve more and more the light quality itself.

thats why i am look for what they put in the SST-20 version.
    it will be a ~ 17.000 [email protected] very throwy headlight, buts that not the importand part, if it get equiped with the SST-20 FA3 it will have an impressive view quality what improves your view alot!!!!!

my HL01 SST-20 was shipped out so i will see it the light will be a ruler in 2-3 weeks.

Luminus itself is at moment one of the top brands i think if you look what they do at moment.

not only the SST-20 was a big hit.
    then the new SST-40 was it to, it overruns the XM-L/XP-L series from cree
    next the released now the SST-70 series what overruns the XHP series from cree

the next hit was the new SBT 90.2 generation 2 what i get my first one in 2-3 weeks to play with it.......

if i look now on Cree what they have done or new realease in the last 3 years?
    nothing......

mtbr member
    Rememeber, that Cree in the middle of that image is a Cool White.

Corrected that Image Link: http://i.imgur.com/iEiycIk.jpg

Or:

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

mtbr member
    HL01 order placed, looks like you guys are going to have to put up with my opinion of this light too. Appreciate the input (Andy, Garry, and especially Lostplaces). I knew I wanted one but was holding off because I have a couple of other lights coming in for evaluation but it didn't take too much to push me over the edge.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I had a MagicShine MJ900 for a couple of mont: compared to other lights, the output did look closer to 1200lm than 900-
    The main problem was that it could only sustain it for about 15 minutes before turning off. I never figured out if it was a safety or the battery dying. Either way it would not turn on again before being completely recharged home.
    A bikelight suddenly and unexpectedly dying on a gnarly downhill is not good.
    I would not recommend MagicShine products mainly because they are unreliable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperflyZ View Post
    I had a MagicShine MJ900 for a couple of mont: compared to other lights, the output did look closer to 1200lm than 900-
    The main problem was that it could only sustain it for about 15 minutes before turning off. I never figured out if it was a safety or the battery dying. Either way it would not turn on again before being completely recharged home.
    A bikelight suddenly and unexpectedly dying on a gnarly downhill is not good.
    I would not recommend MagicShine products mainly because they are unreliable.
    Would they not warranty that for you?
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Little JoK3rs

Hey the pair of JKK03 flashlights I ordered from KD came in this morning!!!

http://kaidomain.com/JKK03-Cree-XHP7...LED-Flashlight

JKK03 Bright Eyes Diffuser Lens X2 by andyXchrist, on Flickr

JKK03 by andyXchrist, on Flickr

JKK03 by andyXchrist, on Flickr

RANS STRATUS XPC 3X CREE XHP70.2 4000K 2X CREE HHP50.2 6800K by andyXchrist, on Flickr

RANS STRATUS XPC 3X CREE XHP70.2 4000K 2X CREE HHP50.2 6800K by andyXchrist, on Flickr

4000K on them is really terrific, make my entire set of Bic markers glow without changing their tint from that under natural light. Snow was starting to pick up and temperature dropping from the teens so had to rush these pics ó probably no beam shots tonight, sorry.

Couple pleasant surprises, not only do these little Jokers support pass through charging but can even be run from USB without any cells inside (albeit at lower output and only in the two middle modes, so it seems. Weirdly, one of the units lights green at the power button when so employed, the other red and sometimes amber ó canít figure out why the difference, they otherwise appear identical. Both make a high pitched whine when simultaneously charging and operating on the lower mode but are dead silent anyway else.) Other cause for joy, the 39mm Bright Eyes Diffusers actually fit under the bezels, even though theyíre like a couple mm or three smaller in diameter than the original mineral glass cover lenses. Guess thereís room enough for both lenses together to ensure a proper seal. Also applied that d-c-fix Milky (aka Sand) self-adhesive film to one of their lenses for comparison sake. Both methods yielded good results, thereís a bit more noticeable a hotspot using two Bright Eyes criss-crossed/back to back than with the d-c-fix, which produces a softer, dimmer but wider hotspot inside the flood. So probably can get away with using them on my Ďbent this way without having to add on any of my home-brewed reflector shields (though you just know Iím gonna try Ďem for the sake of it. )

Should also mention, these came with their own charging cables ó USB to DC 3.5mm x 1.35mm 22AWG Power Cable 100cm, although the mini-review on BLF mentioned that none were included with his.

JKK03 mini review | BudgetLightForum.com

Oh and in case anybodyís interested, cobbled together the QR swivel mounts for my bike from stage lighting clamps. Had to replace the hex bolts and wingnuts that came with them for shorter button caps and nylock nuts to make them fit together, and line with high density foam to snug onto both the flashlights and bar ends. Also purchased some of the lighter but bulkier ABS clamps to go on the vertical members of the bikeís chopper bars where thereís the space for them; had to hot fuse nylock nuts inside those because the original indents only supported JIS hex bolts which are considerably narrower across the heads. Will update with additional pics when the weather calms enough for me to go mount them. And still havenít even installed the fairing for my SXP that necessitated this whole Rube Goldberg setup in the first place, Díoh!

Edit: See that there is another difference, units I received run Low-Medium-High-Turbo, donít have to double click for it.

Also my second unit is defective in that the power button always lights red when charging OR full, guess Iíll have to return it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperflyZ View Post
    The main problem was that it could only sustain it for about 15 minutes before turning off. I never figured out if it was a safety or the battery dying. Either way it would not turn on again before being completely recharged home. ......
    If you had and MJ900 that put out more than ~700 lumen and died after about 15 minutes, it was defective. Probably a bad driver allowing too much current to flow. This will create the extra brightness (and risk burning out the emitter) and trip the overcurrent safety circuit on the battery.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey Vanc, emailed you to buy 2 mounts for my Ituo XP3. Should I send another email. Thx

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Hey Vanc, emailed you to buy 2 mounts for my Ituo XP3. Should I send another email. Thx
    I sent a reply on Thursday to your cabike address. If you didn't get it, I can copy it to a PM here. Let me know.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    HL01 order placed, looks like you guys are going to have to put up with my opinion of this light too. Appreciate the input (Andy, Garry, and especially Lostplaces).
    Sheesh, made my first order for a flashlight(2xHL01), might as well get another hobby.

Ordered without battery, can youse guys (gary, mole, andy, lost) recommend batteries?

Pref US shipped.

Thx in advance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    https://www.18650batterystore.com/Sa...ncr18650ga.htm

Am assuming the Astrolux takes flat top cells not button.

Did you order the SST20 4000K Warm White or an XPL?

And which color flashlight body?

mtbr member
    Astrolux HL01 SST20 4000K Gun-grey

Not sure button or flat.

Quote Originally Posted by andychrist View Post

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Huh, from the pic on BG of Iím guessing the optional battery? it looks like a button top but Iíve never seen any single cell flashlight that didnít work with flat tops (which are a whole $3 less per piece at the 18650BatteryStore. Oh and they ship real fast, like same day, from Smyrna GA.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Astrolux HL01 SST20 4000K Gun-grey

Not sure button or flat.
    any 18650 works in the astrolux.
    the only think that i not like is that they not make from two sides springs.
    i will replace on the driver by myself the metall think with a berilium spring.

i prefer Sanyo 18650GA for all 1x18650 lights, its the best performer.

i got yesterday my SST-20 to and try i out on the bike for one hour.

Quick some relevant specs:

XP-L HD 4000K= 1400 lumen max with 11.000 Lux throw= good allround light.
    SST-20 4000K high CRI= 800 lumen max with 15.000 lux throw= ~90% more focused beam but still very usefull spill.

its not build in the best bin from this SST-20 series like astrolux promised but a very good one.

i like the SST-20 version more on the bike.

i have limit the driver with 53 klicks to ~ 1,9-2 Amps constant current draw what is ~ 1,5 Hours runtime with a 3000mah battery on this setting the SST-20 throws ~8.000 Lux, and the LED in a good effizenz ratio vs output.

i try make some screensshots to compare this weekend XP-L HD vs SST-20 versions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    any 18650 works in the astrolux.
    the only think that i not like is that they not make from two sides springs.
    i will replace on the driver by myself the metall think with a berilium spring.

i prefer Sanyo 18650GA for all 1x18650 lights, its the best performer.
    Ah, that must be why Banggood offers a button top for the HL01, because it only has a spring on one side. But yeah, the Sanyo 18650GA flat tops will work okay there too and are a lot cheaper than their buttons. Thanks for the info, lostplaces.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Delete double post

mtbr member
    XP-L HD 4000K= 1400 lumen max with 11.000 Lux throw= good allround light.
    SST-20 4000K high CRI= 800 lumen max with 15.000 lux throw= ~90% more focused beam but still very usefull spill.
    Thanks for the measurements . Both versions look like they should make good helmet lights. Along with a SST-20 version I also ordered a 5000K XP-L model, do you think there will be any performance difference between that and the 4000K XP-L version? Also do you think the Armytek mount I've been using with my SP40 will work OK with the HL01?
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrist View Post

Thanks for that Batterystore link. Nice to see another option for buying loose Li-ion cells sold in the USA. ( Ga. in this case ) Along with the Orbtronic website that I often recommend, that makes two great websites in the USA that sell batteries and other related hardware such as chargers at a great price.

mtbr member
    My favorite source for Li-Ions is now Liion Wholesale in Phoenixville, PA.

I've just ordered a couple of the LG HG2 high drain 18650's on clearance and one of the highly acclaimed Molicel P42A 21700's.

I still support Mountain Electronics too.

-Garry

mtbr member
    We picked up some Giant Recon HL 1600's on Black Friday for $80/CAD each. I can't say enough good things about these lights! I have tried a bunch of other, more expensive lights and none of them lasted more than 2 hours in cold. winter conditions. These lights have yet to die on us after 4 hours and at temps colder than -20C with howling wind. We usually use them on medium and rode for 2+ the first night and the charge indicator light still said >70%. Forgot the light in the cold garage over night, rode again the next evening for another 2+ hours and still showed more than 40%. I find them to be plenty bright and am super impressed with the mounting options that they came with. I will definitely pick up some of the 900's for our helmets next time they ar on sale.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Howling wind, -20 for 4 hours. That's insane!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Howling wind, -20 for 4 hours. That's insane!
    Well, just over 2 hours each night, 2 nights in a row. We aren't that crazy! Didn't charge the lights between nights and forgot them in the cold garage overnight too. That's awesome!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12